Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    I can't get over how different this England set up is with a change of mentality. 

No doubt in my mind that we would've been skittled out for 200 or less a year ago
    100% this
  • Options
    Unbelievable, we’re gonna chase down another monster …
    I said to a friend lay England we’re never chasing that at 3.95 that’s buying money 
    This against this attack will be the best of the lot if we do it 
  • Options
    After forking out for the original game at old Trafford last year that was called off at the last minute after a nasty bout of IPL induced Covid' in the Indian camp ,nothing will make me laugh harder than watching them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    With the exception of Root, I wonder who was the last English batsman before Bairstow to hit three hundreds and two unbeaten 50s in five consecutive Test innings (which might become four hundreds and one unbeaten 50)?
    Has Root done it?  I don't know if he has or not.

The ones that came to mind were Cook and Vaughan in Australia but don't think they did. Cook had the horror of the WACA right in the middle. 

This really is a remarkable run of form. 

The summer of Pudsey! 
    I thought Root must have done so but the nearest he's got is 64-109-180*-33-121. Cook once achieved in six consecutive innings 82-189-133-96-106-55. Vaughan's best run from five innings was 100-197-61-15-195.
    Sorry I probably could look it up myself but when was Cook and Vaughan's best streaks? 
    Cook's run started with the last two innings of the 2010-11 Ashes series in Australia (although his actual scores in that series were 67-235*-148-32-13-82-189) and concluded with his four innings in the home series against Sri Lanka later in 2011 (he then had a somewhat inconsistent series that summer against India with scores of 12-1-2-5-294-34).

Vaughan's run took place in the 2002 home series against India where he started with a duck followed by those five scores above and ended it with 47*.

• Options
    I can't get over how different this England set up is with a change of mentality. 

No doubt in my mind that we would've been skittled out for 200 or less a year ago
    So much of England's test cricket success, or lack of it, is down to mentality.  And luck.

We didn’t won the 2005 Ashes just because we suddenly had more better players.  We didn't transform the white ball teams just through having better players.

Potts is a great example of both.  Who honestly had him as a shoe in for the 3 SA tests in February?  It's him plus 2 of Anderson, Broad and A N Other for all 3 tests now.

Different captain he might not have got picked, wouldn't have had the same field settings, probably wouldn't have been backed as much, wouldn't have bowled the same lines.  I could go on.
  • Options
    For all the talk of Bazball, neither Root nor Bairstow played reckless shots, instead they pressurised the bowlers by punishing the bad balls ruthlessly and took loads of quick singles.

Indeed it was only Lees who was proactively aggressive from the start.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

100% this
    It’s almost as though playing your natural game (whether it’s positivity or otherwise) is going to produce the best possible results. Who’d have thought?

Trying to get Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow to play any differently was always a huge mistake. Rather than making them better, it had the opposite effect.
  • Options
    Just popping in to say how well Crawley (Creepy as I call him), was playing until he got an absolute snorter which would have bowled many a top player from any era ……but did he do enough to satisfy his detractors?
    I hope so.
    the third man from hussain just after he got out was fantastic. Showing all the deliveries crawley left perfectly, that before this match he would have gone after. Forced the bowlers to bowl straighter, which he loves and then when the ball got old he could go after the wider ones. Form is temporary but showing you're adapting your game when you get found out is the key attribute for a great test batsman. I agree, it was an absolute jaffer to get him out. 
    I'm delighted with the improvement too, but the approach that Hussain describes is Opening Batsman 101.  Why wasn't Crawley and others already aware of the need to leave the wide ball?  How do you get to that level without understanding that?

Boycott, Atherton, Cook etc would roll their collective eyes after Nasser's 'third man'.

Test cricket is a five-day game.  A dot ball, lots of dot balls are OK if it means that you survive until conditions are more in the batman's favour.  You don't have to chase everything outside the off stump.

Crawley and others suffer from the white-ball mentality ... looking to score off the majority of the deliveries faced.  This is high-risk at Test level.  It's coming off at the moment, but it's high-risk, so don't be surprised if it goes wrong too.

Now ... on to this morning.

COYE
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh another ball change.... What a suprise! 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Just popping in to say how well Crawley (Creepy as I call him), was playing until he got an absolute snorter which would have bowled many a top player from any era ……but did he do enough to satisfy his detractors?
    I hope so.
    the third man from hussain just after he got out was fantastic. Showing all the deliveries crawley left perfectly, that before this match he would have gone after. Forced the bowlers to bowl straighter, which he loves and then when the ball got old he could go after the wider ones. Form is temporary but showing you're adapting your game when you get found out is the key attribute for a great test batsman. I agree, it was an absolute jaffer to get him out. 
    I'm delighted with the improvement too, but the approach that Hussain describes is Opening Batsman 101.  Why wasn't Crawley and others already aware of the need to leave the wide ball?  How do you get to that level without understanding that?

Boycott, Atherton, Cook etc would roll their collective eyes after Nasser's 'third man'.

Test cricket is a five-day game.  A dot ball, lots of dot balls are OK if it means that you survive until conditions are more in the batman's favour.  You don't have to chase everything outside the off stump.

Crawley and others suffer from the white-ball mentality ... looking to score off the majority of the deliveries faced.  This is high-risk at Test level.  It's coming off at the moment, but it's high-risk, so don't be surprised if it goes wrong too.

Now ... on to this morning.

COYE
    I've explained for years the reasons why we don't produce Test openers and that is because of the insistence of Strauss back in 2015 that not just England but County age group teams concentrate on white ball. From that point onwards all the emphasis of training changed from knowing where your off stump is to how many runs can I score off this ball - the starting point being six, then four etc etc.

I just checked and this is the breakdown on games scheduled and played by Kent U18s last season:

Red ball 4 day games - 7
    White ball 50 over games - 7
    White ball T20 matches - 24

I know I am like a warped record here but that is what makes Ben Compton so different - getting his first meaningful contract at this year at 28 (and spending a lot of time in South Africa too) meant that he avoided all of this. I watched him score a ton on Saturday at Club level and he made everything look so simple and easy. Yes that was a club game but it's only what he's been doing for Kent - over 1,000 runs while Crawley has struggled to average 30 at the other end. I spoke to someone in the Kent set up who trains and has played with him and he says he practises relentlessly against 90mph bowling but within the confines of those three or four run scoring shots. The rest of the time it is block or leave.

• Options
    Oh how I love when a ball change backfires! 
  • Options
    Can't believe how nervous I am this morning! 
  • Options
    It wasn't that long ago that Root had a major issue with his 100 conversion rate!
  • Options
    On a train in Deutschland this morning, so having to rely on CricIndia again. The commentary is SO sulky. Complaining about how lucky England are, criticising loose shots, but failing to celebrate good ones, no criticism of multiple questionable ball changes, refusing to acknowledge that 300 has come up. It’s pretty pathetic. Funny though.

Edit: One contributor has asked “Are they playing with a tomato?” Which made me laugh. Also, at least they acknowledged the 200 partnership.
  • Options
    It wasn't that long ago that Root had a major issue with his 100 conversion rate!
    It was only weeks ago that he didn't have a 4th innings ton....

He is making YJB look out of nick he is playing that well.
  • Options
    way to ruin a great morning "and next up on commentary is x and Kevin Pietersen!" please god no.
  • Options

• Options
    It's ridiculous the form these two are in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England have scored at over 5 an over in the first hour, without taking many risks.  Rotat the strike and put the bad balls away.....
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Is it just me or is this highest run chance not as good as what Stokes did at Headingley in 2019 ?  This one might be the "highest" but it's not as significant or awe inspiring. In a way I wished we didnt make it as Stokes' efforts will now not be "recognised" .....iyswim. 
  • Options
    I noticed Root went from 83 to 108 without Bairstow scoring a single run
  • Options
    Is it just me or is this highest run chance not as good as what Stokes did at Headingley in 2019 ?  This one might be the "highest" but it's not as significant or awe inspiring. In a way I wished we didnt make it as Stokes' efforts will now not be "recognised" .....iyswim. 
    Yep, just you, Golfie.  It always is.  
  • Options
    It's far less tense as England have made it look so easy this morning, but an incredibly impressive team batting performance rather than one individual

• Options
    Is Joe Root the only batsman in the world who could make the 2022 version of Bairstow look pedestrian? 
  • Options
    Root is taking the piss now. Love it.
  • Options
    Steady on Root, Jonny still needs 3 runs for his century  :D
  • Options
    I love this attacking play. I think it is how England have to play.