Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    What’s aftertime ? 
  • Options
    Also not 'after-timing' here, but IMO there is no logical reason to win toss bowl on a decent track in a T20, where there are no considerations regarding dew.
  • Options
    What’s aftertime ? 
    The comment certainly isn't aimed at you or the vast majority of those on this thread but, for the sake of explanation, it using the result or performance from one match, for example, to knock the previously opinion expressed of another. That opposite opinion of theirs is rarely expressed before the event. It's a bit like the punter who only ever shows you their winning bets. 
  • Options
    Halve the problem is Butlers captaincy imho.
  • Options
    What’s aftertime ? 
    The comment certainly isn't aimed at you or the vast majority of those on this thread but, for the sake of explanation, it using the result or performance from one match, for example, to knock the previously opinion expressed of another. That opposite opinion of theirs is rarely expressed before the event. It's a bit like the punter who only ever shows you their winning bets. 
    Thanks - haven’t heard that before ! 
  • Options
    What’s aftertime ? 
    Hope your not including me in after time, I made the comments about Topley being a good bowler between innings before he took 6-24
  • Options
    the wicketkeeper should not captain a short form team, especially 20/20 .. all the running up to chat to the bowler between deliveries just does not work .. problem with England is who else can do the job ? .. solution, play Buttler as a batsman, Bairstow, Salt to keep wicket .. Buttler must also get to grips with his batting .. bash 16 off 3 balls, then relax a bit, don't try to hit every ball for 6 or 4 .. the SAs pace their innings superbly today, England were feeble and clueless .. Roy ?, time's up
  • Options
    the wicketkeeper should not captain a short form team, especially 20/20 .. all the running up to chat to the bowler between deliveries just does not work .. problem with England is who else can do the job ? .. solution, play Buttler as a batsman, Bairstow, Salt to keep wicket .. Buttler must also get to grips with his batting .. bash 16 off 3 balls, then relax a bit, don't try to hit every ball for 6 or 4 .. the SAs pace their innings superbly today, England were feeble and clueless .. Roy ?, time's up
    Dhoni didn’t do a bad job of it . 
  • Options
    I do wonder how many more chances Roy will get at the top of the order? I think he goes to the World Cup but I wouldn't mind Phil Salt getting a look. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I do wonder how many more chances Roy will get at the top of the order? I think he goes to the World Cup but I wouldn't mind Phil Salt getting a look. 
    Didn’t JRoy have a break from the game recently.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dhoni didn't open the batting 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Didn’t JRoy have a break from the game recently.  

He received a suspended two-game ban from international cricket after admitting a charge of "conducting himself in a manner which may be prejudicial to the interests of cricket or which may bring the game into disrepute". There have been numerous theories as to what the charge related to but, suffice, to say, he opted to take a break at the beginning of the season, saying that the constant "bubbles" and not seeing his new born baby had taken their toll on him.  

Roy's issue is that he loves facing pace. Most sides now opt to open the bowling against him with a spinner one end and a seamer bowling slower ball cutters the other. The time and trouble analysts take to look at every scoring option and the strength and weaknesses of batsmen (so much so that one county three analysts at an U18 age group game last season to evaluate their own batsmen/bowlers as well as the opposition) that very little isn't known to them. The game has also evolved to the extent that bowlers can make batsmen hit the ball to where they want it to go. Roy might just have been worked out or he might just have totally fallen out of love with the game. The fact is he is running out of time.
  • Options

Do you really Think that makes a difference in T20 ? If he batted lower down like Dhoni he could be batting at the end of the innings and then have to come straight out to keep ? 
  • Options
    Hmm.

Wonder why this thread is near the bottom of page 2 now ? 
    Too many games to even keep track of. I didn't realise that there was even a game today until the innings break.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Do you really Think that makes a difference in T20 ? If he batted lower down like Dhoni he could be batting at the end of the innings and then have to come straight out to keep ? 
    He could find himself in that situation but Dhoni batted much lower down than Buttler ever would and only ever hit two fifties in 85 innings compared to Buttler's one hundred and 15 fifties from 86 innings - so Dhoni had far less time in the middle and far more time to take stock of what was going on from the side lines. 

The other thing to bear in mind is this. Buttler has no history of captaining sides. He is having to learn how to do that on the highest possible stage and yet still retain his ability to impact the game with the bat. These are the stats for when he has captained/not captained the side in T20Is:

As non captain in T20Is - 75 innings, 1 hundred and 14 fifties @ an average of 34.54
    As captain in T20Is - 11 innings, 1 fifty @ an average of 23.45

If we break those 11 innings as captain even further then his scores, when England have batted second, are 2, 0, 4, 29 & 14 = 49 runs at 9.80.

In the post match evaluation tonight there was some distinct criticism from Morgan and Pollock about the bowling plans. These are agreed between bowler and captain and Morgan and Pollock would have had clear ideas to convey to the bowlers for them to execute those plans. As much as I don't have much time for Morgan because I do feel that he has always had an agenda so far as the Hundred and his career specifically is concerned, he hasn't held back in that respect and he also heavily criticised the whole batting ethos today. In fact, when was the last time an England white ball team was told to "get on with it" by the crowd? 
  • Options
    Having just watched the highlights, that was dismal. Other than our bowling at the start of the Saffer innings, we were thumped today. 

We seem a very one dimensional team, it was noted on the BBC that when S Africa weren't scoring boundaries, at least they were getting twos, whereas our batters just smacked it to the boundary fielders for singles.
  • Options
    These short white ball series are struggling to gain wider public interest. As seen by the tiny number of posts on this thread for the white ball games when compared to the Teste beforehand.

Whereas Test series, even a 3 match one, feel like a major event, the white ball ones just don't have the same excitement, they feel a bit like England football Nations League games or pre tournament friendly, the warm up games before major tournaments, the World Cups (and Champions Trophy) where white ball international competitions really come into their own.
  • Options
    These short white ball series are struggling to gain wider public interest. As seen by the tiny number of posts on this thread for the white ball games when compared to the Teste beforehand.

Whereas Test series, even a 3 match one, feel like a major event, the white ball ones just don't have the same excitement, they feel a bit like England football Nations League games or pre tournament friendly, the warm up games before major tournaments, the World Cups (and Champions Trophy) where white ball international competitions really come into their own.
    I agree,Test cricket is much more important to me, yesterday I could not wait to watch England Women in the Euro final, what a great win for them, I watched the early part of the cricket but the football took first place
  • Options

I agree,Test cricket is much more important to me, yesterday I could not wait to watch England Women in the Euro final, what a great win for them, I watched the early part of the cricket but the football took first place
    I prefer Test cricket,  but even amongst white ball fans, these short series do feel a bit unimportant against World Cups, and dare I say it the big franchise events. 

S Africa cancelling a 50 over series against Australia because it clashes with their new domestic T20 competition, is a sign of where things are heading.
  • Options
    I was waiting for that .. anymore examples ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Do you think England's home ODI and T20 series would garner more coverage and support if they were tri-series?  For example, if we'd had an ODI series and a T20 series this Summer between England, India and South Africa?  

It wouldn't always work, because the matches between the two visiting teams wouldn't always get big crowds.  However, any matches in the UK involving India and to a lesser extent, Australia, would usually draw capacity crowds.  It could work even be a way to provide revenue to some of the more cash-strapped national cricket boards. 
  • Options

I always watch the games, but I have to say I'm less than enthused.
    I thought it was just me.
    I don't think it helps my enthusiasm playing these games in Bristol, Cardiff and Southampton.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't and am fine with them doing so, but it doesn't feel as important as matches at the bigger venues.

A bit like if England football team played at the above venues.
  • Options
    We're going to the Lord's Test On Friday 19th.
    There are train strikes on the 18th & 20th and a possible tube strike on the 19th  :'(  
  • Options

This won't wash with ECB until TV sponsorship collapses.  It might have a few new faces in public fronting roles but ECB is still only about cash revenue to the exclusion of anything else.  "England" cricket is currently being flogged mercilessly.  White and red ball "series" overlapping against different opposition, even home and away.
    ECB has been devotedly plugged into the teat of TV cash for longer than we can remember.  The organisational structure and personnel are so blinded to their responsibility they won't even recognise the stable door to bolt long after the TV money horse has legged it over the horizon.
    The domestic game, there's no merit in calling it the County game anymore, has too much cricket by an order of magnitude, to the detriment of all 4 'competitions'.
    The hundred has brought some more attention to the Women's game but at the expense of any coherent strategy and the savage discarding of the counties who provided any form of women's game before the ECB stole the "product".  18 or 20 contracted internationals is no compensation for the dismantling of the rest of the women's game.  Even the Emperor's New Clothes Hundred is depleted this year for the women by idiotic scheduling against the Commonwealth Games.  "ECB seriously wants cricket in the Olympics"  Nobody at the ECB knows where the next Olympics is taking place nor could find it on a map, unless and until someone at Sky or Indian TV delivers a truck full of cash.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

This won't wash with ECB until TV sponsorship collapses.  It might have a few new faces in public fronting roles but ECB is still only about cash revenue to the exclusion of anything else.  "England" cricket is currently being flogged mercilessly.  White and red ball "series" overlapping against different opposition, even home and away.
    ECB has been devotedly plugged into the teat of TV cash for longer than we can remember.  The organisational structure and personnel are so blinded to their responsibility they won't even recognise the stable door to bolt long after the TV money horse has legged it over the horizon.
    The domestic game, there's no merit in calling it the County game anymore, has too much cricket by an order of magnitude, to the detriment of all 4 'competitions'.
    The hundred has brought some more attention to the Women's game but at the expense of any coherent strategy and the savage discarding of the counties who provided any form of women's game before the ECB stole the "product".  18 or 20 contracted internationals is no compensation for the dismantling of the rest of the women's game.  Even the Emperor's New Clothes Hundred is depleted this year for the women by idiotic scheduling against the Commonwealth Games.  "ECB seriously wants cricket in the Olympics"  Nobody at the ECB knows where the next Olympics is taking place nor could find it on a map, unless and until someone at Sky or Indian TV delivers a truck full of cash.
    The international calendar is impossible to follow as well, with so many separate red and white ball tours going on, with players flying in with minimal chance to acclimatise, playing a few matches then flying out again. For example

The final Test against S Africa finishes on the 12th September,
    A T20 series of SEVEN matches in Pakistan starts on the 15th September
    Then in October we play 3 T20s in Australia against Australia BEFORE the T20 World Cup
    T20 World Cup in October/November
    A 3 match ODI series against Australia in mid November
    A 3 match TEST series in Pakistan in November/December
    2 Tests in New Zealand in February

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:

The international calendar is impossible to follow as well, with so many separate red and white ball tours going on, with players flying in with minimal chance to acclimatise, playing a few matches then flying out again. For example

The final Test against S Africa finishes on the 12th September,
    A T20 series of SEVEN matches in Pakistan starts on the 15th September
    Then in October we play 3 T20s in Australia against Australia BEFORE the T20 World Cup
    T20 World Cup in October/November
    A 3 match ODI series against Australia in mid November
    A 3 match TEST series in Pakistan in November/December
    2 Tests in New Zealand in February

So much for cricket doing its bit to reduce our carbon footprint. The total number of air miles for cricketers that compete both for their country and for franchises must be astronomical. The issue is that all the international boards and franchise owners want an even bigger slice of the cake hence these mini tours that have to be wedged into the programme.
  • Options
    The whole future tours program is a farce.

I have completely lost track on who England are playing, where and if its T20 or an ODI.  Its relentless.

I would love to know Sky's viewing figures for the last two hours of yesterday's game.

The game needs to ask a serious question of itself.

Is it run in the best interests of its self?  Almost certainly not.

You see test matches, around the world, played in empty stadiums, it's very sad.
  • Options
    Robinson back and Crawley still in the squad

May be an image of 1 person playing a sport and text that says B B C SPORT ENGLAND TEST SQUAD Ben Stokes SAO James Anderson Jonny Bairstow Stuart Broad Galloways Accounting Harry Brook Zak Crawley Ben Foakes Jack Leach Alex Lees Craig Overton Matthew Potts Ollie Pope Ollie Robinson Joe Root St GM
  • Options
    Bairstow has stuck two fingers up to The Hundred and won't play for the Welsh Fire. Excellent. Need more players to do so too.
    With the bonkers schedule for Bairstow playing all 3 formats, that's a sensible decision. I can't imagine a proud Yorkie like him would exactly be thrilled playing in Cardiff anyway for the least credible of the 8 franchises.