Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

Comments

• Options
    A real flat performance and a missed opportunity to even have a chance at having a go at the play offs. I can't wait for this season to be over so we can shift on the deadwood and start getting ready for next year.

Sloppy individual errors to gift them goals and opportunities is the most annoying thing. Pearce and Famewo had absolute stinkers and while Clare was alright, it was a needless foul and cost us a point. There bloke should have been sent off and it might have had an impact for us, but you have to deal with what you're dealt and we didn't do that. The whole defence needs a rocket and a re-think. 

Fraser has to start the next game, Gilbey was poor and should drop down to the bench.

I can't wait for Stockley to come back, we miss him so much. I imagine he'd love playing with Fraser.   
  • Options
    I often post straight after full time cos you get the raw emotion at full time (and then laugh at yourself a few days later for getting so wound up).  So here it goes.

Pearce looked like a stiff 30 something centre half who’s not played for weeks on end, oh wait.

Famewo looked like a clumsy under 14.

Bolton went in twice as hard, and if they didn’t get there first they left a bit in, call me old fashioned but there’s still a market for such shithousery in league one, it’s effective, we on the other hand looked like scared boys at times who just met each other.  

Completely void of any imagination and creativity, and anonymous up front.  The single positive was Fraser, nothing else.

It was the type of performance you’d expect away to a northern side 20 points ahead of you in the league, but they weren’t, they were on the same points, they looked hungry we looked like we were stuck in 3rd gear.

Once again, 2021/22 is my worst season I can remember because of the air of expectation we had back in august, Charlton Athletic season over in February in league one, utterly demoralising and depressing and the sort of season at my age (mid 30s with young kids) that makes you genuinely lose long term interest in it all and considering something else to do come 3pm on a Saturday.

Bollocks.
  • Options
    Jason Pearce has been a great pro for us over a number of years. 

But tonight must surely be his last game for us. He was so bad it was embarrassing and if he hadn't of been taken off, he would have been sent off.

Thanks Jason but time to concentrate on your coaching career. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    First half crap, second half not quite so crap. 
    Fraser must start....end of post..goodnight!
    Sorry must add it was a defo red for the tackle on Dobo....night!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible game of football. League one is jank.
    And unfortunately best get used to it, as we aren't going anywhere anytime soon
  • Options
    I'd sum it up as pfffffffffffff
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jackson is not a happy bunny in his post match interview. Understandably 
    He can moan as much as he likes, but his shit formation doesn't work, signing 4 players in January and none of them starting and 2 not in the squad his decision. Makes changes too late. Plays too many players out of position, DJ at left wing back is just a pathetic choice. Clare however well he has done at center half he is not a center half, its not like we have been good defensively this season, play him as a midfielder. However we managed to mug Chelsea off for nearly £2m for Burstow is ridiculous, he never gets involved I'm not sure I can ever remember him actually dribbling with the ball or trying to take someone on. Play Aneke not Burstow and if Aneke is not fit enough to play each game then more fool them for signing him back on a long contract.
  • Options
    It's worth looking at the stats, both sides were shocking, we actually had more shots. Bolton had the not so original idea of getting Pearce and Famewo turned around. Those two players were the reason why we looked so fragile and then the normally reliable Clare gives a needless free kick away. You won't get your midfield dominating when they are constantly trying to cover for the back two who were all over the place, not only could they not defend, they couldn't pass. Can't wait for Elsewere and Ness to come through.
  • Options
    Positives: I saved a tenner by not watching this crap
    Negatives: I think my boiler is starting to make funny noises
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2022
    Davo55 said:

A rubbish game. 70 minutes of unadulterated crap from Charlton then three positive substitutions and an astute (albeit overdue) tactical change by Jacko brought us right back in it, only to concede again quickly to leave us chasing the game again.

I’m particularly disappointed with our discipline. We gave away so many stupid and pointless free kicks and predictably paid the price in conceding from a resultant free kick yet again. I lost count of how many yellow cards we racked up but most of them were totally avoidable.

Defensively, we were all over the place. Famewo was badly at fault for their opener and looked uncertain throughout. Pearcey was given the run around by Dion Charles. We very badly missed Ryan Inniss but it was good to see Sam Lavelle come in and do well.

Scott Fraser did well, with a great cross for our goal and he was a tad unlucky not to grab a late equaliser. He’ll be a very good player for us and I’d love to see him start next match.

Really frustrating night that must surely, finally, put paid to any lingering hopes of a late run to the play offs.

Sums it up for me.
    Fraser was a positive. Sam Lavelle back is good as well. Jackson switching formation was good. Really frustrating avoidable mistakes in the match though. Clare foul for the free kick for the goal was particularly unnecessary, but the whole team gave away dumb bookings and free kicks, loose passes and dumb mistakes (Faemwo) throughout the match. League One it looks next season, so time to start preparing, get the key transfer business done early, contracts settled of those that are staying and the main team in place for a decent pre-season.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    After the Adkins shambles and Sandgaard taking 5 games too long to sack him let’s not kid ourselves, staying up is definitely a success of some degree.
  • Options
    To me that’s the season there....it’s over. Like to see Kanu and Williams get a shot at the first team. Good luck to the U18s. Go win the FA Cup youth cup and give us something to be proud of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only managed to catch most of the second half, we really struggled to string simple passes together. They are mentally weak IMHO. 
    If we are seriously going to try for promotion next season, a lot of these players have to be changed. 
  • Options
    @Swisdom any young players you feel are close enough to get a couple of games now we look more and more unlikely to leave this league either way. 
  • Options
    We lost...shit happens, didn't deserve much more truth be told, I just feel for those hardy souls who spent their hard earnt to travel up to Bolton on a shit Tuesday night, and as we think about getting some shuteye they are trying to catch the last train out of town, THEY deserved a whole lot more,.. respect to them, as for most of the team tonight, well shame they didn't turn up as well... B)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    CH4RLTON said:
    I’m offering a different view on things instead of saying we are just shit. On back three wins albeit not vintage wins although Portsmouth away we did look good, we came here against a team who are clearly on the up. For those just saying shit tactics, just because we lost , I don’t think could have done much else considering Bolton’s line up. The first half looked awful and even more so given the fact akin made an howler and let them score , but look at what happened to Sunderland when they came here recently. Fair play to Jacko for keeping us in the game , we could have gone more attacking early and got run over . We changed shaped and made the changes at the right time got on top and scored. We made another silly error giving away a free kick when we really didn’t need to, 2-1. We should have nicked a point late on but are  we’re just shit NO, people just look at result and say Shit 
    Excellent post. Jackson did a lot right tonight (except the starting line-up). You could tell he knew it too from how broken he sounded at the end
  • Options
    Jason Pearce has been a great pro for us over a number of years. 

But tonight must surely be his last game for us. He was so bad it was embarrassing and if he hadn't of been taken off, he would have been sent off.

Thanks Jason but time to concentrate on your coaching career. 
    This.

Once we’re safe (I think we are but for definite) we should just play Elewere instead, no reason not too.
  • Options
    I don't think Pearce or Faemwo look comfortable in a 352 - they are too slow. Hoping that Johnnie Jackson can adjusts formation to the players he has got. The switch to a 442 Charlton looked much better.