Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

Comments

• Options
    I guess the playoffs may well be gone now. Gutted. Never felt such a disconnect from a bunch of players in my years supporting the club. Maybe a sign of the times more than anything. Bolton were not even that good. They simply knew their game plan and executed it. 
  • Options
    Famewo seems to have all the faults of Naby Sarr minus the good points.
    I think, like Naby, he always needs a commanding leader alongside him, he needs his own Bauer.  I’d sign him up still he’s still young and there is some talent in there, just needs nurturing.  
  • Options
    I think, like Naby, he always needs a commanding leader alongside him, he needs his own Bauer.  I’d sign him up still he’s still young and there is some talent in there, just needs nurturing.  
    He is much better, although not perfect, with Inniss.  The first goal was partly Pearce's fault for being out of position in the first place. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    There was more to the first goal than being an awful mistake by Famewo. We were given a drop-ball by the ref without any contest and decided to lose it in a very attacking position, leading to a hoof and the usual comedy act. Pearce couldn't be bothered to run to the goalline to try and bail his teammate out, who instead after the initial cockup, slipped and continued to the line. Awful collective play and teamwork. Take a look on the highlights. 

Why can't we just do what other team's do and attack the opposite goal when in possession of the bloody ball!
  • Options
    Had a nights sleep.....comments still the same as last night.....the change for the game on Saturday has to be in my opinion - back 3 of Clare, Innis and Lavelle. Frazer in for Morgan or Gilbey, Aneke for Burstow.
    Based upon last night , Morgan and Gilbey need dropping, maybe Fraser and give Lee another go?🤷🏻‍♂️, Burstow  looked like a young lad just coming through and that’s not unexpected nor a dig, but maybe not as ready as we may have thought. Pearce, famewo shocking, DJ i just don’t get what motivates him because he switches on and off in an instant. Clare has been great but that one mistake has taken the gloss off a bit, lavelle looked ok coming on. Aneke I’m not a lover of, don’t enjoy his style of play, but I accept at the moment what he does is required in the set up. Dobbo and Washington were ok, matthews ok ish.
  • Options
    We’ve twice seen Pearce doing the same as Famewo did last night (ball played over the top, weak header back to the keeper intercepted by striker), but Nabbs was never guilty of that one. Let’s be clear, played correctly it’s a potent weapon against any side, and the defence needs to practice using their feet rather than trying to head a ball unless the keeper is near enough (which Mac often isn’t).  
  • Options
    For about 10 minutes last night I thought we were in with a chance. We had no clear game plan for the first hour. Why didn't we start Aneke with Burstow on the bench? Why didn't we play a back 5?

We weren't actively bad in my view, just looked under rehearsed and unimaginative.

11 games this season, lost by a margin of one goal, usually 0-1 or 1-2. This is the third season in a row where we haven't really functioned and everything dribbles away. Couldn't get it together to stay in the Championship in 2020, couldn't get promoted back up in 2021 or 2022.
  • Options
    The fact jacko thought our shape was good in first half yesterday is worrying. We looked so disjointed until the formation change. We lost most of the 50/50s and got overrun at times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some thoughts on last nights game and our future aspirations.

Bolton closed us down quickly throughout the game. They looked quicker, played effectively as a team, dictated the pace and continually disrupted our play.  We had no answer to that. When we have used these same tactics ourselves we have won well. Too many players had a poor game.

IMO we have lacked a strong captain for too long now (like a Kinsella).  JJ desparately needs to be able to transfer his authority onto the field as well as manging and coaching from the dugout.

JJ also has the unwelcome and inherited problem of the requirement to manage players time because of their long term injuries. These same players, when they are missing, have a big impact on our ability to win games. Because of this unwanted weakness we have been unable to field our strongest eleven in too many games. When they have played together we prove we can beat anyone in the league. Future recruitment must avoid repeating this gamble if we are to have any chance to get out of this league. 

This season looks to be over now so I would like to see us play our strongest team every week from now on. When some drop out I would like to see us turn to our best and most ready youngsters to give them an opportunity to experience first team football in preparation for next season. 

• Options
    mendonca said:
    There was more to the first goal than being an awful mistake by Famewo. We were given a drop-ball by the ref without any contest and decided to lose it in a very attacking position, leading to a hoof and the usual comedy act. Pearce couldn't be bothered to run to the goalline to try and bail his teammate out, who instead after the initial cockup, slipped and continued to the line. Awful collective play and teamwork. Take a look on the highlights. 

Why can't we just do what other team's do and attack the opposite goal when in possession of the bloody ball!
    This. There was another occasion in the second half where we got a free kick just in our half. Instead of pushing everyone forward and then delivering the kick into the box, we took it short and then Bolton managed to push us back and the ball ended up with Mac. Why do we play that way with all these quick free kicks that get us nowhere? It must be on instructions but whatever it’s supposed to be achieving is not working.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We’ve twice seen Pearce doing the same as Famewo did last night (ball played over the top, weak header back to the keeper intercepted by striker), but Nabbs was never guilty of that one. Let’s be clear, played correctly it’s a potent weapon against any side, and the defence needs to practice using their feet rather than trying to head a ball unless the keeper is near enough (which Mac often isn’t).  
    Yep, I was getting a massive sense of deja vu while it was happening, going back to a game last season (Peterborough? Portsmouth?) where Pearce did exactly the same thing. To the extent that I only realised it was Famewo once the replay came up.

• Options
    Mac couldn't be blamed for last night's error. For me it is rushed, panicked decision making. 
  • Options
    It's strange isn't it.
    When he first started playing for us I thought he looked championship material. 
    What on earth has happened to him in his time with us to now make him look poor in league one. 
    Baffling. 
    Our coaching...

Maybe it's cunning plan to make him look poor, so that Norwich sell him to us cheaply
  • Options
    Hopefully Innis back Saturday, we really miss him.

Sooner Stockly is back the better.

Far too many half hearted tacklers in our midfield, Dobson apart.

Get Fraser in, DJ not tough enough for wing back against these sort of teams.

Horses for courses Jackson not one size fits all.
    He expects to be out for another month
  • Options
    I really really hate 3-5-2.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Hopefully Innis back Saturday, we really miss him.

Sooner Stockly is back the better.

Far too many half hearted tacklers in our midfield, Dobson apart.

Get Fraser in, DJ not tough enough for wing back against these sort of teams.

Horses for courses Jackson not one size fits all.
    He expects to be out for another month
    No need trying to rush him back this season. 
    Let him recover properly and be ready to hit the ground running for pre season. 
  • Options
    And that's why I wasnt planning a promotion party.

This is a core group of players that has performed highly on 3 separate occasions and massively underperformed on 3 separate occasions. 3 wins in a row wasn't changing that or the makings of an unbeaten winning streak (imo) 

The only positive to come out of losing is none of us can dress up the performance as a "hard fought away point". 

A lot of work to be done still.

• Options
    Any system will eventually be sussed out by teams coached well enough to do so. Atkins sides were found out by teams over manning the midfield, the current three at the back is now starting to look shaky by teams putting the ball over our centre backs and making them turn and in Famewo and Pearce that's like an oil tanker turning. Only Clare was able to recover from those positions because he has pace and a better awareness. If I have a criticism of Jacko, it's that he needed to go to four four two earlier but in fairness Famewo's screw up alters your thinking to how can we get back in this rather than concentrating on the two dancing centre backs. Bolton did ponce it in a game nobody deserved to win simply because they employed a simple tactic for the first and Clare decided to spare his two fellow centre half's blushes for the second. Even if Innis is fit, Jacko needs to work out how to stop his system being found out because the better sides in this division will gain more profit than Bolton did. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

This. There was another occasion in the second half where we got a free kick just in our half. Instead of pushing everyone forward and then delivering the kick into the box, we took it short and then Bolton managed to push us back and the ball ended up with Mac. Why do we play that way with all these quick free kicks that get us nowhere? It must be on instructions but whatever it’s supposed to be achieving is not working.
    Totally agree with this. It’s not very sophisticated, but this is L1 and it’ll do a job, especially when we have Inniss who’ll win a fair share of balls pumped into the box. 
  • Options
    jakecafc said:
    The fact jacko thought our shape was good in first half yesterday is worrying. We looked so disjointed until the formation change. We lost most of the 50/50s and got overrun at times.
    This is exactly it.  The formation, within reason, doesn't matter.  Against Ipswich we didn't loose a single 50/50 because there weren't any.  We were so sharp they were 60/40s in our favour.

Now we are chucking 352/3142 or what ever we are calling it what does everyone want?  Oh the diamond that was "dog shit" this time last year and was to blame for our bad form. 
  • Options
    Watched the game on a stream, on reflection, Santos having his sending off rescinded did us no favours.
    Played Burstow completely out of the game. Only when Chucks came on was he troubled.
    Would like to see Lavelle and Fraser start at Wigan. Also we need Inness and Chucks for 90 minutes.
    Sadly it seems Pearce and Famewo are a liability playing together. Shame Pearce been a great servant,
    part of the epic victory at Wembley, which sadly seems so long ago!
  • Options
    Burstow and Washington up front.
    Come on Jacko, what were you expecting? Seriously?
    Something different to the rest of us? And yet we were right? Seriously?
    Our chronic lack of creativity in midfield on display again.
    Defenders struggling with their opponent and all at sea against simple balls over the top.
    Basic errors that did for us, even as we threatened to turn the tide through the introduction of Fraser and Aneke.
    Also, to our players, if you want the points you have to want to win.
    I don't mean as an abstract desire in your head, I mean being driven and determined and making things happen. 
    We are so in transition still it's driving me to despair.
    How banal to be so reliant on a core of players who are so brittle that they are de facto unreliable.
    This isn't the core of a promotion squad. It needs wholesale improvement, preferably with fit, hungry players of sufficient quality.
    I've no idea if Jacko is up to the task but he needs time  and backing for now and key input into recruitment.
    I don't know what Tommy's budget will be. It isn't my money but I hope it is sufficient and wisely spent.
    My only decision is whether to invest my money in another season of third division mediocrity.
    (Like I'm gonna stop now!)

• Options
    Poor performance plus too many key players on the missing list = a frustrating loss. 😕
  • Options
    Burstow and Washington up front.
    Come on Jacko, what were you expecting? Seriously?
    Something different to the rest of us? And yet we were right? Seriously?
    Our chronic lack of creativity in midfield on display again.
    Defenders struggling with their opponent and all at sea against simple balls over the top.
    Basic errors that did for us, even as we threatened to turn the tide through the introduction of Fraser and Aneke.
    Also, to our players, if you want the points you have to want to win.
    I don't mean as an abstract desire in your head, I mean being driven and determined and making things happen. 
    We are so in transition still it's driving me to despair.
    How banal to be so reliant on a core of players who are so brittle that they are de facto unreliable.
    This isn't the core of a promotion squad. It needs wholesale improvement, preferably with fit, hungry players of sufficient quality.
    I've no idea if Jacko is up to the task but he needs time  and backing for now and key input into recruitment.
    I don't know what Tommy's budget will be. It isn't my money but I hope it is sufficient and wisely spent.
    My only decision is whether to invest my money in another season of third division mediocrity.
    (Like I'm gonna stop now!)

I share your view but what else was JJ supposed to do given Aneke is seemingly unable to play Saturday/midweek?

There is no-one else he could have played up front.

Maybe loaning Davison to Swindon wasn't such a smart move although I very much doubt if he had played last night things would have been much better.
  • Options
    In a Charlton team you know your forwards are going to have to graft and graft, rather than being 100% clinical with through balls coming from all sorts of angles. Burstown and Washington just too lightweight up top. The irony being both have cost their clubs near £3m combined (min) in transfer fees, so just goes to show the importance of combinations.
  • Options
    I would go out on a limb to say that every player in our squad, including all of those on the pitch last night, that performed well or otherwise, are able to put in a great performance. The problem is consistency. The is no way JJ can win this league if he has a set of players that can only perform to the best of their ability for 10, 20 or even 30 games a season or 30 minutes a game. That isn't how teams win promotion. The teams that get up, find a winning team and formation and stick to that with little requirement for change, because it works. What Jacko has is a whole team of fantastic Mr Occasional's (even wonder boy Dobson has his off days) but he needs 17+ Mr Consistent"s. Until this changes we are stuck in the third tier.