Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Smithy said:
    Terrifying that Sandgaard thinks this squad only needs a couple more players to be competitive. 
    As long as those 2 players are good quality, pacy wing backs then i'd agree.

We need to remember that last night we were missing Inniss, JFC, Stockley and we still have Fraser getting up to speed after not playing for a couple of months at Ipswich. That lot in the starting lineup and 2 decent wing backs and we'd without doubt be a promotion contender.

I just feel that until we sort out the wing backs, we'll just dip up and down, win a couple, lose a couple and go nowhere fast. Need to 100% prioritise 2 wing backs in the summer, and none of this dicking around until August. Get them in early so we're ready to attack next season from the off. 
  • Options
    Isn't League One fun!!???
  • Options
    Season 2021-22: One step forward then one step back. Result we are going nowhere with most of this squad. Please Jacko don't sign Famewo.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    We were a pretty good side after our much-needed changes of Burstow and Gilbey off and Aneke and Fraser on. They got one free-kick and scored from it; otherwise we looked very much on top. In Aneke's case, it shows what a bit of presence can do. In Fraser's case, it shows what a bit of footballing quality can. I hope more people are starting to see what I mean about Gilbey. Oh he's lovely on Twitter, sure. He runs around a lot! *Great Escape theme starts playing*
    He flatters to deceive.  He goes on these runs, does a lot of pointing, a lot tweeting, but there’s no end product.  Scored a decent goal
    against Ipswich.  His only other goal was against Hartlepool in the Papa Johns.  There are worse players than him, for sure, but I take issue with him because a lot of people think he’s good.  He’s not.  He just looks marginally better in among poor players.  We won’t go up if he’s a regular starter which he has been most of the season.

If Jackson wants to stick with this formation next season (I don’t know if he will), then we build the midfield 3 around Dobson, Fraser and one other.  

The league table does not lie after 30 games, a lot of this mob are mid-table league one cannon fodder.  Do we really want to be seeing the majority of this team in a shirt again next season?  

I chuckled tonight as I turned the build up on.  Minto quizzing Curbs about the play offs.  The same pathetic rubbish we were hearing this time last year.  ‘If we could just go on a run, if we put a few more wins together so and so get sucked into it.  The league is tight, on our day we can beat anyone’

I’m not having a go at them, just pointing out the futility and mediocrity of it all.  Exactly the same nonsense 12 months on.  Different personnel but the same uninspiring football, sprinkled with a win to get the stupid play off talk going again.  
    Last year we had a chance and got close , this year we have no chance and won’t get close ..
    on Charlton Tv they have to fill the air with waffle , on here our rose tinted ,unrealistic , pie in the sky crew will cling on to the fact it could happen even though we know it won’t happen .
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Not going to talk about the oerformance everything has been said,however. 
    People can say what they want about the squads quality but we would have picked up more points since Christmas with Stockley available, fact. Elliot for example fed on hold up play from Stockley a lot, to me not surprising his downturn in form.

I still think we have a decent spine, yes I don't think famewo is good enough,  and if we persist with this formation we need actual wingback but it's not a million miles away if and when everybody is fit.
    My two cents at least 
  • Options
    Absolute shit until we changed the formation.Let's stay with the diamond please.
  • Options
    We lost
  • Options
    I decided a couple of games ago to stop buying the streams because:

1. The season is basically dead. 
    2. The quality of football on offer is woeful and TV coverage does little to lift it. 
    3. I have precious little affinity with this team despite our recent blip (we won a few games!)
    4. Steve Brown’s relentless verbal diarrhoea really gets on my tits and I resent paying  when I have to turn the sound off. He has slowly grated on me to the point where I can’t stand it any more. 
    5.  Won’t be able to turn the telly on the way energy prices are going!

Messages from my WhatsApp group last night confirmed that my logic is impeccable. A shocking game and I gather our Steve was on particularly  irritating form.   Roll on next season when we can say farewell to a great many of this shower. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Famewo is young. Naby Sarr started awful but grew into it thanks to his bizarre contract, and last night's horror show by Famewo doesn't mean he's useless. Clare has been great this season, but his mistake led to their winner.
    I thought Bolton were gritty and sly, and they shut us down very quickly, and closed spaces until we changed shape and equalised. They then grabbed a winner, and we came unglued again, but still nearly grabbed an equaliser at the dearh. To be honest, last night was pure frustration to watch, we had mistakes everywhere. Albie served up a cracking pass in injury time, a few minutes after a terrible mistake on the edge of our box nearly ended the game. Pearce was a liability, and I think people are blinded by the Chelsea cash regarding Burstow. He's a young promise, and was never going to be number one choice this season. He looks much better coming on when defenders legs are going. Bear that in mind when asking us to see out the season with Elewere.

Just another tuesday night...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    People can say what they want about the squads quality but we would have picked up more points since Christmas with Stockley available, fact. Elliot for example fed on hold up play from Stockley a lot, to me not surprising his downturn in form.

I still think we have a decent spine, yes I don't think famewo is good enough,  and if we persist with this formation we need actual wingback but it's not a million miles away if and when everybody is fit.
    My two cents at least 
    Since Aneke has been back we have won three and drawn one of the games he has started.  We haven't won either of the games he hasn't.

We have won one game this season with neither starting.

It's not a million miles away when everyone is fit but everyone won't be fit, ever.   If Inniss had been 100% fit for every game since we signed him we would probably be in the championship now.

Last season it was when Gilbey and Maddison are fit the goals will start flying, then the center backs saga now if Stockley was fit.

If your hanging your hat on 2 or 3 key players playing every game you might draw the conclusion that either the others aren't very good or the manager needs to find away that works with what he has got. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Some match stats.  Only they are from the game at the Valley that everyone, including me, said should have been the end of Adkins. 

3 wins against not very good Fleetwood and Wimbledon and at fortress Fratton stopped this being a relegation fight.  There are things wrong much deeper than the manger. 

Sacking Adkins 3, 5 or even 7 games earlier would have only moved the problem forward a few games. 

We signed about 10 players in the summer most all of them have been a complete failer.

Clare has managed a unique double, his worst 2 games in a Charlton shirt have been against the same team in different positions. 

In the last 2 months we have reverted to the mean.  Now we go into the reverse of the first 4 fixtures.  Compare the players we now have available to the ones we had then.  If we get the same results the "has Jackson lost it" thread will be up and running by Easter.

Anyone that is still banging the if we had sacked Adkins earlier drum is in lala land.  If we had given the manager, who ever he/she was the tools to do the job we wouldn't be where we are.

There have been some efforts to correct the summer this winter.  Too little, too late. 

In April Jackson and Thomas, just them, need to sit down and agree what they need to do to get us promoted next season.  If Thomas doesn't agree Jackson should shake his hand and walk away. 
    Our best players this season were players we signed in the summer.  Dobson, Clare, Stockley, MacGillivray, Lavelle before injury, Lee in spells.

And whilst I agree this team in no way deserves promotion our record since Adkins speaks for itself (W9 D3 L5), we’d of definitely been better off sacking him earlier.  
    Dobson, Clare and Lavelle (who has only played 10 games) are the only ones that have been upgrades on what we had.  That's why we are worse.

If we had sacked Adkins after the Bolton game we could only have had a possible 6 more points and not everything else would be equal.  We would still be midtable because we ballsed our recruitment up. 

• Options
    I’ve said it loads on my blog but there aren’t enough leaders in the team. Innis has to play he is the most important player for the team. If he had been playing all season we would be in and around the  play offs now  After him Stockley and Dobson are strong. The rest of the team is bang average.Assuming Fraser is as good as we think it will help provide more creativity. I’d keep Washington and Clare. I don’t rate Famewo, I’d send him back. Morgan Gilbey and Lee ghost through games without ever imposing themselves , they are substitute material. 
    The biggest weaknesses are we need another imposing centre half like Innis ( maybe Lavelle or Ness). Then it’s finding another run all day tough uncompromising workhorse to play alongside Dobson. 
    If you have 4 or 5 regular strong leaders in the team it will frighten the rest of them into putting in 110% on a Tuesday night away at Bolton
    if we get lucky with injuries next season and recruit a couple of nasty leaders who can play a bit we will go close 
    If we let Innis go without replacing him with someone just as fearsome it will be a another  crap season

• Options
    Not going to comment on our performance as all has been said.
    What I will say is that as a squad we are woefully short of what is needed. 
    We only need 2 or 3 of our main players to be out and we then fall apart because those coming in are bot good enough. 
    Players like Inniss and Aneke cannot play Saturday,Tuesday etc so we have to make changes and this weakens us.
    We need to replace at least 6 or 7 players with better than what we have in the summer or else next season will be no different. 
    Over to you Thomas.
  • Options
    If we want to seriously compete next season, we need a total clear out of our defence. Only Lavelle and Innis should be in this team next season. I include the keeper in that clear out too. 
    We have to be ruthless, none of them are good enough. The table doesn’t lie and last night was the straw that broke the camels back. 
  • Options
    Major overhaul and clear out of the deadwood required in May.

This should start with Jackson & Euell, and then 90% of the playing staff.

Sadly Jackson is part of the problem. Unless Thomas is ruthless, we will continue to languish in this God forsaken league for a long time yet.

In a few short years, we have dropped way behind Millwall and Palace in South London, and now we are one of the worst teams in all London.

Sad times.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Squad needs another mini rebuild but one of the really key areas must be in defence.

Pearce has got to leave, not good enough anymore. Meant to be such a good captain, a leader, a talker, but we look so unorganised and scared. I made the point about Dion Charles causing him nightmares last season in the preview, same thing again last night.

Famewo hasn’t improved. Scoring last week, which was great, doesn’t make up for the fact he’s always got a mistake in him like that and he’s not comfortable on the ball.

What Clare was thinking in that challenge I really don’t know. It was ridiculous and am sure Jacko’s had his say.

It was great to see Lavelle back, he should have started. But we massively miss Inniss in both boxes. He would’ve managed Charles so much better I don’t think they would have even tried half the things they did.

Matthews won’t be here next season, Purrington looks well out of favour again after a great spell at first, will he be offered a new contract? Gunter and Souaré surely won’t play for us again. Pearce isn’t good enough anymore, there are much better defenders out there. Famewo is on loan but with the option to buy, what’s the terms on that? Are we even likely to take that option up if we can?

That leaves Inniss and Lavelle as senior defenders for next season. We need to sign another 6, just in defence.

Huge task and a game like last night just magnifies how much is still to do.
    Wrong, needs a major major overhaul. 
  • Options
    Had a nights sleep.....comments still the same as last night.....the change for the game on Saturday has to be in my opinion - back 3 of Clare, Innis and Lavelle. Frazer in for Morgan or Gilbey, Aneke for Burstow.
  • Options
    Individual mistakes yet again costing us. As a team they're not good enough, but the majority are as useless individually too. League table doesn't lie, we are mid-table guff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sadly Jackson is part of the problem. Unless Thomas is ruthless, we will continue to languish in this God forsaken league for a long time yet.

In a few short years, we have dropped way behind Millwall and Palace in South London, and now we are one of the worst teams in all London.

Sad times.

Was you saying that after 3 straight wins … there was nothing between the sides apart from one mistake which happens .. second half we were the better team and they should have been down to 10 men in the first half that makes a big diff .. because they would not have been able to push on up on our wing backs with one player less ….. we deserved something out that game 
  • Options

Sad times.

Was you saying that after 3 straight wins … there was nothing between the sides apart from one mistake which happens .. second half we were the better team and they should have been down to 10 men in the first half that makes a big diff .. because they would not have been able to push on up on our wing backs with one player less ….. we deserved something out that game 
    You can’t have watched the same game. We were not much the better side at all. It was two poor poor sides playing.

The table doesn’t lie, the numbers on the board do not lie. This team are garbage. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Squad needs another mini rebuild but one of the really key areas must be in defence.

Pearce has got to leave, not good enough anymore. Meant to be such a good captain, a leader, a talker, but we look so unorganised and scared. I made the point about Dion Charles causing him nightmares last season in the preview, same thing again last night.

Famewo hasn’t improved. Scoring last week, which was great, doesn’t make up for the fact he’s always got a mistake in him like that and he’s not comfortable on the ball.

What Clare was thinking in that challenge I really don’t know. It was ridiculous and am sure Jacko’s had his say.

It was great to see Lavelle back, he should have started. But we massively miss Inniss in both boxes. He would’ve managed Charles so much better I don’t think they would have even tried half the things they did.

Matthews won’t be here next season, Purrington looks well out of favour again after a great spell at first, will he be offered a new contract? Gunter and Souaré surely won’t play for us again. Pearce isn’t good enough anymore, there are much better defenders out there. Famewo is on loan but with the option to buy, what’s the terms on that? Are we even likely to take that option up if we can?

That leaves Inniss and Lavelle as senior defenders for next season. We need to sign another 6, just in defence.

Good post.  It’s not the mistake Famewo made last night for me, everyone drops a clanger at some point.  It’s his overall performances that lead me to question is suitability to be involved in a promotion bid.  As you have highlighted, Purrington has fallen back to the bench, and I think Matthews was only re-signed because we didn’t have any other option.

Inniss if we can keep him fit stays, but we’re forever going to have this injury issue I guess.  I haven’t seen enough of Lavelle to know one way or the other, so I have to let him show us what he can do and give him a fair crack of the whip.  

The key for me is will Jackson stick with this set up for next season.  Obviously, DJ came on on Saturday against Wimbledon and had a decent game, but he was anonymous on his weaker foot last night.  

Big questions and I’m not sure TS’s budget stretches to finding the answers 
  • Options

Sad times.

Think about the games since Christmas.

Wycombe, Cheltenham, Hartlepool, Creme Alexandra.
    Shall I say more?

So so yes I stand by my post. 
    Management and Squad all need to be cleared out.

Jackson out of his depth, and squad disjointed and unbalanced.
  • Options
    Sage said:

@Sage....a mini rebuild and stating we need 6 in defence suggest the level of rebuild required is being given bit too much gloss ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Honestly does any player, currently in our squad, look able to play in the Chanpionship and hold their own? 

Other than maybe Dobson the answer is no. We need a major clear out and rebuild. 
  • Options

Sad times.

Think about the games since Christmas.

Wycombe, Cheltenham, Hartlepool, Creme Alexandra.
    Shall I say more?

So so yes I stand by my post. 
    Management and Squad all need to be cleared out.

Jackson out of his depth, and squad disjointed and unbalanced.
    Could any manager alive (or dead) have got this squad promoted, this season?

Honestly, probably not.    The 4 games you highlighted aren't one offs, we have seen dozens of them over the last 18 months under all the managers.  Bar 3 purple patches of new manager and new squad "bounce" it's been 18 months of relegation form.

Sacking the manager, again, won't solve the underlying issues.  I did think it might be different with Jackson, after the way they got him the job.  Alas its not.

Settle on the manager but back him and give him, at least, the chance to fail with his own staff and own players.  If it upsets some people tough.  We won't be successful playing happy families.

I thought we were moving in the right direction in the window but Saturday is nearly half way through February and our winter signings have played 5 games worth between them.  We needed so much more if we were going to make the play offs.

We still aren't as strong as we were last April that's more concerning than who the manager is.  We have managed to spunk a fortune and become worse for it. 
  • Options
    I've noticed in previous games that Clare likes a bit of the niggly physical stuff, barging or nibbling at opponents after the ball has gone. "Letting them know you're there" is all part of the game, but it cost us badly yesterday.
  • Options
    3 things that really are starting to bug me. 

1. The high amount of individual errors we make every game even unopposed ones. 

2. Obvious flaws with the current system due to the personal we have slow defenders unable to play out and we don't have natural wing backs link up isn't quite there and we give away possession so cheap and get caught out. 

3. Needless free-kicks given away in our defensive third and stupid goals/bookings from these. 

For me it's time to try a plan B and get a natural back 4 partnership I think Famewo Pearce etc will be better if they partnered either Inniss or Levelle and wasn't so isolated. 

For me our wide players have been too inconsistent I rather gamble with a midfield diamond. Dobson - Gilbey, Morgan - Fraser.  

Have the likes of DJ, CBT and Leko as impact subs even if it's up top as a pacy option to stretch and apply pressure.