Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

Comments

• Options
    It feels like we’ve gone back to that spell under Bowyer where we literally gifted the opposition goals every game.

The annoying thing is we were poor throughout yet Bolton didn’t create hardly any effort of note other than our mistake and a needlessly given free kick
    And Morgan trying to be Beckenbauer
  • Options
    Of course we want to win on Saturday, but I imagine Jacko would be delighted with a 0-0 draw, as defensively we're just not good enough at the moment. We're not a side who can play badly, but nick a 1-0 win, which is how you get promoted, as you won't play well every game.

And it's not just because Inniss didn't play tonight, as we let in 2 sloppy goals on Saturday against a weak Wimbledon side, it's seems to be a collective issue at the moment, with everyone making individual mistakes.

Tonight Akin had an awful first half, while it was Pearce's turn to have a terrible second half - I can only assume the ref was lenient because he's seen a replay of the Jones incident.
    I was saying this about our hot and cold runs.  Not only are we not a side that can play badly and win, we aren't a side that can play well and lose either.

I know it sounds stupid but the only time I can think of, in the last 18 months, when we played well but the other team were better was Peterborough at home last season.

If we are "on it" we don't lose, if we aren't we won't win.  Might get a draw, Aneke 90+1.

That's so frustrating because if we were "on it" more we would be in the championship already. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think the team has every chance of going up next season if we bank on what is good and are ruthless with what is less good. This is league one so we need to be able to do the dirty stuff as well as play good football. I think the midfield isn't an issue at all. If we have Stockley, Aneke and Washington that looks good but when can we play them in the same squad. We need one more nasty bastard up front. Famewo is being exposed positionally and if he doesn't improve I wouldn't take him next season. I think I would want another centre half that is commanding in the air and a threat in our opponents box. Innis is, but seems to be made of glass.

So if we sort out the defence and attack, we won't be far off. But we have started too many games where you can see there is not enough threat. We need some goal threat from outside the box too. So I think JJ ought to know what is needed. Cole Stockton is a nasty bastard, who knows where the goal is from both inside and outside of the box. He should be our priority. The team is crying out for him.
  • Options
    We simply weren’t very good, beyond some brief forays when we played nice passing moves. Silly goals, especially the second when Clare had no need to make that foul. Fraser with a good assist but two powder puff shots when we were 2-1 down.

Pearce had to be hooked before being sent off.
    Morgan was up for it, but a few blind passes showed his inexperience.
    Burstow offered very little. Washington was getting frustrated but didn’t offer much either.

Aneke and Fraser improved us.

Dobson stood and clapped us til the end. Looked as gutted as us tbf.
  • Options
    Aneke's goal was extremely well worked. Fraser has to start on the weekend.

Felt like both teams cancelled each other out for most of the game. But we were generally sloppy and a bit crap.

Change of formation worked well. Shame our poor decisions gifted then a goal.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think Innis and Lavelle should get the nod on Saturday ahead of Pearce and Famewo after their performances this evening.
    How would you line them up?
    Side by side with Clare also next to them!😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The frustrating thing about this match was that we had the ability to win it but instead we beat ourselves with stupid decision making and unnecessary fouls and errors. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    On my way back now.

There are no words that can describe my frustration at this team. From back to front we were beyond shocking.

I can’t remember seeing a worse defensive performance from Famewo Pearce and Clare. 
    What Clare was doing to give the foul away for their winner is beyond me. It would be an insult to school boy defending. Famewo and Pearce were comical, neither should be at this club next season. 

We have ZERO creativity in midfield, Morgan tried and he was our best player (which isn’t saying much) but no one turns and plays a positive pass. 
    DJ does not want the ball, he never shows and goes out of his way to make a stupid run so the player in possession doesn’t find him.

Tactically, big big questions have to be asked. What were the tactics today? How many times have we dropped a performance like we have today? Too many times, it was so so bad.

There is no passion and no fight from the majority of this team. We need a total and ruthless clear out if we want to compete next season.

Abysmal. 
    I puke up the small portion of humble pie that I publicly devoured on the AFC Wimbledon post-match thread.  He did play a fine ball to Washington after all.  

But if only I had said the highlighted comment several months ago.  Oh, wait a minute ...

Back in October (I think), it was apparent to me that this squad would finish mid-table at best, and that players like Jaiyesimi were the reason for that.

I'm not happy about it.

But we are crap.  And things need to change, Thomas.

On a positive note, I enjoyed Fraser's cameo.  I have hope there.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think Innis and Lavelle should get the nod on Saturday ahead of Pearce and Famewo after their performances this evening.
    How would you line them up?
    Side by side with Clare also next to them!😉
    Being serious, yes I appreciate it would be better if one of your 3 centre backs was left-footed but Famewo hasn’t been great recently and Pearce always has the potential to start practicing his wrestling moves. If Clare and Innis are considered to be first choices, the only other options are Lavelle, Elewere or even Purrington I guess.
  • Options
    Two poor teams giving a display of ineptitude that makes a mockery of three-points for a win. The rest of the league were robbed. There ought to be an independent adjudicator who can rescind points for cloddishness. We were awful for 70 minutes. The substitutions turned the game and we looked like we might just scrape through as almost-worthy winners. Then, a ridiculous challenge from Clare and piss poor defending for the resultant free kick and were were out of the game. Have to feel sorry for Jackson, it looked like he'd done enough to at least get us a point. In the post match interview he looked close to tears. Can't say I blame him I felt the same myself. It's the hope that kills.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Not much to say really. Just that if a team is at us from the off and really gets in our faces this group of players don't have any answers and quite Frankly bottle it.

Time and time again,to a man they never turn up. You don't even get the odd player giving it a go. When it happens it filters through the whole side.
    It's like shit player osmosis.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Positives: I saved a tenner by not watching this crap
    Negatives: I think my boiler is starting to make funny noises
    That's odd as mine started making funny noises because I paid a tenner by watching this crap
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    We were a pretty good side after our much-needed changes of Burstow and Gilbey off and Aneke and Fraser on. They got one free-kick and scored from it; otherwise we looked very much on top. In Aneke's case, it shows what a bit of presence can do. In Fraser's case, it shows what a bit of footballing quality can. I hope more people are starting to see what I mean about Gilbey. Oh he's lovely on Twitter, sure. He runs around a lot! *Great Escape theme starts playing*
    He flatters to deceive.  He goes on these runs, does a lot of pointing, a lot tweeting, but there’s no end product.  Scored a decent goal
    against Ipswich.  His only other goal was against Hartlepool in the Papa Johns.  There are worse players than him, for sure, but I take issue with him because a lot of people think he’s good.  He’s not.  He just looks marginally better in among poor players.  We won’t go up if he’s a regular starter which he has been most of the season.

If Jackson wants to stick with this formation next season (I don’t know if he will), then we build the midfield 3 around Dobson, Fraser and one other.  

The league table does not lie after 30 games, a lot of this mob are mid-table league one cannon fodder.  Do we really want to be seeing the majority of this team in a shirt again next season?  

I chuckled tonight as I turned the build up on.  Minto quizzing Curbs about the play offs.  The same pathetic rubbish we were hearing this time last year.  ‘If we could just go on a run, if we put a few more wins together so and so get sucked into it.  The league is tight, on our day we can beat anyone’

I’m not having a go at them, just pointing out the futility and mediocrity of it all.  Exactly the same nonsense 12 months on.  Different personnel but the same uninspiring football, sprinkled with a win to get the stupid play off talk going again.  
    Good post BUT

a lot of these players will look a LOT less like cannon-fodder playing alongside Scott Fraser
  • Options
    We will be in this division until we learn to deal with these kind of matches. 
    They were running the clock down in the first half when 1-0 up. 
    We need to hold on to away points. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    What a strange error strewn game that was. Neither side looked very good, but we were unlucky to lose in the end. 
    Positives:
    1 Foster. Looks a good player, and having a left footed midfielder who can create chances is something we’ve needed for sometime. What a cross for the goal. The way he easily beat his man to create room for the cross was class.
    2 We changed formation for once, and it worked. 
    3 We learned that we need a new left sided centre back. Famewo has his attributes, but his all round play is still lacking. 
    4 Lavelle is back. 
    6. We can relax now. Forget hopes of the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Charlton fans must be the most bipolar around. Looking at twitter is shocking this evening. Same people who were going on about playoffs after Saturday are having a proper rager. At least they can't moan about relegation anymore.
  • Options
    Pearce and Famewo: not at it. Not sure both should be playing for us next season. 

Who scored the winner on Saturday was you saying that then .. mistakes happen but he went to the fans at the end and held his hands up accepting his fault we lost … all credit to him 

Bringing this over from the match thread. Completely agree, full credit to him for putting his hand up and saying he made a mistake. It's not easy to do. And it's not like he wanted to play bad. Earned a lot of respect for him tonight even if it wasn't his night on the pitch.
  • Options
    Rubbish. Once again a defensive shambles, zero creativity and until Chuck's came on nothing upfront.

Pearce and Famewo were both appalling.

Burstow and Washington cannot play together. Burstow is not ready to be starting games. For some reason when he is partnered with Washington, Connor becomes totally ineffective.

Dobson was ok, but Morgan and Gilby were crap.

Said it on the match thread and will say it again here, how we loose our shape and fall to pieces for a good 10mins or so after conceding a goal is alarming. Without fail, we ship a goal and look totally lost - screams to me that there are no leaders out there.

Sorry to say it but we are back to needing to out 6/7 players in the summer and rebuild yet again. It's becoming tedious.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I cannot keep stressing that if we keep the likes of Famewo, Matthews, Purrington, Gilbey, Morgan, Washington, DJ and they play as much as they have this season, we will not be challenging next year.  
    1000000000000%.
  • Options
    First time ever, to my knowledge, Jackson has changed the shape. Hopefully he will dos so a bit more regularly. DJ can play down the middle if he has to. Famewo just had an off night. He's still one of the first on the team sheet for me, along with Clare.

Overall Bolton deserved the win. They've clearly done some excellent business in the transfer window and are definitely worth a bet to go up next season. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Jackson is not a happy bunny in his post match interview. Understandably 
    He can moan as much as he likes, but his shit formation doesn't work, signing 4 players in January and none of them starting and 2 not in the squad his decision. Makes changes too late. Plays too many players out of position, DJ at left wing back is just a pathetic choice. Clare however well he has done at center half he is not a center half, its not like we have been good defensively this season, play him as a midfielder. However we managed to mug Chelsea off for nearly £2m for Burstow is ridiculous, he never gets involved I'm not sure I can ever remember him actually dribbling with the ball or trying to take someone on. Play Aneke not Burstow and if Aneke is not fit enough to play each game then more fool them for signing him back on a long contract.
    We are probably in a minority of two but I agree to an extent about Aneke. He is an impact sub, that is all. Can’t believe we spent 300k on someone who just can’t manage two games in a week. He’ll come on and score goals but most of the time it will be like tonight, ultimately pointless. Perhaps we should start him and get ahead and take him off at half time.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Nicholas said:
    Jackson is not a happy bunny in his post match interview. Understandably 
    He can moan as much as he likes, but his shit formation doesn't work, signing 4 players in January and none of them starting and 2 not in the squad his decision. Makes changes too late. Plays too many players out of position, DJ at left wing back is just a pathetic choice. Clare however well he has done at center half he is not a center half, its not like we have been good defensively this season, play him as a midfielder. However we managed to mug Chelsea off for nearly £2m for Burstow is ridiculous, he never gets involved I'm not sure I can ever remember him actually dribbling with the ball or trying to take someone on. Play Aneke not Burstow and if Aneke is not fit enough to play each game then more fool them for signing him back on a long contract.
    Exactly, it's just ridiculous. 3 & a half year contract for someone who can't play two games a week.

While Dobson only has 1 season left on his contract
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    (I'll add that I thought Morgan was generally the biggest influence on us trying to get control of the ball; he should have been given the armband instead of Gilbey)
    Morgan...?  Captain...?   Your 'aving a bubble mate.

Morgan shouldnt even be in the team, let alone captain.