Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

Comments

• Options
    We need 2 big Centre half’s in the summer and let’s build from there
  • Options
    AddickRam said:
    3 things that really are starting to bug me. 

1. The high amount of individual errors we make every game even unopposed ones. 

2. Obvious flaws with the current system due to the personal we have slow defenders unable to play out and we don't have natural wing backs link up isn't quite there and we give away possession so cheap and get caught out. 

3. Needless free-kicks given away in our defensive third and stupid goals/bookings from these. 

For me it's time to try a plan B and get a natural back 4 partnership I think Famewo Pearce etc will be better if they partnered either Inniss or Levelle and wasn't so isolated. 

For me our wide players have been too inconsistent I rather gamble with a midfield diamond. Dobson - Gilbey, Morgan - Fraser.  

Have the likes of DJ, CBT and Leko as impact subs even if it's up top as a pacy option to stretch and apply pressure. 
    I agree we make too many basic errors and gift goals to the opposition. 
  • Options
    Portsmouth did it
    Wimbledon did it
    Bolton did it

All 3 teams used balls over the top of our back 3 and we couldn't defend them, luckily for us neither Pompey or Wombles profited from it but the Trotters did

Sort is JJ
    Agreed, even Inniss struggled with high punts over the top on Saturday, but it is a major weakness with Famewo's game. Give him a one on one chase on the deck, he'll usually win, but target him aerially, he'll struggle.

In one of the Pizza Cup games, Brownie noted that Deji Elewere was also a bit weaker in the air than elsewhere in his game.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    We were a pretty good side after our much-needed changes of Burstow and Gilbey off and Aneke and Fraser on. They got one free-kick and scored from it; otherwise we looked very much on top. In Aneke's case, it shows what a bit of presence can do. In Fraser's case, it shows what a bit of footballing quality can. I hope more people are starting to see what I mean about Gilbey. Oh he's lovely on Twitter, sure. He runs around a lot! *Great Escape theme starts playing*
    I think Gilbey can be very good. But I agree lately like many of the team, he's seriously underperforming.
    Lately? We won 3 in a row before this! We actually looked like a good side for 15 minutes after he went off! It isn't many, it's basically him. Sorry to scapegoat. It's Burstow too as he doesn't do anything other than finishing. And Famewo will never be able to pass a ball. But Gilbey has stuck out as being of a clearly lower footballing level than the rest of our midfield, imo.
    We had won 3 in a row, but I was more referring to the entire of 2022 so far. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    (I'll add that I thought Morgan was generally the biggest influence on us trying to get control of the ball; he should have been given the armband instead of Gilbey)
    Even I think this is madness!
  • Options
    Only followed the results on Sky, but not surprising we appear weaker when neither Aneke or Stockley are not in the starting line up. Unless injuries occur, I would imagine that will be Jason Pearce last start of season.

Saturday will be a difficult test, but with Innis, Aneke and Fraser starting will be much more optimistic than yesterday.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think Innis and Lavelle should get the nod on Saturday ahead of Pearce and Famewo after their performances this evening.
    How would you line them up?
    Side by side with Clare also next to them!😉
    Being serious, yes I appreciate it would be better if one of your 3 centre backs was left-footed but Famewo hasn’t been great recently and Pearce always has the potential to start practicing his wrestling moves. If Clare and Innis are considered to be first choices, the only other options are Lavelle, Elewere or even Purrington I guess.
    I think we looked half decent when we went 4-4-2 diamond. That way you at least can have Purrington as left footed cover on the left. 

Would probably enable us to have Morgan alongside Fraser in the middle with Dobson behind and you might even get Lee on ahead of them, though DJ looked better behind the two last night, where his energy could be more conserved... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Garrymanilow completely agree with the first 5 minutes comment.  

I often say this, here we go they don’t fancy it today, or occasionally oh look they’re gonna do something today, probably a good side to have a punt on in-play.
  • Options
    Portsmouth did it
    Wimbledon did it
    Bolton did it

All 3 teams used balls over the top of our back 3 and we couldn't defend them, luckily for us neither Pompey or Wombles profited from it but the Trotters did

Sort is JJ
    This is very true. I wonder how much is caused by MacG rooted to his goal line and never 'sweeping'. There was a few time we tried the same tactic and their keeper was outside the penalty area immediately clearing the danger. 
  • Options
    Great post Garrymanilow 
    I agree with everything you say there.
    You sum it up perfectly 
  • Options
    We lost
    Are you on strike or something? 😮
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We lost
    Are you on strike or something? 😮
    He’s right 
  • Options
    The difference in Pearce's performances while Jacko was interim to now him being perm is shocking. Being used as first in line commander provided great motivation, then all went a bit downhill. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mendonca said:
    The difference in Pearce's performances while Jacko was interim to now him being perm is shocking. Being used as first in line commander provided great motivation, then all went a bit downhill. 
    He did exactly the same last season.  He was a walking disaster under Bowyer (a year after he was a colossus in the league above) was Tony Adamsesq under Adkins.  Organising, head were it hurts, game management.  This season under Adkins he was awful. 

The patterns the same it just happens quicker now.

He isn't the only one, Matthews and Purrington do it to. 
  • Options
    Weirdly enough I have to say, I've seen worse performances under Bowyer than yesterday so don't agree with the "worst ever seen". With Bow's the players became so scared to make a mistake in possession that hid and froze - not the best combination with a football!

Let's get some left footers in the team now (Castillo and Fraser) and at least attempt some variety in our passing and play. 

• Options
    Our problem seems to be that our key players are often not available for various reasons. Add to that the fact that we’ve needed a stronger left sided centre back, and a creative left sided midfielder all season, and we were always going to struggle to reach the playoffs. I think we’ve solved one of those problems with Fraser at least.
    Do we really know that JJ isn’t up to the task? I guess there are many other managers with more experience, but would they be available, and if they were, it always seems like a big gamble replacing the backroom staff, when there’s no guarantee of success at all. Isn’t it true that Jackson’s points per game average would have seen us in the playoffs? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully Innis back Saturday, we really miss him.

Sooner Stockly is back the better.

Far too many half hearted tacklers in our midfield, Dobson apart.

Get Fraser in, DJ not tough enough for wing back against these sort of teams.

Horses for courses Jackson not one size fits all.
  • Options
    Club's broken. There's no reason this team should be so incredibly bipolar from match to match. Players can have bad games, they can cost you goals, they can go on bad runs. I don't think I've ever seen a team before though, Charlton or otherwise, that manage to be collectively terrible all at the same time for no apparent reason. Two games ago, just over one week, Sean Clare played the game of his life in a man of the match performance. 8 days later he's atrocious. Famewo was excellent against Pompey and scored the winner against Wimbledon, and collapsed last night. Gilbeying is now a verb, meaning to fluctuate horrifically from good to bad at absolutely any time. Against Pompey everyone was good, last night absolutely everyone was bad, I just don't understand how this team is able to operate like that. It isn't even just these players, it's been happening ever since we came back into this league and we've gone through about 400 players since then. Sandgaard and Gallen are always talking about building a long-term team so we don't have to rebuild every season but I'd rather send this entire squad into the shadow realm and start over than think about Kirk and Aneke's 14 year contracts.
    I feel like ever since Morecambe scored that second goal against us the players have woken up and remembered who they are and who they play for and realised it's their job to constantly collapse whenever there's any kind of form on the horizon. We gift stupid goals, refuse to score more than one goal unless it specifically won't get us a win and somehow manage to perform badly collectively instead of individually. We're completely reliant on about 4 players, and if they can't play, or don't play well it feels like there's no-one able to pick up the slack and operate the team. If Inniss, Gilbey, Stockley and Washington play well then there's not many teams who can match us. If any of those are injured, absent or Gilbeying then we can't rely on a great performance from a wingback or another midfielder, or a heroic centre back performance to rescue us, we completely drain away like a bath with the plug pulled out. There's no grit or focus in this team, it's going through the motions hoping a couple of players provide us with leadership or drive or the ability to hold the ball up front, all while Dobson scurries around trying to make every single tackle and, presumably, wondering why the hell no-one else feels like getting involved. Again.
    I just don't know what to make of this lot. I don't really feel that excited for games because there's a really good chance that from the first 5 minutes you'll be able to tell they've decided to have one of those games and you're not getting that tenner back no matter how much you might wish you'd spent it on literally anything else, and it's another missed opportunity, another set of points dropped and a longer-still wait since Charlton turned out a side that you could consistently feel a connection with. I really don't think new players will solve it. We plugged the holding midfield gap from last season, it hasn't helped. We signed more centre backs, it hasn't helped. We made Stockley permanent, signed Rob Lee's son and stopped playing Gunter, it hasn't helped. We replaced Aneke with actual Aneke and signed the golden messiah Scott Fraser and the players are still turning up for a match looking like they thought they were going on a trip to see the darts rather than compete in a football match. I don't think signing a few more players in the summer will fix it, I don't think changing the manager again will fix it, and I don't think a complete overhaul will fix it, I think we're just bad. I dunno it's exhausting, burn the whole thing.
    It's probably Roland's fault.
    Give yourself permission to take a break and enjoy life. Come back when the footballs good
  • Options
    Famewo seems to have all the faults of Naby Sarr minus the good points.
  • Options
    Pretty poor performance all around really. I appreciate that this is going to be shot down but for me JJ needs to take alot of the blame for last night. It really wasnt the time to bring Pearce in knowing what their front line was going to be, it was said quite a bit when the team was announced that he would be exposed by his lack of pace and so it turned out to be. It was also mentioned quite a bit that we had game changers on the bench but he left it way too late before doing anything, half time was the time to ring the changes ( or even before ) as it was obvious that we could have played all night and not threatened carrying on with what we were trying to do.

• Options
    To confirm, the mini rebuild is because other than the defence, we don’t need a whole new midfield or attack.

The spine is there for a good side other than the defence. Inniss, Lavelle, Dobson, Gilbey, Fraser, Aneke, Stockley, Washington is a good spine. We just need a lot more. And it’s the defence that I think needs the biggest part. 
  • Options
    Nothing to add as its all been said. 

Yet another poor transfer window and a total clear out in the summer needed.