Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February 2022 : 8pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Rubbish. Hate this team, no passion. Try harder at home then away. Spineless. We robbed Chelsea with Burstow. Defence, minus Inniss is so poor. Hate this division. Feel sorry for those going Saturday. Can't see a win until late March. Very unhappy with it all and that includes JJ.
  • Options
    Next 4 games we are playing teams in .....

2nd
    3rd
    5th
    7th

Hmmm.......
  • Options
    I think Innis and Lavelle should get the nod on Saturday ahead of Pearce and Famewo after their performances this evening.
  • Options
    I think Innis and Lavelle should get the nod on Saturday ahead of Pearce and Famewo after their performances this evening.
    How would you line them up?
  • Options
    Third game on the trot we've gifted a goal to the opposition. Never looked comfortable at the back and we badly need some solid defenders in the Inniss mold rather than the liquid liabilities we have at the moment (Pearce, famewo and Lavelle I'm looking at).

Burstow showed exactly why it was the right decision to cash in on a backup dancer. Washington innefective without aneke or stockley as we don't have the ability to find him behind consistently.

Very disappointing, which just about sums our season up.
  • Options
    Next 4 games we are playing teams in .....

2nd
    3rd
    5th
    7th

Hmmm.......
    Probably take 9 points from them 4 games
  • Options
    I reckon we could play Famewo with Innis & Lavelle. Pearce should only be used in a desperate emergency situations from now on.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Praying we don't sign Famewo on a permanent
    At the start of the season I'd have said this is crazy talk but he has regressed so badly that I actually agree now. He's an absolute gaffe monster.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    We were a pretty good side after our much-needed changes of Burstow and Gilbey off and Aneke and Fraser on. They got one free-kick and scored from it; otherwise we looked very much on top. In Aneke's case, it shows what a bit of presence can do. In Fraser's case, it shows what a bit of footballing quality can. I hope more people are starting to see what I mean about Gilbey. Oh he's lovely on Twitter, sure. He runs around a lot! *Great Escape theme starts playing*
    I think Gilbey can be very good. But I agree lately like many of the team, he's seriously underperforming.
    Lately? We won 3 in a row before this! We actually looked like a good side for 15 minutes after he went off! It isn't many, it's basically him. Sorry to scapegoat. It's Burstow too as he doesn't do anything other than finishing. And Famewo will never be able to pass a ball. But Gilbey has stuck out as being of a clearly lower footballing level than the rest of our midfield, imo.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I only end up saying what I say in the preview so here was my take on the line up and I'm the biggest JJ fan going. 

"Washington and Burstow are better running on to the ball but holding up the Ball ?
    Burstow not strong enough in men's football yet and not Washington's game. Can we adapt to the fact all 3 big guys are missing and play to feet more ?

It always come down to the spine of the team with Cafc and this 11 will struggle to defend set pieces without Jayden, Ryan and Chuks.

I hope Charlton can prove me wrong tonight and we do great passes for Mason and Conor.  It just feels the ball will come back too quick and too often for the form team in the division.  They love to attack in numbers so counter attack with accuracy is paramount"

Broken record but we will finish 8th to 10th.
    I was spot on with 7th last season.

Can admin please shut down the relegation or play off thread as it's doing my nut in, and my mental health is very important to me  :#
  • Options
    We nearly got a smash and grab draw.

That says it all really.

Jacko really needs to focus on set piece defending aswell as our performances/formation away asap.

Nice goal from Aneke after some quality play from Fraser. Getting fed up of seeing little end product from Gilbey as he's playing in his ideal position, unlike some others. Pearce was woeful now he is out his purple patch. Akin put in a 2/10 which I have not ever seen. This is also L1.
  • Options
    Half an hour or so to consider some more. 

The positives I take are that Stockley, Aneke, Fraser, Dobson, Clare (despite silly free kick tonight) Innis (if he can stay fit) and hopefully Lavelle is not a bad start for a first team next season.

Morgan, DJ, Elewere, Washington, CBT, Gilbey, McG all decent squad options.  That leaves about 10 players needed in the summer, 5 of which likely to be loans and 5 maybe new signings.  The quality of those will be absolutely crucial.

Could do with someone of Charles quality and a dynamic midfielder better than Gilbey who can dominate plus two quality wing backs; need to get business done early, picking off the best free transfers where possible.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    We were a pretty good side after our much-needed changes of Burstow and Gilbey off and Aneke and Fraser on. They got one free-kick and scored from it; otherwise we looked very much on top. In Aneke's case, it shows what a bit of presence can do. In Fraser's case, it shows what a bit of footballing quality can. I hope more people are starting to see what I mean about Gilbey. Oh he's lovely on Twitter, sure. He runs around a lot! *Great Escape theme starts playing*
    I think Gilbey can be very good. But I agree lately like many of the team, he's seriously underperforming.
    Lately? We won 3 in a row before this! We actually looked like a good side for 15 minutes after he went off! It isn't many, it's basically him. Sorry to scapegoat. It's Burstow too as he doesn't do anything other than finishing. And Famewo will never be able to pass a ball. But Gilbey has stuck out as being of a clearly lower footballing level than the rest of our midfield, imo.
    I’ve always felt that as a centre midfielder the worst thing you can be is anonymous.  It’s the one position where you cannot and should not hide at all costs.  Gilbey does have games where he offers absolutely nothing, this is why I like Elliott Lee, you can guarantee he will have X amount of touches before anyone else.
  • Options
    deserved nothing and got nothing - no stockley or chucks and we have nothing to build our moves off of - famewo had a shocker and nobody else was up to much either - a typical midweek away performance from us really and exactly what i was expecting - boring, frustrating and beaten by a team who weren't great but were at least competent  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I saw the team and thought the worse. No Stockley of course, but our two physical threats not starting in Innis and Aneke and I knew we wouldn't create anything. The game was very bitty and of a poor quality. They should have had a red but ref missed it, but he saw a yellow! So did he miss it? Very poor from Famewo for the goal. Defensively he can get his positioning wrong a bit too often.

I thought we shaded it but nobody deserved to win as both teams were poor. When we equalised we might of gone for it but the yellow streak in the side has to be culled. The panic has to be sorted out too. That needless foul for the free kick from which they scored the winner would piss you off if a Sunday League team mate committed it. There is a Kamicase element to our defending. That pass to Morgan who was central and had he lost the ball which he did, put them in. That is what you call brainless and I think JJ and his team need to have some video sessions with the defence.

I don't think you can blame the midfield. Burstow and Washington is too powderpuff and the defence make too many stupid mistakes.
  • Options
    It's OK for Chuks to come on and make an impact as he does, but quite a different matter for Inniss to pop in and out of the side the way he does. 

We really need an Inniss type character, but one that can help galvanise the defence and play the majority of games.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some match stats.  Only they are from the game at the Valley that everyone, including me, said should have been the end of Adkins. 

3 wins against not very good Fleetwood and Wimbledon and at fortress Fratton stopped this being a relegation fight.  There are things wrong much deeper than the manger. 

Sacking Adkins 3, 5 or even 7 games earlier would have only moved the problem forward a few games. 

We signed about 10 players in the summer most all of them have been a complete failer.

Clare has managed a unique double, his worst 2 games in a Charlton shirt have been against the same team in different positions. 

In the last 2 months we have reverted to the mean.  Now we go into the reverse of the first 4 fixtures.  Compare the players we now have available to the ones we had then.  If we get the same results the "has Jackson lost it" thread will be up and running by Easter.

Anyone that is still banging the if we had sacked Adkins earlier drum is in lala land.  If we had given the manager, who ever he/she was the tools to do the job we wouldn't be where we are.

There have been some efforts to correct the summer this winter.  Too little, too late. 

In April Jackson and Thomas, just them, need to sit down and agree what they need to do to get us promoted next season.  If Thomas doesn't agree Jackson should shake his hand and walk away. 
  • Options
    I think we have to have a few nasty physical players opponents hate playing against and to be fair, we do but they can't seem to get on the pitch consistently. Cole Stockton in that side and we would have won tonight. 
  • Options
    Of course we want to win on Saturday, but I imagine Jacko would be delighted with a 0-0 draw, as defensively we're just not good enough at the moment. We're not a side who can play badly, but nick a 1-0 win, which is how you get promoted, as you won't play well every game.

And it's not just because Inniss didn't play tonight, as we let in 2 sloppy goals on Saturday against a weak Wimbledon side, it's seems to be a collective issue at the moment, with everyone making individual mistakes.

Tonight Akin had an awful first half, while it was Pearce's turn to have a terrible second half - I can only assume the ref was lenient because he's seen a replay of the Jones incident.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Your recent rants about Gilbey have made me laugh, but to be honest I would have subbed him at half time tonight. He wasn't being very effective, was looking a reasonable risk of a sending off, and we needed Fraser's creativity.

• Options
    Bolton's hoof over the top caused us loads of problems. We missed Innis's authority. Lavelle should have played from the start. I've given up on Gilbey, maybe the format just doesn't work for him. At least Morgan can pass the ball and do a decent set piece. Dobson played alright and Washington tried hard. Aneke took his goal very well and lifted our spirits for about six minutes. This team will not go up next season as it's too disjointed. Fraser will help to get the flow going. Shame about Famewo as he has a talent but he makes too many mistakes every game so I hope we don't sign him - or Lee, or Leko. Meanwhile palace coast along in the Premier and millwall do better than survive in the Champs. It's very frustrating.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Some match stats.  Only they are from the game at the Valley that everyone, including me, said should have been the end of Adkins. 

3 wins against not very good Fleetwood and Wimbledon and at fortress Fratton stopped this being a relegation fight.  There are things wrong much deeper than the manger. 

Sacking Adkins 3, 5 or even 7 games earlier would have only moved the problem forward a few games. 

We signed about 10 players in the summer most all of them have been a complete failer.

Clare has managed a unique double, his worst 2 games in a Charlton shirt have been against the same team in different positions. 

In the last 2 months we have reverted to the mean.  Now we go into the reverse of the first 4 fixtures.  Compare the players we now have available to the ones we had then.  If we get the same results the "has Jackson lost it" thread will be up and running by Easter.

Anyone that is still banging the if we had sacked Adkins earlier drum is in lala land.  If we had given the manager, who ever he/she was the tools to do the job we wouldn't be where we are.

There have been some efforts to correct the summer this winter.  Too little, too late. 

In April Jackson and Thomas, just them, need to sit down and agree what they need to do to get us promoted next season.  If Thomas doesn't agree Jackson should shake his hand and walk away. 
    Our best players this season were players we signed in the summer.  Dobson, Clare, Stockley, MacGillivray, Lavelle before injury, Lee in spells.

And whilst I agree this team in no way deserves promotion our record since Adkins speaks for itself (W9 D3 L5), we’d of definitely been better off sacking him earlier.  
  • Options
    Agree with Defence / Inniss point. We should be tinkering with forwards to change a game, not defenders. That department should be solid and settled. The fact that it isn't will be this teams downfall. 2 clean sheets from 11 tells the story of our midtable position. Whilst a GD of 3+ isn't awful it is balanced  by our strikers going through lean periods and injuries. As a result our defence has dictated our season ending position already. Roll on August.