Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th February - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Missed out on the play offs last season on goal difference. 
    A little bit of fine tuning was required. 
    Two transfer window's later and we are ten times worse. 
    Expect the same this summer as Sandgaard does not have the right people advising him.
    Pile off shite. 
    Or does he choose not to listen to them? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It’s just utterly predictable and absolutely shit - what a gutless squad of players.

Can’t be bothered to think about  anything Charlton related for a while. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I’ll tell you one thing it ain’t: the formation. These players wouldn’t be good enough in a 352, a 442, a 433 or whatever else you want to dream up.

If tactics aren't important, why are we playing everyone out of position to accommodate JJ's preferred tactics?
    There’s a reason Clare is playing on the right side and Purrington / Famewo on the left rather than Lavelle and Pearce. The idea of asking Pearce and Lavelle to overlap and get to the byline is comical.

Who’s in your team with a 442? And does that team get a result today?

McGillivray
    Clare, Innis, Famewo, Purrington
    Dobson, Gilbey, Morgan
    DJ, Burstow, Leko

I'd say playing 2 non CBs at CB is getting comical.
    Feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, doesn’t it..?

There are still no goals in the midfield. Leko doesn’t have enough confidence about him to beat a man. DJ pushed out wide where he can no longer use one of his best attributes (strength). Clare at right back in a four is a disaster waiting to happen - ask Oxford about that. Burstow up front on his own will be hopeless.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2022
    Season effectively over.  That saying, you should only play a system.that you have the players for. We should have played a flat back 4 today of Matthew's, Innis, Lavelle & Purrington. A midfield 5 of Clare, Dobson, Lee, Gilbey & Leko with Burstow up front on his own.........but Lee & Leko support him as an attacking 3.

Jacko has to learn fast or he might not be here next season. 
    Agree on 451 would be better. Not sure if Burstow up on his own would be any good. If 352 is not working or providing clean sheets then its good to play a more solid formation with the players we do have.
    Would really like Jackson to be Charlton manager and for it to be confirmed early if that it is to happen, so the rebuilding for next season can happen. Changing the manager at the end of the season with more instability another big rebuild and another late window is unlikely to have any different result to how this season has gone.

• Options
    Losing 3 strikers and our new midfielder is going to make things difficult, but, much to everyone's surprise, we took the lead and then hit the crossbar, so I was thinking perhaps we can win this one......and then we just run out of ideas, steam and footballing nounce!
    Set piece defending is absolutely shit! The second half was just pathetic...League 1 again next season, oh deep fucking joy.....NOT!
    Given the injuries the only odd choice was only having one centre back on the field. JJ could have had a flat back four from the start with Inniss and Pearce and two fullbacks, Matthews and Purrington. We may not have got done at the set pieces at least. Not much he could have done up front.
  • Options
    Doubt Jacko will be the man leading out the side next season unless these players stop playing for a mate but for their manager? - Put your suit on Jacko and go out in style! Lets us face it, any mate that becomes a foreman also needs to become a right horrible C--t! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With that squad today given the injuries and general lack of motivation Pepe Guardiola would of lost 2-1.
  • Options
    Well the result isn't as bad as I was expecting from the team news, although the performance may be another matter. How did Kanu do when he came on, and was the booking justified?
  • Options
    We lost
  • Options
    Interesting listening to Curbs and Co on CATV.
    They all agree season is over, and now is time to plan for next season. Make up mind on who to keep that arevout of contract and get the recruitment team working now.
    JJ says he has his thoughts but still wants to win every game from now on in, finish as strongly as possible and have a full pre season with the whole squad....needs early recruitment then!
    Yup
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    aliwibble said:
    Well the result isn't as bad as I was expecting from the team news, although the performance may be another matter. How did Kanu do when he came on, and was the booking justified?
    Wasn’t on long enough get a kick but he was nice and late on one of their defenders for a yellow card 😈 Killer would have been proud of that challenge 😉
  • Options
    With your 3 main strikers out injured, playing 352 to get 2 up front seems a bit pointless really. In normal circumstances, I'd have suggested packing the midfield (Morgan in for Burstow or Leko) and making it hard for them, but our current defending isn't good enough to go away and get a clean sheet.

Yes there are individual errors - for the second goal Purrington beaten to the first ball, Dobson for the second - but the defensive shape doesn't seem right if Inniss ends up on the line rather than attacking the ball. And while we should have had a penalty in the 1st half, Wigan should have had 3, that barge from Inniss looked to me like a penalty at the time.
  • Options
    Awful performance today , in a bad week season over . Burstow should be sent back to Chelsea with immediate effect and Castillo as well . I will drive Leko/Leeko back to Birmingham myself  , never want to see him in a red shirt again . What a waste of a season that was .
  • Options
    There was a quote on match thread saying any team would struggle without our main 3 strikers….. unfortunately I think our problems are far worse than that, I definitely don’t subscribe to the we missed Chuks theory either, I was happy he left the 1st time, but that’s a different discussion. This season is by far the biggest waste I can remember,I just can not get my head around why we are so poor, bearing in mind how well we have played, very occasionally I accept. In past recent seasons there was a built in excuse with the off field issues which lowered expectation and yet it feels like we achieved a little more. Now with nothing to worry about other than on field performance, we’ve gone to shit again, this I think is why I personally feel far more disappointed and let down by the whole scenario this season,than when we had our previous regimes. I’m not saying anything against TS as I’m fully behind him, but I’m bemused by what’s going on, with the manager, coaching and in particular the players. Only at Charlton Athletic!!!🤷🏻‍♂️😤☹️
  • Options
    Has Henry said ‘we lost’ yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has James
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    A loss is a loss I’m afraid, wether it’s 2-1, 5-0. We have a squad and it’s not proving good enough.
  • Options
    For the first time ever watching the stream , I turned off with 20 minutes to go . Can’t wait for the season to end 
  • Options
    Do we have a scouting network anymore? Or is it just Gallen, Sandgaard junior and the black box? If it is, I'm afraid I have no confidence in them getting recruitment right in preparation for next season. 
  • Options
    Palarse another point in the top league.
    Spanners win in the league above us.
    Charlton lose to a bunch of northern monkies in the 3rd division.

Soapy doesn't care anymore.

Goodnight CL'ers.
  • Options
    I think any team would miss Stockley/Aneke/Washington/Fraser from their attacking options so I’m not massively surprised that we looked toothless, but the defence was awful today. We couldn’t defend simple set pieces, MacGillivray’s fear of crosses is almost Dracula levels and Clare (who’s been one of the best of a bad bunch recently) was a total liability.