Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th February - 3pm KO

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Not calling for JJ to be sacked. 

But not totally convinced by his ability as a manager so far at all

..this squad should have a decent points ratio given the squad available regardless.

Post manager bounce this 3-5-2 is becoming unbearable but it continues every game. There are players available to play a decent back 4 ..then use the attacking players to attack. I dont think its that complex. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    If Chuks, Washington and Chuks are our three best strikers, we won't gain promotion next season. FACT.
    Have we cloned Chuks then?
    Yes. One plays 60 minutes, then is subbed for the other Chuks for the last 30!
  • Options
    JonT_Abs said:

..this squad should have a decent points ratio given the squad available regardless.

Post manager bounce this 3-5-2 is becoming unbearable but it continues every game. There are players available to play a decent back 4 ..then use the attacking players to attack. I dont think its that complex. 
    So you want to continue with a questionable manager? 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    JonT_Abs said:

So you want to continue with a questionable manager? 
    er ...perhaps not ..i do want to give him a chance. 

totally get the other comment about him needing to get the squad to play his style but he needs to do the best with what he has available...it cant keep being shit for the rest of the season and justifying it because we dont have the right players 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    If Chuks, Washington and Chuks are our three best strikers, we won't gain promotion next season. FACT.
    Have we cloned Chuks then?
    Yes. One plays 60 minutes, then is subbed for the other Chuks for the last 30!
    Both injured for the next game.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JJ's record since Sunderland...

WWDWWDLWWLLLDWWWLL
    30 points from 18 games, averaging 1.66 pts per game or over the course of a season could equate to 76/77 points. That has guaranteed play offs for the past 10 years minimum. 

Currently we are on target for 64 points not bad considering how many points we threw away at the start. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

WWDWWDLWWLLLDWWWLL
    30 points from 18 games, averaging 1.66 pts per game or over the course of a season could equate to 76/77 points. That has guaranteed play offs for the past 10 years minimum. 
    Do you think in Jackson's next 15 games he will average 1.66 pts per game? 

Think people won't be making this PPG argument come the end of the season. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

WWDWWDLWWLLLDWWWLL
    Do you think in Jackson's next 15 games he will average 1.66 pts per game? 

Think people won't be making this PPG argument come the end of the season. 
    I think he could, I am doubtful he will. If he does we still miss play offs by about 10 points on average over the last 10 years. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    JonT_Abs said:

JJ talked this week about building a formation and a style of play, patterns of play and how much they missed a pre-season to work on them.

He referenced that the successful likes Liverpool don’t really change formation.

This back 3 is obviously his preferred set up as it is for many many teams throughout the league. He clearly doesn’t want to play a back 4.

What is clear is he has round pegs in square holes. This season is just preparing for next season - for us fans that means it’s a right off.

Give him time to get his players in, get the bad apples out and pre-season to implement his ethos on them.
    round pegs in square holes will fit well enough if slim enough and not leave much space for stuff to leak through the corners (!)
     but our preponderance of square pegs selected for round holes, either don't fit at all but if they are slim enough to fit in the hole, the resultant gaps are just too big
    worst of all, too often square pegs are selected when there's an ably qualified left sided full back type defender available for the left full/wing back role rather than some lightweight flighty attacking winger type who has no defensive experience (or inclination) whatsoever - therein lies the biggest question mark over JJ's managerial ability
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Hmmm, so basically our decision making is questionable ? 

Maybe the squad needs a hypnotherapist or psychologist to help each of them at the appropriate times on the pitch .
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The team has given up, the club has given up. No Charlton representation in the boardroom at the game yesterday.
    Who is it usually the Parkes’ ?

Usually at least them, only myself & @TelMc32 leading the charge for the Vol-au-vents yesterday, and we were guests of Wigan.

Parkes aside, I had to giggle at the cohort that decided it was a priority to go to Morecambe on a Tuesday night when TS was here. 
    'Parkes aside' is a very apt expression, Airman Brown! We will not forget his dear wife: Bernie Ecclestone, epicure of vol-au-vents - who ignorantly and pompously slagged us all off on Facebook, for our spirited and successful objection to Duchatelet... 
  • Options

With a promotion winning side often having their top 3 strikers scoring 15, 20, 25 goals plus a sizeable amount coming from midfield, there is no sign during their many games at the club, that any of these three have what it takes. Some will say about Chuks good season however that still came as sub appearances, which would still require a senior striker to fill the 60 minutes he's not on the pitch. 

Stockley is not a lead striker.
    Chuks can't complete enough minutes to be lead striker. 
    Washington doesn't hit the target enough. 
    Thanks all for pointing out my piss poor posting. That'll teach to me, not to post after finishing a 23 hour shift. 

Back on point I stand by my view on our strikers. I dream of us picking up a Super Clive Mendonca or Andy Hunt. If either of Chuks, the other Chuks that looks like Stockley or Washington can score 20+ for us next season I'll give £50 to charity. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The problem on Saturday was, Stockley, Aneke, Washington, Fraser and Having to drop Famewo due to playing Burstow. It was also the ref missing a clear penalty, but mostly is is the same problem. It is just another game we have gone into severely weakened. Other games we have missed other players, but we have to put out a compromised side too often. Not just this season, but every season for years. When we have a non compromised side, we normally do well.

Had we used some of the Burstow money to bring in a proper striker like Stockton, we would have been exposed less. But it feels like we don't do enough to prevent ourselves being exposed.
  • Options
    The problem on Saturday was, Stockley, Aneke, Washington, Fraser and Having to drop Famewo due to playing Burstow. It was also the ref missing a clear penalty, but mostly is is the same problem. It is just another game we have gone into severely weakened. Other games we have missed other players, but we have to put out a compromised side too often. Not just this season, but every season for years. When we have a non compromised side, we normally do well.

Had we used some of the Burstow money to bring in a proper striker like Stockton, we would have been exposed less. But it feels like we don't do enough to prevent ourselves being exposed.
    I buy that to an extent.  Yes we miss such and such and no it's not realistic to have 11 back ups that are good enough nor 11 players that will all play 35 games minimum. 

But Bowyer never found a way to keep a clean sheet without Innis and Famewo, and had 20 odd games to do it.  There was a way. 

Adkins teams kept getting done by a balls into the space between the full back and the center back. 

Jackson's now getting done by simple balls over the top. 

All 3 of those things are the bits that turn a play off team into midtable and can be solved by 1 of 2 things.

It's either tactical or it's players not doing, or not able to do, what they are told.  It's why I was convinced Watson would get back in the team, yes he will cause you other problems with what he can't do, but at least he does what you tell him.  He is obviously a yard slower than he even was last season but sometimes we do miss his brain. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The ref missed 3 penalties, but 2 of them were for Wigan!
  • Options
    Has anyone actually said we dropped Famewo because of the limit of five loan players? Did we have to put both John & Castillo on the bench?

I just don’t think he’s been playing that well - he’s strong when he can muscle a guy off the ball, but he really hasn’t been outstanding for a while now. 
  • Options
    Has anyone actually said we dropped Famewo because of the limit of five loan players? Did we have to put both John & Castillo on the bench?

I just don’t think he’s been playing that well - he’s strong when he can muscle a guy off the ball, but he really hasn’t been outstanding for a while now. 
    I don't disagree with your assessment and think we can do better, but I think my conclusion is the most logical one
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think we should praise Burstow for his goal return and that promises a decent future as he develops other aspects of his game. Had he not been sold we could claim the benefits of him learning and developing in the first team. But he does not affect games with his play and that has a knock on effect throughout the team. If we are developing him for another club, I have to ask why. Of course, there is the argument that he is now being played due to injuries to our strikers, our best three being out against Wigan. But surely it exposes defeciencies in our planning where there was an opportunity to bring in a more oven ready striker, possibly even from Chelsea, who may have made a difference in what have been two recent narrow defeats which have served the last rites on our season.