Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th February - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    No shame in losing 2-1 away to the league leaders without our 3 main strikers. Sounds like we battled hard given our weak squad.

However the depressing reality is that the season is over and we're not even in the middle of February yet. That's utterly piss poor. Recruitment was slow and generally failed, Dobson aside no one has impressed me much out of the new signings.  I've been underwhelmed by Mac, his knack of staying on his line causes panic in our already pretty weak defence. AMB must be seriously considered as number 1 for next season imo.

There needs to be a big clear our next summer (again), too many of our players are average league 1 players. If Mac, Matthews, Morgan, Lee, Leko, Gilbey are all regular starters next year then we won't be going up. Famewo i'm 50/50 on, i quite like him but ideally we want better. I'm under the assumption Pearce, Watson and Gunter won't be playing a minute next year.
    Sandgaard needs to back JJ properly in the summer, let him bring in his own players because i think theres a good young coach in there.

• Options
    I’ll tell you one thing it ain’t: the formation. These players wouldn’t be good enough in a 352, a 442, a 433 or whatever else you want to dream up.

But incidentally they might all be good enough in any formation with the right team mates. 

We feel very weirdly fractured at the moment.
  • Options
    If us as loyal fans of many years are deflated and uninspired now how on earth do you rally and an XI with nothing to play for and 3 months to go!  A lot more flat dead performances coming, but as I said they’ll turn it on last month as the window approaches.
    I thought Jackson's comments in the SLP may have driven them to fight for their mate... Alas no.
  • Options
    We never got on top in the middle. Always dropping deep and not finding effective outlets on the break. Not awful, but not good. Second best against an organised Wigan team.
  • Options
    Final for the Masked Singer starts in 20 minutes!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought we were surprisingly good in the first half. But did anyone else feel we’d lose after Gilbey hit the bar? The side lack a bit of character and confidence. 
    Two awful goals to concede. For the first it looked like Matthews was worried about giving away a free kick, but shocking defending regardless. Clare showed his inexperience in brushing past the attacker in the box, giving him the excuse to fall over. 
    MacGillivray must learn to come for crosses, or else we need to get rid. 
    I kept my eye on Dobson today, and he was virtually faultless. There’s more to him than tackling, his distribution was excellent, and he’s so comfortable on the ball. 
    Fraser has only played about twenty minutes for us, but already we’re missing him. 
    The last few seasons have been tense affairs. This one is fizzling out. 
    Dobson played well again but was partially at fault for the second goal
  • Options
    All things considered it was a better performance than I expected with that side. Glad we did not risk Lavelle as he is going to be an important player next season and we need him playing.
    For the first time in years we now have an opportunity to sit down and make some serious decisions on where we are going as a team and a Club. Players who we think are surplus to requirements need to be dropped from the squad and we need to pick those under contract and youth team players.
     Also need to start having conversations with the agents of players we are after so we can make signings as soon as the window opens. 
    Seeing the youth step up would make it more interesting for me - obviously not all at once!
  • Options
    In order to have a successful season, you need the heavens to align in many different ways. You need to keep your most important players fit, you need important referreeing decision to go your way etc.
    This season has been a disaster from the outset in every respect.
    Our three best strikers all out injured! It would be hard for any team to deal with that.
    I don't think we are a million miles away from being a promotion contender like Wigan or Sunderland.
    We need a keeper who can command his area, and a strike partnership like Stockley and Washington, playing most weeks.
    Thomas needs to give Jacko an assurance that he'll definitely be in charge again next season, then Jacko needs to start forming next season's squad right now, who does he want to keep, who does he want to let move on.
    What's happened to Charlie Barker BTW? He looked a great prospect under Bowyer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn’t watch the game so more of a general comment based on what I’ve picked up on here.  Seems to be a bit of a hap hazard set up at the moment.  I know Washington and Aneke were both injured today, so that doesn’t really leave Jackson with much option other than Burstow and Leko.  Leko has had a poor season as a result of injury and not really grabbing his chance when given the opportunity.  

It’s the general feel about the team/squad.  Even at full strength, I’m not convinced.  

We really need to be quite ruthless in the summer.  We’re a pleasant club. By that I mean, we have so many good historical and deep rooted things about this club, but I think it stops us from being clinical and where and when we need it. 

Take Bowyer.  I truly believe a large part of his success was down to the career he experienced.  He played and had the mentality of someone with that winner’s desire.  Curbs had a quiet determination and steel about him. The current set up doesn’t.  Where’s the accountability?  An example, and just my opinion, someone like Gilbey thinks he’s safe here.  He thinks, I’ve done enough, I’m contracted to next year, I’m pretty much a first team regular.  

Leko.  What have we seen from this guy that says, shit, Brum don’t want me next year, I’m literally playing for a contract. 

Famewo, dropped today, which probably says, we tried something else because ultimately, you’re not good enough to warrant an offer.

I think, looking at the line up today, it was always going to be tough.  But we’re 31 games in now.  The season is almost done.  I see a lot of coasting and not much caring 
  • Options
    Lost all interest in this season. Blow the whistle ref. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Lost all interest in this season. Blow the whistle ref. 
    I actually think using the remainder of the season to get a closer look at some of the younger players, alternative systems etc would make it more interesting. I would accept 14th if it felt like it was part of a strategy building towards success next season more readily than I would accept limping to 12th with no real plan in place for next season. 

Edit - obviously I don’t mean being totally insane and inviting relegation! 
  • Options
    So depressed by constant silly mistakes, a goalkeeper who can't catch,players being injured and being told "Just a niggle" and out for 3 months. Best and brightest Academy players being sold for peanuts and turning up in the Prem as good solid players. 

TS seems to have his heart in the right place but the club is a shambles, Loan players who don't even travel, Players signed who need "couple of weeks to integrate".

I am so f@*ked off at the moment.  
    Well the latest academy product that has been sold did nothing today , did he.
  • Options
    It all done and dusted now but need to keep an eye on the bottom 3 as a few more defeats we will be right amongst it 
  • Options
    Didn't bother watching in the end. Have seen the "hi-lights" Very good move for our goal and Burstow blocked a certain goal before Gilby hit the bar.

Defending appeared comical again. WTF was Matthews playing at for the penalty and the less said about Purrington and Dobson for the winner, the better.

From the brief hilights, also looks like the ref missed 3 other penalties. 2 for them and one stonewaller for us when someone tried to rip Innis's shirt off.

Utterly bored of this season and my total disconnect from this group of players. Unless there are freebies knocking around, can't see me watching another game before the start of next season.
  • Options
    loss to a team going for promotion .. couple of youngsters got on for a while .. Inniss gets through yet another 90, good news .. we are in a season of transition, why are Leko (not our player) and Burstow (sold) still being selected (and Lee for that matter).. we need to look to the future  and give OUR players all possible time during games .. another meh meh game in a meh meh season t b h
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    loss to a team going for promotion .. couple of youngsters got on for a while .. Inniss gets through yet another 90, good news .. we are in a season of transition, why are Leko (not our player) and Burstow (sold) still being selected (and Lee for that matter).. we need to look to the future  and give OUR players all possible time during games .. another meh meh game in a meh meh season t b h
    Wigan aren’t doing too badly in there season of transition are they?, we aren’t in transition, we’ve just turned out to be a bit shit. Downright flakey in fact. What a shit season!!😂☹️
  • Options
    So depressed by constant silly mistakes, a goalkeeper who can't catch,players being injured and being told "Just a niggle" and out for 3 months. Best and brightest Academy players being sold for peanuts and turning up in the Prem as good solid players. 

TS seems to have his heart in the right place but the club is a shambles, Loan players who don't even travel, Players signed who need "couple of weeks to integrate".

I am so f@*ked off at the moment.  
    Weren’t both loanees on the bench today?
  • Options
    Giants like Accrington and Burton are above us in the table. Cheltenham probably happy to wait for us to get beat at Wendy’s before they do the same. 
    We can’t defend, but worse our game management leaves a lot to be desired. 
    Also, I wouldn’t start Burstow- not sure he is hungry anymore after his wage rise. 
    See, for me, I don't mind losing to teams like Wigan & Bolton (who both have strengthened far better than us over the last 2 transfer windows) but to be falling below teams like Accrington, Burton, Lincoln & Cambridge says it all. Some of our players may not be of top 6 quality but we have enough good players to be above the other ones mentioned after 30 games.
    I’d love a pound for every time someone on here says we have good enough players to be……… and yet we’re left scratching our heads, maybe we don’t really know anything about football at all!!🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Awful…don’t get the selection players being played in the wrong position when we have players that play there sit on the bench, lack of ideas and Leko is nicking a living 
  • Options
    Just seem the goals.

Shocking defending from Matthews. He could so easily just knocked the ball out for a corner. Instead he just lets the player go past him as he doesnt want to trip him. Basic stuff.

We were unlucky with Gilbey's shot - but if you only do it once a game then more often or not they don't go in. Do it 3 or 4 times a game then I'm sure 1 will find the back of the net. 

I said right at the start of the match thread once I'd seen the team sheet thay we'd need to go on the attack more as we wouldnt stop them scoring.

• Options
    Has Mac ever saved a penalty? He’s costing us a goal a game at the moment. Hendo isn’t it either, bring back AMB and see if he’ll be any good for next season.
    We can't recall AMB outside a transfer window.
  • Options
    JJ…. could be heading out the door after recent games…. Admire his history with us. But, this is a results game…… an his are pretty shit……