Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th February - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    We have a painful couple of weeks ahead of us before we get to some winnable games again.  

This squad is poor, how we have arrived here after the money we have spent for this league is quite unbeleivable.

It is not the managers fault; Sandgaard or Gallen have to take the blame.  Gallen certainly seems to have lost his touch and Sandgaard bringing in his son to the absolutely vital recruitment team is just plain madness imo.

Roll on next season, hope it's better but without change I am not expecting it.
  • Options
    A few days ago we were level with Bolton. Now we're 6 points behind them, and they're the team in form and 8 points off the playoffs
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Until today his points per win ratio would have seen us in 4th place. Bit early to be saying he has to go imho. 
    The day Chris Powell got the job I said to my dad I am gutted.  He left, as a player in, such the perfect way. 

Jackson, when he leaves, should be clapped out the front door, not pushed out the back.

Doesn't look good in my book. 
  • Options
    A left back at centre back.
    A midfielder at centre back.
    A right back at right wing back.
    A right winger at left wing back.
    A forward, or whatever Leko is, as striker.
    That’s 50% of our outfield players playing out of position/not their preferred position. All to make sure we can play this sacred 352.

This 352, which uses players out of position for the centre back and wing backs, has given us 1 clean sheet out of the past 9 matches.
    We had 4 centre backs fit for today (5 including Elerewe), but we played 2 non CB’s for the 3 CB positions. We had more CB’s on the bench than on the pitch.

We could have easily played a 433 or 442 diamond, with players generally in their right positions.

Sorry, but its just stubbornness at this point. The loyalty to the 352 is baffling, we just don’t have the personnel for it. Too many individual errors and players not knowing their roles defensively. We need to stop leaking goals.

Our team sheet is just a mess whenever the lineup changes. Alan Turing couldn't work out whose meant to be playing where.
    I’m a bit behind and quoting from first page but that is a cracking post.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Has Mac ever saved a penalty? He’s costing us a goal a game at the moment. Hendo isn’t it either, bring back AMB and see if he’ll be any good for next season.
    We can't recall AMB outside a transfer window.
    Off subject but shame we didn’t loan Davison to non league as we could have recalled him now. Not saying he’d come back and start banging in goals but I think he’d at least bust a gut for us and the ball would stick up top more than it seems to be with Chelsea loanee Burstow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The frustrating thing for me is that since Jacko took over we’ve played one team that I’ve thought “they’re genuinely good, this lot” and that was Rotherham, and we matched them and could’ve beaten them. We seem to up and lower our level to match the opponents. We’ve given some decent sides a bit of a hiding, and got turned over by some absolute shite. Again, we were not great at times today, but in anyway aided by having to play without any of our senior strikers, but there really wasn’t a whole lot in it. It was the same vs Bolton. When we play well we have the ability in the squad to beat most teams in this division, but we’re able to lose to any of them as well. We are close to being a good side but there’s an ingredient lacking. Just a few to many players who don’t have the right level of drive and determination. Not enough “we will not fucking lose this” characters in the team. I think maybe Innis, Dobson, and Stockley have it. Maybe Gilbey on a good day. Other than that it’s not really there. Matthews optimized it today - just some really casual bits of passing and defending that got us into trouble several times, but he also swing in some good crosses. We need better than that, though, if we’re going to be consistent enough to get out of this shitty league. 

I can take losing, it’s part of being a CAFC fan, but the absolute piss poor standard of this league and it’s referees is just getting to me. I nearly didn’t bother today, which would be the first time I chose not to watch a match I could do since the streaming service was launched a few years ago. 
    Trouble is when we play well and win games, the refs don’t seem so bad, what does that tell us? You are without doubt correct about the league and refs, but we need to take that out of the equation by at least putting consistently good performances in. But we’re not are we.
  • Options

Sandgaard needs to back JJ properly in the summer, let him bring in his own players because i think theres a good young coach in there.

I'm not calling for JJ to go, I just want him to prove he's worth another season in the remaining games by some decent performances. Aside from the new manager bounce, objectively speaking what have you seen that shows he's a good young coach since being made permanent?

It's too much of a risk for Sandgaard to confirm him for next season at this point in time for me. I don't want to see Clare at RCB next season, and that's what we'd see. Yes he's a great ball carrier from defense, but he's often being caught out because he's not a natural defender.
  • Options
    I thought we got the right side of the refs decisions today 
    easily could have been 3 pens to 1 
    Clare was walking a tightrope 
    the fourth official at one point did everything possible to wind up their player whilst he was trying to take a throw .

there was a reluctance to book them but if that game had been the opposite way around there would have been flood of tears due to the injustice of it all 
  • Options
    Oh, I’m not using the refs as an excuse, or even saying they’re only shit against us and in favour of our opponents - we certainly got away with a couple today. I’m just saying they’re shit and it’s getting on my tits, but less so than how fucking awful the standard of football is, generally, and how that just not entertaining. That goes for us as much as our opponents. 30 matches this season and I’ve seen two good teams - Rotherham and us when we play really well, which has been no more than 4 times, the rest of the time we’ve been decent at best and shite at worst. 
  • Options
    Oxford and Wycombe weren’t bad either, I suppose, but Wycombe did not play in any way appealing football. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The team has given up, the club has given up. No Charlton representation in the boardroom at the game yesterday.
  • Options
    The team has given up, the club has given up. No Charlton representation in the boardroom at the game yesterday.
    Who is it usually the Parkes’ ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few days ago we were level with Bolton. Now we're 6 points behind them, and they're the team in form and 8 points off the playoffs
    I can only remember two teams in recent years who have really strengthened their squad so significantly in the January window, Bolton and Millwall side in 16/17. 

Very easy to spend TS money, but if Gunter/Watson aren’t going to kick a ball in anger between now and the end of the season shouldn’t we have just paid them off and brought someone in preparation for next season already.
  • Options
    Certainly an air of resignation isn't there. Quite simply not good enough. Mid table and really need to start building for next season. Naturally Johnny will say he wants to win every game and will play anyone available to him. I think he looks pissed off and I am not sure it's given that TS will extend his contract. Seems a bit of unrest. Dreadful that we remain in this league again and I am struggling to feel optimistic about promotion next season.
  • Options
    Clare to be dropped now, his calamitous defending has gifted two goals in two games.
  • Options
    The frustrating thing for me is that since Jacko took over we’ve played one team that I’ve thought “they’re genuinely good, this lot” and that was Rotherham, and we matched them and could’ve beaten them. We seem to up and lower our level to match the opponents. 
    I've seen Charlton do that every week ever since I started watching.

Is so frustrating when we play someone below our level and instead of despatching them with ease, we make a game of it.

I know its the FA Cup, but Gateshead and Norwich... two perfect examples.
  • Options
    To lose your three main strikers is extremely unlucky .. doubt any team  could cope with that in any division … and once again there was a thin line between getting a result and defeat .. we were unlucky at Bolton the sending off would have forced Bolton to change there approach and yesterday when we were up against it before a ball was kicked .. a clear pen on Inniss not given .
    We don’t get them key moments go our way .. the team battled really well yesterday and two be fair to them we could and should have come away undefeated from both these tricky away games this week … 

• Options
    As bad as Leko was yesterday, there was no way Jacko was taking him off and having Burstow & Kanu upfront.
  • Options
    Why have we still not seen the two youngsters we have on loan?