Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

Comments

• Options
    What's disappointed me most is his anonymity. You expect a senior player to be a leader, whether on and off the pitch, whereas he's just been there in the background.
  • Options
    Could be to do with his option for a further year, they might not want him to hit a certain amount of games for us 
  • Options
    What's disappointed me most is his anonymity. You expect a senior player to be a leader, whether on and off the pitch, whereas he's just been there in the background.
    Agree.

He's no Pearce or Pratley in his leadership or fight.

I don't think he's as good as them as a player either, certainly not on his displays in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Because he shit like most of them
    Thank you for that well reasoned responce.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Doesn't play well in the 3 at the back formation
    Did you miss the Wales Italy game in the summer?

That just makes it more frustrating how bad he has been for us, anywhere. 

I watched the entire Wales v Italy game.  Gunter hid as well as it is possible to hide in a back formation.

Lots of pointing, not much shouting, very little contact with players and/or ball.  It was a masterclass.

When we signed Gunter, I thought that he would be a great asset ... and presumably Gallen did too.  An older head to guide the younger players.

I don't recall him once putting an arm around the shoulders of players like Maatsen.  And too many occasions when he was done by simple tricks ... there was a penalty conceded as Gunter accidently clipped the heels of the forward running away from him.  That's a schoolboy error.  

Complete disappointment and no loss when he goes.
  • Options
    Dreadful signing  . Can't wait to see the back of him as well as Watson , Souaré, Leko , Burstow and Lee .
  • Options
    The error at Gillingham where he gave away the penalty was a big moment, because before that he'd been very good; consistently steady at right back and filled in well at centre half.

That was the moment he was Charltonised.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The most baffling of a long list of failers over the last 18 months. 

He isn't too old, he isn't too young, he isn't injury prone, he actually was good, he hasn't been misused or abused.

Everyine else that has failed at least has an excuse.  I can't see what his is.  I can forgive poor performances out of position but even at right back in a flat 4 he has been poor. 
    I think the best excuse Gunter can have is that last season broke his brain. He didn't start playing for us until October, which I'd completely forgotten, and when he came in he didn't see a goal conceded for 5 consecutive games and didn't lose until his 8th. The problem was that he was then forced to move from his natural position of right back to centre back, playing alongside Darren Pratley and the Burton game murdered his soul. He shouldn't really have been asked to form that makeshift defence but there was no choice, and then when he was restored to RB he got two assists and a goal in 4 games. He tended to move with the mood of the team after that though, that's my biggest criticism of him. If the defence was solid that day he'd be solid. If we were dominating possession and attacking well he'd have a good game. When the team was having a bad one though he'd be right there amongst the worst of them, not really something you expect from an incredibly experienced 31 year old international. We needed a bit of calm leadership from him and we got a player who acted like a recent academy graduate, absorbing the mood of the team instead of influencing it.
  • Options
    Dreadful signing  . Can't wait to see the back of him as well as Watson , Souaré, Leko , Burstow and Lee .
    And Matthews, Pearce, Famewo, That keeper, Morgan, Purrington, Gilbey, DJ…
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The most baffling of a long list of failers over the last 18 months. 

He isn't too old, he isn't too young, he isn't injury prone, he actually was good, he hasn't been misused or abused.

Everyine else that has failed at least has an excuse.  I can't see what his is.  I can forgive poor performances out of position but even at right back in a flat 4 he has been poor. 
    Lost his motivation I guess, it’s just a job. He’s a Wales legend so keeps his place in their squad regardless.

May be wrong but I assume he was at his peak when he was at his fittest, able to get up and down the pitch. Combine that with having that drive and motivation to took to do well earlier in his career he must have been a much more effective player.

On paper he was someone who just needed regular game time when in reality he turned out to be a someone on the way down and a signing we should have avoided.

If we stick with Jacko then we need wing backs with pace and energy - I’d avoid signing anyone similar to Gunter given any experienced player who still has those in their game won’t be dropped down to L1.
    He had just turned 31 when we signed him, it's not like he is in his late 30s.  As far as I am aware he has never had a serious injury like Souare.  He hasn't played so many games at a young age like Rooney or Cesc that has caused him to age quicker.

At least Matthews, Purrington and the rest of the pudding gang have the occasional good game. 
    Yeah like I said on paper he should have been good enough, at least in a back four.

I’m relieved JJ doesn’t rate him and there’s little risk his extension will be activated.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread was a setup!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    He's only had a handful of good games for us over the last two seasons and has, generally speaking, been very poor. He takes little responsibility on the field and does not demonstrate the sort of leadership we could reasonably expect from a player of his experience. Whether it's right or wrong, he gives the impression, rather like Watson, of going through the motions.

I don't think he's played for us since he was bullied by Stockton at Morecambe and I think he was only selected then because we had three central defenders out injured. I sincerely hope that I do not see him in a Charlton shirt again.
  • Options
    Next stop, Newport County (probably)
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Next stop, Newport County (probably)
    I agree - if Wales can get past Austria and then either Scotland or Ukraine (and it's a big 'if'), I could see Gunter accepting a short term, nominal wage deal at Newport to keep him in full time training until the World Cup starts in November.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Talal said:
    Same old same old Charlton fans judgement on a player. Dog shite is most common. 
    The history of this club is littered with players who were abused badly by people who consider them seven fair minded and good judges of another person's merits be whatvever , in this case players who have often made more than a decent career at football as judged by there peers.

Gunter has well over 500 league appearances and over 100 international caps, maybe only inept useless Wales but they do play a lot against the world's best players . That record isn't an accident. Plus his time here has not been our best period both as a team or in club stability.  
    On top if that he hasn't been in his preferred position often and our tactics have been unsettled to boot.

I agree with one comment.  Despite that he should have shown more leadership.  The thing is, did he ever show that at Reading ?
    Well you've convinced me, sign him up for next season. 
     Do be an arse , why not. When things don't work out it is best to move on. Like Simon Francis did and several others. He ended up in the Premiershit for several years. Our supporters thought  he couldn't  pass water, let alone a ball. 
    I don’t really care if they were good elsewhere, but I do care about what they’ve done in a Charlton shirt.

And in 50+ games Gunter hasn’t had more than 1-2 good ones.

Simon Francis went on to have a great career, good for him. But what he showed in a Charlton shirt wasn’t the level expected.

We’re in the bottom half of League One for a reason pal - and players like Gunter, Matthews, Watson etc coasting along and going through the motions is one of the reasons.
    I am not your pal, sarcastic oaf.  Have you ever tried  to work out why so many go on to have better careers after leaving and had better ones before.  The common denominator is CAFC. 
    I don't for a minute believe players Coast along. Too many injuries on the pitch and in training  for that. 
    This club doesn't  get the best out of players  physically  or mentally.  
    With fans like you  I wonder why.
    He is awful though
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Same old same old Charlton fans judgement on a player. Dog shite is most common. 
    The history of this club is littered with players who were abused badly by people who consider them seven fair minded and good judges of another person's merits be whatvever , in this case players who have often made more than a decent career at football as judged by there peers.

Gunter has well over 500 league appearances and over 100 international caps, maybe only inept useless Wales but they do play a lot against the world's best players . That record isn't an accident. Plus his time here has not been our best period both as a team or in club stability.  
    On top if that he hasn't been in his preferred position often and our tactics have been unsettled to boot.

I agree with one comment.  Despite that he should have shown more leadership.  The thing is, did he ever show that at Reading ?
     Do be an arse , why not. When things don't work out it is best to move on. Like Simon Francis did and several others. He ended up in the Premiershit for several years. Our supporters thought  he couldn't  pass water, let alone a ball. 
    Look at Pope too! 
  • Options
    Talal said:

Gunter seriously can't pass a ball. Ive watched him at close quarters quite a few times.
    He is so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. And when he does release the ball it's either fizzed in at 100mph to someone 10 yards away or hoofed over the top.
    He has done nothing to suggest he's a cut above anyone in this league. In fact quite the opposite..

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know I am in the minority, but I don't think he has been that bad. Just disappointing. I saw one of his better games at home to Wimbledon last season. I agree that it was his performances at centre back and left back which harmed his reputation. 

I was surprised that he didn't move before the end of January because of his Welsh squad place and I agree that the World Cup will be his Swansong. Indeed his involvement there would make it even more unlikely that he would get a contract with us.Why would we want a player who will be missing for a month? 

His home town club Newport would be a good move for him especially if they got promoted to L1

• Options
    Richard J said:
    I know I am in the minority, but I don't think he has been that bad. Just disappointing. I saw one of his better games at home to Wimbledon last season. I agree that it was his performances at centre back and left back which harmed his reputation. 

I was surprised that he didn't move before the end of January because of his Welsh squad place and I agree that the World Cup will be his Swansong. Indeed his involvement there would make it even more unlikely that he would get a contract with us.Why would we want a player who will be missing for a month? 

His home town club Newport would be a good move for him especially if they got promoted to L1

Same here.

I'd be staggered if he was called up for their next internationals, when he hasn't played since November, other then 20 minutes against Norwich. Indeed maybe he should be in the U23s side today

He's only 32 (33 in the summer) so is he prepared to take the massive wage cut to play for Newport? Maybe he'll join Wrexham if they get promoted to L2
  • Options
    I remember passing on information from a Reading supporting friend when we signed him about how he would often go ‘missing’, and got some stick for it (which was annoying as was only passing on a friend’s opinion).

He’s had some good games, though he’s probably had more poor games. Wonder why he’s been given the captains armband on multiple occasions if he’s not bothered though?

Bit of hoping it would get a performance out of him? Or maybe he’s decent around the lads (though he seems quiet)?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    our squad needs drastic trimming .. Gunter, like or loath him, is now surplus to requirements 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gunter's played over 600 senior club and international matches during his career. That's a huge amount of wear and tear on a 32 year old player.
  • Options
    One thing about Gunter, unlike captain fairweather and the rest of the pudding gang, I haven't seen a single person suggest we should keep him.

He has been lumped in with Watson, 5 years older, and Souare, life threatening injury, as cast iron "get rid".

People even argued that Pratley, Oshilaja and Shinnie should have got new contracts last season. 
  • Options
    I watched Gunter carefully in a couple of Wales games in the past year and he was similarly anonymous as he has been in Charlton games. When defending he seldom gets a foot in or makes a telling challenge and he was no betting going forward. I don’t like to be unkind but I think it has been a waste of a squad place for the last 2 years.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    One thing about Gunter, unlike captain fairweather and the rest of the pudding gang, I haven't seen a single person suggest we should keep him.

He has been lumped in with Watson, 5 years older, and Souare, life threatening injury, as cast iron "get rid".

People even argued that Pratley, Oshilaja and Shinnie should have got new contracts last season. 
    This season would have been infinitely more enjoyable if we still had Pratley kicking people up in the air
    I miss the way he used do that body check where he would purposely throw himself across a player to buy a foul.  It started off as something he introduced toward the end of the game to run the clock down, protecting a lead.  Toward the end of his time here he did it pretty much every time he was in possession and didn’t have a sideways or backwards pass on.

Great servant, but I would argue he overstayed his time here even making the squad last season.

To think back to that team last year that had Watson, Pratley, Gunter & Pearce.  Bloody hell 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

This season would have been infinitely more enjoyable if we still had Pratley kicking people up in the air
    I miss the way he used do that body check where he would purposely throw himself across a player to buy a foul.  It started off as something he introduced toward the end of the game to run the clock down, protecting a lead.  Toward the end of his time here he did it pretty much every time he was in possession and didn’t have a sideways or backwards pass on.

Great servant, but I would argue he overstayed his time here even making the squad last season.

To think back to that team last year that had Watson, Pratley, Gunter & Pearce.  Bloody hell 
    And still only missed out on goal difference. At least one of them played pretty much ever game last season as well.