Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Feel free to shout me down, but my opinion on CG is that as a respected and experienced international player of many years, he should have been precisely the type of professional to know, understand and lead this team, and the fact that he didn't massively let down his manager and his team and himself. I hope whatever he is doing right now is looking at what has happened with JJ and is having a long hard look at himself in the mirror.

But he won't because he never really cared about the badge or fans even an iota as much as the person he ultimately let down.
    I think some times we are all guilty of expecting anyone over 30 of being a leader and proper "senior pro".  Not all people are natural leaders, how ever old and in almost every other walk of life 30-33 is quite young.

Doesn't excuse him being poor but it does excuse him being Stuart Pearce c1996.
    That's fair enough, but regardless of age he has international pedigree - which in my view elevates my expectations of him (compared to others in the squad) when it comes to professionalism and leadership. I'd say the same about Washington, but he put a shift in and never hid (even if sometimes his finishing let him down a bit) 

Maybe I'm just putting too much stock into being an international player? I genuinely don't know.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Feel free to shout me down, but my opinion on CG is that as a respected and experienced international player of many years, he should have been precisely the type of professional to know, understand and lead this team, and the fact that he didn't massively let down his manager and his team and himself. I hope whatever he is doing right now is looking at what has happened with JJ and is having a long hard look at himself in the mirror.

But he won't because he never really cared about the badge or fans even an iota as much as the person he ultimately let down.
    Neither of us know whether  he tried or not. It didn't  look like he didn't and strangely if true such crap performances got him into the Euro finals. Baffling if you are right.
    I know he didn't try because I watched him play
    I watched him play too. I tend to do that when I go. It seems to be the point of going.

I do not believe managers select players because  they don't  bother all week or on match days. 

And that then International Managers select  them.on their ability to avoid effort. 

You apparently do. 
    That's why he wasn't selected.
    He has been selected by Jackson and Wales last season just gone though. 
    How many times was he selected by Jackson... He made seven starts under him. Seven starts in forty games. Wow.

This is Wales most-capped international we're talking about, and he couldn't even be a regular in a struggling league one side? He was clearly not trying. All he cares about is Wales.
    Last year he played in the Euros. You think he is a non trier. If he had tried he would have been Messi then. 
    I have seen it here many times . A player is selected as a scape goat 🐐 given stick but amazingly ends up playing way beyond the level Charlton achieve and for years in many cases..
    Yes, we have established he likes Wales. 

Did JJ make Gunter his scapegoat as well? You said it yourself, managers don't play players who don't try. He gave him 7 starts in 40 games. That says it all.

Bye Chris, thanks for the memories. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Neither of us know whether  he tried or not. It didn't  look like he didn't and strangely if true such crap performances got him into the Euro finals. Baffling if you are right.
    I watched him play too. I tend to do that when I go. It seems to be the point of going.

I do not believe managers select players because  they don't  bother all week or on match days. 

And that then International Managers select  them.on their ability to avoid effort. 

You apparently do. 
    How many times was he selected by Jackson... He made seven starts under him. Seven starts in forty games. Wow.

This is Wales most-capped international we're talking about, and he couldn't even be a regular in a struggling league one side? He was clearly not trying. All he cares about is Wales.
    Last year he played in the Euros. You think he is a non trier. If he had tried he would have been Messi then. 
    I have seen it here many times . A player is selected as a scape goat 🐐 given stick but amazingly ends up playing way beyond the level Charlton achieve and for years in many cases..
    Usually younger players. No chance Gunter gets a contract above League 1 next season.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

You apparently do. 

Maybe it's because he gives 110% playing for Wales, but goes through the motions for his club side
  • Options
    I tell you what, it don't half get boring and repetitive hearing the same old "But what about Simon Francis" argument. That's literally one example, if it happened that often then surely people would be able to use other examples than just him?? 

It was a decade ago for gods sake...
  • Options
    Gunter trying to defend Stockton in the Morecambe away game was the single most inadequate piece of football from a Charlton player all season 
  • Options
    I tell you what, it don't half get boring and repetitive hearing the same old "But what about Simon Francis" argument. That's literally one example, if it happened that often then surely people would be able to use other examples than just him?? 

It’s like arguing we can go up from League 1 with a team of 5 ft 7 midfielders and attackers because it worked for Barcelona and Spain 10+ yeas ago.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

It’s like arguing we can go up from League 1 with a team of 5 ft 7 midfielders and attackers because it worked for Barcelona and Spain 10+ yeas ago.
    If they were good enough players then it may work? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

If we had the 5ft 7 midfielders Barcelona had, we would, even though some of them are in their 40s now :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

The issue is they have be so good their weaknesses don’t stop the team from getting promoted, e.g. when teams get physical with them and defending set pieces.

If you have a more rounded squad you can cope better with different scenarios.

Could be a fun challenge to play on Football Manager though. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

You apparently do. 

Yes, we have established he likes Wales. 

Did JJ make Gunter his scapegoat as well? You said it yourself, managers don't play players who don't try. He gave him 7 starts in 40 games. That says it all.

Bye Chris, thanks for the memories. 
    Remember  the likes of Simon Francis....much was said about him but he left us and spend most of that time in the Premiershit.  So should I trust the likes of you with your belittling opinions or Eddie Howe who knows sod all about football. 
    What has any of that got to do with my opinion on Chris Gunter... Should nobody ever have an opinion on a player just incase a completely different player goes on to play in the premier league? Absolutely bonkers!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

The issue is they have be so good their weaknesses don’t stop the team from getting promoted, e.g. when teams get physical with them and defending set pieces.

Reminds me a bit of our Karl Robinson team. Da Silva and Solly as full backs and then the likes of Fosu, Forster-Caskey, Clarke, Holmes. We used to play some nice stuff but we definitely got bullied in some games which is probably what stopped that team being a top 2 contender 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Reminds me a bit of our Karl Robinson team. Da Silva and Solly as full backs and then the likes of Fosu, Forster-Caskey, Clarke, Holmes. We used to play some nice stuff but we definitely got bullied in some games which is probably what stopped that team being a top 2 contender 
    Not as much as the center forward did, and I actually liked him.  I wonder what would have happened if Karl had been allowed Igor?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Gunter trying to defend Stockton in the Morecambe away game was the single most inadequate piece of football from a Charlton player all season 
    Including the offerings of kirk?
    I mean a single action. Kirk was just a whole bunch of nothing, Gunter's was a catastrophe in multiple parts that unfolded inside about three seconds
  • Options
    Pay up Pompey.........
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Not sure we ever were bullied.  It was more that we didn’t have a striker good enough to thrive off the service .  Had the guy with the pink hair been there a year earlier , we’d have gone up in 2017/18. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Including the offerings of kirk?
    You really have a hard on for Kirk don't you, just weird.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    He looks delighted 
    Got away with it again... Straight face keep schtum Gunts, keep schtum.
  • Options
    So Jacko goes back for the player he hardly played and completely ignored for the last 8 games of the season
    It is League 2 though. I’m sure he’d be happy to take most of our squad from last season into a full season in the league below. 
  • Options
    So Jacko goes back for the player he hardly played and completely ignored for the last 8 games of the season
    Add in the fact he will probably miss 6-8 weeks due to the World Cup then Gunter wont be getting too much game time in League 2.

• Options
    It is League 2 though. I’m sure he’d be happy to take most of our squad from last season into a full season in the league below. 
    Wasn't really one of lack of ability for Gunter though is it? He's fine for Wales.

It's a lack of attitude, something that Jackson couldn't get out of him. So it is really an odd one that he'd want him back in a side playing poorly again. 
    That's right. There's definitely value in having some senior pro's in a team to bring experience, but they need to be ones with 100% commitment and attitude that rubs off on the younger ones.

Having lazy half-arsed ones is exactly the wrong influence you want.
  • Options
    Surely that's the death of his Welsh career now though? Wales have a number of defenders playing at a higher level than league 2.

If he does get picked for the WC then it's surely only as a thank you for his career and he'll get a token sub appearance at the end of their last game.