Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Perhaps ‘frozen out’ was the wrong choice of words.  Regardless I think it’s a poor signing.  He’s got no hunger.  He might be a level below League One now, but it still doesn’t mean you can rely on experience and coast in the same way he did for us.  I understand a lot of people didn’t think he was really that bad, but for me, he was.  

Do you think Jackson would sign him, on probably quite good wages if he thought he coasted through games and didn't try?

I don't think I have ever seen a group of players, collectively, under perform as much as our "senior pros" have over the last two years.  There are mitigating circumstances for some of them (that's not the same as I think we should keep/kept them).

I would love to known the real reason/s.
    I really don’t know.  Perhaps Jackson likes the idea of a familiar face as he seeks to establish his presence at AFC.  I think it might be similar to Garner with us and some of the Swindon players we have/might sign.  Familiarity, that sort of thing.  

We may even see Jackson in for Morgan or Davison if we decide they are surplus to requirements.  Both I would see as potentially okay options for them 
  • Options
    Who knows that it was Jackson’s decision? 

If the owner knows that there’s a free agent who is a relatively high profile name, will be at the World Cup, and is willing to make the move - then I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to make a go of it.

I don’t expect AFCW are in a position to be turning round to a player of that prominence and availability and just say “no, thanks”

Their fans will be over the moon thinking it’s a real superstar signing - the same way we did.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If the owner knows that there’s a free agent who is a relatively high profile name, will be at the World Cup, and is willing to make the move - then I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to make a go of it.

I don’t expect AFCW are in a position to be turning round to a player of that prominence and availability and just say “no, thanks”

Their fans will be over the moon thinking it’s a real superstar signing - the same way we did.
    Having read the replies to the announcement on Twitter that’s exactly what has happened.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    cafctom said:

Having read the replies to the announcement on Twitter that’s exactly what has happened.
    And a fair number of charlton fans trying to spoil their party too, which is just mean spirited and unnecessary. 
  • Options
    Don’t think he is a bad signing for them. Looked ok whenever he played RCB in the back 3 this season just that Clare was much better there so he didn’t get any games. Jacko was right that he wasn’t good enough for League 1 but League 2 I think he will be fine. Also interesting to see Josh Parker is on trial with them 
  • Options
    I'm no expert but I don't think Chris Gunter and Josh Parker are the sort of signings that will get you promoted. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Has Retired from International Football: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64901392
  • Options
    The only surprise is that it's taken so long after the world cup to make the announcement. The obvious time for that generation to bow out, especially with Gunter now playing at  a club level way below international standard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow. I can't think of any examples of players missing matches for his club because he's doing some coaching for his national team.
  • Options
    Wow. I can't think of any examples of players missing matches for his club because he's doing some coaching for his national team.
    He is such a strange player.

For the last decade of his career he looked like he would die for a Wales shirt.  He looked like he had died in a club one!
  • Options
    Presume he's got permission from Wimbledon?

Surprised they said yes, but then again they have seen him play.
  • Options
    Wales, Wales coaching, Wimbledon
    British artist Banksys derelict theme park Dismaland is now open
  • Options
    Oh the memories... What a player  WHAT A PLAYER!
  • Options
    He’s a Bale fan boy and is preparing for a life after football as a butler at Bale’s house 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon he should swap the first letter of his first and last name around... seems more appropriate... Ghris C**ter
  • Options
    Clear demonstration of what his priority is with football and unfortunately for the clubs that have been paying his wages for the last few seasons it's not them.
  • Options
    Retired from playing, joining Wales as a national team development coach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65480504
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Makes sense, he was semi-retired for us!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Makes sense, he was semi-retired for us!
    That is polite view.