Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

Comments

• Options
    So Jacko goes back for the player he hardly played and completely ignored for the last 8 games of the season
    It is League 2 though. I’m sure he’d be happy to take most of our squad from last season into a full season in the league below. 
    Wasn't really one of lack of ability for Gunter though is it? He's fine for Wales.

It's a lack of attitude, something that Jackson couldn't get out of him. So it is really an odd one that he'd want him back in a side playing poorly again. 
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Think it was a bit of both.
  • Options
    Thought for a minute he had resigned for us, yes, bullet dodged!!!

• Options
    edited July 2022
    The 'Scapegoat' has 'scaped to league two
  • Options
    Watch his performances fall off a cliff the moment the World Cup is out the way.
  • Options
    Surely that's the death of his Welsh career now though? Wales have a number of defenders playing at a higher level than league 2.

If he does get picked for the WC then it's surely only as a thank you for his career and he'll get a token sub appearance at the end of their last game.
    He'll still be picked. After all Jonny was still picked despite playing in L2.

Gunter is a key part of the Welsh setup, whereas for example Adam Matthews isn't.
  • Options
    So Jacko goes back for the player he hardly played and completely ignored for the last 8 games of the season
    It is League 2 though. I’m sure he’d be happy to take most of our squad from last season into a full season in the league below. 
    Wasn't really one of lack of ability for Gunter though is it? He's fine for Wales.

It's a lack of attitude, something that Jackson couldn't get out of him. So it is really an odd one that he'd want him back in a side playing poorly again. 
    I guess that’s a matter of opinion. I never saw him not trying, he just wasn’t very good at football. 

I don’t recall is attitude ever being questioned behind the scenes, I’d hazard a guess he’s incredibly professional off the pitch and that’s probably why Jackson is bringing him in to a very young squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Jackson’s going to struggle at AFC imo.  Obviously I don’t know what budget/constraints he’s working to, but this is a mental signing.  A player well past it that only turns it on in his Wales shirt.  

Really odd given Jackson looked like he froze Gunter out when he was first appointed, and only brought him back when we needed cover at the back.  Not a good decision and you question Jackson’s nous bringing someone like Gunter in
    Won't work in a 3-5-2 either
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I suspect JJ only 'froze' Gunter out because he had an appearance clause. He clearly rates him.

A good signing in L2. Not sure where he would play in Jackson's 5 3 2 formation.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Jackson’s going to struggle at AFC imo.  Obviously I don’t know what budget/constraints he’s working to, but this is a mental signing.  A player well past it that only turns it on in his Wales shirt.  

Really odd given Jackson looked like he froze Gunter out when he was first appointed, and only brought him back when we needed cover at the back.  Not a good decision and you question Jackson’s nous bringing someone like Gunter in
    Wimbledon's new kit: red shirts.

Jacko's got it all sussed out.

• Options
    It definitely looked like he was trying to do that at some points last season. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

He probably felt he just had better players than him ahead of him.

As crap as we were last season we were quite a bit better than Wimbledon and they have probably lost a few as well.

Remember everyone saying that Euell, Pearce, Washington, Gilbey and God knows who else would go to Wimbledon?

Football doesn't work like that and they aren't all best buddies if they are in the team or don't like, or rate, each other if they aren't.
  • Options
    I think if the truth ever comes to light, we might find an appearances bonus tucked away in this saga. 
  • Options
    If Gunter is part of the Wales World Cup finals squad in November ... has Wimbledon ever had a player in the World Cup finals before?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    If Gunter is part of the Wales World Cup finals squad in November ... has Wimbledon ever had a player in the World Cup finals before?

Was Dave Bessent still at Wimbledon in 90?  I think he had left by then.

Terry Phelan?  94?  Kenny Cunningham?  Guessing.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Like you, I honestly can't remember.

Plus, do we  include 'old' Wimbledon or just the present incarnation?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh Jacko what are you doing. Dropping another league and another level in motivation of has-beens.
  • Options
    Gunter never gave his all; never really was committed to the team. He had too many awful games for me to think he has anything to offer Wimbledon 
  • Options
    This upsets me, I want to believe in JJ but he must’ve watched how shite Gunter was….this just makes Thomas seem correct….
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Phelan was at Man City in 94, Cunningham joined Wimbledon in world cup year and left in another.......
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Marcus Gayle for Jamaica in '98 maybe?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Mr. Happy said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Marcus Gayle for Jamaica in '98 maybe?
    Efan Ekoku played in 98 but don't think he went to the world cup.

Gayle certainly played in the 98 world cup and was still at Wimbledon:-)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Perhaps ‘frozen out’ was the wrong choice of words.  Regardless I think it’s a poor signing.  He’s got no hunger.  He might be a level below League One now, but it still doesn’t mean you can rely on experience and coast in the same way he did for us.  I understand a lot of people didn’t think he was really that bad, but for me, he was.  

Do you think Jackson would sign him, on probably quite good wages if he thought he coasted through games and didn't try?

I don't think I have ever seen a group of players, collectively, under perform as much as our "senior pros" have over the last two years.  There are mitigating circumstances for some of them (that's not the same as I think we should keep/kept them).

I would love to known the real reason/s.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Perhaps ‘frozen out’ was the wrong choice of words.  Regardless I think it’s a poor signing.  He’s got no hunger.  He might be a level below League One now, but it still doesn’t mean you can rely on experience and coast in the same way he did for us.  I understand a lot of people didn’t think he was really that bad, but for me, he was.  

That was what disappointed me about him. The Gunter who played for Wales was clearly a key member and leader of the squad, both on AND off the field, whereas I never got that vibe when he was with us, unlike other senior pros like Pearce, Pratley and even Watson (where the problem was physical rather than motivation)