Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Talal said:
    Same old same old Charlton fans judgement on a player. Dog shite is most common. 
    The history of this club is littered with players who were abused badly by people who consider them seven fair minded and good judges of another person's merits be whatvever , in this case players who have often made more than a decent career at football as judged by there peers.

Gunter has well over 500 league appearances and over 100 international caps, maybe only inept useless Wales but they do play a lot against the world's best players . That record isn't an accident. Plus his time here has not been our best period both as a team or in club stability.  
    On top if that he hasn't been in his preferred position often and our tactics have been unsettled to boot.

I agree with one comment.  Despite that he should have shown more leadership.  The thing is, did he ever show that at Reading ?
    Well you've convinced me, sign him up for next season. 
     Do be an arse , why not. When things don't work out it is best to move on. Like Simon Francis did and several others. He ended up in the Premiershit for several years. Our supporters thought  he couldn't  pass water, let alone a ball. 
    I don’t really care if they were good elsewhere, but I do care about what they’ve done in a Charlton shirt.

And in 50+ games Gunter hasn’t had more than 1-2 good ones.

Simon Francis went on to have a great career, good for him. But what he showed in a Charlton shirt wasn’t the level expected.

We’re in the bottom half of League One for a reason pal - and players like Gunter, Matthews, Watson etc coasting along and going through the motions is one of the reasons.
    I am not your pal, sarcastic oaf.  Have you ever tried  to work out why so many go on to have better careers after leaving and had better ones before.  The common denominator is CAFC. 
    I don't for a minute believe players Coast along. Too many injuries on the pitch and in training  for that. 
    This club doesn't  get the best out of players  physically  or mentally.  
    With fans like you  I wonder why.
    He is awful though

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    One thing about Gunter, unlike captain fairweather and the rest of the pudding gang, I haven't seen a single person suggest we should keep him.

He has been lumped in with Watson, 5 years older, and Souare, life threatening injury, as cast iron "get rid".

People even argued that Pratley, Oshilaja and Shinnie should have got new contracts last season. 
    This season would have been infinitely more enjoyable if we still had Pratley kicking people up in the air
    I miss the way he used do that body check where he would purposely throw himself across a player to buy a foul.  It started off as something he introduced toward the end of the game to run the clock down, protecting a lead.  Toward the end of his time here he did it pretty much every time he was in possession and didn’t have a sideways or backwards pass on.

Great servant, but I would argue he overstayed his time here even making the squad last season.

To think back to that team last year that had Watson, Pratley, Gunter & Pearce.  Bloody hell 
    Agree with the last paragraph.  Worryingly,  that team is going to finish ahead of this one still.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    One thing about Gunter, unlike captain fairweather and the rest of the pudding gang, I haven't seen a single person suggest we should keep him.

He has been lumped in with Watson, 5 years older, and Souare, life threatening injury, as cast iron "get rid".

People even argued that Pratley, Oshilaja and Shinnie should have got new contracts last season. 
    This season would have been infinitely more enjoyable if we still had Pratley kicking people up in the air
    I miss the way he used do that body check where he would purposely throw himself across a player to buy a foul.  It started off as something he introduced toward the end of the game to run the clock down, protecting a lead.  Toward the end of his time here he did it pretty much every time he was in possession and didn’t have a sideways or backwards pass on.

Great servant, but I would argue he overstayed his time here even making the squad last season.

To think back to that team last year that had Watson, Pratley, Gunter & Pearce.  Bloody hell 
    He was the absolutely master of falling down in slow motion, one portion of his body at a time like a broken accordion. By the end he was so old he'd learned to overcome physics.
  • Options
    Thought this thread was saying that he'd been released from his Contract when I initially saw it!!
  • Options
    Thought this thread was saying that he'd been released from his Contract when I initially saw it!!
    The way our China dolls keep getting  injured he could be needed. Who was the last one to do 42 games plus ?

Where is J F-C by the way ?
    How many months since his ACL operation has it been?
  • Options
    Absolutely central to our summer plans for even more stability and to be offered a two year contract extension,  a part-time coaching role, a complete box-set of Harry Secombe presents Hymns of Praise, incontinence pants and a mobile home in Herne Bay. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    cafctom said:
    Talal said:
    Same old same old Charlton fans judgement on a player. Dog shite is most common. 
    The history of this club is littered with players who were abused badly by people who consider them seven fair minded and good judges of another person's merits be whatvever , in this case players who have often made more than a decent career at football as judged by there peers.

Gunter has well over 500 league appearances and over 100 international caps, maybe only inept useless Wales but they do play a lot against the world's best players . That record isn't an accident. Plus his time here has not been our best period both as a team or in club stability.  
    On top if that he hasn't been in his preferred position often and our tactics have been unsettled to boot.

I agree with one comment.  Despite that he should have shown more leadership.  The thing is, did he ever show that at Reading ?
    Well you've convinced me, sign him up for next season. 
     Do be an arse , why not. When things don't work out it is best to move on. Like Simon Francis did and several others. He ended up in the Premiershit for several years. Our supporters thought  he couldn't  pass water, let alone a ball. 
    I don’t really care if they were good elsewhere, but I do care about what they’ve done in a Charlton shirt.

And in 50+ games Gunter hasn’t had more than 1-2 good ones.

Simon Francis went on to have a great career, good for him. But what he showed in a Charlton shirt wasn’t the level expected.

We’re in the bottom half of League One for a reason pal - and players like Gunter, Matthews, Watson etc coasting along and going through the motions is one of the reasons.
    I am not your pal, sarcastic oaf.  Have you ever tried  to work out why so many go on to have better careers after leaving and had better ones before.  The common denominator is CAFC. 
    I don't for a minute believe players Coast along. Too many injuries on the pitch and in training  for that. 
    This club doesn't  get the best out of players  physically  or mentally.  
    With fans like you  I wonder why.
    Ha! Listen to yourself.

”Fans like me” are the reason we don’t get the best out of players? 

Chris Gunter has been playing international/Championship football for well over a decade before he came here. And he hasn’t come anywhere close to showing that quality despite dozens of chances. 

If “fans like me” is enough of a reason for players of that experience to instantly turn shit then he clearly doesn’t have what it takes to get us where we need to be.

But somehow you think it’s the fans who are at fault for that. Strange.
  • Options
    Football players no matter how good a career they have had and no matter how many international caps they have won eventually reach an age where they go in decline. 
    We have had some in the past who fall into this bracket. 
    Hasslebaink 
    John Barnes Etc. 
    You can now add the names Watson and Gunter to this list.
    Their past achievements count for nothing now as they are clearly not good enough for a promotion chasing side.
  • Options
    Football players no matter how good a career they have had and no matter how many international caps they have won eventually reach an age where they go in decline. 
    We have had some in the past who fall into this bracket. 
    Hasslebaink 
    John Barnes Etc. 
    You can now add the names Watson and Gunter to this list.
    Their past achievements count for nothing now as they are clearly not good enough for a promotion chasing side.
    John Barnes was class in the limited time we had him tbf! Well past his Liverpool pomp, but he still had "it". Gunter has just been very very average at best. Most of the time he's been really poor. I don't think anyone can argue with that and we all expected more from a fella with his experience. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gunter's completely pathetic, inadequate, cowardly and inept attempt to defend Cole Stockton was a killer moment as far as our season was concerned imo
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Easy for me to be Captain Hindsight, but I wish we’d signed Gunter on a try be you buy loan, would have sent him back like Arter given the way he’s performed for us.
  • Options
    Great through ball from Gunter to start the move leading to Wales' goal tonight. There's definitely a footballer in there. Baffling how his displays for club and country can be so different.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Great through ball from Gunter to start the move leading to Wales' goal tonight. There's definitely a footballer in there. Baffling how his displays for club and country can be so different.
    I'd say disgraceful more than baffling.
    To play well you need to at least care.
    Says it all about Wales that he can be picked and play when he's playing absolute shite for us - Surely he should care about playing for us, as would play more for Wales
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Stig said:
    I'd say disgraceful more than baffling.
    To play well you need to at least care.
    I think this is a very common stereotype that people have around Gunter. The fact he has been given the captains armband, as well as that even when he does not have it, he is one of the only players to challenge the referee when there’s a decision that goes against us - makes me think that he probably does ‘care’ or at least wants the team he is playing for to do well. 

The real issue here is that he just not very good. He has two things he can do, pass the ball back to the centre back, or the chipped through ball over the top. That’s pretty much all he does when he gets the ball now. Yeah, that worked for Wales last night, but 99 times out of 100 we know it does not, and his caring for Wales didn’t make him play that ball better. 
  • Options
    There is something about Welsh players that they either can not play for their club or they’re playing awful for their club yet they go away on international and they turn it on or at least put in a good performance. Find it strange as it seems to happen far more with Wales than it does elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    There is something about Welsh players that they either can not play for their club or they’re playing awful for their club yet they go away on international and they turn it on or at least put in a good performance. Find it strange as it seems to happen far more with Wales than it does elsewhere. 
    I don’t know enough about individual Welsh players to make any sort of informed comment, but I do feel like that’s kinda like international football in a nutshell, lots of ‘weaker’ nations seem to have periods where they are performing well and punching well above their weight.

Not sure if it’s because the type of football played is different, or because sometimes there are a few better players in the team that raises everyone level, or the pride for playing for your nation, or a combination of those and other factors. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I'll wait for confirmation from someone's Iceland supporting mate but I don't think it's that rare for the smaller countries.

When your talent pool is so small your turn over is much less and your squads are almost one out at one end and one in at the other.   Which helps build that close knit squad.

Once your in your in.  If the Gunter Matthews (to very comparable players) situation happened in England you wouldn't have a 85/15 split of the caps it would be much closer to 60/40.

The manger neither has dozens of players to pick nor as much debate about who he should or shouldn't pick. 

Johnny Williams played last night.... 

• Options
    Sage said:
    It starts from the top with Bale. Giggs was a world class club footballer who rarely was at his best for Wales, whereas Bale for several years only seems motivated by playing for Wales.

They do see to have a great "club" spirit in the camp, that players raise themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Im convinced he only plays club football so that he can get into the wales squad. Its bizarre with wales that a lot of their squad don't play well for club but still get picked for their country. They didnt call up Fulham's harry wilson whos having an amazing season, but Jonny williams who plays for swindon in league 2 does. Very strange.
  • Options
    Im convinced he only plays club football so that he can get into the wales squad. Its bizarre with wales that a lot of their squad don't play well for club but still get picked for their country. They didnt call up Fulham's harry wilson whos having an amazing season, but Jonny williams who plays for swindon in league 2 does. Very strange.
    Wilson did play in the qualifying playoff game

What's more surprising is that someone like Tom Lawrence, who's been really good for Derby, can be left out. It seems that they are a tight knit ground, so keep faith  in the same group of players even if they are in L2 (Williams) or hardly playing (Gunter).
  • Options
    Wilson did play in the qualifying playoff game

What's more surprising is that someone like Tom Lawrence, who's been really good for Derby, can be left out. It seems that they are a tight knit ground, so keep faith  in the same group of players even if they are in L2 (Williams) or hardly playing (Gunter).
    Ah yes you're right, I meant lawrence. Its madness.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    To be fair to Gunter I don't think he's been particularly bad when he's played this season. He was past it as a quality right back unfortunately and absolutely hung out to dry last season as a CB in a two, often alongside an equally out of position Pratley. He started this season covering at left back, which isn't his position, but more recently he's been played as a CB in a three, which is how Wales use him, and he's not been terrible. He's not been brilliant either, but then no-one has in the games he's played in and he's not been any worse than the rest of our players. His goalline clearance a few weeks ago is probably more than some of our defenders have offered in months. He'll be gone at the end of the season and it's not been a great two year stay but I do feel he ends up as a bit of a lightning rod for criticism amongst our fans, which is harsh on a player who has stepped in to a number of unfamiliar positions for us and at least hasn't hidden. He seems like a decent bloke too.
    I think this is fair, but ultimately he's at best looked average in his natural position and was dreadful at CB for a period - albeit not playing with a lot of support there due to injuries. But at the end of the day that's how most will remember his 2 years in a Charlton shirt.

Regarding caring more about playing for his country, realistically of course he does. He's in League 1 at the near-end of his career, playing for a mid-table spot in the 3rd tier whilst also playing for a place at the World Cup in Qatar with his country. We don't have to like it, and I don't think anyone thinks that he's been deliberately crap for us, but anyone in that position would be way more invested in Wales. I'm sure he trains and plays with professionalism for us and wouldn't say as much, but come on... I'm a Charlton fan and I'd care more about Wales in that situation.
  • Options
    To be fair, I was on about their two best players in Bale and Ramsey. Neither have done anything much at club level for at least a couple of years but turn it on almost every time for Wales. Maybe it’s amplified more bring a home nation, just find it a little odd.
  • Options
    To be fair to Gunter I don't think he's been particularly bad when he's played this season. He was past it as a quality right back unfortunately and absolutely hung out to dry last season as a CB in a two, often alongside an equally out of position Pratley. He started this season covering at left back, which isn't his position, but more recently he's been played as a CB in a three, which is how Wales use him, and he's not been terrible. He's not been brilliant either, but then no-one has in the games he's played in and he's not been any worse than the rest of our players. His goalline clearance a few weeks ago is probably more than some of our defenders have offered in months. He'll be gone at the end of the season and it's not been a great two year stay but I do feel he ends up as a bit of a lightning rod for criticism amongst our fans, which is harsh on a player who has stepped in to a number of unfamiliar positions for us and at least hasn't hidden. He seems like a decent bloke too.
    I think this is fair, but ultimately he's at best looked average in his natural position and was dreadful at CB for a period - albeit not playing with a lot of support there due to injuries. But at the end of the day that's how most will remember his 2 years in a Charlton shirt.

Regarding caring more about playing for his country, realistically of course he does. He's in League 1 at the near-end of his career, playing for a mid-table spot in the 3rd tier whilst also playing for a place at the World Cup in Qatar with his country. We don't have to like it, and I don't think anyone thinks that he's been deliberately crap for us, but anyone in that position would be way more invested in Wales. I'm sure he trains and plays with professionalism for us and wouldn't say as much, but come on... I'm a Charlton fan and I'd care more about Wales in that situation.
    I had expected him to retire from international football after the Euros. 100 caps, a major tournament to bow out at, and I had expected him to lose his place in the squad to younger players, but clearly he wants to go on to Qatar and the Welsh want to keep picking him

It will be interesting where he ends up in the summer. Who would want a player who'll be missing for several weeks mid season for the World Cup, and who will be pacing himself before then...
  • Options

I had expected him to retire from international football after the Euros. 100 caps, a major tournament to bow out at, and I had expected him to lose his place in the squad to younger players, but clearly he wants to go on to Qatar and the Welsh want to keep picking him

It will be interesting where he ends up in the summer. Who would want a player who'll be missing for several weeks mid season for the World Cup, and who will be pacing himself before then...
    Newport? They signed Joe Ledley not only after us, but after he played in the Australian league.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I still haven't got over Oxford away.
    It was one of the most consummate and effective displays of hiding I have ever witnessed.
    Captain? Jeez. I don't think I've even heard him speak, let along rouse, cajole or inspire his teammates.
    He's leadership equivalent of a wet lettuce.
    Men of Harlech. Pah! Man of Horlicks when he is in a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    Sage said:
    To be fair, I was on about their two best players in Bale and Ramsey. Neither have done anything much at club level for at least a couple of years but turn it on almost every time for Wales. Maybe it’s amplified more bring a home nation, just find it a little odd.
    Funnily enough, I think the same could be said for a few of the England players, albeit not to the same extent as Bale and Ramsey. Growing up England always had quality players who couldn't quite click at International level. Now you've got the likes of Pickford, Shaw, Maguire who were three of our best players at the Euros but can't match performances at club level (Shaw and Maguire might benefit from 5 at the back admittedly). Even Kane was banging them in at the start of the season for England whilst going through a drought at Spurs.