Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter - gone to AFC Wimbledon (p6)

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    To be fair, I was on about their two best players in Bale and Ramsey. Neither have done anything much at club level for at least a couple of years but turn it on almost every time for Wales. Maybe it’s amplified more bring a home nation, just find it a little odd.
    I think you see how much of an impact one world class player, and Bale is world class, can have on a team when you look at sides like Romania, Bulgaria in the early 90s and Denmark and Sweden at different times.

It doesn't always work, has Zlatan ever played in a world cup? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    To be fair, I was on about their two best players in Bale and Ramsey. Neither have done anything much at club level for at least a couple of years but turn it on almost every time for Wales. Maybe it’s amplified more bring a home nation, just find it a little odd.
    I think you see how much of an impact one world class player, and Bale is world class, can have on a team when you look at sides like Romania, Bulgaria in the early 90s and Denmark and Sweden at different times.

It doesn't always work, has Zlatan ever played in a world cup? 
    Yeah Zlatan played in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I think Gunter has not been too bad for us, but accept that given his International status he has been a disappointment. Being played out of position has affected how many supporters view him. 

Ironically the World Cup may hinder Chris Gunter getting a contract outside the Championship in the same way as missing a couple of games earlier in the season (Burton Away) cost him his starting berth at the Valley.

For a team playing with a traditional Right Back I think he could do a reasonable job. JJ clearly wants a Right Wing Back which isn't suitable for Chris. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    He wants to go and get another contract so he's putting in some effort at the tail end of the season.

Let's not forget he spent months fit and not even in the squad. 

Forget about being bad for us, I think he's been taking the piss to be honest. 

Wales most-capped international.
  • Options
    I’d imagine a move to Wrexham could be on the cards, particularly if they get promoted. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I think Gunter has not been too bad for us, but accept that given his International status he has been a disappointment. Being played out of position has affected how many supporters view him. 

Ironically the World Cup may hinder Chris Gunter getting a contract outside the Championship in the same way as missing a couple of games earlier in the season (Burton Away) cost him his starting berth at the Valley.

For a team playing with a traditional Right Back I think he could do a reasonable. JJ clearly wants a Right Wing Back which isn't suitable for Chris. 
    He’s been very ordinary even when he’s played at right back.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Richard J said:

For a team playing with a traditional Right Back I think he could do a reasonable. JJ clearly wants a Right Wing Back which isn't suitable for Chris. 
    He’s been very ordinary even when he’s played at right back.
    Last season when he first joined he played during the successful run at Right Back .This year he has only played a couple of times as a conventional Right Back . He started the season as an out of position Left Back. 
  • Options
    He still never stood out during that run - always did a job rather than really impressed.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He still never stood out during that run - always did a job rather than really impressed.
    As a right back he never stood out but was OK.  As anything else he has been awful. 

As a right back he was probably better, truth be told, than Solly in 18/19 but neither him nor Matthews were as good as Matthews was in the championship.  With their pedigree, age and injury history (plus what we are paying them) I don't think it's wrong to say we expected, rightly, much better than OK. 
  • Options
    How addick1956 sees CharltonLife and Chris Gunter: https://youtu.be/ZZ17nsRN7pY
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An average player on a par ability wise with most of his Charlton teammates.
  • Options
    Gunter not let us down at all .. he played in a three and as a wing back and his main position right back .. 
    when he been called upon he done well and in his last two games was really helping Laville alongside him 

• Options
    Gunter not let us down at all .. he played in a three and as a wing back and his main position right back .. 
    when he been called upon he done well and in his last two games was really helping Laville alongside him 

Curbs said the same, finally we’ve confirmed you’re Alan Curbishley.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

1-0 Burton
    https://youtu.be/LIijJTMmPK8

Our 3 is even better when you see it from the restart.  Watson, Gunter, Williams.  The stuff of dreams. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    That was the one 8/10 game I've seen Gunter play for us.
  • Options
    Anyone else notice Gunter’s pre-match superstition of running over to touch the corner flag in front of the family stand before kick-off? Any other players have quirky habits?

• Options
    Will be playing for the Wombles in League Two next season I hear.
  • Options
    Makes sense with Bowen 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He only plays for Welsh coaches...
  • Options
    They haven't renewed Bowen yet and I understand he has certain demands to consider it.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    They haven't renewed Bowen yet and I understand he has certain demands to consider it.
    Surely the prospect of being able to mange Gunter will seal the deal. 
  • Options
    Feel free to shout me down, but my opinion on CG is that as a respected and experienced international player of many years, he should have been precisely the type of professional to know, understand and lead this team, and the fact that he didn't massively let down his manager and his team and himself. I hope whatever he is doing right now is looking at what has happened with JJ and is having a long hard look at himself in the mirror.

But he won't because he never really cared about the badge or fans even an iota as much as the person he ultimately let down.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My Welsh, Wombles fan friend will be delighted (genuinely).
  • Options
    Feel free to shout me down, but my opinion on CG is that as a respected and experienced international player of many years, he should have been precisely the type of professional to know, understand and lead this team, and the fact that he didn't massively let down his manager and his team and himself. I hope whatever he is doing right now is looking at what has happened with JJ and is having a long hard look at himself in the mirror.

But he won't because he never really cared about the badge or fans even an iota as much as the person he ultimately let down.
    I think some times we are all guilty of expecting anyone over 30 of being a leader and proper "senior pro".  Not all people are natural leaders, how ever old and in almost every other walk of life 30-33 is quite young.

Doesn't excuse him being poor but it does excuse him being Stuart Pearce c1996.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Neither of us know whether  he tried or not. It didn't  look like he didn't and strangely if true such crap performances got him into the Euro finals. Baffling if you are right.
    I know he didn't try because I watched him play
  • Options
    My Welsh, Wombles fan friend will be delighted (genuinely).
    He won't be when he realises he's only interested in staying fit for the World Cup, assuming they qualify
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Neither of us know whether  he tried or not. It didn't  look like he didn't and strangely if true such crap performances got him into the Euro finals. Baffling if you are right.
    I watched him play too. I tend to do that when I go. It seems to be the point of going.

I do not believe managers select players because  they don't  bother all week or on match days. 

And that then International Managers select  them.on their ability to avoid effort. 

You apparently do. 
    That's why he wasn't selected.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I watched him play too. I tend to do that when I go. It seems to be the point of going.

I do not believe managers select players because  they don't  bother all week or on match days. 

And that then International Managers select  them.on their ability to avoid effort. 

You apparently do. 
    That's why he wasn't selected.
    He has been selected by Jackson and Wales last season just gone though. 
    How many times was he selected by Jackson... He made seven starts under him. Seven starts in forty games. 

This is Wales most-capped international we're talking about, and he couldn't even be a regular in a struggling league one side? He was clearly not trying. All he cares about is Wales.