Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Q&A with Thomas Sandgaard Thu 3 March - link to meeting notes p9

Comments

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Sage said:
    And before anyone says, I am not trying to be cheap, I think £400 is the absolute maximum a season ticket should be especially at this level. That’s just over £17 a game. It’s still a lot of money.
    My stepdad pays £500 at Luton and they have a waiting list, plus give you a discount if you renew. 
    Luton's capacity is much smaller than ours, the demand for premium priced seats will be much higher as the facilities at Kenilworth Road are pretty poor in comparison to 'The Valley'.
  • Options
    I’m registered but don’t have a Zoom link anywhere - is this sent nearer the time?
    On the day usually IIRC.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Would you rather have a finger that can travel through time or an armpit that dispenses sun tan lotion?
    Have you ever tried to suck your own cock?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    shine166 said:
    Sage said:
    And before anyone says, I am not trying to be cheap, I think £400 is the absolute maximum a season ticket should be especially at this level. That’s just over £17 a game. It’s still a lot of money.
    My stepdad pays £500 at Luton and they have a waiting list, plus give you a discount if you renew. 
    A level above and looking strong with an outside chance of making the play-offs. And even better with a renew discount. We are bottom half League One and offer one free drink a season…
    Exactly my point.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    clive said:
    shine166 said:
    Sage said:
    Luton's capacity is much smaller than ours, the demand for premium priced seats will be much higher as the facilities at Kenilworth Road are pretty poor in comparison to 'The Valley'.
    Yeah thats what i was getting at. League above, waiting list, loyalty discount etc and still cheaper than our top prices. 
  • Options
    You’re not breaking even in League One. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I’m registered but don’t have a Zoom link anywhere - is this sent nearer the time?
    On the day usually IIRC.
    Thank you 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    This is what Saandgard said at the international fans forum meeting a couple of weeks ago

Finances

AP asked TS about the state of the club’s financial situation and asked what his thoughts on that are. TS said that last season was very expensive especially due to Covid with no fans in the stadium for most of the season, but he expected that when he bought the club. He said that this season he is still investing in the club. Spending on players has been increased a little bit compared to the previous season. He said that the investment is to create a core of players that can be counted on for the long term and are good enough to grow with Charlton. He said investing in long-term contracts puts the club in a better position moving forwards. He said he has also invested in the ladies team and getting the academy to a category one academy, so that long term the club will benefit. He said the academy costs many millions of pounds every year and is expensive to run but does have a big benefit to the club. He said we have the 14 th best academy in the country, ahead of some Premier League teams and some category one academies. He said he is proud of that and wants to make it even stronger. He said the academy has a good foundation and is really well managed
    He said there’s more potential to improve revenue (with increased attendance) and that he’s working on that. He said he’s losing about £8m this season but he hopes to get closer to break even next season. He said to get closer to break even will in part be due to increased commercial sales, whether that be tickets, hospitality, streaming, club shop. He said that filling up the stadium is key when it comes to improving revenue. He said that CharltonTV had been an example of where an increase in investment, had improved the product and had generated a large increase in revenue. He said he hopes to make slightly less investments in the future while generating higher revenue based on the investments he is making now.

Repurchase of The Valley

JW asked TS if he still intends to repurchase The Valley. TS said that this is a very complex issue but that his short answer would be absolutely yes. He said he is in regular contact with Roland Duchatelet and Lieven de Turck. He said the sooner the better for agreeing a deal and he is definitely working on it. He said it may take some time but he is trying to find a way. 

Supporters can read the full meeting notes here.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6206876ba5323/international-fans-forum-meeting-notes

He's still representing Roland!

I'm not sure buying The Valley (and training ground) is a complex issue. It all boils down to the price, and whether Roland is prepared to accept something sensible
  • Options
    Thomas himself believes that his shares could well be worth over $100 per share once all the sales territories in the US are populated by sales staff.
    I’m not expert on the markets at all but how does he expect such a small company to have shares over $100 per share?

I worked for an $8bn business with 44% operating margin and they were ‘only’ $80… surely this is the stuff of dreams?

However his projections for 2022 seems very positive so who knows. Feels like a lot is resting on this Kestral acquisition.

No mention of this issue with the insurance company and the law suit though?
  • Options
    Personally I have lost my drive to watch us live atm, will get it back over the spring maybe even if we are as shit as we are now.

that said, what is keeping me and the lad going is @aliwibble. Thank you and if you ever fancy a husband, let me know 😁
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Thomas himself believes that his shares could well be worth over $100 per share once all the sales territories in the US are populated by sales staff.
    I’m not expert on the markets at all but how does he expect such a small company to have shares over $100 per share?

I worked for an $8bn business with 44% operating margin and they were ‘only’ $80… surely this is the stuff of dreams?

However his projections for 2022 seems very positive so who knows. Feels like a lot is resting on this Kestral acquisition.

Umm ... I don't want to be facetious, but the nominal share price depends on the number of shares.

A big Company doesn't necessarily have a greater share price than a smaller Company. 

Multiply the two together (share price x number of shares) and you get the market capitalisation ... and this is an indicator of the size of the Company.

That said, I think the idea of Zynex shares hitting $100 is a bit of a dream at the moment.
  • Options
    Personally I have lost my drive to watch us live atm, will get it back over the spring maybe even if we are as shit as we are now.

that said, what is keeping me and the lad going is @aliwibble. Thank you and if you ever fancy a husband, let me know 😁
    Eh? You spent all day in the pub Neil?
  • Options
    Thank you very much cast for organizing this, as someone who lives away I can’t wait to take part.

I’m hoping for a sense that he is learning from the failures but also he will be talking about the positives and adjusting communicating an updated plan.

Additionally I would love an attitude of ‘Never too high, never too low’.
  • Options
    I am simply passing on the info I have been given directly from Thomas when I've asked him about the Zynex value and share price drops and his ability to fund the club. I'm sure others have had the same or similar responses from him. As I have mentioned before I'm more in favour of a fan owned model. 
  • Options
    I am simply passing on the info I have been given directly from Thomas when I've asked him about the Zynex value and share price drops and his ability to fund the club. I'm sure others have had the same or similar responses from him. As I have mentioned before I'm more in favour of a fan owned model. 
    Interesting thought Dagenham on a fan own model. I understand the sentiment but for me in an ideal world it’s having the best and most professionally knowledgeable people possible to run the club is the only criteria. They don’t have to be historians of the club.
    That is outside of any of the obvious moralistic scruples I may have.
  • Options
    I won’t be able to watch, but if anyone has a chance, a question about the transfer strategy this summer would be interesting.

As I understand it, the plan according to Clive’s post above is a core group of players we can work with over the long term, so we don’t have to go through constant rebuilds.  It’s all opinion at the end of the day, but we’re likely to finish a way off what I would consider having a core group of players capable.  Does this mean he’ll be willing to provide the resource necessary to completely rebuild again, if deemed necessary? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fan owned models never seem to last very long, as other than small clubs with a tight budget, football is a loss making business. Plus capital improvements (whether to the stadium or training facilities) would be unaffordable too
  • Options
    AFC Wimbledon’s fan-owned model is pretty robust and has included funding a new stadium.

Luton are owned by a consortium of local fans with the Supporters’ Trust an integral part. Interesting article here:

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.uk/news/owners-of-english-football-league-clubs-can-look-to-luton-town-blueprint-for-inspiration

Agree there are massive challenges, though, when a club like CAFC loses £8-10M a season. 
  • Options
    AFC Wimbledon’s fan-owned model is pretty robust and has included funding a new stadium.

Luton are owned by a consortium of local fans with the Supporters’ Trust an integral part. Interesting article here:

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.uk/news/owners-of-english-football-league-clubs-can-look-to-luton-town-blueprint-for-inspiration

Agree there are massive challenges, though, when a club like CAFC loses £8-10M a season. 
    How much do they both lose per season?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    AFCW break even, I believe. Think Luton are quite prudently managed too. One of our big issues as @Airman Brown frequently points out are our v high fixed overheads - thanks mainly to having a PL standard stadium. 

AFCW are also still predominantly run by volunteers on the non-footballing side.
  • Options
    Rather than getting sucked in to pointless debates on player strengths and weaknesses with the non football management how about:

1. biggest lessons learnt this  year and therefore what will be different going forward ?

2. what behind the scenes / infrastructure stuff is happening we may not be aware of ?
  • Options
    AFCW break even, I believe. Think Luton are quite prudently managed too. One of our big issues as @Airman Brown frequently points out are our v high fixed overheads - thanks mainly to having a PL standard stadium. 

AFCW are also still predominantly run by volunteers on the non-footballing side.
    Yes I believe a big part of a fan owned model is volunteering on the non football side. I know at least three people who would give their time for free including myself around my freelance commitments. Don't rule out Thomas even considering this in the future.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Maccn05 said:

Umm ... I don't want to be facetious, but the nominal share price depends on the number of shares.

A big Company doesn't necessarily have a greater share price than a smaller Company. 

Multiply the two together (share price x number of shares) and you get the market capitalisation ... and this is an indicator of the size of the Company.

That said, I think the idea of Zynex shares hitting $100 is a bit of a dream at the moment.
    Thanks and no worries! as I said I’m no markets expert 😬
  • Options
    clive said:
    This is what Saandgard said at the international fans forum meeting a couple of weeks ago

Finances

AP asked TS about the state of the club’s financial situation and asked what his thoughts on that are. TS said that last season was very expensive especially due to Covid with no fans in the stadium for most of the season, but he expected that when he bought the club. He said that this season he is still investing in the club. Spending on players has been increased a little bit compared to the previous season. He said that the investment is to create a core of players that can be counted on for the long term and are good enough to grow with Charlton. He said investing in long-term contracts puts the club in a better position moving forwards. He said he has also invested in the ladies team and getting the academy to a category one academy, so that long term the club will benefit. He said the academy costs many millions of pounds every year and is expensive to run but does have a big benefit to the club. He said we have the 14 th best academy in the country, ahead of some Premier League teams and some category one academies. He said he is proud of that and wants to make it even stronger. He said the academy has a good foundation and is really well managed
    He said there’s more potential to improve revenue (with increased attendance) and that he’s working on that. He said he’s losing about £8m this season but he hopes to get closer to break even next season. He said to get closer to break even will in part be due to increased commercial sales, whether that be tickets, hospitality, streaming, club shop. He said that filling up the stadium is key when it comes to improving revenue. He said that CharltonTV had been an example of where an increase in investment, had improved the product and had generated a large increase in revenue. He said he hopes to make slightly less investments in the future while generating higher revenue based on the investments he is making now.

Repurchase of The Valley

JW asked TS if he still intends to repurchase The Valley. TS said that this is a very complex issue but that his short answer would be absolutely yes. He said he is in regular contact with Roland Duchatelet and Lieven de Turck. He said the sooner the better for agreeing a deal and he is definitely working on it. He said it may take some time but he is trying to find a way. 

Supporters can read the full meeting notes here.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6206876ba5323/international-fans-forum-meeting-notes

Not a chance in hell. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I won’t be able to watch, but if anyone has a chance, a question about the transfer strategy this summer would be interesting.

As I understand it, the plan according to Clive’s post above is a core group of players we can work with over the long term, so we don’t have to go through constant rebuilds.  It’s all opinion at the end of the day, but we’re likely to finish a way off what I would consider having a core group of players capable.  Does this mean he’ll be willing to provide the resource necessary to completely rebuild again, if deemed necessary? 
    As you say, I don't think that we have a core group that you would want to be at the club long term. The one obvious exception on appearances so far would be Dobson who only signed a two year deal last summer. So a question for sandgaard, are we negotiating a new deal for George or are we going to let arguably the one person who gives 100% every game run his contract down & walk away ?

• Options
    Has Thomas got the money we need to buy us some class players to get us out this league?