Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lifers' Cancer Updates - @Redmidland has decided to have surgery (p51)

Comments

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    Hi all, Normally a reader of threads than a poster, at 67, just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and Bone Cancer and been given a prognosis of 4 years, still trying to remain positive, things could change, but, best of luck to all on here, hoping to see Charlton in the Championship in the next couple of years.
    Not sure if words can help, but all the best and keep positive 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Hi all, Normally a reader of threads than a poster, at 67, just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and Bone Cancer and been given a prognosis of 4 years, still trying to remain positive, things could change, but, best of luck to all on here, hoping to see Charlton in the Championship in the next couple of years.
    Very sorry to hear this John. You're right to keep positive and that things can also change too, so keep that up if you can, difficult though it will be at times I'm sure.

All the best for your upcoming treatment too. 
  • Options
    All the very best mate. 
  • Options
    All the very best wishes, John 
  • Options
    Appreciate all your comments, COYR.
  • Options
    Best wishes RedJohn.
  • Options
    Best wishes for the future
  • Options
    All the best @RedJohn. Keep fighting. 
  • Options
    In our thoughts, RJ.

Here if you need us x
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that RedJohn.  I will keep you in my positive thoughts and hope for medical advances which are happening so quickly now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck RedJohn. As Fanny says, we're here if you need us.
  • Options
    Hello @RedJohn. Please stay positive. Things really are changing quickly on the cancer treatment front. Such a lot can happen in 4 years. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the news John, fingers crossed we can have some long overdue joy on the pitch next season to take your mind off things.  
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your news, @RedJohn Keep positive and make the most of every day, hopefully there will more than you currently think. 
  • Options
    Go well John, we're all thinking of you pal.
  • Options
    I know it isn't easy but try and keep positive RedJohn
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Happy birthday Red and many congratulations on reaching your fundraising target.
    Have a great day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John. Sorry to hear your news but, as others have said, try to stay positive.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Malc
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Hi all, had a more in depth bone scan last week and spoke to my Consultant yesterday, he said that I do not have Bone Cancer and that the original scan showed a dark shadow which they thought/assumed was cancer, Great news, although i still have Prostate Cancer, and they are now telling me that if the Medication I am currently taking, which has taken my PSA level, which should be in the range of 0 to 4, it was 39, down to 3.9. In 6 months I will be having Radiotherapy for 6 weeks, 5 days a week, and potentially, could be Cancer Free at some time in the future, how quickly things can change, still just taking 1 day at a time though, thanks for all your support.

That’s brilliant news. Longevity with prostate cancer is very good so you must feel like you’ve won the lottery. So pleased for you. 
  • Options
    Positive news, RJ. PLease keep us updated regarding your journey.

And have a great day, RM ! You deserve it ! x
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Hi all, had a more in depth bone scan last week and spoke to my Consultant yesterday, he said that I do not have Bone Cancer and that the original scan showed a dark shadow which they thought/assumed was cancer, Great news, although i still have Prostate Cancer, and they are now telling me that if the Medication I am currently taking, which has taken my PSA level, which should be in the range of 0 to 4, it was 39, down to 3.9. In 6 months I will be having Radiotherapy for 6 weeks, 5 days a week, and potentially, could be Cancer Free at some time in the future, how quickly things can change, still just taking 1 day at a time though, thanks for all your support.

Great news mate!! The radiotherapy is an easier treatment than chemo. I had it for 5 weeks, 5 days a week. Major side-effect is fatigue, but other than that its not too bad. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Brilliant news RedJohn, I'm delighted for you.
    Keep your pecker up Redmidland.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Malc!
    Great news RJ 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    Great news Redjohn! In some ways you must feel like you’ve hit a bit of a jackpot. The cancer has not metastasized like they had previously told you. Keep smiling. 
  • Options
    RedJohn I am a prostate cancer survivor. Two points: 1. Many of my cancer "colleagues", who I struck up a friendship with during my many weeks of Radiotheraphy, had a higher PSA score than 39. I hope that is a small comfort for you. 2. (and I am seeking ShootersHillGeru for an opinion here). I would ask your consultant for your Gleason Score and ask him/her to interpret that score for you. The Gleason score is assessed by the number of cancerous pieces of your prostate following your biopsy and the condition of your "clean" pieces from the same biopsy. I understand that the score is considered to be more accurate of your true condition than the PSA score. ShootersHillGaru, views please.