Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Burton the visitors to the Valley this afternoon looked to avenge the reverse fixture earlier this season, which saw the Addicks take all three points after an early double sending off. Perhaps that accounts for the cagey start for both teams. Charlton found it difficult to get the ball down and play a passing game. But looked bright on the counterattack, with Washington marking runs in behind. Charlton got off the mark after MacGillveray pinged the ball quickly out to find Washington running at the full back. He took possession and lobbed the keeper—who came, stopped, and then came again and found himself in no-man’s-land— expertly. Burton really didn’t get back into it. 

The second goal came from a bit of bright play from CBT, who cut inside and surprised everyone when he tucked the ball into the back of the net, through a gaggle of players.

It was on the fifty minute mark that we saw any passage of passing football from either side. And it was the Addicks that found space to probe. We had a few chances from then on to extend the lead, but we couldn’t. Burton had a few counter attacks, but Lavelle, Purrington, Clare, with Dobbo in front, held fast and Burton failed to have a shot on target. A clean sheet capped off a decent performance, even if the match wasn’t much of a spectacle for the beautiful game. Still, back-to-back wins is encouraging.

Charlton 2 Burton 0
Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Burton. Gone for a Burton.

For all their possession, never had a shot on target did they?

• Options
    At this stage, doesn't matter how we do it. Get to 51 points or whatever. Jacko needs to start the clear out...
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Back to back wins. Which puts any relegation worry to bed. 8 games left and 6 of the teams are below us in the table. No reason why we should not be looking to finish the season in top half. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Burton had a few counter attacks, but Lavelle, Purrington, Clare, with Dobbo in front, held fast and Burton failed to have a shot on target.
    Oggy Red said:

Shame on you Oggy, you’re telling on yourself .You’re not reading my infallible post-match analysis!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Burton had a few counter attacks, but Lavelle, Purrington, Clare, with Dobbo in front, held fast and Burton failed to have a shot on target.
    Oggy Red said:

Shame on you Oggy, you’re telling on yourself .You’re not reading my infallible post-match analysis!
    Sorry, LoOkie ..... I tried to post on the Match Thread, but you closed it as I tried doing so ......  and so I copied and pasted to your sparkling new Post Match Thread.

Only then did I read your opening epistle. :smile:

• Options
    Been away for a few days enjoying the early spring sunshine. 

Just got in and never seen so few comments on the match thread or on this one 30 minutes after full time.

Is everyone out enjoying the sun or was today so nondescript everyone had just given up and can't wait for the season to end? 
  • Options
    Defended well in the 2nd half. Iets go for 9 points from 3 assuming its just a niggle for Corey Blackett Taylor and he’ll be back.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Oggy Red said:

Sorry, LoOkie ..... I tried to post on the Match Thread, but you closed it as I tried doing so ......  and so I copied and pasted to your sparkling new Post Match Thread.

I’ll let you off this time  :D
  • Options
    Cue the photos of TS playing guitar down the Royal Oak
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Oggy Red said:

I’ll let you off this time  :D
    Thanks, Boss. You're a pleasure to work for. :smile:

• Options
    First things first the ref .. overall done very well but made one big error that could have had a major impact on the result .. in the 8th min she allowed a two footed challenge to get away as a yellow it was a clear red .. 
    Burton made it very difficult for us today crowded mid which stopped Gilbey and Fraser space and time so we had to work really hard for these 3 points today .
    Fantastic ball from McG fir the first goal well taken by Washington although the keeper on both goals will be asked questions and the first real run by CBT and second goal .
    Apart from hitting the bar that was Burton only effort on target in 95 mins there only danger cane from long throws which defensively we dealt with very well with MOM Laville having another string game at the back . 
    A win a win may not be has a good performance as Tuesday but it’s another 3 points and another clean sheet … only black spot another injury to CBT .

• Options
    Next season, unless we get a first XI which are, on the whole, head and shoulders above other teams in this league in terms of talent, I see no way this coaching set up get us into the championship.

That’s generally how teams get promoted. If you’ve got an average side over performing due to good coaching they’re eventually going to be found out. I want us to put together a squad featuring players who can progress with the club and do well in the Championship, not a team of ordinary players who can battle their way up purely through hard work and organisation.

Also need to be realistic on how quickly a team can improve - we’ve gone through a poor run in which we had no senior strikers and missing CBT, our main attacking threats. You don’t go from losing every week and players lacking any confidence to dominating possession and playing exciting attacking football. If we go on a decent run now then it’ll be partly due to good management and coaching because we’ve seen this group of players can quite easily struggle at this level.
  • Options
    Feel a bit frustrated despite the three points.  

OK it's League one, but they're still professional footballers ffs.  The amount of unforced errors and misplaced passes is through the roof. The game as a spectacle - zero rated. 

Gilbey flatters to deceive.  I just want him to impose himself on the game.  Come on Alex get the ball, give and go, move into space, make yourself available, threadle through that killer pass!  What about you Fraser ... anyone???    
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Another clean sheet win, had the feel of December home wins , when it was all fairly comfortable at the Valley., 75% of our wins this season have come at home!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I don’t mean to be negative after a win, BUT, going forward to next season I really don’t see how that formation and type of footballl makes us a serious bet for a promotion push. All I’m hoping for is that there is a plan in place that personnel coming in are better than we have and are more suited to making the formation a lot more dynamic and able to actually play through midfield and wide areas, rather than diverting that part of the pitch when we go forward. Everything we do is completely off the cuff. Well done on the win today but that was as boring as fuck, and not because we were good and in control. So much has to be better next season and I’m not convinced enough change will be made.
    Very good assessment. That was as boring as F@ck. Gilbey and Fraser anonymous while Dobson does their work. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A pretty atrocious first half, with Charlton unable to put more than 2 or 3 passes together. The ball was treated as a hot potato and our one tactic was to try to release Washington in behind with the early long ball. I worked perfectly for the first goal - with an excellent assist from MacGillivray - but I lost count of the times that we unnecessarily conceded possession. Fortunately for us, Blackett-Taylor produced a bit of inspiration before half-time, giving us a totally undeserved 2-0 lead at the break.

We were better in the second half - we could hardly have been worse - although we understandably lost something when Blackett-Taylor went off. DJ has some good attributes but crossing and the final ball isn’t one of them. We dropped deeper as the game wore on and largely ended up playing a 5-3-2 and looking to spring them on the break. That said, Burton didn’t manage any shots on target and, content to rely upon their ineptitude, we saw the game out reasonably comfortably.

Defensively, I thought that Lavelle was very solid. Clare made a couple of good interceptions but his distribution was diabolical.

Dobson misplaced a number of passes like the rest of the team in the first half but more than made up for it with several trademark interceptions to get us out of trouble. In contrast, Gilbey and Fraser were fairly quiet and we never controlled the midfield area.

Up top, Washington played very well, although I thought that Stockley was poor, albeit he made his usual fine contribution defensively.

A mediocre game but two clean sheets and 6 points in a week are not to be sneezed at, given some of the rubbish served up in previous games. Let’s just hope that, now any residual relegation concerns have been banished, we can relax and turn in a couple of genuinely entertaining performances.

You do know we scored 2 goals in the first half? Fucking hell what more you want