Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Comments

• The Dobson song is rubbish
  • Burton reminded me of us playing away. 
  • edited March 2022
    One thing I would do if I was Jacko is keep tabs on Niasse. He could be a good squad addition. I assume he is on a contract to the end of the season of course.
  • It was another scrappy game and we didn't play great, but the result never looked in doubt after we scored - great assist by Big Mac, terrible positioning by their goalie! We never really got our passing game going, but still battled well and I thought it was a well deserved, comfortable win. Now we have key players back from injury I think we will pick up several more wins and end the season strongly. New contracts for Dobson and Washington as soon as possible please! Both are absolutely key to the team, to the extent that winning with either of them missing looks unlikely.
  • seth plum said:
    Weirdly I thought the football was crap yet I wasn’t bored yesterday.
    Things to remember from the game for me were the Burton ‘high line’ when they had set pieces, the first woman referee, the clothed streaker, Washington’s goal, the way the defence who couldn’t catch Conor to celebrate mobbed MacGillavray, the way the whole crowd cheered when we first got the ball to CBT after half an hour, and the goal he scored prompted initially by his great cross field pass. The steward applauding the crowd after the chase and the crowd applauded him, the group of international flags in the covered end (why?). Burton, being even worse than Gillingham, laying siege in the second half which was a bit like them constructing a protective blanket on our goal…as I say, weird.
    However there are things from yesterday that will live longer in the memory than plenty of other forgettable recent games.
    The three points don’t need to be remembered, just banked.

International Addicks attended yesterday.
    A prequel to the International Addicks day against Lincoln (which I will be attending).
    Hope you gave them a wave 😁
    Ah.
    It would’ve been good to know that yesterday, it passed me by.
    I did notice also the little mascot carrying the Irish bratash hard on the heels of Saint Patrick’s Day.
  • Oggy Red said:
    lonman said:
     I love CBT gets the ball looks like he's going to make something happen, which he did yesterday. Unbelievable this guy couldn't get a contract at Tranmere.

CBT told the SLP back in August having just signed for Charlton:

“A lot of things happened towards the end of last season – not getting promoted [from League Two], losing out in the play-offs, and a change of manager,” explained Blackett-Taylor. “So there were a lot of things to think about.

“I enjoyed my two years at Tranmere and I got comfortable where I was. But when you kind of have the possibility to move on to a higher division, and play for a big club like Charlton, it’s something you’ve got to think about.”

To me it sounds like it was his decision to leave Tranmere.

Would be surprised if it was Tranmere's decision to let him go.

Wigan seemed to be interested in the summer, yet seem to remember them not liking the compensation required for him - Tranmere need to have offered a deal for that to be applicable, same with when we lost Fosu.

Cant see it having been a token offer either, just to ensure compensation.

Not with the player going in the opposite direction to the club, unlike us with Tariqe
    The fact CBT was signed initially on a 4/5 month deal, would suggest that he didn’t come with a transfer fee
  • cabbles said:
    I suppose a big positive is keeping a clean sheet for 3 games in a row at home 
    A definite positive, although I think it's more about the inadequacies of Sunderland (missed @4 good chances), Gillingham (1) & Burton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    The Dobson song is rubbish
    The Washington one is worse
  • edited March 2022
    AndyG said:
    cabbles said:
    I suppose a big positive is keeping a clean sheet for 3 games in a row at home 
    A definite positive, although I think it's more about the inadequacies of Sunderland (missed @4 good chances), Gillingham (1) & Burton.
    Why do we seem to shoot ourselves in the foot every time a "positive" rears it's head, WE have kept 3 clean sheets, sod the potential "inadequacies" of whoever we were playing at the time.
    Bloody hell, positives have been very few and far between this season, so grab them when they come along eh.. :)
    Mate nobody is ignoring the fact that we have won 2 games on the trot and had 3 clean sheets. I think the issue alot of people are concerned about is that the quality of the performance is dire. If the club in anyway start to think these performances are acceptable then they are accepting becoming a mid table league one club.
    Yes 2 wins and 3 clean sheets ! 
    Accept we are shit and just carry on.

Why are we investing so much into midfield players when the plan seems to be to play without them being involved.
    I will say this again. There are not many players in our starting lineup yesterday ( or the previous games ) that the majority of other teams in this league wouldnt take in a heartbeat but they are putting in inept, boring performances that just doesnt add up.
    Ok, but my post was about the here and now, and in no way am i accepting the performances over the season as a whole were anything short of dire, and the management and training regime needs a thorough going over prior to next season, or yes we will be repeating all this next year.
    The 2 wins and 3 clean sheet thing is a positive when taken in context against recent results, and that was what i was alluding to, we have shown some semblance of improvement, agreed a very small offering but, this season is a write off, and for what it is worth, i totally agree with your last paragraph..something is just not right within the club, and the players are not performing to the sum of their parts..
  • ross1 said:
    We have a habit of giving "funny! information about players and injuries so this probably means he's out!
  • We have shown some improvement which I am relieved about.
    But this is mainly because Washington & Stockley are back.
    Secondly, because we're not playing top teams, apart from Sunderland, who really should have been 3 up in the first 30 mins.
  • Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    What is the third line to the Washington song?
  • Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    He's electric 
    He plays for Charlton Athletic 
    We think he's fcking majestic
    Connor Washington 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    He's electric 
    Connor Washington 
    Oh dear..
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    He's electric 
    Connor Washington 
    Oh dear..
    Well it's slightly more accurate than "the white Pele" 😂😂
  • PWR but Burton loved a long throw in. However, pretty much every one of them was aimed at the edge of the area or penalty spot, corners too. Never into the 6yrd box. Thought it was very strange given our apparent frailties in that area, and we dealt with everything pretty well tbf.
  • edited March 2022
    Anyone notice that with CBT's goal, the assist was given to Clare.

What was Clare doing lurking just outside the box?
    No doubt per instructions, Matthews was sat back covering, as Clare got forward.

That seems to be part of Jacko's 'master plan' :wink: for 2 options interchangeable attacking on the right flank - Matthews with his long throw and useful crossing, but also sitting back on occasion to enable Clare with his pace and strong running to get forward overlapping from CB.

• YTS1978 said:
    PWR but Burton loved a long throw in. However, pretty much every one of them was aimed at the edge of the area or penalty spot, corners too. Never into the 6yrd box. Thought it was very strange given our apparent frailties in that area, and we dealt with everything pretty well tbf.
    The first one they threw into our 6yd box and we scored from it
  • Leuth said:
    YTS1978 said:
    PWR but Burton loved a long throw in. However, pretty much every one of them was aimed at the edge of the area or penalty spot, corners too. Never into the 6yrd box. Thought it was very strange given our apparent frailties in that area, and we dealt with everything pretty well tbf.
    The first one they threw into our 6yd box and we scored from it
    Haha...I've just watched the highlights and that's right! They were obviously wary of Big Macs spot on distribution after that so decided to change tactics 😀
  • Oggy Red said:
     Connors goal was a weird one. You’ll only see that once in a blue moon in any type of football. Credit to Mac for seeing it though. 
    Just watched the highlights again ........ Connor's goal, he's sprinted almost box to box. You say credit to Mac for seeing it though - but first, watch Washington's position defending the long throw, just outside our own box marking the Burton player.

As Mac caught the ball, Washington turned and sprinted from just outside OUR box. He was still midway in our own half (extreme left bottom of the picture 0.11) when Mac launched the ball which first bounced midway in the Burton half, into the space way ahead of Washington's run. Just quick thinking or something pre-meditated? IMO this was something planned in doing if the opportunity arose.

Washington has already scored a goal direct from a Mac long kick this season (Morecambe away, was it?). 
    And probably there have been other attempts to do the same, that haven't worked out.

Anyway, to my way of thinking, this isn't just pure chance, weird, etc ..... but part of the gameplan if the opportunity arises.

I agree that Mac and Connor along with the coaches must have looked at this but frankly you need a lot more in the locker than an opportunistic punt up field. If that’s where we’re spending coaching sessions then god help us. 
  • Chunes said:
    There was a throw-in just in front of me in the East stand which was about level with Burton's penalty spot. Decent attacking opportunity. We threw it backwards towards Dobson, who turned back towards our goal, and one pass later the ball was back with our goalkeeper. It's infuriating. 
    I was bellowing at the tv at that point. Mentioned it on the match thread too. 
    CBT had actually done well to win the throw in such an advanced position, but then we did that - what was the point? 
    Trouble is, we do it over and over again. And have done for a while now.
  • Chunes said:
    There was a throw-in just in front of me in the East stand which was about level with Burton's penalty spot. Decent attacking opportunity. We threw it backwards towards Dobson, who turned back towards our goal, and one pass later the ball was back with our goalkeeper. It's infuriating. 
    We've been doing it for as long as I can remember.
    The opposition (often) get a free kick anywhere near the half way line & send most of the players forward & launch the ball into the box, causing us problems.

If we get a free kick in the same position we knock the ball sideways and backwards & rarely make an opportunity.