Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Comments

• From my point of view a good 3 points, but for the freebie’s or a fiver a game neutral  they would have been bored to tears.

Thought Lavelle was excellent today but Clare was having a nightmare particularly with his passing.

Washington was always a willing runner and took his goal well even if the keeper did go awol.

Onwards and upwards.

• Felt we bossed the game. They'll always have the odd chance but thought we looked solid. Issue is the away form! 
    Washingtons goal is a cracker and CBT got the goal he deserved Tuesday..hope he isn't out for long! 
    Good, solid performance. At this point we need to win..dont care how we do it.
  • We won. Rather ordinarily but that was enough against yet another poor league one side. We lacked fluidity but good finish from a good pass set us on the way. Top half is possible. In league one.
  • Chunes said:
    Enjoyed the day..the football was so bad. Someone tell me this midfield is good enough. Burton's midfield played them off the park. The worst part of that statement is, Burton were awful. And yet they still absolutely dominated the middle of the park. 
    Every midfield seemingly plays us off the park, even League 2’s Hartlepool’s and national leagues Gateshead. But that’s mainly because we always seem to bypass the midfield as we have no clue how to bring the ball out the back, unless it’s from a quick counter attack. 
  • Wasn't there & by the sounds of it I didn't miss much. What I can say is that we aren't getting into the play offs nor are we getting relegated. Finishing any higher than 12 is nigh on impossible  so this has become another wasted season. With Ipswich drawing today it also makes a trip to Portman Rd on the last day almost immaterial too. 

Roll on July & a trip to Welling for the obligatory pre season opener. By then I hope that we have seen some moves in the transfer market to give us something to shout about next season. Alfie May anyone ?
  • They pushed so many up that the ball behind them always looked on and I think looking for it all the time affected us a bit but indeed we did score from it and last ditch tackles and professioal fouls stopped us doing it more. Not a great watch but not a nervy one either.
  • We aren’t very good. Burton are worse. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 points just about absolves the horrible football but only just. Is this dull hoofball a tactic or just panic? What's the point in having midfielders? Also why persist in throw-ins down the line to Stockley when he always has two men on him?
  • That moment at the end of the first half when Stockley had CBT out wide for an easy pass to put him in and managed to shovel it forward for the keeper to collect summed that game up. 
  • edited March 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Burton had a few counter attacks, but Lavelle, Purrington, Clare, with Dobbo in front, held fast and Burton failed to have a shot on target.
    Oggy Red said:
    Burton. Gone for a Burton.

For all their possession, never had a shot on target did they?

Shame on you Oggy, you’re telling on yourself .You’re not reading my infallible post-match analysis!
    Sorry, LoOkie ..... I tried to post on the Match Thread, but you closed it as I tried doing so ......  and so I copied and pasted to your sparkling new Post Match Thread.

Only then did I read your opening epistle. :smile:

I’ll let you off this time  :D
    Thanks, Boss. You're a pleasure to work for. :smile:

Oh get a room you two....  :s
  • Really like the look of Fraser. A cultured footballer with effort. Amazed Ipswich let him go.  Keep Fraser, Dobbo, Stockley, Washington, Aneke, CBT, JFC and Lavelle and keep them fit and we have a nucleus.
    Win is a win albeit not.much of a watch. Safe now. Focus to next season and hitting it running.
  • Very sad but can only agree with what alot are saying. Changes are needed throughout otherwise we are destined to be mid table league one for a while. 
    This present coaching set up would struggle to get the current Liverpool squad into automatic promotion in this League
  • Oggy Red said:

Attendance: 11,348

Is that our lowest ever 'Football for a Fiver' crowd?

Gotta be honest it looks a fair bit bigger than that from where I was sitting 
  • Dobson = superb
    Washington = superb

The rest of them = meh

terrible game, we won

still don’t see what Fraser brings to the team at the moment, he’s anonymous most of the time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Really like the look of Fraser. A cultured footballer with effort. Amazed Ipswich let him go.  Keep Fraser, Dobbo, Stockley, Washington, Aneke, CBT, JFC and Lavelle and keep them fit and we have a nucleus.
    Win is a win albeit not.much of a watch. Safe now. Focus to next season and hitting it running.
    I must have missed Fraser’s excellence .  2 good passes maybe , but nothing much else . I am sure he’s got more in the locker and I am not judging him on one display but I wasn’t bowled over .  
  • noticed after the final whistle JFH went over put an arm over Dobo’s shoulder and had a chat, think he played for him last season - nice touch
    Dont think Dobson has ever played under JFH

Sean Clare did, last season on loan with Burton Albion
  • Been away for a few days enjoying the early spring sunshine. 

Just got in and never seen so few comments on the match thread or on this one 30 minutes after full time.

Is everyone out enjoying the sun or was today so nondescript everyone had just given up and can't wait for the season to end? 
    It's because we won and there's not much to moan about from today's game.
    We'd be on page 6 at least, if we'd lost.
  • Take the win, but christ that was a poor game of football. Two mid table league one sides with nothing to play for.
  • noticed after the final whistle JFH went over put an arm over Dobo’s shoulder and had a chat, think he played for him last season - nice touch
    Dont think Dobson has ever played under JFH

Sean Clare did, last season on loan with Burton Albion
    Correct. Fraser was the other ex Burton player.
  • I’m puzzled as to what some CL members expect - this is Division 3 - we have not been great since Christmas - but we have knuckled down and got back to back wins, after a shocking run of matches / performances 

Given the division we are in - if you are going to matches expecting a glorious display of the beautiful game - dream on - go and watch a London Premier League side

It’s a cruddy standard of football - Burton were shite, and 90% of teams in this league are the same - sadly we are in that 90% at present

But we won - we were the better team - we tried to play the way we want Charlton to play - but it’s fucking difficult in this division to do that

And those calling out Fraser - seriously !!!

He is a quality footballer, but having to play in this shit division - in the Championship, he will shine more than he does at the moment 

Big call out - again - George Dobson - superb

And Conor - wow - what a finish - if that was a Premier League goal, Sky would be wetting themselves over that 

One concern - has Jayden forgotten how to jump for a header ???
    I don’t think anyone is expecting premier league football, however it’s not just today thats disappointing in the way we are playing, it’s the season as a whole, but for a few games as caretaker we have been toilet. I think what people were expecting was to not be talking about two scrappy back to back wins to get us out of a poor run. It’s absolutely clear what we’ve got in front of us and it’s not been good enough all season. These results couldn’t paper over a gorge let alone a crack!!.
  • Thought 2nd half we were a lot more fluid than the first. We'd ridden the very high press, capitalised on our couple of chances and started to play some decent stuff. We were pretty wasteful in the end, with Stockley, Washington and especially DJ wasting good opportunities. But we looked a threat, and restricted them to 0 shots on target, including a striker who was bought for £16m not that long ago. 

We can't change the fact that this has been a crap season, but we can enjoy the fact we outplayed an opposition and made them look crap, plus we did our first double this season.

Burton may not be great, but they've won 13 games this season... and despite their very aggressive approach they never looked like winning this one. Was personally a lot more optimistic after this one than Tuesday, and certainly more than any other games in 2022. 

Hopefully we'll see the return of JFC and a push to the top half to generate some momentum. I'd look to bring in a couple of the young CBs, Deji or Ness, as a test for next year, see whether Clare or Purrington can play in the roles they should be playing next year. 

Happy Saturday evening!!