Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Comments

• I wan't so concerened because I think confidence took a hit and needs to rebuild. I suspect if we can keep these players fit, we will see performances improve.
    Very similar to me. It’s clear what we are trying to do. Try not to give silly goals away and look to get the ball forward to Washington and Stockley to get us up the pitch. Do think passing and confidence will return if we start to continue winning matches.

Personally, would settle for keeping clean sheets for remained of the season. As a huge believer that it’s your defence and not strikers who win league titles.
  • What it looks like, is we have put a greater emphasis on defending as a team. That is understandable given the silly goals we have been letting in of late. Of course having Stockley back helps a great deal and a busy forward like Washington provides a threat that wasn't there with Burstow or Leko.

I think one of the issues is we really miss Iniss in both boxes and that is something that needs addressing for next season.
  • I’m puzzled as to what some CL members expect - this is Division 3 - we have not been great since Christmas - but we have knuckled down and got back to back wins, after a shocking run of matches / performances 
    Some CL people refer to it incorrectly as Division One, so I guess that's what they are expecting.
  • RoanRedNY said:
    shine166 said:

Advert could have been made more professional looking.  This is shoddy.
    If only there was some kind of frame for an advert to be put into.

Didn’t Chuck Berry get into trouble for having security cameras “for your personal safety and security” in the bogs at his restaurant??  I would suggest the club are bang to rights admitting the fact on the door……….
    This is for a new award for poty: the highest piss up the wall trophy. 
  • I thought Clare had an awful game.
    Will have got his place for his assist. Probably find most of the defensive players in that team scored or created a goal.
  • I wan't so concerened because I think confidence took a hit and needs to rebuild. I suspect if we can keep these players fit, we will see performances improve.
    Very similar to me. It’s clear what we are trying to do. Try not to give silly goals away and look to get the ball forward to Washington and Stockley to get us up the pitch. Do think passing and confidence will return if we start to continue winning matches.

Personally, would settle for keeping clean sheets for remained of the season. As a huge believer that it’s your defence and not strikers who win league titles.
    "Goals win games, clean sheets win championships"
  • Scoham said:
    I thought Clare had an awful game.
    Will have got his place for his assist. Probably find most of the defensive players in that team scored or created a goal.
    Well on that basis, Mac should have got the keepers spot rather than Peacock-Farrell, both had clean sheets, but we won and Mac had an assist in Washington's goal,..
  • Is that the threshold for suspesions after too many bookings passed now?
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be absolutely wonderful if we could break into League One’s top 12. Imagine the scenes if that were to happen.
    I thought we could get top 12 at the start of the season - will be great if we can do it.

• Scoham said:
    I thought Clare had an awful game.
    Well on that basis, Mac should have got the keepers spot rather than Peacock-Farrell, both had clean sheets, but we won and Mac had an assist in Washington's goal,..
    Mac didn't actually have to make a save though!! 

Clare did well defensively, it was his passing that was abysmal. As I may have mentioned, though, it was Lavelle's match and he should be in this team. 
  • Well,that was shit,if anyone starts a thread for the worst game ever seen at the Valley,that has got to be a contender.The only saving grace,was in the east stand,the sun was so bright you could hardly see the game.
    I paid  a rare visit to the fans bar afterwards,as it was the wifes 76 th birthday and we met a couple of old friends there,4 pints of weak lager,2 cokes ,£26.00,I almost had a throbber,I normally pay 3.20 a pint at my local ciu club.Still,Thomas made an appearance and very kindly posed with the wife for a birthday photo,and later sent her a happy birthday message.
    Think I am a bit out of touch on prices,called in at the local chippy on the way home for the first time in ages,£7.00 for a small cod,plus chips,shop was almost empty,wonder why.
    Not disputing your assessment of this game but I wish we were this shit winning 2-0 in the seventies instead of losing 0-5 at half time with it just as bad and more goals against in the second half playing the mighty Luton Town.  At your age I'm sure you would have witnessed countless inept shit games from CAFC.      

Hope your wife enjoyed her Birthday. 
    More than I care to remember,there has been some real dross over my 60 odd years coming here,but I suppose memories fade and the more recent events are the clearest.Certainly I recall many appalling performances,but this one stuck out for the sheer inability of both sides to actually trap a ball without it bouncing halfway up their bodies,and I just do not recall a move of more than 3 passes,still as you say we won.Cheers for the birthday message,she certainly did.
    Fair enough saying he didn’t have a stand out performance, but awful and Clare are two words that don’t belong together. Tidy player and one of the few positives from a shit show of a season 
  • It would be absolutely wonderful if we could break into League One’s top 12. Imagine the scenes if that were to happen.
    I thought we could get top 12 at the start of the season - will be great if we can do it.
    I had a small bet earlier in the season, but never really thought we had much of a chance.
    Perhaps, after this great run of two straight wins, it's just possible we might make it. It's just a shame Netflix aren't there to witness it.
    Fair enough saying he didn’t have a stand out performance, but awful and Clare are two words that don’t belong together. Tidy player and one of the few positives from a shit show of a season 
    I would say it was not his usual level but his touch was as bad as I have seen it.
  • MattF said:

Blind Pugh must have picked this team,Clare could not pass the ball to save his life,and Blacket Taylor did not touch the ball(not his fault) for the first 20 minutes.
  • MattF said:

Surprising we have 2 players in that team considering Shrewsbury won 3-0 at Rotherham and Plymouth beat Accrington 4-0, and they get only one player each!
  • They were at the Wigan game obviously.
    Just because he's been one of the better performers this season doesn't make him exempt form criticism. He's been awful on a couple of occasions this season, but he is well in credit.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:

Clare? Jesus, he was woeful first half
  • JamesSeed said:
    That’s two games in a row the CB-T has demonstrated the benefits of shooting on sight. Neither shot was that well struck but they resulted in two goals. 
    What?  Washington's shot was perfectly struck, I thought.
  • MattF said:

Clare there is a joke.  Pretty much every time he got the ball, he gave it away.
  • I like Clare but definitely feel he’s come off the level he was at over the last few games
  • I believe the cut off point is 37 games for suspension for 10 bookings.
  • JamesSeed said:
    That’s two games in a row the CB-T has demonstrated the benefits of shooting on sight. Neither shot was that well struck but they resulted in two goals. 
    He was referring to our goal against Gillingham as James Seed said "that's two games in a row." 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Sorry, I meant CB-T’s shots. His shot against Gillingham where we scored from the rebound, and his shot v. Burton. 
  • edited March 2022
    To be fair to Clare, a massive groan went up when he hit that firm pass quite early on that ended half way up the west stand lower, but it looked from where I was sitting that the ball bobbled. Take that mis-hit out of the equation, and he didn’t have such a bad game, making a couple of good challenges and blocks. 

One of the problems defenders have is that when they’re looking for someone to pass to, there’s not a lot of showing for the ball from our midfielders. Teams who know what they’re doing form little triangles, whereas our midfielders mainly just return the ball from whence it came. Gotta think one move ahead, and we don’t do that. 
  • This is even worse