Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Comments

• Options
    A very poor spectacle all round and I don't accept the this is league 1 what do you expect argument. I found the recent 0-0 with Sunderland far more entertaining for example and we have proven that we can play far better than this during JJ's caretaker spell.

Onto the more positive aspects:

Classy finish by Washy and it was great to see us again execute the tactic of getting him in over the top to such great effect.

More minutes for Fraser. Still well below what we know he can do but I expect him to play his way back into form and hit the ground running next season.

A 3rd clean sheet in 4.

Lavelle starting to look like that marshall in the centre of the back 3.
  • Options
    Thought yesterday was great and confirms that we have some players worth keeping; Lavelle, Washington Foster Dobson, Clare ,. Could not understand why cbt wasn’t used more. Thought the effort shown was great but the passing was poor. Defensively much improved 
  • Options

Sorry but I thought that was dreadful despite the excellent result that flattered us. 

Three points very welcome and a  relief to move clear of relegation to League 2 but If that was a sign of building for next season,  God help us all. 

What exactly was our system or game plan? Could someone with a coaching qualification please explain it to me? Hoof it up to Washy? I have seen more cohesion and subtlety from a Sunday pub team playing with a hang-over from the night before. 

There were even some decent individual performances (Dobson, Clare, Washington, Lavelle) which makes the cumulative effect even worse.

The team set up as a whole was disjointed and dysfunctional and has been for about ten consecutive games.  The only way CBT gets forward is to dribble there on his own. I don't think there was one pass from one midfield player to another midfield player throughout the whole of the first half. What was the hell was the point of signing Fraser? We completely by-pass him and offer him no options or protection when he does get the ball. We rarely cross to Stockley ( I remember one from Fraser, before he came off). We must be the only team in England to play with wing-backs and never have any width.

Good to win but the wins will be few and far between if we keep playing dross like that. Utter rubbish from start to finish. To say it's mid - lower League 1 standard is an insult to those teams around us that at least try to play some proper football.
    There much in here I agree with. Watching CBT hugging the touchline and not receiving the ball for about the first 35 minutes is a real indictment of the system. And when a long ball/long throw team like Burton actually outplays you when the ball is on the ground, then you clearly have a problem. 
    However, they didn’t have a shot on target, so defensively at least we were pretty sound. 
  • Options
    A pretty terrible game for a neutral, but at least we didn’t have to endure the sort of rubbish that was on show at Accrington last week.

Atmosphere was very weird as well. Rarely does Football For A Fiver bring a good atmosphere, but something yesterday felt very flat. It was as if half the crowd had just got out of bed a few minutes before kick off or something.
  • Options

Advert could have been made more professional looking.  This is shoddy.
  • Options
    I can see us having a good run til end of season that will then lead to thoughts of “ we’re very nearly good enough, just 1 or 2 additions etc “
    when in reality we’re not very good and need a big shake up, 
    Nice to win😁 roll on summer and rebuild 
  • Options
    good battling performance against a side who lacked anything other than very basic tactics .. perhaps they'd be better if their manager spent less time as a telly talking head and more on the (Burton) training field
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully that's the rot stopped now. It's shows how poor this league is that, even with such a poor run of results, we were never really in danger of going down.

We might even finish with a flourish and creep in to the top half. That would be just papering over the cracks though and once again we find ourselves facing another summer of player, and maybe management, churn. 

Cannot wait for this season to be over tbh. It's been like wearing a pair of shoes 2 sizes too small and I can't wait to get home and  slip into the comfy slippers of CL summer threads about transfer rumours and who are our biggest rivals once again. 
  • Options
    Ropey first half, couldn't string 2 passes together. We definitely had some luck going in 2 up. Burton had plenty of possession in our final 1/3 but clearly lacked a cutting edge a bit like watching Charlton.

Stockley, slow and pedestrian don't see what all the fuss is with him. Washington was great today. I love CBT gets the ball looks like he's going to make something happen, which he did yesterday. Unbelievable this guy couldn't get a contract at Tranmere.

• Options
    Thought we played okay tbh. Certainly won't be smashing the league next year based on that but jt was solid and we were clinical. Burton might have 13 shots on goal but there best effort was a long range effort by Deji which hit the bar, we Defended well enough to restrict them to no clear chances. Game bypassed gilbey and fraser but they're was no lack of effort on there part. 

Thought the ref was the best yet though I thought there player should have been sent off for a 2 footed lunge on dobson.
  • Options
    was hoping we might see a bit of 'champagne football' in the second half and had we got a third we may have done i guess so you could say that the last 2 games were grind out, defence first, win at all costs or you could say we just aren't good enough to dominate these lower table teams - not sure tbh but i do know we need a very good summer in the transfer market to give jj a chance to properly prove himself or not - i hope he gets that chance and does it but the jury is definitely out atm
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Attendance: 11,348

Is that our lowest ever 'Football for a Fiver' crowd?

Was there any "football"? whatever the competition was at least we won.
    Top marks for referee, and the "freaker" who entertained, (ps I do not condone this behaviour but...at least it made the fiver worthwhile)
  • Options
     Connors goal was a weird one. You’ll only see that once in a blue moon in any type of football. Credit to Mac for seeing it though. 
    Just watched the highlights again ........ Connor's goal, he's sprinted almost box to box. You say credit to Mac for seeing it though - but first, watch Washington's position defending the long throw, just outside our own box marking the Burton player.

As Mac caught the ball, Washington turned and sprinted from just outside OUR box. He was still midway in our own half (extreme left bottom of the picture 0.11) when Mac launched the ball which first bounced midway in the Burton half, into the space way ahead of Washington's run. Just quick thinking or something pre-meditated? IMO this was something planned in doing if the opportunity arose.

Washington has already scored a goal direct from a Mac long kick this season (Morecambe away, was it?). 
    And probably there have been other attempts to do the same, that haven't worked out.

Anyway, to my way of thinking, this isn't just pure chance, weird, etc ..... but part of the gameplan if the opportunity arises.

• Options
    …and Burton provided that opportunity every set piece.
    What would’ve happened if we left a player up on the centre spot?
    I think they were gambling on that method working and prepared to do a game stopping arm tug type of foul in our half if it didn’t.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    seth plum said:
    Weirdly I thought the football was crap yet I wasn’t bored yesterday.
    Things to remember from the game for me were the Burton ‘high line’ when they had set pieces, the first woman referee, the clothed streaker, Washington’s goal, the way the defence who couldn’t catch Conor to celebrate mobbed MacGillavray, the way the whole crowd cheered when we first got the ball to CBT after half an hour, and the goal he scored prompted initially by his great cross field pass. The steward applauding the crowd after the chase and the crowd applauded him, the group of international flags in the covered end (why?). Burton, being even worse than Gillingham, laying siege in the second half which was a bit like them constructing a protective blanket on our goal…as I say, weird.
    However there are things from yesterday that will live longer in the memory than plenty of other forgettable recent games.
    The three points don’t need to be remembered, just banked.

International Addicks attended yesterday.
    A prequel to the International Addicks day against Lincoln (which I will be attending).
    Hope you gave them a wave 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What the game and possibly 4 more points if you want to be totally sure gives Jacko is the chance to play about and test a few things to inform him next season.  Of course we want to end the season positively too but if we use this time well it is useful to set us up for what will be an important season for us.
  • Options
    lonman said:
     I love CBT gets the ball looks like he's going to make something happen, which he did yesterday. Unbelievable this guy couldn't get a contract at Tranmere.

CBT told the SLP back in August having just signed for Charlton:

“A lot of things happened towards the end of last season – not getting promoted [from League Two], losing out in the play-offs, and a change of manager,” explained Blackett-Taylor. “So there were a lot of things to think about.

“I enjoyed my two years at Tranmere and I got comfortable where I was. But when you kind of have the possibility to move on to a higher division, and play for a big club like Charlton, it’s something you’ve got to think about.”

To me it sounds like it was his decision to leave Tranmere.

• Options
    I suppose a big positive is keeping a clean sheet for 3 games in a row at home 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Connors goal was a weird one. You’ll only see that once in a blue moon in any type of football. Credit to Mac for seeing it though. 
    Just watched the highlights again ........ Connor's goal, he's sprinted almost box to box. You say credit to Mac for seeing it though - but first, watch Washington's position defending the long throw, just outside our own box marking the Burton player.

As Mac caught the ball, Washington turned and sprinted from just outside OUR box. He was still midway in our own half (extreme left bottom of the picture 0.11) when Mac launched the ball which first bounced midway in the Burton half, into the space way ahead of Washington's run. Just quick thinking or something pre-meditated? IMO this was something planned in doing if the opportunity arose.

Washington has already scored a goal direct from a Mac long kick this season (Morecambe away, was it?). 
    And probably there have been other attempts to do the same, that haven't worked out.

Anyway, to my way of thinking, this isn't just pure chance, weird, etc ..... but part of the gameplan if the opportunity arises.

I've just seen it back and great find. He was defending on the edge of our box and absolute legged it once we had defended the throw in. Their player tried to pull his shirt but being so far in our half at that time, probably didn't think it was worth taking one for the team!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I think Burton's tactics could have worked with Leko and Burstow up top, but they were dangerous (for them) given that wasn't the case. 
  • Options
    2-0 win clean sheet, whats not too like? Had Osilaja shot gone in and not clipped the bar we might of had a different game.
    Burton didn't offer much and we were just good enough to get the win.
    Lavelle and and Dobson were good McG had a moment of inspiration for the first goal.
    The rest OK, 
    Ref OK,...... sums the day up really, OK, not great.
  • Options
    Given they pushed everybody up for our first, you have to ask questions about the keeper's starting position. It isn't so much about the indecision, which can happen, but the fact that before MacG booted the ball out , he should have been well out of his area to become a sweeper.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    lonman said:
     I love CBT gets the ball looks like he's going to make something happen, which he did yesterday. Unbelievable this guy couldn't get a contract at Tranmere.

CBT told the SLP back in August having just signed for Charlton:

“A lot of things happened towards the end of last season – not getting promoted [from League Two], losing out in the play-offs, and a change of manager,” explained Blackett-Taylor. “So there were a lot of things to think about.

“I enjoyed my two years at Tranmere and I got comfortable where I was. But when you kind of have the possibility to move on to a higher division, and play for a big club like Charlton, it’s something you’ve got to think about.”

To me it sounds like it was his decision to leave Tranmere.

Would be surprised if it was Tranmere's decision to let him go.

Wigan seemed to be interested in the summer, yet seem to remember them not liking the compensation required for him - Tranmere need to have offered a deal for that to be applicable, same with when we lost Fosu.

Cant see it having been a token offer either, just to ensure compensation.

Not with the player going in the opposite direction to the club, unlike us with Tariqe
  • Options

Advert could have been made more professional looking.  This is shoddy.
    Ha ha, first rule of decorating: Masking tape is designed specifically to hold its own weight and nothing else!
  • Options
    The Washington/Stockley partnership continues, we're still yet to lose when these two start up front. https://southnorwoodaddick.com/2022/03/17/no-stockley-no-party/
    I've given this a like, partly because its a good article, partly because I like the blog, but mainly because I feel incredibly sorry for any Charlton fan living in South Norwood.