Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Rotherham United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 9th April 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    How can people want to see Jason Pearce not retained next season,I have not seen this game,but have no doubt he was instrumental in the score,as he always is when the shit is hitting the fan.of course he wont play 40 games,but when we have dodgy away games and need some inspiration,he is the man.
    Because  we have incredibly silly fans who like a scape goat or 4.
    A player isn't a scapegoat because some fans feel we need better. Pearce is 35 in December, hardly unreasonable to think it might be time to move him on.
    Pratt's age last year but many thought he should have been retained.  Also about the age that the 2 Italian CB’S were last summer when they helped beat England and stopped the likes of Harry Kane. 
    Fitness is what counts. 
    Who did retain the services of Darren Pratley...? Leyton Orient, 14th in League Two.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    How can people want to see Jason Pearce not retained next season,I have not seen this game,but have no doubt he was instrumental in the score,as he always is when the shit is hitting the fan.of course he wont play 40 games,but when we have dodgy away games and need some inspiration,he is the man.
    A player isn't a scapegoat because some fans feel we need better. Pearce is 35 in December, hardly unreasonable to think it might be time to move him on.
    Pratt's age last year but many thought he should have been retained.  Also about the age that the 2 Italian CB’S were last summer when they helped beat England and stopped the likes of Harry Kane. 
    Fitness is what counts. 
    Fitness, sharpness, ability to read the game and have your body respond as you slow down.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Fitness is what counts. 
    Yes it is, I agree.

Other players at that age aren’t good enough. Jackson’s decided that Watson at 36 isn’t. It’s nothing to do with fans having scapegoats.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Should have mentioned MacGillivray, who commanded his area well and came out to catch more than a few dangerous balls in. He’s a very good keeper when he’s not too rooted to his line.
    I reckon he reads Charlton Life. and realised he needed to change his game.

Ever since the criticism of him for his unwillingness to come for crosses reached a crescendo, he's actually started to come for crosses in the last 3 or 4 games. And today showed he's perfectly capable of coming and taking a cross.

I've been one of his biggest critics this season. But if he carries on playing like he has done today I will happily change my mind completely.
    Players are probably told not to take too much notice of social media and forums but i think if i was a player i'd absolutely be reading what the fans were saying about me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could those of you giving Gilbey 7s and 8(!!!) name just a few, even one or two good things he did in the whole game. Or else I feel as if I am in a parallel universe.(not unusual sadly)
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Could those of you giving Gilbey 7s and 8(!!!) name just a few, even one or two good things he did in the whole game. Or else I feel as if I am in a parallel universe.(not unusual sadly)
    One defensive header.... That was it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Pearce absolutely loved that today. Had a feeling he'd put in a performance. 
    Morgan (hasn't played for a bit) and Gilbey were pretty woeful, which meant Dobson must have played a blinder. And what a strike. I'm not all that surprised he hit it so sweetly, as he does have better technique than most of our team.
    CBT's final pass was poor today, but boy does he get into some good positions.
    MacGillivray was very solid and has clearly worked on coming out and catching the ball.
    Stockley again immense defensively, and Washington again worked hard but was let down by his touch. The opportunity when he was free was a case in point. Two poor touches allowed the defender to get back and block.
    Matthews decent again, and Clare I thought was excellent.
    A good effort today, well done boys. Keeping Rotherham to one shot on target was a real achievement.
    Really good summary. Saves me having to add anything! 
  • Options
    great win that puts a smile on all our faces, pride into the team and a big dent in Rotherham's promotion run .. come on Wigan !!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It just shows you how Football drives you mad and brings you back, if anyone predicted that result, fair play to you, quite simply a great performance and perhaps shows the inconsistency of our season, brilliant one minute and rubbish the next. 
  • Options
    Had it on in the background, from the bits I saw I thought we did a good job - was expecting a tonking. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    It just shows you how Football drives you mad and brings you back, if anyone predicted that result, fair play to you, quite simply a great performance and perhaps shows the inconsistency of our season, brilliant one minute and rubbish the next. 
     Only a true legend would have got the result and scoreline, but obviously wouldn't pick it on prediction thread as it'd feel cheating.

FFS. Though my other 1-0 came on last night so at least starting on 3pts.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    It must be out of 30.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I thought he was busy in midfield.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Absolute nonsense that MacGillivray changed his goalkeeping style because of criticism from JJ. He actually took note of what many of us on Charlton Life had been saying for months! 😂 
    Agree. He hasn’t commanded his area since he has been at the club, so not quite sure why Jackson is bringing it up now. All that said,  McG looked really assured today.