Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Rotherham United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 9th April 2022

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Very happy with the win yesterday (wish I was there), but it shouldn’t paper over the cracks. We will not win promotion next year with this squad. Full stop. 
    Rotherham were there for the taking yesterday; they’re on a bad run, looked nervous, and were tactically one dimensional.
    We had much more of the ball in midfield than normal, but it was so frustrating to see Gilbey and Morgan giving it away so often. With better passing we could have scored more. CBT was good again, but we need to see a bit more final product, although he did well to help set up Dobson’s superb goal. Compare his strike to Morgan’s shooting generally, or specifically his effort yesterday that ended up in Row Z. Need goals from midfield, and we’ll never get enough from Morgan and Gilbey. Might from JF-C if he comes back well from injury. 
    I’m a fan of Pearce, but if he was replaced by someone better I’d be ok with that. But I’d also be happy if he stuck around as second or third choice, because I think he’s a good influence behind the scenes. We need to bring in two first choice centre backs next season, and at least one proper wing back. And a first choice striker. 
    In midfield the jury is out on Fraser (I think he needs more game time), but sorry, Morgan and Gilbey are never going to improve enough if we’re to have promotion ambitions. Dobson is the only one in the ‘must keep’ category, unless you include CBT in the midfield category. 
    Err, how many minutes has Albie had on the pitch in the past couple of months, JS ? 

Not featured in the Under 23's as this clearly isn't the policy to keep squad members match fit etc, so purely been training at SL for a looong time. 

And you expect him to be as sharp as his regular midfield colleagues from the off ? 

It's as if our other midders have been scoring freely &, Dobbo apart, been setting the world alight ! 

Oh, and if you care to look more closely, I DO believe that our Albie played a significant role in Gorgeous George's goal yesterday....
    Agree that senior players need more match practice if not playing first team football, but overall Albie has had tons of opportunities, but has never really shone imho. It’s frustrating, because I’d love it if he made it with us. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Where was Fraser yesterday?
    He had a funeral to attend to……down in Wallmington.😃
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Where was Fraser yesterday?
    He had a funeral to attend to……down in Wallmington.😃
    Stupid boy !!!
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:

7.7% of the goals that Rotherham have conceded in League One this season have been scored by Charlton Athletic #cafc

— Louis Mendez (@LouisMend) April 9, 2022

3.8% of the goals conceded by Rotherham in League One this season have been scored by George Dobson #cafc

— Louis Mendez (@LouisMend) April 9, 2022
    God don't you just hate mathematicians
    No. I love myself, for a start. And as for these two:
  • Options
    Love the binary choice in pic 2.
  • Options
    You can thank me for our best win of the season (in terms of opposition position).
    The only game this season that I didn't attend or watch on Charlton TV.
    It was nailed on.
    Weren’t Sunderland top when we beat them up there?
    Plymouth were top, Sunderland were 2nd.
  • Options

What a great performance by the men in black. Sterling defensive work meant that the Millers didn’t get a look in. We created (and missed) several good opportunities and it was  set up nicely for Dobbo to secure the win with a thunderous volley. 

Jacko must be delighted with this performance not the complete one as he alluded to but certainly a much improved one. I think a lot of work must have been carried out on the training pitch because the Addicks totally negated any forward threats that Rotherham posed. The Millers also looked a little nervy at the back which didn’t help their cause. I thought it was only our goalkeepers that kicked the ball straight out of play? 

Difficult to single out anyone other than Dobbo for mom but overall it was very much a good team performance. Well done boys!