Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Tyreece Simpson has told Ipswich he wants to leave the club this summer. Looked very good for Swindon before he was recalled in Jan.

Obligatory youtube video here of Simpson. 
    Plays like a combination of Chuks and Karlan Grant. He's quite a unit.
    Seems a bit lumbering but mobile and quite pacy when he gets going, strong and difficult to knock off the ball. Likes to run with the ball into the box.
    He'll know how to fit into Garner's gameplan.

The Swindon number 3 caught my eye in this vid. Always seeming to find space going forward and stretching defences, worked well with Simpson.

• I don't have any problem with signing Swindon players, we are not going to be after their average/not good enough ones are we. If Garner thinks 2 or 3 of their best players are good enough for a promotion push at this level then im all for it.

If there was no Garner link and we were signing 5 of the best players in league 2 everyone would be very happy surely?
    Let’s be honest as well, that Swindon side would have played us off the park
  • A little note about Jonny Williams last season.  I assume you've all seen their Foal of the Season compilation.  3 of the 7 were scored by Jonny.  One was assisted by Jonny.  This playing setup would suit him.  40 appearances last season, 5 goals and 5 assists

Also worth watching goals 6 and 7.  Lovely team goals.  Very similar to the style of play of our U18s already with patience and probing. Louis Reed's free kick is decent too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f-YQu4A4-8

Be honest - how many of our goals this season were especially memorable?

Just saying
  • FAVADDICK said:
    There can't be anyone out there now that can surly tell me that they're not worried with how this is shaping up, 14 players minimum needed and 6 weeks to the start of the season, just really can't see it happening 
    Not worried. Just assuming I will likely be under-whelmed when the signings do start. Six decades of supporting this club has taught me not to have too many expectations. That and my daily blood pressure pill keep me calm.
  • Henry Irving said:

Typical entitled fan mouthing off on twitter thinking he knows best and demanding to spend someone else's money. As if he would know if deals aren't being worked on behind the scenes, needs to stop bed wetting - it's only June! All the best deals happen at the end of the window anyway. Needs to shut up and show some faith in the ownership, or, if it's so easy running a club maybe he should put up some of his own millions and show us how it's done. 

Shameful.
  • Every single agent will be telling his players to hang fire before agreeing anything. Lack of movement is unlikely to be the club but far more likely players waiting to see what comes along. It’s frustrating but that’s the situation. Add into that the club spinning plates on two or three targets keeping all happy while things move along and it’s very tough. We’re not in the splashing the cash market with bids for contracted players where the signing could be relatively straightforward. We’re mostly fishing in the out of contract pool where decent players can pick and choose and wait. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Tyreece Simpson speculated here, but only based on Garner managing him at Swindon.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42799/fry-confirms-posh-simpson-interest
    Exactly the type of player we ought to be going for. Young, scored goals at Swindon last season under Garner's management, only going to get better, quick and plays off the shoulder so will create space for others even if he isn't found. He also will have a good resale value too. It's something I can see happening if they want it enough.
    Not to say he isn't a good player, as he might well be I don't know enough about him.. But if he was actually that good, why would Ipswich want to get rid of him, and especially to a potenial promotion rival.. 

My opinion, we need to be looking at young players from the premier league that have been released, or willing to come down to league 1 to kick start careers! 

Getting a bit annoyed every player at Swindon last year is getting a mention as a target.. We need to be looking beyond league 2!!!
    He rejected a new contract and wants to leave. 
    Okay fair point.. But prob because he isn't getting game time? No doubt they would offer bigger wages than we can?

But for me, it is just another Swindon link!!
    He didn't play because he had Bonne, Pigott, Chaplin, Norwood, Jackson, and whoever else (half the league's worth of attackers) in front of him. He done extremely well for Swindon in the first part of last season and is only recently 20 years old - huge potenital. Ipswich don't want to lose him but if he wants to leave and continue his relationship with Garner, there is no reason why we couldn't make that happen.

He is 4 or 5 years behind Karlan Grant for example and look back to 2018 when he done well at Crawley in League Two. I am not saying Simpson will do the same, but comparisons can be made.

Certainly a player I would be happy for us to sign.
    I hope too, and would be great to get a Grant type player through the door.. hopefully he is good.. every 2nd rumour seems to have some sort of Swindon connection 
    He seems to be more of a Chuks Aneke than Karlan Grant. 
    There is literally not enough room in the changing room for Simpson and Aneke!  He's a big unit.....maybe even a couple of units.  Like Chuks but more mobile and probably not as much finesse
  • ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    Honestly, when was the last time you saw him play? I'm not digging you out, I'm wondering the same about when I last saw him. I feel like I briefly saw him come on for Sierra Leone at AFCON and I was filled with rage - my memory of him is as one of the worst signings we've ever made, he was so useless I don't even remember him as bad, more as essentially nothing at all. When I saw his name come up I was not impressed. I remember that he signed under Robinson though, so that was the 17/18 season. That means he last played for us 4 years ago when he was 22. By all accounts he's done alright since then, decent for Blackpool and an effective backup at Wycombe. As ButtleJR said being involved in 9 goals from 17 games is really good; half the time he played, he contributed to a goal being scored. A thing that a lot of teams struggle to identify is players who can actually have an impact when they come off the bench or in after not playing for a while and we'll need players like that. I'd hope that we'd be looking at a better player ahead of him as one thing from his stats is that he's clearly not fancied as a Championship player. If he leaves Wycombe it'll likely be in search of more first team opportunities, but if he hadn't appeared for us in that short loan when he was quite young I wonder if we'd all be having this reaction. I think we'll likely be placing a lot of eggs in the CBT basket this season and we'll need a player to come in for him when he needs a break or his hamstrings twang. I don't know if there's any truth to this Kaikai rumour but it's not the maddest thing I've ever seen now that I've had a look at his recent record. I think I'm fairly guilty of holding that bad loan spell against him
    doesn't look like he was even fancied as a League One player. 
    Well, that's not really true. In his first season at Blackpool he played 22 games, scored 4 and assisted 3 in the league. He was first choice until about December before getting dropped, followed by the manager getting sacked. Blackpool changed manager and the next season he played 36 league games, scored 7 and assisted 8, including a run at the end when he was involved in 10 goals in 14 games. He was definitely a backup option for Wycombe but quite an effective one in their run to the Play-Off final. Given that CBT will most likely be our first choice in his spot an effective backup wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    A little note about Jonny Williams last season.  I assume you've all seen their Foal of the Season compilation.  3 of the 7 were scored by Jonny.  One was assisted by Jonny.  This playing setup would suit him.  40 appearances last season, 5 goals and 5 assists

Also worth watching goals 6 and 7.  Lovely team goals.  Very similar to the style of play of our U18s already with patience and probing. Louis Reed's free kick is decent too

Just saying
    I can't remember us scoring any goals at all during February! :smile:

• ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    Honestly, when was the last time you saw him play? I'm not digging you out, I'm wondering the same about when I last saw him. I feel like I briefly saw him come on for Sierra Leone at AFCON and I was filled with rage - my memory of him is as one of the worst signings we've ever made, he was so useless I don't even remember him as bad, more as essentially nothing at all. When I saw his name come up I was not impressed. I remember that he signed under Robinson though, so that was the 17/18 season. That means he last played for us 4 years ago when he was 22. By all accounts he's done alright since then, decent for Blackpool and an effective backup at Wycombe. As ButtleJR said being involved in 9 goals from 17 games is really good; half the time he played, he contributed to a goal being scored. A thing that a lot of teams struggle to identify is players who can actually have an impact when they come off the bench or in after not playing for a while and we'll need players like that. I'd hope that we'd be looking at a better player ahead of him as one thing from his stats is that he's clearly not fancied as a Championship player. If he leaves Wycombe it'll likely be in search of more first team opportunities, but if he hadn't appeared for us in that short loan when he was quite young I wonder if we'd all be having this reaction. I think we'll likely be placing a lot of eggs in the CBT basket this season and we'll need a player to come in for him when he needs a break or his hamstrings twang. I don't know if there's any truth to this Kaikai rumour but it's not the maddest thing I've ever seen now that I've had a look at his recent record. I think I'm fairly guilty of holding that bad loan spell against him
    doesn't look like he was even fancied as a League One player. 
    Well, that's not really true. In his first season at Blackpool he played 22 games, scored 4 and assisted 3 in the league. He was first choice until about December before getting dropped, followed by the manager getting sacked. Blackpool changed manager and the next season he played 36 league games, scored 7 and assisted 8, including a run at the end when he was involved in 10 goals in 14 games. He was definitely a backup option for Wycombe but quite an effective one in their run to the Play-Off final. Given that CBT will most likely be our first choice in his spot an effective backup wouldn't be a bad thing.
    and thats where we fall down as a club, we should be looking for good players to improve our team, not back up players.

Why buy back up players to a team that was crap last season?
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Williams would be a poor signing. Signing a player that already has potential availability issues due to injury and is probably going to miss at least a month of our season due to international football is not a good idea. We are limited on squad numbers and already have a few players that are risks with injuries
    AGREE WE DONT WANT WILLIAMS…

injury prone

often doesn’t deliver the final ball

cant last 90 mins

on a big salary 

will be in the World Cup squad for wales - as their lucky mascot 

oh and rarely finds the back of the net 

to be honest for us he came on and won us fouls in the final third - that was It 

nice guy Eddie 
    But he wins free-kicks
    Scored more goals for Swindon last season that our entire midfield combined. 
  • Swisdom said:
    A little note about Jonny Williams last season.  I assume you've all seen their Foal of the Season compilation.  3 of the 7 were scored by Jonny.  One was assisted by Jonny.  This playing setup would suit him.  40 appearances last season, 5 goals and 5 assists

Just saying
    40 appearances with an average of 55 minutes per game. 

Never scored more than 2 in a season above League 2. 

I thought everyone was saying we need more goals from midfield so signing Williams to be our attacking midfielder makes no sense to me
  • Macronate said:
    Swisdom said:

Just saying
    These were the contenders:

F gets my vote- Majestic. E a close second.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Tyreece Simpson speculated here, but only based on Garner managing him at Swindon.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42799/fry-confirms-posh-simpson-interest
    Exactly the type of player we ought to be going for. Young, scored goals at Swindon last season under Garner's management, only going to get better, quick and plays off the shoulder so will create space for others even if he isn't found. He also will have a good resale value too. It's something I can see happening if they want it enough.
    Not to say he isn't a good player, as he might well be I don't know enough about him.. But if he was actually that good, why would Ipswich want to get rid of him, and especially to a potenial promotion rival.. 

My opinion, we need to be looking at young players from the premier league that have been released, or willing to come down to league 1 to kick start careers! 

Getting a bit annoyed every player at Swindon last year is getting a mention as a target.. We need to be looking beyond league 2!!!
    He rejected a new contract and wants to leave. 
    Okay fair point.. But prob because he isn't getting game time? No doubt they would offer bigger wages than we can?

But for me, it is just another Swindon link!!
    He didn't play because he had Bonne, Pigott, Chaplin, Norwood, Jackson, and whoever else (half the league's worth of attackers) in front of him. He done extremely well for Swindon in the first part of last season and is only recently 20 years old - huge potenital. Ipswich don't want to lose him but if he wants to leave and continue his relationship with Garner, there is no reason why we couldn't make that happen.

He is 4 or 5 years behind Karlan Grant for example and look back to 2018 when he done well at Crawley in League Two. I am not saying Simpson will do the same, but comparisons can be made.

Certainly a player I would be happy for us to sign.
    I hope too, and would be great to get a Grant type player through the door.. hopefully he is good.. every 2nd rumour seems to have some sort of Swindon connection 
    He seems to be more of a Chuks Aneke than Karlan Grant. 
    Injured?
  • Macronate said:
    Swisdom said:

Just saying
    These were the contenders:

F gets my vote- Majestic. E a close second.
    E is just style over substance... anyone can put a garland over it and scream "what a foal". F requires years of dedicated adherence to a certain style. C gets the flair vote for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    To those saying that no lessons have been learned, I'm sure TS realizes that the cluster of late signings last year, mostly the loans ones, didn't work out and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again. 

He has revised the recruitment system, but as SG has explained, the process this year got delayed because targets identified needed approval from the new manager

Taking so long to appoint him was also explained because it was us who made the approach to Swindon, so it had to wait until after the play offs as he was still under contract with them.

TS has also recently said he expects most business to be concluded towards the end of the transfer window due to market conditions and agents demands, which is his acceptance of reality based on past experience.

It's not ideal and he doesn't want that, but in any two party negotiation, he can only exercise so much control.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else and am eagerly anticipating new arrivals, of which I think we'll see couple this week or next, but I've resigned myself to the fact that there may only be 3 or 4 new names on the team sheet when the season kicks off.

If so, it won't be because lessons haven't been learned, but because despite our best efforts to change the end result, we failed the test again. However, we haven't yet though and I've still got my fingers crossed that we won't 🤞
    Says the same every window doesn't he?
  • edited June 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Whenever I have seen Marquis he has been a pretty decent player, both in link up play and as a goal threat.
    Of course things can change and maybe he’s simply not the player he was.
    If he joined, whereas I wouldn’t exactly be jumping for joy, I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed either.
    He'd probably be okay in a squad role, "does a job" kind of way but a similar description probably fits a fair few of the players we've just got rid of.

Realistically we need a squad that's an overall improvement on last season's,not just swapping the last lot of alright squad players with different squad players. 

Yes you need depth etc and some second choice types but that's what the likes of Gilbey or Davison who are here already should be for. We need to be getting players who are genuinely better than that.
    Well, if he plays as well as I have seen him do on several occasions, then he is/was certainly a step up from either Gilbey or Davison.
  • Maybe if we sign zero players this summer, we might break even, but we probably will get relegated, just want the right character and ability, not people doing us a favour clogging up the wage bill.
    You seriously believe we’d be relegated if we kept the same squad? I don’t.
    Incidentally, that doesn’t mean I’d be happy if we don’t make some significant changes.
  • edited June 2022
  • Ive asked a womble mate about Guinness-walker

"poor business from you boys if you get rid of purrington for Guinness-Walker. He is an awful player that couldn't get a game for the team that deservedly finished 23rd!

he can't cross and can't defend, I was expecting him to drop down the football pyramid, not move up it"
  • Who is the out of contract Dons defender mentioned? 
  • thenewbie said:
    Whenever I have seen Marquis he has been a pretty decent player, both in link up play and as a goal threat.
    Of course things can change and maybe he’s simply not the player he was.
    If he joined, whereas I wouldn’t exactly be jumping for joy, I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed either.
    He'd probably be okay in a squad role, "does a job" kind of way but a similar description probably fits a fair few of the players we've just got rid of.

Realistically we need a squad that's an overall improvement on last season's,not just swapping the last lot of alright squad players with different squad players. 

Yes you need depth etc and some second choice types but that's what the likes of Gilbey or Davison who are here already should be for. We need to be getting players who are genuinely better than that.
    Well, if he plays as well as I have seen him do on several occasions, then he is/was certainly a step up from either Gilbey or Davison.
    Irrelevant whether he’s a step up from Gilbey as they play in completely different positions - as for Davison, he’s dog shit and you’d be hard pressed to find a striker that isn’t a step up from him.