Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Garner will have known Kaikai from the Palace academy...
    I can’t even remember him playing for us…was he bad?

26/27 so a good age and a local lad.  Happy to trust Garner
  • Kaikai is under contract at Wycombe I think so unless we’re paying a fee, it ain’t happening. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Garner will have known Kaikai from the Palace academy...

He wasn't that good.
  • Valley11 said:
    Garner will have known Kaikai from the Palace academy...

He was rubbish. I am comforted that rarely do any rumours turn into fact as him, Marquis and Bostock would all be underwhelming.
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-defender-will-be-leaving-afc-wimbledon-when-his-contract-expires/

No idea about him or if we're interested but local and a plays in a position we need to fill.
    he is ex Met Police which I think is the same as one of our under 23s - Ness is it?
    He's also the great grandson of Alec Guinness 
    Would be nice for us to have a connection with a quality actor…for a change 😉
  • TelMc32 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-defender-will-be-leaving-afc-wimbledon-when-his-contract-expires/

No idea about him or if we're interested but local and a plays in a position we need to fill.
    he is ex Met Police which I think is the same as one of our under 23s - Ness is it?
    He's also the great grandson of Alec Guinness 
    Would be nice for us to have a connection with a quality actor…for a change 😉
    Exactly, all we've got at the moment is George Dobson's mum, Angie from EastEnders.
  • edited June 2022
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet if it's true. Garner will know him from palace too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    Recently no, but he's had a few decent seasons since his loan with us. 
  • edited June 2022
    Whenever I have seen Marquis he has been a pretty decent player, both in link up play and as a goal threat.
    Of course things can change and maybe he’s simply not the player he was.
    If he joined, whereas I wouldn’t exactly be jumping for joy, I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed either.
    He'd probably be okay in a squad role, "does a job" kind of way but a similar description probably fits a fair few of the players we've just got rid of.

Realistically we need a squad that's an overall improvement on last season's,not just swapping the last lot of alright squad players with different squad players. 

Yes you need depth etc and some second choice types but that's what the likes of Gilbey or Davison who are here already should be for. We need to be getting players who are genuinely better than that.
  • FAVADDICK said:
    There can't be anyone out there now that can surly tell me that they're not worried with how this is shaping up, 14 players minimum needed and 6 weeks to the start of the season, just really can't see it happening 
    I can't recall any season when we went into the first game unable to field a team or even the subs bench due to lack of bodies. Or even having to fill the team with kids. Why should 22/23 be any different?
    Promotion season under bow we couldn’t fill our bench 

I see the point you're making but you've still validated my point too 

We still went to Sunderland with 11 players on the pitch and 5 subs even if kids when you could only make 3 subs.

My point still stands first game of the season we'll still field 11 players and have enough players on the bench even if kids because we always do even if the squad looks small now.
  • FAVADDICK said:
    There can't be anyone out there now that can surly tell me that they're not worried with how this is shaping up, 14 players minimum needed and 6 weeks to the start of the season, just really can't see it happening 
    Don't worry, lessons have been learnt after last years slow mo activity in recruitment. 
  • mart77 said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    I can't recall any season when we went into the first game unable to field a team or even the subs bench due to lack of bodies. Or even having to fill the team with kids. Why should 22/23 be any different?
    I think a lot more of the academy players will feature in pre season than people think. I don’t mind that but still think we need 7/8 players, most of whom are genuine first teamers. 
    Just like last year until at the last minute somebody realised that the youngsters weren't ready for 3rd Division football.
  • thenewbie said:
    Whenever I have seen Marquis he has been a pretty decent player, both in link up play and as a goal threat.
    Of course things can change and maybe he’s simply not the player he was.
    If he joined, whereas I wouldn’t exactly be jumping for joy, I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed either.
    He'd probably be okay in a squad role, "does a job" kind of way but a similar description probably fits a fair few of the players we've just got rid of.

Realistically we need a squad that's an overall improvement on last season's,not just swapping the last lot of alright squad players with different squad players. 

Yes you need depth etc and some second choice types but that's what the likes of Gilbey or Davison who are here already should be for. We need to be getting players who are genuinely better than that.
    In my opinion, if we are going to change the way we play, significantly, we need to change the squad significantly.  We have only got about 6 places.  If you dismiss the loans, 3 were underage, and we now have Kirk, Davison and Morgan as well. 

We need to replace the 5 defenders and Washington with, if not like for like, similar positions.  Any improvement else were has got to be one in one out.

Ignoring the keeper we probably need 6 players for the first team so to be both good and balanced, we will have to swap some back ups for potentially other back ups. 
  • Sponsored links:

• would expect our shopping list has changed or the sort of player has changed with Garner replacing JJ . It was reported that SG and JJ had started work on the players they wanted to get in , so that would have been put on hold again as SG indicated last week , to give Garner time to look at the squad and under 23 to decide along with SG if it’s a new direction regarding recruitment then it was under JJ .. I suspect it is given the change in system and style of play hence the slight delay in bringing one or two in .
    Still expect by end of the window we will have the 8/9 new players we want … … but most transfers being done at the moment are all on July 1st when contracts end , hardly if any commanding a fee  again I can see us having 2/3 around that time as well ….. 
  • edited June 2022
    ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    He looked quite mediocre when he was with us (although wasn’t it sub appearances?), but looks a better player now, based on the clips I’ve seen on Quest. Wasn’t he quite young on his loan spell?
  • https://twitter.com/weareswansea/status/1537084463183716355?s=21&t=zNme6izR5JWDkfRZXAbkpg

Swansea allegedly not pushing for a deal. 

That’s now Sheffield Wednesday who have cooled off interest, Swansea the same and then Reading have dismissed it completely due to money. We are the only club linked with him so far where nothing has gone hush yet 

hopefully we have landed him and is one of the players close 
    It’s Nixon but wonder if this is similar to Kirk where Nixon was possibly used to try and get the best deal. At first we were in for Kirk, then it looked like he was going to Sheff Utd before we ended up signing him. I’m not convinced Sheff Utd were ever really in for him.
  • Scoham said:
    https://twitter.com/weareswansea/status/1537084463183716355?s=21&t=zNme6izR5JWDkfRZXAbkpg

Swansea allegedly not pushing for a deal. 

That’s now Sheffield Wednesday who have cooled off interest, Swansea the same and then Reading have dismissed it completely due to money. We are the only club linked with him so far where nothing has gone hush yet 

hopefully we have landed him and is one of the players close 
    It’s Nixon but wonder if this is similar to Kirk where Nixon was possibly used to try and get the best deal. At first we were in for Kirk, then it looked like he was going to Sheff Utd before we ended up signing him. I’m not convinced Sheff Utd were ever really in for him.
    Does Nixon talk to people then? I thought he just pulled random names from one bag and teams from another to create a link.
  • It gives me such a lift to see us being linked to players that Palace and Millwall binned years ago.
  • swordfish said:
    To those saying that no lessons have been learned, I'm sure TS realizes that the cluster of late signings last year, mostly the loans ones, didn't work out and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again. 

He has revised the recruitment system, but as SG has explained, the process this year got delayed because targets identified needed approval from the new manager

Taking so long to appoint him was also explained because it was us who made the approach to Swindon, so it had to wait until after the play offs as he was still under contract with them.

TS has also recently said he expects most business to be concluded towards the end of the transfer window due to market conditions and agents demands, which is his acceptance of reality based on past experience.

It's not ideal and he doesn't want that, but in any two party negotiation, he can only exercise so much control.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else and am eagerly anticipating new arrivals, of which I think we'll see couple this week or next, but I've resigned myself to the fact that there may only be 3 or 4 new names on the team sheet when the season kicks off.

If so, it won't be because lessons haven't been learned, but because despite our best efforts to change the end result, we failed the test again. However, we haven't yet though and I've still got my fingers crossed that we won't 🤞
    Garner would have known about transfer targets 2 or 3 weeks before the appointment was offically announced. Most clubs are all fishing in the same pool, it is down to the players if they want to come to us! 
  • swordfish said:
    To those saying that no lessons have been learned, I'm sure TS realizes that the cluster of late signings last year, mostly the loans ones, didn't work out and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again. 

He has revised the recruitment system, but as SG has explained, the process this year got delayed because targets identified needed approval from the new manager

Taking so long to appoint him was also explained because it was us who made the approach to Swindon, so it had to wait until after the play offs as he was still under contract with them.

TS has also recently said he expects most business to be concluded towards the end of the transfer window due to market conditions and agents demands, which is his acceptance of reality based on past experience.

It's not ideal and he doesn't want that, but in any two party negotiation, he can only exercise so much control.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else and am eagerly anticipating new arrivals, of which I think we'll see couple this week or next, but I've resigned myself to the fact that there may only be 3 or 4 new names on the team sheet when the season kicks off.

If so, it won't be because lessons haven't been learned, but because despite our best efforts to change the end result, we failed the test again. However, we haven't yet though and I've still got my fingers crossed that we won't 🤞
    Succession planning. Don't you just love it
  • supaclive said:
    swordfish said:

3 or 4???!
    We won't have a team!
    How many new players had we brought in before the season started last season?  MacGillivray, Dobson, Clare?  We might have got away with it if we didn't have 3 players injured/ill and fixture list had been kinder.

I would be supprised if it's more than 4 this time. I think there will be a flurry of ins and outs late on.