Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• JohnnyH2 said:
    swordfish said:
    supaclive said:
    swordfish said:
    To those saying that no lessons have been learned, I'm sure TS realizes that the cluster of late signings last year, mostly the loans ones, didn't work out and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again. 

He has revised the recruitment system, but as SG has explained, the process this year got delayed because targets identified needed approval from the new manager

Taking so long to appoint him was also explained because it was us who made the approach to Swindon, so it had to wait until after the play offs as he was still under contract with them.

TS has also recently said he expects most business to be concluded towards the end of the transfer window due to market conditions and agents demands, which is his acceptance of reality based on past experience.

It's not ideal and he doesn't want that, but in any two party negotiation, he can only exercise so much control.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else and am eagerly anticipating new arrivals, of which I think we'll see couple this week or next, but I've resigned myself to the fact that there may only be 3 or 4 new names on the team sheet when the season kicks off.

If so, it won't be because lessons haven't been learned, but because despite our best efforts to change the end result, we failed the test again. However, we haven't yet though and I've still got my fingers crossed that we won't 🤞
    3 or 4???!
    We won't have a team!
    Arguably our best game last year, Sunderland away. 9 of the squad that day are still here plus AMB, Chuks, Innis, Fraser, Kirk & JFC. Are you saying that with  3 or 4 more we won't have a team than can hold it's own come opening day?
    Or put another way over half of the starting 11 that day are no longer here
    True, but they're not available for selection for the opening game are they? 
  • edited June 2022
  • So, do we just write this season off as a work in progress?  ;) 
    Yes, nothing can be achieved now, all over, done, finished, kaput.
    Whoosh!

Yes I think this will be the case . Consolidate/stay up this year and then go for it 2023/2024 .
  • Tyreece Simpson speculated here, but only based on Garner managing him at Swindon.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42799/fry-confirms-posh-simpson-interest

Yes I think this will be the case . Consolidate/stay up this year and then go for it 2023/2024 .
    I don't for one minute believe that consolidation is the aim.
    Ultimately though, that may very likely be what we have to settle for given the lateness of the hour.
    Swisdoms post above sums up the current status beautifully.
    What we need to see is some clear and early evidence of progress, because I suspect the fanbase generally hasn't the patience for the long game.

If that is the plan I think I won't be buying a season ticket next year...that is absolutely u acceptable as a plan. The idea is to win things.not tread water or worse.
    Amazed that as big a Charlton fan as you hasn't already bagged their early bird season ticket?
  • Sponsored links:

• Tyreece Simpson has told Ipswich he wants to leave the club this summer. Looked very good for Swindon before he was recalled in Jan.

Obligatory youtube video here of Simpson. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    Honestly, when was the last time you saw him play? I'm not digging you out, I'm wondering the same about when I last saw him. I feel like I briefly saw him come on for Sierra Leone at AFCON and I was filled with rage - my memory of him is as one of the worst signings we've ever made, he was so useless I don't even remember him as bad, more as essentially nothing at all. When I saw his name come up I was not impressed. I remember that he signed under Robinson though, so that was the 17/18 season. That means he last played for us 4 years ago when he was 22. By all accounts he's done alright since then, decent for Blackpool and an effective backup at Wycombe. As ButtleJR said being involved in 9 goals from 17 games is really good; half the time he played, he contributed to a goal being scored. A thing that a lot of teams struggle to identify is players who can actually have an impact when they come off the bench or in after not playing for a while and we'll need players like that. I'd hope that we'd be looking at a better player ahead of him as one thing from his stats is that he's clearly not fancied as a Championship player. If he leaves Wycombe it'll likely be in search of more first team opportunities, but if he hadn't appeared for us in that short loan when he was quite young I wonder if we'd all be having this reaction. I think we'll likely be placing a lot of eggs in the CBT basket this season and we'll need a player to come in for him when he needs a break or his hamstrings twang. I don't know if there's any truth to this Kaikai rumour but it's not the maddest thing I've ever seen now that I've had a look at his recent record. I think I'm fairly guilty of holding that bad loan spell against him
  • edited June 2022
    Kips said:
    https://twitter.com/weareswansea/status/1537084463183716355?s=21&t=zNme6izR5JWDkfRZXAbkpg

Swansea allegedly not pushing for a deal. 

That’s now Sheffield Wednesday who have cooled off interest, Swansea the same and then Reading have dismissed it completely due to money. We are the only club linked with him so far where nothing has gone hush yet 

hopefully we have landed him and is one of the players close 
    I thought Hull were rumoured too. There will also be other interest in Tucker that’s still under the radar for sure. Peterboro would be one exanple at a guess.  

Let's hope geography means this one goes in our favour.
    Ourselves, Swansea and Reading, at present were the only 3 clubs linked with him on social media sites/news companies, from what I can see anyway.

Hull was speculation by a Gillingham fan on their forum and Peterborough were after him last season. 
  • Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Tyreece Simpson speculated here, but only based on Garner managing him at Swindon.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42799/fry-confirms-posh-simpson-interest
    Exactly the type of player we ought to be going for. Young, scored goals at Swindon last season under Garner's management, only going to get better, quick and plays off the shoulder so will create space for others even if he isn't found. He also will have a good resale value too. It's something I can see happening if they want it enough.
    Not to say he isn't a good player, as he might well be I don't know enough about him.. But if he was actually that good, why would Ipswich want to get rid of him, and especially to a potenial promotion rival.. 

My opinion, we need to be looking at young players from the premier league that have been released, or willing to come down to league 1 to kick start careers! 

Getting a bit annoyed every player at Swindon last year is getting a mention as a target.. We need to be looking beyond league 2!!!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Tyreece Simpson speculated here, but only based on Garner managing him at Swindon.

Exactly the type of player we ought to be going for. Young, scored goals at Swindon last season under Garner's management, only going to get better, quick and plays off the shoulder so will create space for others even if he isn't found. He also will have a good resale value too. It's something I can see happening if they want it enough.
    Not to say he isn't a good player, as he might well be I don't know enough about him.. But if he was actually that good, why would Ipswich want to get rid of him, and especially to a potenial promotion rival.. 

My opinion, we need to be looking at young players from the premier league that have been released, or willing to come down to league 1 to kick start careers! 

Getting a bit annoyed every player at Swindon last year is getting a mention as a target.. We need to be looking beyond league 2!!!
    He rejected a new contract and wants to leave. 
  • Which could show how important it is to have the team ready for it?
  • Tyrece Simpson would be a brilliant signing. Just hope that he wants to move to a team he will play at as I think he will probably have some championship interest and then might end up in league 1 on loan 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

They don't want to get rid of him, he's asked to leave. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

Okay fair point.. But prob because he isn't getting game time? No doubt they would offer bigger wages than we can?

But for me, it is just another Swindon link!!
    Yes, nothing can be achieved now, all over, done, finished, kaput.
    Whoosh!
    No, I was agreeing with you 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    Honestly, when was the last time you saw him play? I'm not digging you out, I'm wondering the same about when I last saw him. I feel like I briefly saw him come on for Sierra Leone at AFCON and I was filled with rage - my memory of him is as one of the worst signings we've ever made, he was so useless I don't even remember him as bad, more as essentially nothing at all. When I saw his name come up I was not impressed. I remember that he signed under Robinson though, so that was the 17/18 season. That means he last played for us 4 years ago when he was 22. By all accounts he's done alright since then, decent for Blackpool and an effective backup at Wycombe. As ButtleJR said being involved in 9 goals from 17 games is really good; half the time he played, he contributed to a goal being scored. A thing that a lot of teams struggle to identify is players who can actually have an impact when they come off the bench or in after not playing for a while and we'll need players like that. I'd hope that we'd be looking at a better player ahead of him as one thing from his stats is that he's clearly not fancied as a Championship player. If he leaves Wycombe it'll likely be in search of more first team opportunities, but if he hadn't appeared for us in that short loan when he was quite young I wonder if we'd all be having this reaction. I think we'll likely be placing a lot of eggs in the CBT basket this season and we'll need a player to come in for him when he needs a break or his hamstrings twang. I don't know if there's any truth to this Kaikai rumour but it's not the maddest thing I've ever seen now that I've had a look at his recent record. I think I'm fairly guilty of holding that bad loan spell against him
    doesn't look like he was even fancied as a League One player. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Williams would be a poor signing. Signing a player that already has potential availability issues due to injury and is probably going to miss at least a month of our season due to international football is not a good idea. We are limited on squad numbers and already have a few players that are risks with injuries
    AGREE WE DONT WANT WILLIAMS…

injury prone

often doesn’t deliver the final ball

cant last 90 mins

on a big salary 

will be in the World Cup squad for wales - as their lucky mascot 

oh and rarely finds the back of the net 

to be honest for us he came on and won us fouls in the final third - that was It 

nice guy Eddie 
    But he wins free-kicks
  • ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet if it's true. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    So didn’t start that often then?  Was he injured at all or just not first choice?

He seems an okay player career wise and Wycombe just missed out on promotion, but it looks like he was a fringe player for them based on 17 apps.  A fringe player for a team still in the same division with us isn’t the way forward imo 
  • cabbles said:
    ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet if it's true. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    So didn’t start that often then?  Was he injured at all or just not first choice?

He seems an okay player career wise and Wycombe just missed out on promotion, but it looks like he was a fringe player for them based on 17 apps.  A fringe player for a team still in the same division with us isn’t the way forward imo 
    On those stats no.

But good recruitment is about spotting the hidden gem, the overlooked player who can do more than others think.

In any case, Garner may not even rate him and Charlton may have no interest in him.  It's just a name that has been thrown out there.
  • Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

Okay fair point.. But prob because he isn't getting game time? No doubt they would offer bigger wages than we can?

He didn't play because he had Bonne, Pigott, Chaplin, Norwood, Jackson, and whoever else (half the league's worth of attackers) in front of him. He done extremely well for Swindon in the first part of last season and is only recently 20 years old - huge potenital. Ipswich don't want to lose him but if he wants to leave and continue his relationship with Garner, there is no reason why we couldn't make that happen.

He is 4 or 5 years behind Karlan Grant for example and look back to 2018 when he done well at Crawley in League Two. I am not saying Simpson will do the same, but comparisons can be made.

Certainly a player I would be happy for us to sign.
    I hope too, and would be great to get a Grant type player through the door.. hopefully he is good.. every 2nd rumour seems to have some sort of Swindon connection 
  • cabbles said:
    ButtleJR said:

On those stats no.

But good recruitment is about spotting the hidden gem, the overlooked player who can do more than others think.

In any case, Garner may not even rate him and Charlton may have no interest in him.  It's just a name that has been thrown out there.
    I admit I don’t know much about him after he left us, and was part of a Blackpool team that got promotion and of course, what he could do with us isn’t based on what he’s done before.  I just think that even if there’s no truth to this one, he, and the other 2 in Bostock and Marquis that have been mentioned are going to move us on.  Bostock was at Doncaster last season and Marquis has been a consistent forward in teams that haven’t got out of this league.  

Quality is hard to attract, but of the names mentioned so far, it’s not sounding great.

A few weeks to go though and I am sure SG and SG know the squad is thin on numbers and quality, so I have faith they recognise the urgency and we can only judge at the end of the window.

unfortunately I just don’t like a lot of our players at the moment.  I have a negative sentiment with regards to the current squad based on the last 2 years and when I see names like Marquis and Bostock it just reinforces it. I really want to get back on the positive side of the fence soon 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

He didn't play because he had Bonne, Pigott, Chaplin, Norwood, Jackson, and whoever else (half the league's worth of attackers) in front of him. He done extremely well for Swindon in the first part of last season and is only recently 20 years old - huge potenital. Ipswich don't want to lose him but if he wants to leave and continue his relationship with Garner, there is no reason why we couldn't make that happen.

He is 4 or 5 years behind Karlan Grant for example and look back to 2018 when he done well at Crawley in League Two. I am not saying Simpson will do the same, but comparisons can be made.

Certainly a player I would be happy for us to sign.
    I hope too, and would be great to get a Grant type player through the door.. hopefully he is good.. every 2nd rumour seems to have some sort of Swindon connection 
    He seems to be more of a Chuks Aneke than Karlan Grant. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Our defensive three will likely be: Lavelle - Inniss - *New*. I hope Clare can come into either the RWB position or CM and can still be utilised as a CB in emergency. 

I expect our first team may look something like this over the next week:

M.Brewer
    Lavelle - Inniss - New
    Clare - Morgan - Dobson- Fraser - F.Caskey
    New - Stockley 

...and I genuinely felt a bit sad not typing Washington there. It also feels a mess with a CM at LWB & RWB respectively, but we have seen them both do well there.

I would also assume that B.Taylor & Aneke will be available from the bench (hopefully MacG also demoted to the bench)

I have no inside info other than two new players inbound and that was from Mr ButtleJR who keeps getting bits right. 

If you want to get promoted Clare shouldn’t be a first team player.
    I don't expect him to be come first game of the season/close of the window. I disagree though as a RCB he was one of our best players last season, wasn't he second or third to Dobson/Dobson & Stockley?
    Being third best player in mid-table L1 team officially makes you shit.

He's not good enough for an xi team chasing the autos.