Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• We have been a basket case of a club ever since we clapped Curbs out the front door. Even I didn't expect us to have not signed anyone by mid June. What really gets me is it sounds like JJ had players lined up at the Player of the Year do. If Garner does not turn out well, I will be furious.
    I keep saying it, but he needs his coaching team in place first otherwise we’re going the same route as Dowie, Adkins etc 
  • edited June 2022
    ButtleJR said:
    Don't expect anything to be announced today or tomorrow. Apparently could be more than 2 next week if everything goes to plan. 
    Maybe it's because we have a line to the boss man, and it's actually pretty normal (you do often hear that it is a difficult time for lots of teams), but it worries me how long it seems to take all our negotiations.

Players in later than wanted last summer, JJ's initial contract rumbling on, Garner's contract rumbling on, seemingly Garner's background staff contracts rumbling on. I do wonder.
    I guess this is what you get when you top two ambitions without the budget to match. TS claims our budget is around the top 3 but it has never felt that way, even with us spending some fairly big fees for this level.

The only positive is we’re not the only one. It’s not as if anyone has already made a lot of signings.
  • edited June 2022
    arny23394 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Whenever I have seen Marquis he has been a pretty decent player, both in link up play and as a goal threat.
    Of course things can change and maybe he’s simply not the player he was.
    If he joined, whereas I wouldn’t exactly be jumping for joy, I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed either.
    He'd probably be okay in a squad role, "does a job" kind of way but a similar description probably fits a fair few of the players we've just got rid of.

Realistically we need a squad that's an overall improvement on last season's,not just swapping the last lot of alright squad players with different squad players. 

Yes you need depth etc and some second choice types but that's what the likes of Gilbey or Davison who are here already should be for. We need to be getting players who are genuinely better than that.
    Well, if he plays as well as I have seen him do on several occasions, then he is/was certainly a step up from either Gilbey or Davison.
    Irrelevant whether he’s a step up from Gilbey as they play in completely different positions - as for Davison, he’s dog shit and you’d be hard pressed to find a striker that isn’t a step up from him.
    I know that…..I was referring to his overall standard of play and ability in comparison (as was the newbie), indicating an example of the standards we should be looking for.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Don't expect anything to be announced today or tomorrow. Apparently could be more than 2 next week if everything goes to plan. 
    Disappointing, as normally when I'm out for the day, loads of transfer business happens.
  • Ive asked a womble mate about Guinness-walker

"poor business from you boys if you get rid of purrington for Guinness-Walker. He is an awful player that couldn't get a game for the team that deservedly finished 23rd!

he can't cross and can't defend, I was expecting him to drop down the football pyramid, not move up it"
    But apart from that?
    He more often than not puts his shorts on back to front.
  • edited June 2022
    So to recap the Charlton Athletic 2022 black-box transfer strategy  in full:

1. Cheap,  injury-prone players that used to play for Charlton
    2. Cheap, injury-prone players that currently play for Swindon
    3. Err....that's it. 
    More likely 
    Black Box search criteria 
    1. Free Agent in League Two or lower. 
    2. Nobody else wants.
    3. Must be able to play in any position 
    4. Must not have an agent

Black Box Search results......

No players match your search criteria.

Please alter your search criteria or utilise the academy players until they develop to a high enough standard to get sold. 

• Really hoped for something this week. It’s all very frustrating, and I’ve been urging patience!
  • Sponsored links:

• We'll make a couple of good signings, mainly doing decent business signing a few of Swindon's best players. We will sign the CB from Gillingham, who will start well but inevitably get injured. We will leave it all a bit last minute, scrambling around getting some free agents/loans who arn't promotion material (Elliot Lee esque, maybe even the man himself). 

We're gonna come 10th, a slight improvement on last season but still thoroughly disappointing. People will over analysis the manager to death throughout the season but the reality is as always, you get out of this division depending on your recruitment. 
  • We'll make a couple of good signings, mainly doing decent business signing a few of Swindon's best players. We will sign the CB from Gillingham, who will start well but inevitably get injured. We will leave it all a bit last minute, scrambling around getting some free agents/loans who arn't promotion material (Elliot Lee esque, maybe even the man himself). 

We're gonna come 10th, a slight improvement on last season but still thoroughly disappointing. People will over analysis the manager to death throughout the season but the reality is as always, you get out of this division depending on your recruitment. 
    Christ…..talk about glass half empty. 🤔
  • The relying on the academy players theory would hold more weight if we weren't still waiting for a lot of those players to sign deals.

It maybe that deals are done or being negotiated but they haven't been announced.
  • In the immortal words of Russell Slade, " ....... ".

Oh, I've forgotten what it is. :neutral:

• The relying on the academy players theory would hold more weight if we weren't still waiting for a lot of those players to sign deals.

It maybe that deals are done or being negotiated but they haven't been announced.
    It's not done until it's done.

WIOTOS, Henry. :wink:

• What happen to the deals that were being kept warm? They must be tepid by now.
  • Valley11 said:
    We have been a basket case of a club ever since we clapped Curbs out the front door. Even I didn't expect us to have not signed anyone by mid June. What really gets me is it sounds like JJ had players lined up at the Player of the Year do. If Garner does not turn out well, I will be furious.
    I keep saying it, but he needs his coaching team in place first otherwise we’re going the same route as Dowie, Adkins etc 
    He should know the system he wants to play and the players he wants which has nothing to do with his coaching staff. They will help implement it of course but ultimately Garner and not his coaches will have the final input on players. 
    Yes but looking at the bigger picture, it doesn’t matter what players Garner signs if he doesn’t have the coaching team who helped him to recent success. 
  • Sponsored links:

• What happen to the deals that were being kept warm? They must be tepid by now.
    Bit like Boris's oven ready deal on Northern Ireland.
  • ButtleJR said:
    2 goals and 7 assists from 17 games last season, many of which off the bench is a very decent return. I wouldn't write Kaikai off just yet. Garner will know him from palace too. 
    Have you ever seen him play? If we are aiming for players like him then we are fucked to put it bluntly.
    Honestly, when was the last time you saw him play? I'm not digging you out, I'm wondering the same about when I last saw him. I feel like I briefly saw him come on for Sierra Leone at AFCON and I was filled with rage - my memory of him is as one of the worst signings we've ever made, he was so useless I don't even remember him as bad, more as essentially nothing at all. When I saw his name come up I was not impressed. I remember that he signed under Robinson though, so that was the 17/18 season. That means he last played for us 4 years ago when he was 22. By all accounts he's done alright since then, decent for Blackpool and an effective backup at Wycombe. As ButtleJR said being involved in 9 goals from 17 games is really good; half the time he played, he contributed to a goal being scored. A thing that a lot of teams struggle to identify is players who can actually have an impact when they come off the bench or in after not playing for a while and we'll need players like that. I'd hope that we'd be looking at a better player ahead of him as one thing from his stats is that he's clearly not fancied as a Championship player. If he leaves Wycombe it'll likely be in search of more first team opportunities, but if he hadn't appeared for us in that short loan when he was quite young I wonder if we'd all be having this reaction. I think we'll likely be placing a lot of eggs in the CBT basket this season and we'll need a player to come in for him when he needs a break or his hamstrings twang. I don't know if there's any truth to this Kaikai rumour but it's not the maddest thing I've ever seen now that I've had a look at his recent record. I think I'm fairly guilty of holding that bad loan spell against him
    doesn't look like he was even fancied as a League One player. 
    Well, that's not really true. In his first season at Blackpool he played 22 games, scored 4 and assisted 3 in the league. He was first choice until about December before getting dropped, followed by the manager getting sacked. Blackpool changed manager and the next season he played 36 league games, scored 7 and assisted 8, including a run at the end when he was involved in 10 goals in 14 games. He was definitely a backup option for Wycombe but quite an effective one in their run to the Play-Off final. Given that CBT will most likely be our first choice in his spot an effective backup wouldn't be a bad thing.
    and thats where we fall down as a club, we should be looking for good players to improve our team, not back up players.

Why buy back up players to a team that was crap last season?
    Was CBT crap?
  • Oggy Red said:
    The relying on the academy players theory would hold more weight if we weren't still waiting for a lot of those players to sign deals.

It's not done until it's done.

WIOTOS, Henry. :wink:

I wish I'd said that
  • ButtleJR said:

• More of the same that we've seen from day one I fear. Nothing seen so far to suggest otherwise.

Think we will be pining for Connor Washington and Ben Purrington by Christmas and can't see as it is today any real promotion challenge. 

I really hoped this window and preseason  was going to be different but appears not so far. 

Not a promotion challenging squad at present and a lot of work needs to be done next couple of weeks to ensure we don't waste the first third of the season again with inevitable injuries etc especially if relying on likes of innis and aneke.

Garner is going to have his work cut out in 6 weeks I think.

Big few weeks coming up but instinct is that it'll be another hope for the best anti climax of a window and lying to ourselves about players we bring in being capable of forming a promotion challenging squad and being better or as good as what we've let go ie purrington and Washington.

I’d be even more worried if we’d made some poor signings already. At least not knowing leaves room for hope. 

Or then selling those academy players at the first opportunity.
  • Rothko said:
    I'm never not amazed how this site goes from random tweet, to one opposition fans opinion to melt down so quickly 
    Need Cawley to confirm who we’re not signing just as he did when JFH etc was linked with the managers job.
  • If Guinness-walker had gone to Portsmouth in January, sure as anything, the same people losing it now over one AFCW fans opinion, would have been screaming that he was someone we should sign, and where's the ambition.