Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    swordfish said:
    To those saying that no lessons have been learned, I'm sure TS realizes that the cluster of late signings last year, mostly the loans ones, didn't work out and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again. 

He has revised the recruitment system, but as SG has explained, the process this year got delayed because targets identified needed approval from the new manager

Taking so long to appoint him was also explained because it was us who made the approach to Swindon, so it had to wait until after the play offs as he was still under contract with them.

TS has also recently said he expects most business to be concluded towards the end of the transfer window due to market conditions and agents demands, which is his acceptance of reality based on past experience.

It's not ideal and he doesn't want that, but in any two party negotiation, he can only exercise so much control.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else and am eagerly anticipating new arrivals, of which I think we'll see couple this week or next, but I've resigned myself to the fact that there may only be 3 or 4 new names on the team sheet when the season kicks off.

If so, it won't be because lessons haven't been learned, but because despite our best efforts to change the end result, we failed the test again. However, we haven't yet though and I've still got my fingers crossed that we won't 🤞
    3 or 4???!
    We won't have a team!
    How many new players had we brought in before the season started last season?  MacGillivray, Dobson, Clare?  We might have got away with it if we didn't have 3 players injured/ill and fixture list had been kinder.

I would be supprised if it's more than 4 this time. I think there will be a flurry of ins and outs late on. 
    Including loan players who returned I make it 14 that have left so far.
    Not sure if many more will leave. 
    2 or 3 at most I would imagine 
    But with pre season training starting today I would have liked to see a few new faces in the squad. 
  • https://twitter.com/weareswansea/status/1537084463183716355?s=21&t=zNme6izR5JWDkfRZXAbkpg

Swansea allegedly not pushing for a deal. 

That’s now Sheffield Wednesday who have cooled off interest, Swansea the same and then Reading have dismissed it completely due to money. We are the only club linked with him so far where nothing has gone hush yet 

hopefully we have landed him and is one of the players close 
    I thought Hull were rumoured too. There will also be other interest in Tucker that’s still under the radar for sure. Peterboro would be one exanple at a guess.  

Let's hope geography means this one goes in our favour.
  • Valley11 said:
    Garner will have known Kaikai from the Palace academy...
    I can’t even remember him playing for us…was he bad?

26/27 so a good age and a local lad.  Happy to trust Garner
    He wasn't that good.
    I mean, that’s an understatement… he was really shite and I assumed the OP was a joke
  • I doctored that slightly, hopefully well enough that it was hard to spot.
    Now you've pointed it out I can see it.
  • edited June 2022
    So, do we just write this season off as a work in progress?  ;) 
  • Chunes said:
    It makes a mockery of the league that games kick off and squads aren't even together. Can't believe something hasn't been done about it. It's shit for the clubs, the fans and the integrity of the competition. All it's good for are the agents and the players bank balances.
    Agree. The solution is to bring the end of the summer transfer window forward to the date that marks the first fixture of the season. That way the so called ‘last minute deals’ happen before the season kicks off and clubs don’t end up with half a squad during August.
  • mart77 said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    There can't be anyone out there now that can surly tell me that they're not worried with how this is shaping up, 14 players minimum needed and 6 weeks to the start of the season, just really can't see it happening 
    I can't recall any season when we went into the first game unable to field a team or even the subs bench due to lack of bodies. Or even having to fill the team with kids. Why should 22/23 be any different?
    I think a lot more of the academy players will feature in pre season than people think. I don’t mind that but still think we need 7/8 players, most of whom are genuine first teamers. 
    Just like last year until at the last minute somebody realised that the youngsters weren't ready for 3rd Division football.
    Agreed. During pre season likes of Ghandour and Clayden were heavily involved, never mind Davison and Elewere, but none were to ultimately feature that much once additional bodies came in.
  • Swisdom said:
    SG and JJ would have had a list of players they were interested in as well as a list of the positions we need to strengthen - that won't have changed much it's just the types of players we need now that may have altered. 
    at the ipswich game they already had 296 players on a watch lst who they were monitoring.  I know for a fact we have been after Tucker for over a year, I know we've been monitoring Sarr's status since at least Christmas.  They are constantly looking and discussing players and options for the coming windows (note plural there - it's deliberate) - not just the current one.  I also know we were keen on Steven Humphrys last summer but Wigan offered silly money.  (Turned out to be a bit part player in an unfamiliar formation and I wonder if he'll get much action in the Championship but his salary expectations now mean he's at an impasse for a couple of years.  Shame that and a waste of talent.)

They knew Purrington would be out of contract so they would have been looking for a left back or lwb.  Regardless of 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 we'll need players that play on the left and can defend so nothing much changes there.  But now the central defenders we look at may not necessarily need to be as capable of playing in a 3 at the back but more likely a flatter back 4 but will now need to be good on the ball and comfortable under pressure.  It just shifts the targets slightly.

We need a goalie who can kick well but who is good with his feet and comfortable playing as a keeper/sweeper.  Sorry Big Mac but I suspect you may be on borrowed time.

Midfielders will need to have a good touch and the ability to pass and move quickly - that's critical in the high press.  This is why someone like Jonny Williams suited Swindon so well last season.  He has aspects where he isn't great but his touch was excellent and his ability to go forwards and not laterally was rarely in doubt.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him again and neither would I be disapointed.  This formation will also suit a JFC and Fraser.  Both can pick a pass and they will hopefully have plenty of movement to work with as well as space to exploit.  Dobbo will have a lot of water carrying to do and we'll probably need another similar sort of holding midfielder to share some of the load or to go alongside him in a double pivot in front of the defence.

Up front will need a big rethink imo.  Looking at Liverpool (purely as exponents of the high press) there is no defined target man - just 3 interchangeable wasps who run and run and run and annoy the shit out of defences.  As much as I love Stockley I am not sure this is his type of game so the forwards we look at need to be waspish but also capable of finishing when they get a chance (which would be where Washington only fits 50% of those requirements).  Imagine 3 strikers, who can run about like Conor did but who can also finish.  Hard to find admittedly but I think that's the dream here.

Safe to say they are working hard on a number of fronts and have a number of options to be looking at in each position.  Garner has no doubt had his say on this too.

It will all take time but i'm excited for a new season after a few disappointing years.  The infrastructure is going the right way - now we just need to get the front of house in order and I'm looking forward to the journey. 
    Very good post!! And agree with it all. Hopefully we can get the players in that are required to play the style! No doubt, there will be a few players we have never heard, that will come in as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Good point by Swisdom. Explains my thoughts too and how I am sure we are more further along with targets and key conversations with those targets than people realise.

I would love for Sarr and Williams to come back, think they would be ideal for the way we will play. We would lose Williams for the World Cup so would have to be mindful of that if he is to return. I think goals coming from midfield is going to be really important too and if we can bring in a midfielder who has a track record of that it would really benefit us. We massively lacked it last season.

We are only the middle of June and things take time with many factors involved before a player eventually signs, but they’re also not stupid because players don’t want their futures sorted too late. They’ll know the importance of a pre season so I hope we bring in a couple before they fly to Spain next week, and maybe at least a couple more by the start of July.
  • Sage said:
    Good point by Swisdom. Explains my thoughts too and how I am sure we are more further along with targets and key conversations with those targets than people realise.

I would love for Sarr and Williams to come back, think they would be ideal for the way we will play. We would lose Williams for the World Cup so would have to be mindful of that if he is to return. I think goals coming from midfield is going to be really important too and if we can bring in a midfielder who has a track record of that it would really benefit us. We massively lacked it last season.

We are only the middle of June and things take time with many factors involved before a player eventually signs, but they’re also not stupid because players don’t want their futures sorted too late. They’ll know the importance of a pre season so I hope we bring in a couple before they fly to Spain next week, and maybe at least a couple more by the start of July.
    We would also effectively lose Williams for several months before the World Cup! A once in a lifetime experience for most of the Welsh players, they won't want to get injured and miss out
  • Sage said:

This is important for me. I’m not expecting a full squad by the start of pre season at all, but if we can get at least two strong signings in, who are likely to be first team, it will make me feel better that things are moving along. 
  • Would be nice to sign a player who hasn’t played for us before, and isn’t done on the cheap. Would also be nice to get this bloody preseason up and running soon. There has been a lot of mixed feelings about Saandgard over the past few months. The next 4 weeks will be crucial not only to our season, but to how supporters see the owner. Another fudged and cheap pre season would be a disaster. A couple of decent loans also crucial. Good luck Garner. 
  • Sage said:

We would also effectively lose Williams for several months before the World Cup! A once in a lifetime experience for most of the Welsh players, they won't want to get injured and miss out
    He also will want to ensure he’s part of the squad so playing well will be needed. The Welsh attack and attacking midfield is probably their strongest aspect right now. He won’t want to miss out so his form will play a part.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

He also will want to ensure he’s part of the squad so playing well will be needed. The Welsh attack and attacking midfield is probably their strongest aspect right now. He won’t want to miss out so his form will play a part.
    Gunter never had that problem. 
  • Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

That’s sentimental and because their defence is not their strongest area. It’s different for Williams and other players.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    swordfish said:
    To those saying that no lessons have been learned, I'm sure TS realizes that the cluster of late signings last year, mostly the loans ones, didn't work out and he doesn't want to see the same thing happen again. 

He has revised the recruitment system, but as SG has explained, the process this year got delayed because targets identified needed approval from the new manager

Taking so long to appoint him was also explained because it was us who made the approach to Swindon, so it had to wait until after the play offs as he was still under contract with them.

TS has also recently said he expects most business to be concluded towards the end of the transfer window due to market conditions and agents demands, which is his acceptance of reality based on past experience.

It's not ideal and he doesn't want that, but in any two party negotiation, he can only exercise so much control.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else and am eagerly anticipating new arrivals, of which I think we'll see couple this week or next, but I've resigned myself to the fact that there may only be 3 or 4 new names on the team sheet when the season kicks off.

If so, it won't be because lessons haven't been learned, but because despite our best efforts to change the end result, we failed the test again. However, we haven't yet though and I've still got my fingers crossed that we won't 🤞
    3 or 4???!
    We won't have a team!
    Arguably our best game last year, Sunderland away. 9 of the squad that day are still here plus AMB, Chuks, Innis, Fraser, Kirk & JFC. Are you saying that with  3 or 4 more we won't have a team than can hold it's own come opening day?
  • edited June 2022
    So what we're saying is we could be playing with something like this if we get Sarr & Williams (left JFC at LB as no other fit option as I understand it, same for Clare at RB):

M.Brewer
    Clare - Inniss - Sarr - F.Caskey
    Dobson
    Fraser - Williams 
    B.Taylor - Stockley - Jaiyesimi 

Can't say that without better defensive options that I am confident in that side, but can see how the attacking side could work (If only we had Wash instead of Stockley up top)
  • Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

That’s sentimental and because their defence is not their strongest area. It’s different for Williams and other players.
    Wasn't Levitt still getting into their squads when he was with us? May be wrong as it's not really something I follow. 
  • Maybe if we sign zero players this summer, we might break even, but we probably will get relegated, just want the right character and ability, not people doing us a favour clogging up the wage bill.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

Wales seem to operate like a club side, hence once you're in you tend to stay in and vice versa

Williams  playing in L2, in the squad every time
    Tom Lawrence, captaining Derby in the Championship, not been in the Wales squad since Match 2021
  • edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    supaclive said:
    swordfish said:

3 or 4???!
    We won't have a team!
    Arguably our best game last year, Sunderland away. 9 of the squad that day are still here plus AMB, Chuks, Innis, Fraser, Kirk & JFC. Are you saying that with  3 or 4 more we won't have a team than can hold it's own come opening day?
    Or put another way over half of the starting 11 that day are no longer here
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I have absolutely nothing to back this up with, but I have a strong feeling we are going to announce at least one player today, maybe two ;)
    Thanks Colin