Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited June 2022
    Brannagan is surely going to the Championship, he's different gravy
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    The thing is. Reed would be the only player we’ve signed off of them, and it makes total sense to pick the best players from the previous managers club who know what he wants and how he wants to play.
    Agree with you, but it is funny how we've bigged up our data-driven scouting, talked about our list of 357 transfer targets, and then just raided Swindon.
    If you believe, and it is a big if, how much Thomas is driven by attacking, possession, high pressed football and data, you would highlight most of last seasons Swindon team somewhere on your depth charts of potential signings.  Wouldn't you?

It wouldn't take a genius to work that out, join the dots, and just appoint the person that was, partly, responsible for it. Hope that he could do it again?
    To an extent, as after all they were playing in a division below us, therefore they are "in general" going to be more L2 standard than L1 standard, let alone L1 promotion team standard. There's a reason why players are at a certain level.

Of course there will be hidden gems amongst the L2 teams, and players on the up.
    Agreed generally, however. Wollacott is a bit of a risk as he is inexperienced and it’s just one decent season. Egbo is too but had the potential, not like he’s a 30 year old who has hung round league 2 for a decade. Reed played in League 1 young, had to step down to play more regularly but shouldn’t have hit his prime yet. McKirdy would be a risk but Payne has only had one season in the League 2 (since he was a young 20 year old). Twice previously he’s scored a decent amount of goals in League 1. 

I don’t want all of Swindon’s team but I can easily see a case for Reed, Payne and McKirdy. Let’s not forget it wasn’t their attacking play that cost them promotion. They were probably only a defender away from promotion and I also reckon they’d have gone up had they kept Simpson all season. We can get promoted with 4/5 of their players, they’re just unlikely to be as good for us as they were last season. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    The thing is. Reed would be the only player we’ve signed off of them, and it makes total sense to pick the best players from the previous managers club who know what he wants and how he wants to play.
    Agree with you, but it is funny how we've bigged up our data-driven scouting, talked about our list of 357 transfer targets, and then just raided Swindon.
    If you believe, and it is a big if, how much Thomas is driven by attacking, possession, high pressed football and data, you would highlight most of last seasons Swindon team somewhere on your depth charts of potential signings.  Wouldn't you?

It wouldn't take a genius to work that out, join the dots, and just appoint the person that was, partly, responsible for it. Hope that he could do it again?
    To an extent, as after all they were playing in a division below us, therefore they are "in general" going to be more L2 standard than L1 standard, let alone L1 promotion team standard. There's a reason why players are at a certain level.

Of course there will be hidden gems amongst the L2 teams, and players on the up.
    Agreed generally, however. Wollacott is a bit of a risk as he is inexperienced and it’s just one decent season. Egbo is too but had the potential, not like he’s a 30 year old who has hung round league 2 for a decade. Reed played in League 1 young, had to step down to play more regularly but shouldn’t have hit his prime yet. McKirdy would be a risk but Payne has only had one season in the League 2 (since he was a young 20 year old). Twice previously he’s scored a decent amount of goals in League 1. 

I don’t want all of Swindon’s team but I can easily see a case for Reed, Payne and McKirdy. Let’s not forget it wasn’t their attacking play that cost them promotion. They were probably only a defender away from promotion and I also reckon they’d have gone up had they kept Simpson all season. We can get promoted with 4/5 of their players, they’re just unlikely to be as good for us as they were last season. 
    A good L2 side (e.g. Cheltenham) can stabilise in L1 next season with a solid mid table finish. Which is where we finished ourselves

My concern is whether the better Swindon players - not including Egbo who was only there as a short term signing - are anything more than solid L1 players, rather than the ones needed to be batting it out for automatic promotion.
  • Just had this from my Swindon supporting mate 😂😭
    Then tell him we haven't stolen ANY of their players. Both were out of contract. They no more played for Swindon than they did Liverpool. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    RC_CAFC said:

A good L2 side (e.g. Cheltenham) can stabilise in L1 next season with a solid mid table finish. Which is where we finished ourselves

My concern is whether the better Swindon players - not including Egbo who was only there as a short term signing - are anything more than solid L1 players, rather than the ones needed to be batting it out for automatic promotion.
    No I totally agree, they're all a risk, could go one way or the other. Wollacott clearly plays the way Garner wants but a keeper is there to stop us conceding goals too. If we've got AMB or Mac as competition, on paper we've got 2 decent keepers. I'd like another RB if Egbo doesn't work out. Payne I'd sign but I see him exactly the same as Fraser. Left-footed, gets on the ball and can chip in with goals. Perfect signing for competition, not sure they can work in the same team. Reed as competition for Dobson too makes sense. I wouldn't want to go into the season with McKirdy, DJ, Kirk and CBT as our 4 wingers, but if we could offload DJ/Kirk and sign another main one then that suddenly looks quite exciting. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    redbuttle said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Not sure how true this is, but it is rumoured that Jason Euell has left.the club, 
    Dansk_Red said: 

Nailed on back to Wimbledon with Jacko, they love him there
    I doubt it
    Don't think he gets on with JJ

That rumour sucks.
    In a competitive sports environment there are disagreements but I just don't see how two guys like JJ and Jason would've anything other that a good professional working relationship.  

I don't feel Jason wants to be number 2 to Jackson again but that's because he is ready to be the boss, decide Tatics and formations. He will get a job somewhere in the national League even if he has to go to National League North or South. Well respected in the England set up along with Chris Powell and amoungs the young coaches I know, many who are black, have only good things to say about Jason when they have met on courses or charity matches.

It's no worse than the suggestion that everyone was best buddies and the whole gang would go to the, well, crazy gang.  Pearce, Washington, Euell even seen Gilbey mentioned.

If everyone was best buddies they would probably still all be here. 

Gareth Barry said when he was at Man City, players were at each other in training and many a pushing and shoving took place. At Villa it was less intensity and fewer scraps on the training ground.

If your contact has told you different then fine but I still say JJ and Jason would've had a decent working relationship even thou I don't believe they would go drinking together.

Team spirit is a weird concept because it's funny that it's good when you are on a winning run and then it's poor when you are on a losing run. Football is a results business and always will be. Can never be completely stable.

Cole and Sheringhan only made up recently after never getting on after Teddy upset Andy/Andrew by not wishing him luck when replacing him as a sub for England. Everyone knew that because it was real and neither denied it.
    Yet another Swindon link. Getting silly now...
  • RedRobin said:
    Being the right sad act that I am, I watched every goal scored by Swindon last season on YouTube and I must say the stand out player for me was their number 10, Jack Payne. Scored some absolute worldies and has a wand of a left foot. I know he’s a free agent so wouldn’t cost a fee and looked a class above. Reed and McKirdy also very good. 
    That is not sad at all mate, cracking effort. 

Payne is definitely a player I would take, obviously our fans won’t be happy though if we keep signing Swindon players. 

There was 6 that would have been welcome additions to the squad, we have already added 2, I would genuinely be happy with them all

my main concern would be the dressing rooms atmosphere though, would it be too Swindon based if that makes sense? 

Getting a new manager and letting him bring in 1 or 2 players who he is familiar with is one thing, bring half your old starting XI is another. 
  • Is Louis Reed the more defensive of their midfield?  If so that’s great we’ve no alternative to Dobson.  That’ll be midfield complete unless one of them goes I reckon.  Left back(s) and winger needed next. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    I don't get the laughable, bonkers comments re Swindon players, we have signed two players out of contract, who the manager knows and trusts, surely a positive...
    Agreed, we’ve the most qualified guy recruiting from Swindon what he thinks are the best players he managed last season.  

You could quite easily nick the best players from most league two sides and it’ll improve a league one squad.  And what’s to say the ones he recruits go straight into the XI anyway.  
  • Shame we didn't poach Guardiola really.
  • edited June 2022
    RedRobin said:
    Being the right sad act that I am, I watched every goal scored by Swindon last season on YouTube and I must say the stand out player for me was their number 10, Jack Payne. Scored some absolute worldies and has a wand of a left foot. I know he’s a free agent so wouldn’t cost a fee and looked a class above. Reed and McKirdy also very good. 

Payne is definitely a player I would take, obviously our fans won’t be happy though if we keep signing Swindon players. 

There was 6 that would have been welcome additions to the squad, we have already added 2, I would genuinely be happy with them all

my main concern would be the dressing rooms atmosphere though, would it be too Swindon based if that makes sense? 

Getting a new manager and letting him bring in 1 or 2 players who he is familiar with is one thing, bring half your old starting XI is another. 
    Haha thanks mate, I think he would be a great signing. Would defo improve our midfield and be a better replacement for Lee. Midfield options of Fraser, Dobson, Reed and Payne with Gilbey and Morgan would be decent. 

• RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:

Haha thanks mate, I think he would be a great signing. Would defo improve our midfield and be a better replacement for Lee. Midfield options of Fraser, Dobson, Reed and Payne with Gilbey and Morgan would be decent. 

Not sure what 
    In an ideal world we would loan out Albie, bosh off Gilbey, even if it just meant another club inheriting his contract, sign up Reed, Payne and make Camara our ‘marquee’ signing. Gives us midfield options of those 3 plus JFC, Dobbo and Fraser. People will think it’s unrealistic but it’s a long old season and other teams (Ipswich, Wednesday and Peterborough in particular) that that kind of quality in squad depth. If we are going to compete for the title that’s the kind of team we need to be looking at 
  • Scoham said:
    Is Louis Reed the more defensive of their midfield?  If so that’s great we’ve no alternative to Dobson.  That’ll be midfield complete unless one of them goes I reckon.  Left back(s) and winger needed next. 
    I’d still like to see a goal scoring CM come in. Wouldn’t be surprising to see Gilbey and/or Morgan moved on to make room.

I believe Reed is their deepest CM, more of a playmaker than a ball winner (as you’d expect to see in a possession side).
    This, I'd compare Reed to JFC rather than Dobson so it would be a good signing especially considering JFC's injury record. 

Another midfielder to chip in with goals is needed though, unless we're going to have a front 3 that's going to score 60 goals between them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    I don't get the laughable, bonkers comments re Swindon players, we have signed two players out of contract, who the manager knows and trusts, surely a positive...
    You just know though that Garner cant afford a slow start because of this - Can imagine already a few fans will question why we're signing players from League Two when they didn't get promoted. 

And any slow start will be down to that Recruitment... Regardless of whether those players are playing poorly or not. 
  • Sage said:
    Midfielder who can put the ball in the back of the net is high on the agenda as well. Just because we haven't heard any names as yet, proven by the three transfers so far, doesn't mean we aren't working on it.

Sandgaard explicitly said during a Q&A before that one of the areas we will be looking at is goals from midfield.

Might not be a signing made soon, but it is something we will bring in.

I think 8 more will come in, including loans. At least 2 will leave.
    I assumed it’s an area we’re working on, was a reply to the suggestion the midfield would be done once we sign Reed.

Any feeling on who could leave?
  • You always have to look at where the goals are in your team. Obviously if you have strikers who get high tallies, it takes some pressure off others. Then you look at your midfield and even centre halves. To me it is a football basic although I have seen some senior managers who don't seem to understand it. The team that kicked off last season was seriously deficient in that area.

I think we have some possibilities in midfield with question marks/caveats. We know JFC scores goals and importantly scores different types of goals. I believe Gilbey can get a decent number based on what I see of his game although I know many disagree with me. Fraser showed with MK Dons that he can get a fair number. Clare for me is not a goal scorer and Dobson neither although that is not his role. Morgan is a disapointment as he really needs it in his game but snatches at opportnities. He does get opportunities though so something could click into place.

Innis should get a few if he plays. Lavelle too. I think we bring in a bit more goal threat and it isn't too bad but we are already above where we were last season at this stage. I will be very interested to see how Kanu goes in pre-season. If, and it is a big if, you can find a goalscorer from within that you couldn't afford to buy it really sets up your season. 
  • Redhenry said:
    It’s the law on here.

Dismantle and attack, look for the negatives in EVERYTHING 
  • I'm only tuning in for the Lou Reed jokes 
  • edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS (back by unpopular demand)

Umm.. a tricky one today.. especially now the one I was going to say has just been announced, but here is what I was going to say.

Having suddenly and unexpectedly found himself destitute, TS will be seen walking  the streets of south east London trying to identify an individual he understands goes by the name of 'Captain Cash' from whom he intends to claim a £5 reward. He understands incorrectly and will fail in his venture, but should you bump into him, please take pity on him.

On the player movement front, I'm seeing a trend reversal today with a possible player departure. Clue- high ranking officer embarks on beach donkey riding Enterprise in the north west.(4)

Edit 😥 TOO LATE 

(Captain) Kirk to Blackpool presumably then