Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    The only defenders left to sign are a left-back and maybe a ball-playing LCB, don't think Dunkley fits that brief 
    Needs to be two left backs unless we have someone ready to step up from the academy.
  • edited June 2022
    [Copied from the Wollacott thread]

Potentially another very good signing. I’m not too bothered about the L2 thing, although of course only time will tell how they turn out. 
    I might start getting worried if too many more of the rest of our signings come from the lower leagues however. 
  • Leuth said:
    The only defenders left to sign are a left-back and maybe a ball-playing LCB, don't think Dunkley fits that brief 
    We have 2 fit centre backs, not including Innis. Another x2 CB's needed. 
  • How many Goalkeepers will be going to spain ?
  • I must get myself a Swindon shirt, I hope it is of good quality.
    Anyway, if they can help us get out of this horrible decision that will do for me.
  • NabySarr said:
    If we are playing a high press we will also have a high line. We need our last centre back signing to be quick (and ideally left footed). Otherwise I think we will be hit on the counter a lot next season 
    Looking at their defensive stats last season (worst record in the top 10) Swindon did seem to adopt a policy of 'we don't care if you score 2, because we'll score 3'. 

So i'm fully expecting some see-saw games this season.
  • edited June 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Leuth said:
    I'd have thought Elerewe would get more of a look-in... (Bakrin too?) (Ness?) 
  • How many Goalkeepers will be going to spain ?
    Must be two surely Joe and Mac, what else, they are our two goalkeepers after all...or is that a trick question.. B)
  • Leuth said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Leuth said:
    I'd have thought Elerewe would get more of a look-in... (Bakrin too?) (Ness?) 
    Maybe, could be a shout. Depends on what Gardner thinks about Elerewe's level 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Leuth said:
    I’m including Elewere, he’s highly rated and a year wiser, he’s gotta be thrown in at some point, and even then it’ll only be when there are injuries.
  • edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    In a lot of ways it makes sense but in even more it doesn't.  Would give us the physical domination in both boxes we lack when Inniss is,  permanently, injured.

This is quite a nice read https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/farewell-sergeant-chey-dunkley-the-right-man-at-the-wrong-time-for-sheffield-wednesday-3703688
    At the age of 30, a full 7 years younger than Sol Bamba, he's not been offered a new contract, is injury prone and on a hefty wedge (I suspect). He's so 'last year' given our current strategy though and I can't see it myself. However, if there is any truth in it, then perhaps because we're allowed 5 subs now, we'd look to interchange him and Inniss every game at half time. If that is the plan, which I don't believe it is, it's a very high risk one imo.
  • edited June 2022
    DA9 said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't get the laughable, bonkers comments re Swindon players, we have signed two players out of contract, who the manager knows and trusts, surely a positive...
    It’s the law on here.

Dismantle and attack, look for the negatives in EVERYTHING 
    It is better IMO to be neutral until you see the positives. It is wrong to be negative as well, but right to be cautious. That way you avoid people blowing smoke up Southall's backside when it was clear something was wrong for instance. 

Proud to have been alongside you and Lancs lad, Muttley when we worked out Southall as soon as he opened his mouth and the window opened,  even if we were called "bed wetters" regarding the odious Southall. 
    Thomas is hands on which he is entitled to do but as the person who said since Nigel Adkins joined Charlton that managers must have the casting vote on the "committee", felt the same for Jackson and now Garner.

Early days but its important that Ben Garner is in charge of the football and that he has the final say on incoming players when they aren't from Swindon ( out of contract or not)

TS has learnt lessons from last season but the real test is still to come as in my crystal ball l see a lot of draws to start with as players will be unwilling to play a long pass but instead just play a short pass so we retain possession. 
    Without watching Swindon games from start to finish last season what tempo did Swindon play at to create chances ? Plus why did they concede the most goals in the top ten of League 2. Rhetorical question as they obviously had players going forward and caught out in transition would be one reason.

Looking forward to seeing the Garner plan and hope to see more players to implement his strategy.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    In a lot of ways it makes sense but in even more it doesn't.  Would give us the physical domination in both boxes we lack when Inniss is,  permanently, injured.

This is quite a nice read https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/farewell-sergeant-chey-dunkley-the-right-man-at-the-wrong-time-for-sheffield-wednesday-3703688
    Does assume we keep Inniss though. We activated his extension but it doesn't mean if other players more suitable become available we won't pass him on. He cost us nothing and we pay him barely anything, he would be very easy to move in. I feel like replacing an injury prone player with another injury prone player who would cost more in salary doesn't make a lot of sense though
  • RedRobin said:

Payne probably isn't that likely to come to us, we already have Fraser and JFC.  A right footed version would be what we want.
  • edited June 2022
    Payne is a good player and probably shouldn’t have been in League Two in the first place. 

P.S he’s from East London 
  • Scoham said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't get the laughable, bonkers comments re Swindon players, we have signed two players out of contract, who the manager knows and trusts, surely a positive...
    It’s the law on here.

Dismantle and attack, look for the negatives in EVERYTHING 
    It is better IMO to be neutral until you see the positives. It is wrong to be negative as well, but right to be cautious. That way you avoid people blowing smoke up Southall's backside when it was clear something was wrong for instance. 
    The new manager knows the two players we’ve signed, and obviously Marshall,I see nothing wrong with that.
    People claiming we shouldn’t be signing them because they didn’t win the play offs is crazy.
    Such a black and white way of thinking. Win the playoffs = they’re top L2 players, lose the playoffs = they can’t be that good as they’re still in L2.

They were a Josh Davison penalty away from Wembley and 3 points off automatic promotion. It can come down to an error or two made by individual players. And of course within their squad they’ll have a range of ability with their better players the ones we’ve signed or are looking to sign.
    Same logic that presumes just because a player is coming down from a league above... that they are automatically better than players from the league below. 

Only have to look at out loan signings last season  to show that it's absolute bollox.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    Jack Payne was offered to us last season, we weren't interested..
    Probably different now with Garner here, seems the pull of him and new outlook in general could well mean another Swindon link on the cards..
  • So we’re clear.
    Reed the DM
    Payne the CAM
    Barry the LF
    ??
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:

Payne probably isn't that likely to come to us, we already have Fraser and JFC.  A right footed version would be what we want.
    Payne played on the right of their midfield 3 last season. Forster-Caskey has played left and right side of CM before for us so I don’t see that being an issue. Fraser on the left with JFC/Payne on the right will work fine 
  • Leuth said:
    Need more depth than that. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:

Payne played on the right of their midfield 3 last season. Forster-Caskey has played left and right side of CM before for us so I don’t see that being an issue. Fraser on the left with JFC/Payne on the right will work fine 
    Looks like him and Williams did swap about a lot during games and of course you need depth and competition.  Would be a good signing but maybe not a priority.  I still think the real issue is what is the appetite like to actively move players on.
  • So we’re clear.
    Reed the DM
    Payne the CAM
    Barry the LF
    ??
    Cawley said no substance in the rumour we were after Barry.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:

Looks like him and Williams did swap about a lot during games and of course you need depth and competition.  Would be a good signing but maybe not a priority.  I still think the real issue is what is the appetite like to actively move players on.
    Wollacott coming in suggests there’s appetite there. It might come down to knowing that there’s genuine interest in certain players. Maybe we already know we can move CM on.
  • Scoham said:
    So we’re clear.
    Reed the DM
    Payne the CAM
    Barry the LF
    ??
    Cawley said no substance in the rumour we were after Barry.
    Sure, I just wanted to post this for my own reference to be honest.