Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• So, any rumours not involving either current or ex Swindon players, I get the old manager link ups but there is life outside of Wiltshire...ffs
    What rumours were there about O'Connell before he signed? We're obviously keeping pretty good control over leaks at the moment, it doesn't mean we're not looking because certain individuals aren't spouting off to their contacts every five minutes anymore.
  • Scoham said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't get the laughable, bonkers comments re Swindon players, we have signed two players out of contract, who the manager knows and trusts, surely a positive...
    It’s the law on here.

Dismantle and attack, look for the negatives in EVERYTHING 
    It is better IMO to be neutral until you see the positives. It is wrong to be negative as well, but right to be cautious. That way you avoid people blowing smoke up Southall's backside when it was clear something was wrong for instance. 
    The new manager knows the two players we’ve signed, and obviously Marshall,I see nothing wrong with that.
    People claiming we shouldn’t be signing them because they didn’t win the play offs is crazy.
    Such a black and white way of thinking. Win the playoffs = they’re top L2 players, lose the playoffs = they can’t be that good as they’re still in L2.

They were a Josh Davison penalty away from Wembley and 3 points off automatic promotion. It can come down to an error or two made by individual players. And of course within their squad they’ll have a range of ability with their better players the ones we’ve signed or are looking to sign.

Not that I have a problem with signing Swindon's best 11 or any decent league 2 player but..

Devils advocate time:

Our squad last season was considered mid to bottom half table, a squad that was predominantly made up of the players that finished the previous season just outside the playoffs, on goal difference. 

• Scoham said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't get the laughable, bonkers comments re Swindon players, we have signed two players out of contract, who the manager knows and trusts, surely a positive...
    It’s the law on here.

It is better IMO to be neutral until you see the positives. It is wrong to be negative as well, but right to be cautious. That way you avoid people blowing smoke up Southall's backside when it was clear something was wrong for instance. 
    The new manager knows the two players we’ve signed, and obviously Marshall,I see nothing wrong with that.
    People claiming we shouldn’t be signing them because they didn’t win the play offs is crazy.
    Such a black and white way of thinking. Win the playoffs = they’re top L2 players, lose the playoffs = they can’t be that good as they’re still in L2.

They were a Josh Davison penalty away from Wembley and 3 points off automatic promotion. It can come down to an error or two made by individual players. And of course within their squad they’ll have a range of ability with their better players the ones we’ve signed or are looking to sign.

Not that I have a problem with signing Swindon's best 11 or any decent league 2 player but..

Devils advocate time:

Our squad last season was considered mid to bottom half table, a squad that was predominantly made up of the players that finished the previous season just outside the playoffs, on goal difference. 

Good comparison, put Millar, Maatsen, JFC, Aneke and Amos in that Swindon team and they would have got over 100 points.  Put them in ours and we would have probably got on the play offs 😜 
  • Scoham said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Redhenry said:
    It’s the law on here.

Devils advocate time:

It’s those key players that make the biggest difference. Powell had real quality in Yann, Solly and Wiggins supported by plenty of others. Bowyer had Taylor, Bielik, Cullen and Aribo with others backing it up.

Last season’s team lost the five Cafc43v3r mentioned which added goals, pace and quality to our team (even if they weren’t at the level of those I mentioned above).
  • Scoham said:
    Still time for another signing today right? Maybe a free agent from Swindon?
    Swindon fans in Payne once again 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd love McKirdy he seems a right character and a half decent footballer to boot.
  • I'd love McKirdy he seems a right character and a half decent footballer to boot.
    Not this! 
  • McKirdy only has had 1 good season so I hope he’s not an Ajose

hiwever his temperament and playing style sounds a bit like Craig Bellamy…..still yet to decide if that’s a positive or not 😀
  • That accounts a wind up. Though it wouldn't surprise me. Think he's a bit of a basket case and a big risk. 
  • edited June 2022
    I'd love McKirdy he seems a right character and a half decent footballer to boot.
    Not this! 
    I mean you've said you are not sure he will 'fit into the squad' when our current manager who has multiple times in interviews discussed the importance of 'having the right characters' would clearly be the driving force that brought him to the club. 

Indeed I would argue having someone like him is exactly the sort of person we need. A massive complaint last year from many section of fans was how they felt no connection to any of the players, and I imagine McKirdy is the exact sort of person to remedy this, all whilst getting into other clubs heads.

Granted it all depends on if he is talented enough and with MK Dons and Portsmouth apparently in for him then clearly others think he is.  
  • Swisdom said:
    McKirdy only has had 1 good season so I hope he’s not an Ajose

hiwever his temperament and playing style sounds a bit like Craig Bellamy…..still yet to decide if that’s a positive or not 😀
    Didn't Ajose have one good season and also at Swindon  !!!!!!

In fact he was OK there 3 times but not elsewhere. 
    Correct, he is however a very different type of player to Ajose. If he's available at the right price I think he'd be good signing. 
  • Just curious as I've only seen his highlights; apart from the annoying hair, what else does he do that so winds people up, and how do some of you know about these antics?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Paddy7 said:
    Just curious as I've only seen his highlights; apart from the annoying hair, what else does he do that so winds people up, and how do some of you know about these antics?
    Seen a couple of interviews with him and he's a cocky little shit with a chip on his shoulder.

I don't necessarily mind a player with a chip on their shoulder.
  • Paddy7 said:
    Just curious as I've only seen his highlights; apart from the annoying hair, what else does he do that so winds people up, and how do some of you know about these antics?
    A lot of it is acting like a bit of a knob on Instagram and celebrating in front of away fans. Classic stuff
  • Belv said:
    Paddy7 said:
    Seen a couple of interviews with him and he's a cocky little shit with a chip on his shoulder.

And he doesn't mind winding up away fans with his goal celebrations. Personally don't mind a cocky so and so in the team as at least then he's our cocky so and so. Plus Garner would know what he's like as a person and in and around the dressing room so if he's happy then I'm happy.
  • RedRobin said:

He's from London, he knows our manager and some of our players, we'll soon be getting a 2m bonus from Pope's transfer, surely we can edge Sheff Weds out of it?
  • Belv said:
    Paddy7 said:

And he doesn't mind winding up away fans with his goal celebrations. Personally don't mind a cocky so and so in the team as at least then he's our cocky so and so. Plus Garner would know what he's like as a person and in and around the dressing room so if he's happy then I'm happy.
    Agree.

Like all "mavericks" he just wants to be loved, Garner obviously knew how to handle and treat him to get the best out of him.
  • RedRobin said:

He's from London, he knows our manager and some of our players, we'll soon be getting a 2m bonus from Pope's transfer, surely we can edge Sheff Weds out of it?
    You'd hope so, but Sheff Weds are throwing silly money about 
  • Ferryman said:
    I'm only tuning in for the Lou Reed jokes 
    We just keep you hanging on!
    Isn’t that the Supremes?
  • J BLOCK said:
    RedRobin said:

You'd hope so, but Sheff Weds are throwing silly money about 
    Paid nothing yet in transfer fees though. All five signings out of contract.