Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• So are we going 4-3-3 or 3-4-3? 
  • Strongly disagree on DJ.

I see a very technically adept player, two footed and quick who was played out of position and lost confidence. Different class to the likes of Washington, Stockley and Gilbey who are bang average lower league tryers, in my view. 

With the right management, DJ could be very good for us. 

(Cue heated debate entirely unrelated to transfer rumours..).
    Fair points, well put. 
  • We need a waspish striker/goalscorer.
    Wasps GIF - Wasps - Discover  Share GIFs
  • If we are looking for a striker, how about Daniel Udoh from Shrewsbury?swordfish said:
    I'm expecting us to land a relatively bigger fish come the start of the season, a striker, and depending on how high they are as a priority on our target list, I'm expecting us to fend off competition paying a fee to get them. I'm thinking a Stockton or Jephcott (1 year left on his contract) in stature / reputation, but not necessarily either of those particular players.

Then we'll see what Wednesday are made of when it comes to a bidding war. The players they're had so far were all free and we don't know if they were of interest to us. I doubt the two Rotherham lads they got were even on our radar tbh, and they've managed a crafty move there, the dirty, cheating, northern bar stewards. if true they're after Mr Purrington 😺 another freebie.

That is of course, unless Thomas really is skint 😂🤣😂🤣

• edited June 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    So are we going 4-3-3 or 3-4-3? 
    I guess with lots of business to do it’s hard to tell which way we are looking to set up. At the moment with the current squad we have I can’t see us going 3-4-3, so 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 seem far more likely. 
  • Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Watching DJ take on a full-back, he's constantly able to buy himself half a yard to find a cross/pass/time to dribble but his crossing isn't good and like most of our players over the past few seasons, he lacks the football intelligence to do anything with it.

He was the only person to rip Maatsen a new one so I had high hopes. Perhaps there's still a chance but it's make or break.
    His crossing in itself is fine, what impedes it is the fact he's always under pressure when he crosses due to his lack of pace compared to most modern wing-backs (having bought that half a yard, he has to immediately ping it in). Hence why I think he could be tried further inside 
    I think it was @Sage who said he played centrally for Swindon. Would be interesting to see him in that role in a possession side. Wouldn’t expect it to work if we’re pumping the ball in the general direction of Stockley.
    Spoke to him at the sponsors dinner and he said his best position is a number 10 but Bowyer signed him to be a winger.
    It explains why his crossing is poor.
  • Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Watching DJ take on a full-back, he's constantly able to buy himself half a yard to find a cross/pass/time to dribble but his crossing isn't good and like most of our players over the past few seasons, he lacks the football intelligence to do anything with it.

He was the only person to rip Maatsen a new one so I had high hopes. Perhaps there's still a chance but it's make or break.
    His crossing in itself is fine, what impedes it is the fact he's always under pressure when he crosses due to his lack of pace compared to most modern wing-backs (having bought that half a yard, he has to immediately ping it in). Hence why I think he could be tried further inside 
    I think it was @Sage who said he played centrally for Swindon. Would be interesting to see him in that role in a possession side. Wouldn’t expect it to work if we’re pumping the ball in the general direction of Stockley.
    Spoke to him at the sponsors dinner and he said his best position is a number 10 but Bowyer signed him to be a winger.
    Does not seem to have played centrally too often his career though. 
  • Smithy said:
    Shocked at the statement that DJ has ever had an excellent game for us. Better defender than an attacker but he's still not very good at that. Send him back to Swindon as a bargaining chip.
    He was very good at the start of Adkins' tenure. Got to actually play as a winger for once, worked his arse off and won a surprising number of headers. He played quite close to Stockley and stretched play well. There's a reason he and Stockley were the players advertising the new kit, the hope was that after the way he saw out the previous season he'd be key this season. Didn't work out that way but he did alright as a wingback considering he had zero warm up before being thrown into it
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

He hasn’t no, but just means he has played in a lot of different positions where he doesn’t feel they’re his strongest.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

He hasn’t no, but just means he has played in a lot of different positions where he doesn’t feel they’re his strongest.
    Indeed. Though I suppose you would have to argue that multiple managers who have seen him training week in week out, have likely thought he was better suited to be a winger then play central .

That being said will be interesting to see how he does under Garner if he stays. He clearly has some very strong attributes to his game. I’ve been pretty down on the coaching overall the last few seasons, so for me everyone gets a clean slate. 
  • edited June 2022
    Kips said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    I also think DJ could be used more centrally, albeit that position is probably Fraser's initially
    The best thing DJ could be used for is driving Davison to Swindon and remaining there with him.
    Both crap.
    There bolloxed if he has to overtake someone!!😳
    Don’t quite get the hate on DJ. Think he is a decent player. What he isn’t though, and never was, is a wing back!

I’m hoping one of the ‘lessons learnt’ is that square pegs don’t fit in round holes.

Hope if he stays, that people give him a chance next season
    What shape hole does DJ fit in?  18 months on I have no idea. 
    Ask his missus

😎

• Oops. Accidentally opened the DJ thread. 
  • Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

He shouldn’t have signed them.
    should have said he’s best as a 10
  • edited June 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    I also think DJ could be used more centrally, albeit that position is probably Fraser's initially
    The best thing DJ could be used for is driving Davison to Swindon and remaining there with him.
    Both crap.
    Don’t quite get the hate on DJ. Think he is a decent player. What he isn’t though, and never was, is a wing back!

I’m hoping one of the ‘lessons learnt’ is that square pegs don’t fit in round holes.

Agree,  DJ can only go past a player on the right flank on occasions, he is no wing back even though he 'winged' it on a couple of occasions. Like to see if Ben finds a place for our Ex Swindon player !
    Corey Blackett-Taylor can go past people on both sides and down the middle when he nearly scored the goal of the season but his final shot went wide (Pompey ?)  

Any coach worth a light would love to work with CBT. TBF to JJ he did improve him but I wouldn't play him as a wing back as he expends too much energy defensively.
    Both Corey and Chuks are x factor players that we need to use to maximise their abilities. Again just like Chuks, Corey can get really edgy  before games and can wastes nervous energy.  

I agree with my buddy Jayden that if Chuks body and mine are right he would be a Championship top player. Unfortunately after his disappointing spell at Birmingham that is no easy task. 

Looking forward to trying to get non ex Swindon players even though I understand what has taken place recently and we hope the step up is seamless 🤞

• CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:
    DJ was scoring in a 4-3-3 pre season last year. Think he can do well with a possession based style, he's pretty good at holding the ball in tight spots and beating a man (before turning and trying to best him again).

What last season taught us is that he's not able to cover the entire flanks and he's not particularly effective in a counter attacking break style because he's just not a direct player.

Produced one of the highlights of the season with that outside of the boot throughball to Washington. He deserves a chance in the new system that's for sure.
    Plus he's strong and can defend. That, added to his touch and passing, could make him an asset in a style that doesn't require him to outpace his wing-back (if he had pace he'd be a Premier League player)
    I think Dj is half decent, but I think you need to lay off of the drugs
    You need to appreciate just how fine the margins are between different levels of footballer. And pace, for an attacking player, is a HUGE point of difference.

Similarly, if CBT, who has that pace, had more ball control/finishing/technical skill (all of which he has, to a good professional standard!), he'd...well, he wouldn't be here.

Most top-half League One players have some attributes that are Premier League class. It's why they're professionals in England at all. To be a Premier League player, you need LOTS of top-class attributes, a first-class mental game and the ability to understand gameplans and shifting roles instinctively. 
  • edited June 2022
    Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:
    DJ was scoring in a 4-3-3 pre season last year. Think he can do well with a possession based style, he's pretty good at holding the ball in tight spots and beating a man (before turning and trying to best him again).

What last season taught us is that he's not able to cover the entire flanks and he's not particularly effective in a counter attacking break style because he's just not a direct player.

Produced one of the highlights of the season with that outside of the boot throughball to Washington. He deserves a chance in the new system that's for sure.
    Plus he's strong and can defend. That, added to his touch and passing, could make him an asset in a style that doesn't require him to outpace his wing-back (if he had pace he'd be a Premier League player)
    You need to appreciate just how fine the margins are between different levels of footballer. And pace, for an attacking player, is a HUGE point of difference.

Similarly, if CBT, who has that pace, had more ball control/finishing/technical skill (all of which he has, to a good professional standard!), he'd...well, he wouldn't be here.

Most top-half League One players have some attributes that are Premier League class. It's why they're professionals in England at all. To be a Premier League player, you need LOTS of top-class attributes, a first-class mental game and the ability to understand gameplans and shifting roles instinctively. 
    You need to be extremely consistent too. Players go through form of course, but you have to hold consistency in your performances to get anywhere near the first team of a Prem football club and stay there. Id say DJ is missing a lot more than just pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:

You need to be extremely consistent too. Players go through form of course, but you have to hold consistency in your performances to get anywhere near the first team of a Prem football club and stay there. Id say DJ is missing a lot more than just pace.
    All fair. I do think DJ complicates things in attack sometimes, and he doesn't always seem to know when to attack his defender. But there are raw materials to work with that I think would suit a possession style, that's all. Raw materials that certain other people, naming no names, do not have
  • edited June 2022
    paulfox said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Both crap.

Don’t make me a hater!!!, my comment was tongue in cheek, we are aloud to have a laugh on here!!, he’s ok when he decides he wants to be, but doesn’t produce consistently enough.
    Yes, but not out loud. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:

All fair. I do think DJ complicates things in attack sometimes, and he doesn't always seem to know when to attack his defender. But there are raw materials to work with that I think would suit a possession style, that's all. Raw materials that certain other people, naming no names, do not have
    Let’s just call him Alex G.

No, wait, that’s too obvious, let’s say A. Gilbey.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Both crap.

What shape hole does DJ fit in?  18 months on I have no idea. 
    And is that all down to DJ or him being played in lots of different positions by three different coaches?

He was very effective when JJ took over but was too often played on the wrong side.

Good coaches get more out of players.

Let's see how it works for DJ under super Ben

• Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:

He's also 24 now, he's approaching 'peak' levels on paper. 

He's obviously a talented lad no doubt, but I think he would need two very good seasons to get to Champ level first.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:

He's also 24 now, he's approaching 'peak' levels on paper. 

He's obviously a talented lad no doubt, but I think he would need two very good seasons to get to Champ level first.
    Oh I'm not saying he will ever get to the Premier League! His relative lack of pace will forever prevent that unless he somehow gets reinvented as a top-level central midfielder, which would require so much work on tackling, positioning and spatial awareness as to be nigh-on impossible. I'm saying why he's a good player despite not having quite the attributes of a top player
  • edited June 2022
    Leuth said:
    But it does emphasise what a thankless task he had under JJ, forced to pelt it up and down the pitch - absolutely not his strength - and still have energy for extra attacking bursts. You can see why he chose defence first - he had to choose one to favour. He wasn't physically cut out for being a modern wing-back (technically he was), and it wasn't his fault. 

Whether Garner plays wing-backs or full-backs is probably the single most pivotal aspect of the rest of our summer recruitment (assuming Egbo can do either). We'll know soon enough. Ideally we'll sign someone who can do both on the left, and be none the wiser :) (but of course, both he and Egbo will need back-up - poor old DJ again, or...?)
    Last ill say cos this isnt the DJ thread, but yes 100% agree. Totally played out of position and should be further up the pitch where he only has one thing on his mind, causing havoc. Those defensive duties frazzled his mind. Makes me think of the Harry Enfield sketch with the womans brain from Mr Chumny Warner.