Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Lou Reed in the background

No Charles clayden 
  • FAVADDICK said:
    Lou Reed in the background

No Charles clayden 
    Indeed Lou Reed is no Charles Clayden.
  • FAVADDICK said:

No Charles clayden 

What does Charles Clayden have to do with Lou Reed?
  • FAVADDICK said:

No Charles clayden 

Rumour is Charles had a perfect day😬
  • FAVADDICK said:

No Charles clayden 

Have you ever seen them both in the same place at the same time? 
  • Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:
    DJ was scoring in a 4-3-3 pre season last year. Think he can do well with a possession based style, he's pretty good at holding the ball in tight spots and beating a man (before turning and trying to best him again).

What last season taught us is that he's not able to cover the entire flanks and he's not particularly effective in a counter attacking break style because he's just not a direct player.

Produced one of the highlights of the season with that outside of the boot throughball to Washington. He deserves a chance in the new system that's for sure.
    Plus he's strong and can defend. That, added to his touch and passing, could make him an asset in a style that doesn't require him to outpace his wing-back (if he had pace he'd be a Premier League player)
    I think Dj is half decent, but I think you need to lay off of the drugs
    You need to appreciate just how fine the margins are between different levels of footballer. And pace, for an attacking player, is a HUGE point of difference.

Similarly, if CBT, who has that pace, had more ball control/finishing/technical skill (all of which he has, to a good professional standard!), he'd...well, he wouldn't be here.

Most top-half League One players have some attributes that are Premier League class. It's why they're professionals in England at all. To be a Premier League player, you need LOTS of top-class attributes, a first-class mental game and the ability to understand gameplans and shifting roles instinctively. 
    Agreed although I tried making this point about Naby Sarr once, all it achieved was a boost to my LOL count!
  • edited June 2022

The only thing I see in the background is some really shit cars….that’s what happens when you shop in Swindon I guess. 
  • CafcSCP said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Watching DJ take on a full-back, he's constantly able to buy himself half a yard to find a cross/pass/time to dribble but his crossing isn't good and like most of our players over the past few seasons, he lacks the football intelligence to do anything with it.

He was the only person to rip Maatsen a new one so I had high hopes. Perhaps there's still a chance but it's make or break.
    His crossing in itself is fine, what impedes it is the fact he's always under pressure when he crosses due to his lack of pace compared to most modern wing-backs (having bought that half a yard, he has to immediately ping it in). Hence why I think he could be tried further inside 
    I think it was @Sage who said he played centrally for Swindon. Would be interesting to see him in that role in a possession side. Wouldn’t expect it to work if we’re pumping the ball in the general direction of Stockley.
    Spoke to him at the sponsors dinner and he said his best position is a number 10 but Bowyer signed him to be a winger.
    He shouldn’t have signed them.
    should have said he’s best as a 10
    He’s played as a winger before but his best position he feels is as a 10.

Was he ever going to turn down the chance to sign for us on more money, closer to home, when we were going for promotion and he was in a struggling Swindon team? If we gained another point in that season we would have been in the play-offs and then anything can happen. Not saying we would have gone up but you can understand why he joined. Players also believe in their own abilities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Watching DJ take on a full-back, he's constantly able to buy himself half a yard to find a cross/pass/time to dribble but his crossing isn't good and like most of our players over the past few seasons, he lacks the football intelligence to do anything with it.

He was the only person to rip Maatsen a new one so I had high hopes. Perhaps there's still a chance but it's make or break.
    His crossing in itself is fine, what impedes it is the fact he's always under pressure when he crosses due to his lack of pace compared to most modern wing-backs (having bought that half a yard, he has to immediately ping it in). Hence why I think he could be tried further inside 
    I think it was @Sage who said he played centrally for Swindon. Would be interesting to see him in that role in a possession side. Wouldn’t expect it to work if we’re pumping the ball in the general direction of Stockley.
    Spoke to him at the sponsors dinner and he said his best position is a number 10 but Bowyer signed him to be a winger.
    Not another one.  So that’s him and Gilbey not being used correctly based on some views.  He may feel he’s better as a number 10, but as the graphic shared shows, there’s a disconnect between that and the majority of where he’s started.  

He certainly got thrown into Jackson’s 3-5-2 as a wing back which wasn’t him, I’ll give him that, but we’ve had Conor Washington come out and say Gilbey wasn’t used to his strengths, and now DJ not being played to his strengths.  Surely at 24 and 27 players and coaches know how they should be best deployed?

I can completely understand some people may think he’s got more to offer and he came in signed by Bowyer, who left, new manager in Adkins who got the sack and then Jackson played him out of position and we were poor overall last season, but I’m not convinced.  I think we’ve got a very run of the mill player here who very much fitted the bleakness of last season.  With both him and Gilbey, they could make me look stupid and completely turn it round this season and I’ll hold my hands up, but I’d be shocked if they did 
  • cabbles said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

Not another one.  So that’s him and Gilbey not being used correctly based on some views.  He may feel he’s better as a number 10, but as the graphic shared shows, there’s a disconnect between that and the majority of where he’s started.  

He certainly got thrown into Jackson’s 3-5-2 as a wing back which wasn’t him, I’ll give him that, but we’ve had Conor Washington come out and say Gilbey wasn’t used to his strengths, and now DJ not being played to his strengths.  Surely at 24 and 27 players and coaches know how they should be best deployed?

I can completely understand some people may think he’s got more to offer and he came in signed by Bowyer, who left, new manager in Adkins who got the sack and then Jackson played him out of position and we were poor overall last season, but I’m not convinced.  I think we’ve got a very run of the mill player here who very much fitted the bleakness of last season.  With both him and Gilbey, they could make me look stupid and completely turn it round this season and I’ll hold my hands up, but I’d be shocked if they did 
    To be fair, he didn’t make any excuses at all. Just said he feels that is his best position when it came up in conversation after being asked about the wing-back role.
  • PS O'Connell using his left foot there. Being comfortable on the ball with both feet has to be an asset.

Sister Clay
  • PS O'Connell using his left foot there. Being comfortable on the ball with both feet has to be an asset.
    Christ, I’m well out of touch - thought it was Fraser.
    Just depends what happened next. 

Either he controlled it like Leo Messi, or he's just chased after it, and couldn't control a bag of cement. 
  • edited June 2022

• Any truth in the rumour that the Magic Roundabout is going to get moved to the Woolwich Road / Tunnel Avenue junction?
  • cabbles said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

Sometimes it's not possible to have every player in their best role, its about setting up the team in the best way. The 3-5-2 got a lot of stick but I still think it was necessary due to how bad our defence was and would have been again when playing any other formation. It may have stifled DJ and Gilbey but then it also suited Stockley, Washington, Dobson, Clare and Pearce. If we switch to a 4-3-3 it may suit Gilbey and DJ better, but then might not suit others like Stockley. Ideally you build a squad where every player is in their best role which is what we are trying to do now, but that's only possible with at least one summer window maybe 2 
  • Sage said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:

He shouldn’t have signed them.
    should have said he’s best as a 10
    He’s played as a winger before but his best position he feels is as a 10.

Was he ever going to turn down the chance to sign for us on more money, closer to home, when we were going for promotion and he was in a struggling Swindon team? If we gained another point in that season we would have been in the play-offs and then anything can happen. Not saying we would have gone up but you can understand why he joined. Players also believe in their own abilities.
    He played down the middle for half an hour or so in a home game under Adkins. Definitely looked better there. I'd give him a shot there because he's been completely unimpressive out wide 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:
    DJ was scoring in a 4-3-3 pre season last year. Think he can do well with a possession based style, he's pretty good at holding the ball in tight spots and beating a man (before turning and trying to best him again).

What last season taught us is that he's not able to cover the entire flanks and he's not particularly effective in a counter attacking break style because he's just not a direct player.

Produced one of the highlights of the season with that outside of the boot throughball to Washington. He deserves a chance in the new system that's for sure.
    Plus he's strong and can defend. That, added to his touch and passing, could make him an asset in a style that doesn't require him to outpace his wing-back (if he had pace he'd be a Premier League player)
    You need to appreciate just how fine the margins are between different levels of footballer. And pace, for an attacking player, is a HUGE point of difference.

Similarly, if CBT, who has that pace, had more ball control/finishing/technical skill (all of which he has, to a good professional standard!), he'd...well, he wouldn't be here.

Most top-half League One players have some attributes that are Premier League class. It's why they're professionals in England at all. To be a Premier League player, you need LOTS of top-class attributes, a first-class mental game and the ability to understand gameplans and shifting roles instinctively. 
    You need to be extremely consistent too. Players go through form of course, but you have to hold consistency in your performances to get anywhere near the first team of a Prem football club and stay there. Id say DJ is missing a lot more than just pace.
    It’s interesting though about consistency because if there is one position that even in the premier league you don’t always see consistency it’s on the wing.

Take Andros Townsend and Alex Iwobi as two examples. On their day they look like world beaters and then on others they’re completely ineffective.

If DJ had CBT’s pace with the ball he would definitely be playing a fair bit higher as he is far more skilful than CBT.
  • paulfox said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    I also think DJ could be used more centrally, albeit that position is probably Fraser's initially
    The best thing DJ could be used for is driving Davison to Swindon and remaining there with him.
    Both crap.
    There bolloxed if he has to overtake someone!!😳
    Don’t quite get the hate on DJ. Think he is a decent player. What he isn’t though, and never was, is a wing back!

I’m hoping one of the ‘lessons learnt’ is that square pegs don’t fit in round holes.

Hope if he stays, that people give him a chance next season
    Don’t make me a hater!!!, my comment was tongue in cheek, we are aloud to have a laugh on here!!, he’s ok when he decides he wants to be, but doesn’t produce consistently enough.
    Please don’t shout.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:

You need to be extremely consistent too. Players go through form of course, but you have to hold consistency in your performances to get anywhere near the first team of a Prem football club and stay there. Id say DJ is missing a lot more than just pace.
    It’s interesting though about consistency because if there is one position that even in the premier league you don’t always see consistency it’s on the wing.

Take Andros Townsend and Alex Iwobi as two examples. On their day they look like world beaters and then on others they’re completely ineffective.

If DJ had CBT’s pace with the ball he would definitely be playing a fair bit higher as he is far more skilful than CBT.
    Good post to be fair, can’t disagree with it.
  • Scoham said:
    Another opportunity missed…..we’ve missed out there.
    Maybe they‘ve had a better offer from elsewhere? 

He’s pretty nifty isn’t he, able to text while practicing ball skills.
    Very good 👏🏻 
  • seth plum said:
    I always seem to think that DJ has to beat a man three times before he realises he has beaten a man.
    There’s a lot of wingers that play like this imo.  The best example overall for me growing up was Man Utd and Arsenal’s approach to football.  When Wenger first took over, Arsenal had some great players, capable of really threatening Man Utd’s dominance.  They played possession football and not only tried to score goals, do it in a manner that often involved many passes not unlike the situation you mention.  Man Utd I felt took the opposite approach.  They were still capable of brilliant team goals, but they often did it in 4 or 5 passes based on counter attacking as opposed to 20 plus passes like Arsenal.

As the years went by, regardless of personnel, Arsenal stuck with this in my opinion, arrogant approach.  It started to fail.  Whereas the genius that was Ferguson was adapting his teams to deal with the new style and threats of Chelsea and then Man City.

This is similar to players that just because they have it in their locker to beat someone, doesn’t mean they should do it 3 or 4 times only to have no end product.  I don’t know why it’s a thing with wingers in particular, but for me, there’s nothing more frustrating than watch that arrogance play out as they think they can try and beat someone 3 times.  Only elite players can show that sort of talent and I do mean elite.  Not any of the players we’re likely to attract.

Remember how effective Delap’s throws were for Stoke.  There was no showboating with that tactic - I think a lot of modern wingers would do well to learn from that mindset or work on their delivery like Beckham did.  All he needed was a half a yard to wrap his foot around the ball and cross it, he didn’t need to beat a player