Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• If we get Dunkley, and Sheff We'd get Purrington, who has done the better business?

More importantly, who's not going.... on a jet plane..... the destination of which... just might be Spain?

We need 👀's on the ground reporting please! I'm guessing Kirk won't be.
  • Lou Reed in the background

He’s pretty nifty isn’t he, able to text while practicing ball skills.
    Very good 👏🏻 
  • An experienced player who’s had 3 years in the Championship, most recently played for a massive L1 club and has no connection to Swindon… can’t be true!

Not played a lot in the last couple of years, anyone know if that’s due to injuries? Thought I saw injury problems talked about when he was mentioned on here before.

If it happens it’ll be interesting to see who partners O’Connell. All four are right footed so no obvious partner in that way. From what I remember Dunkley has always looked strong and a threat attacking set pieces so could be a good alternative to Inniss, we do miss that when he’s out. Wikipedia shows he usually gets a few goals across a season.
  • Scoham said:
    Charles Clayden should get a theatrical agent for all the double work he’s missing out on. 
  • swordfish said:
    If we get Dunkley, and Sheff We'd get Purrington, who has done the better business?
    The team that finishes higher in the League table ;)
  • Sage said:
    Another one who was on my list from the out of contract players thread I started a while back. Would be very happy with Dunkley and we could expect to score a few goals from set-pieces too when he’s in the side.

Would suggest that a back 3 is on the cards too, Dunkley, Inniss, Lavelle, O’Connell all either prefer the back 3 or they have played in that formation before. Could mean Clare is also seen as a defender again or we go back to Naby’s agent to say let’s sit down and get this down realistically, and I think the defence would only be missing the left sided wing back. 
    Four is the minimum number of senior CBS we should have regardless of formation. Garner’s used a back three and a back four at Swindon so will be interesting to see what he initially starts with.

Which of them prefer a back three? Would mean one of them playing on the left unless we can also bring in Naby or another left footer.

I think someone said Ness is left footed and getting a new two year deal suggests he should be pushing for the first team. Along with Deji good to have a couple who could progress but without the expectations of being considered one of the four senior CBs.
  • edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    An experienced player who’s had 3 years in the Championship, most recently played for a massive L1 club and has no connection to Swindon… can’t be true!

Not played a lot in the last couple of years, anyone know if that’s due to injuries? Thought I saw injury problems talked about when he was mentioned on here before.

If it happens it’ll be interesting to see who partners O’Connell. All four are right footed so no obvious partner in that way. From what I remember Dunkley has always looked strong and a threat attacking set pieces so could be a good alternative to Inniss, we do miss that when he’s out. Wikipedia shows he usually gets a few goals across a season.
    He seems to be similar to JFC in that he's not "injury prone" in the same way as Inniss who is in and out of treatment on a monthly basis but does seem to have had a very poor run of luck over a couple of seasons.

Whether he's actually ready to play regularly again is a big question, it seems Wednesday think not and it would be a gamble on our part IMO as we already have Inniss' fitness to manage in defence.
  • DJ was scoring in a 4-3-3 pre season last year. Think he can do well with a possession based style, he's pretty good at holding the ball in tight spots and beating a man (before turning and trying to best him again).

What last season taught us is that he's not able to cover the entire flanks and he's not particularly effective in a counter attacking break style because he's just not a direct player.

Produced one of the highlights of the season with that outside of the boot throughball to Washington. He deserves a chance in the new system that's for sure.
    More infamous for his wildly inaccurate hit and hope crosses. Id move him on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Can hear the away support next season singing

"Are you Swindon in disguise"
  • edited June 2022
    PS O'Connell using his left foot there. Being comfortable on the ball with both feet has to be an asset.
    Christ, I’m well out of touch - thought it was Fraser.
    Definitely out of touch, if those cars are shit you wouldn’t want to see what I’m using for work!! Carsnob!!😂

edit: I’ve written cars nob accidentally without the k, just thought I’d clarify that. Seen a few knobs driving cars, not cars with a knobs🤣
  • Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    Another one who was on my list from the out of contract players thread I started a while back. Would be very happy with Dunkley and we could expect to score a few goals from set-pieces too when he’s in the side.

Would suggest that a back 3 is on the cards too, Dunkley, Inniss, Lavelle, O’Connell all either prefer the back 3 or they have played in that formation before. Could mean Clare is also seen as a defender again or we go back to Naby’s agent to say let’s sit down and get this down realistically, and I think the defence would only be missing the left sided wing back. 
    Four is the minimum number of senior CBS we should have regardless of formation. Garner’s used a back three and a back four at Swindon so will be interesting to see what he initially starts with.

Which of them prefer a back three? Would mean one of them playing on the left unless we can also bring in Naby or another left footer.

I think someone said Ness is left footed and getting a new two year deal suggests he should be pushing for the first team. Along with Deji good to have a couple who could progress but without the expectations of being considered one of the four senior CBs.
    O’Connell definitely prefers a back 3, the centre of the 3 as well. Dunkley has played large amount of football in a 3 and have just looked and found he has played at left centre back when in a 3. Inniss could play there as seen against Norwich. Either way, would be interesting and would love Naby to come back. Think the defence would start to take shape very nicely and be strong in both boxes.
  • paulfox said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    I also think DJ could be used more centrally, albeit that position is probably Fraser's initially
    The best thing DJ could be used for is driving Davison to Swindon and remaining there with him.
    Both crap.
    There bolloxed if he has to overtake someone!!😳
    Don’t quite get the hate on DJ. Think he is a decent player. What he isn’t though, and never was, is a wing back!

I’m hoping one of the ‘lessons learnt’ is that square pegs don’t fit in round holes.

Hope if he stays, that people give him a chance next season
    Don’t make me a hater!!!, my comment was tongue in cheek, we are aloud to have a laugh on here!!, he’s ok when he decides he wants to be, but doesn’t produce consistently enough.
    Please don’t shout.
    Wow you must have been bored!! Ffs!!, give me a detention. I assume you think I’m a bit thick now? 😂
  • Not a great formation for DJ, CBT and Kirk though so we’ll have a better idea if any of them move on or if we bring in a winger or striker (we’re unlikely to play a poacher as a lone striker for example). Perhaps DJ would play as a 10 in a midfield three but wing back is probably the only role in that formation for CBT.
  • Don’t know what to think about Dunkley. Was immense at Wigan and was always impressed when he played against us. Wednesday fans i know have labelled him a calamity though and are happy to be rid of him.
  • matt88 said:
    Don’t know what to think about Dunkley. Was immense at Wigan and was always impressed when he played against us. Wednesday fans i know have labelled him a calamity though and are happy to be rid of him.
    He has a pretty good goal scoring record for a centre back - 1 every 10 games. I seem to remember he scored 2 in one game against us for wigan. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Leuth said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:
    DJ was scoring in a 4-3-3 pre season last year. Think he can do well with a possession based style, he's pretty good at holding the ball in tight spots and beating a man (before turning and trying to best him again).

What last season taught us is that he's not able to cover the entire flanks and he's not particularly effective in a counter attacking break style because he's just not a direct player.

Produced one of the highlights of the season with that outside of the boot throughball to Washington. He deserves a chance in the new system that's for sure.
    Plus he's strong and can defend. That, added to his touch and passing, could make him an asset in a style that doesn't require him to outpace his wing-back (if he had pace he'd be a Premier League player)
    I think Dj is half decent, but I think you need to lay off of the drugs
    You need to appreciate just how fine the margins are between different levels of footballer. And pace, for an attacking player, is a HUGE point of difference.

Similarly, if CBT, who has that pace, had more ball control/finishing/technical skill (all of which he has, to a good professional standard!), he'd...well, he wouldn't be here.

Most top-half League One players have some attributes that are Premier League class. It's why they're professionals in England at all. To be a Premier League player, you need LOTS of top-class attributes, a first-class mental game and the ability to understand gameplans and shifting roles instinctively. 
    You need to be extremely consistent too. Players go through form of course, but you have to hold consistency in your performances to get anywhere near the first team of a Prem football club and stay there. Id say DJ is missing a lot more than just pace.
    It’s interesting though about consistency because if there is one position that even in the premier league you don’t always see consistency it’s on the wing.

Take Andros Townsend and Alex Iwobi as two examples. On their day they look like world beaters and then on others they’re completely ineffective.

If DJ had CBT’s pace with the ball he would definitely be playing a fair bit higher as he is far more skilful than CBT.
    Iwobi is an interesting example given this conversation. He's one of the most frustrating footballers I've ever seen. He plays as a winger, beats a man and puts in a great cross for an assist, and then is a terrible winger for the next 7 games. He gets a chance at 10 after complaining about how he's a 10 really and is unforgivably bad. He gets put to wingback and has a great game against Fulham and then is terrible again for two months. The only time he's looked consistently decent is when Lampard has shifted him to central midfield. Same with Joelinton bizarrely. They're strong, fast players with football brains, but no actual brains. When it comes to creativity and consistently being a threat to the opposition goal they're a disaster. When they are asked to simplify - get in front of the man, play a simple pass, reset position, get up and down the pitch but don't take responsibility for creating - they're actually very good. You can see their confidence increase through a game as they do 40 minutes of good shuttling, and then suddnely they do play an intelligent line-breaking pass or get into the box. I don't think DJ quite has the build or the on-ball quality to be reinvented as a central midfielder, but then who would have thought Iwobi or Joelinton could either. DJ as a 10 might be worth trying if it fits how Garner wants to play
  • Funky Dunkley.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

O’Connell definitely prefers a back 3, the centre of the 3 as well. Dunkley has played large amount of football in a 3 and have just looked and found he has played at left centre back when in a 3. Inniss could play there as seen against Norwich. Either way, would be interesting and would love Naby to come back. Think the defence would start to take shape very nicely and be strong in both boxes.
    If we got Dunkley, Reed and Sarr and played 3-4-3 I assume it would look something like this with the current players we have.

JoJo/Macca

Lavelle/Clare-O’Connell/Innis-Dunkley/Sarr 

Egbo/Clare-Fraser/JFC-Dobson/Reed-newbie

CBT/DJ-Stockley/Chuks-Kirk/DJ

Would still need to sign at least two players to play on the left, and two to play in attacking positions.

Would Fraser be suited to that position, I just don’t know.

• I mean, normally you'd have to meet him in Berlin, by the wall.
  • edited June 2022
    The problem for wingers is the attributes of defenders. If you rely on pace and the defender is slow they stand off and you are on top. If you try to skill them and they are good defenders it is hard to get past them. I would say in League One pace is a very strong weapon.
  • Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

If we got Dunkley, Reed and Sarr and played 3-4-3 I assume it would look something like this with the current players we have.

JoJo/Macca

Would still need to sign at least two players to play on the left, and two to play in attacking positions.

I don’t think Fraser fits a 3-4-3. I can only really see us playing 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 so that he fits in but maybe Garner is planning for both. Wingers playing wing back wasn’t just a Jackson thing, it’s a trend across the EFL so maybe Garner will continue using DJ and CBT in that way. Don’t really like DJ there and there’s no chance of Kirk playing wing back, but Egbo and CBT as the 2 wing backs could be very good 
  • I’m still expecting 4-3-3 though and if we sign Dunkley I would expect no more centre backs to arrive. Left footed centre backs are at a premium price at the moment due to the popularity of 3 at the back, so maybe it made sense to sign a couple of right footers that are comfortable on the left instead of spending more on a left footed one 
  • matt88 said:
    Don’t know what to think about Dunkley. Was immense at Wigan and was always impressed when he played against us. Wednesday fans i know have labelled him a calamity though and are happy to be rid of him.
    He has a pretty good goal scoring record for a centre back - 1 every 10 games. I seem to remember he scored 2 in one game against us for wigan. 
    He does. Not sure he’d be the greatest fit into Garner’s playing out from the back style though. 

• Dunkley is definitely a top league 1 / lower Championship defender. He’ll add to the threat from corners too. 

I agree he would suit a back 3 more though. 

His fitness record also isn’t amazing, I can’t imagine we’ll often have him and Innis fit at the same time.
    Maybe the hope would be that when one is injured the other is fit :)
  • NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

JoJo/Macca

I don’t think Fraser fits a 3-4-3. I can only really see us playing 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 so that he fits in but maybe Garner is planning for both. Wingers playing wing back wasn’t just a Jackson thing, it’s a trend across the EFL so maybe Garner will continue using DJ and CBT in that way. Don’t really like DJ there and there’s no chance of Kirk playing wing back, but Egbo and CBT as the 2 wing backs could be very good 
    Yeah, I can’t really see 3-4-3 to be honest. I don’t think it really plays to our midfields strengths. 

I think 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 is more likely to be the way we go, especially as it’s clearly a formation TS is keen on, and assume it came up in interview conversations.