Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a few more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
    That's all we have got room for.  The outs will tell us a lot.  If there are 1 or 2 it's obviously not a revolution.

Even disregarding the quality gaps the squad is so unbalanced 
    Yeah that makes total sense. If 2 get moved on then fully expect 4 in.
    👍
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    ButtleJR said:
    That's all we have got room for.  The outs will tell us a lot.  If there are 1 or 2 it's obviously not a revolution.

Even disregarding the quality gaps the squad is so unbalanced 
    Yeah that makes total sense. If 2 get moved on then fully expect 4 in.
    That’s in the ball park of what I’m thinking.
  • Personally I think we will bring another 4 in.  Maybe more if we don’t hit the ground running.  Really can’t see Kirk being at the club much longer. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a couple more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...

Another striker and winger seem the obvious gaps. Left back too if they intend to loan Clayden out.

Still wouldn't surprise me if any of MacGillivray, Morgan, Gilbey, Kirk or Davison move on.

Would guess they see the squad something like this:

GK: Wollacott, MacGillivray

RB: Egbo, Clare
    CB: O'Connell, Lavelle, Inniss, Elerewe
    LB: Sessengnon, Clayden

DM: Dobson, Forster-Caskey
    CM: McGrandles, Fraser, Morgan, Gilbey

W: Jaiyesimi, Blackett-Taylor, Kirk

ST: Stockley, Aneke, Davison
  • Jac_52 said:
    My bet is a left back, striker and winger to come in. Payne would be good but I'm guessing that relies on us being able to move a midfielder on.
    You'd think Payne won't want to wait much longer so he's part of preseason at his new club.
  • ButtleJR said:
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Defensive midfielders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Same sort of figures were bandied about last season & after the strikers the next best was 3 goals.......and that was Purrington. So unless there is a big change in either personnel or tactics I dont see the midfield chipping in with 24 goals !
    Fraser, JFC, Kirk, McGrandles all playing this season that weren’t last season, surely 4 new midfielders counts as big change in personnel?  
    Agree but apart from Fraser I'm not sure I can see the others chipping in many goals between them.
    Kirk more likely to get most from open play (based on history). 

We definitely need another goal scoring midfielder. Whatever we play we are going 3 in the middle. We simply cannot go into the season with 5 of them lacking goals to their game. For me Jack Payne makes so much sense. He’s free, plays the style we will be playing and can play with or replace Fraser. 
  • edited July 2022
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.
    What six teams will have a higher budget?
  • ButtleJR said:
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Let's wait and see. Was told to me "a few" but not in the next few weeks as it stands. Any one that moves on will of course add to that number. I am positive about next season. Think youth will be given a chance too which isn't a bad thing. 
    True, I'm more optimistic this year, sometimes a manager and a philosophy is better than just signing players. That said, it's a huge error in judgement to expect to spend 1/3 of what Derby and Sheffield are on wages/proven players and perform better than them. If Sandgaard does end up exclusively signing lower league/loan players and it doesn't work out, what his gameplan would be next year. I don't think most of the fanbase would stand for it tbh.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    "As it stands" the attacking improvement, on last season, comes from Kirk, Fraser, JFC and Aneke.  Is that enough?

IMO we are now at about the stage we finished the 2020/21 season.
    No but we haven't signed any wingers or strikers yet and I can't see that being the case at the end of the window.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    "As it stands" the attacking improvement, on last season, comes from Kirk, Fraser, JFC and Aneke.  Is that enough?

Gimme a winger of Liam Miller’s quality and I’ll be very very excited for this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

No but we haven't signed any wingers or strikers yet and I can't see that being the case at the end of the window.
    Like I said, as it stands.

IMO we still need at least 5 players, in terms of quality/suitability.

The worst bit is we need a striker, winger and midfielder that have got about 30 goals between them.....
  • I think we still need four more: 

Starting LCB as I don’t feel lavelle or inniss are either good enough to play out from the back

natural LB

a winger to challenge both Kirk and CBT (always gets injured at some point )

2x strikers, Davison is quite simply not good enough to even be considered a 3rd choice back up striker…. If he is, then lord help us  
    Lord help us?

Chill Winston!
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Good take, I agree. 
  • I think we still need four more: 

Starting LCB as I don’t feel lavelle or inniss are either good enough to play out from the back

natural LB

a winger to challenge both Kirk and CBT (always gets injured at some point )

2x strikers, Davison is quite simply not good enough to even be considered a 3rd choice back up striker…. If he is, then lord help us  
    That’s 5 ;) 
  • Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    We’ve just finished mid div.3, what players are we going to get?, would you prefer the pick of possible up and coming lower league or the worst of the championship players? I think the recruitment team have a plan and a budget and seem to be implementing it. So far so good but as I’ve said all along, no final judgement from me until the season starts.
  • Thing is we’re not probably not going to get another full-back, winger and 2 strikers if we’re playing 352. Otherwise we’ve got far too many players down the flank. If it’s 433 we defo need a winger and full back but only 3 strikers. If it’s 352 we probably need 2 new strikers but not a winger. 
  • No idea on how they might line up beyond a vague back 4.
  • Thing is we’re not probably not going to get another full-back, winger and 2 strikers if we’re playing 352. Otherwise we’ve got far too many players down the flank. If it’s 433 we defo need a winger and full back but only 3 strikers. If it’s 352 we probably need 2 new strikers but not a winger. 
    Garner used both at Swindon, hopefully he has a main formation in mind but we're also building a squad to give us good options for playing either.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    No idea on how they might line up beyond a vague back 4.
    I think 352 might be the plan but 433 will be used plenty too. I’d guess who we manage to sign will determine “Plan A”. 
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Thing is we’re not probably not going to get another full-back, winger and 2 strikers if we’re playing 352. Otherwise we’ve got far too many players down the flank. If it’s 433 we defo need a winger and full back but only 3 strikers. If it’s 352 we probably need 2 new strikers but not a winger. 
    Garner used both at Swindon, hopefully he has a main formation in mind but we're also building a squad to give us good options for playing either.
    Agreed but then it’s tough to determine the final squad. You wouldn’t want 4 strikers if 433 is the main formation for instance