Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Still not enough goals. Until that’s addressed we won’t get out of this division.
    Correct.

Even allowing for the 15 'wishful thinking' goals that Aneke will get from the treatment table bench.

Davison is the interesting one.  He's clearly not good enough, and yet Garner fancied him enough last season.

Is that a reflection on Garner's assessment of a player or a feature of the budget he was working with?

I don't know who's out there that we might be able to attract, but a poacher is essential if we are to be serious contenders this season.

Can Bairstow kick a ball?

• paulfox said:
    The fact Kirk played at a higher level last season, if used properly and if he is going to knuckle down with us, he should be an asset to the team. I hope he proves to be better than what we see last season.
    He was hardly a massive success for Blackpool though, 7 starts and 2 sub appearances out of 19 games with 0 goals and 3 assists.
    If he was a massive success he definitely wouldn’t be seen in a Charlton shirt again, the fact he was seen as good enough for the championship should give us hope he has something to offer if he is settled . He was appalling for us and not to make excuses for him, he never settled and it looked like bad timing to come with his personal issues which in anyones book would knock them for six. It’s a fresh start for him and a lot of others so fingers crossed the competition for places will raise the players games.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Still not enough goals. Until that’s addressed we won’t get out of this division.
    Correct.

Even allowing for the 15 'wishful thinking' goals that Aneke will get from the treatment table bench.

Davison is the interesting one.  He's clearly not good enough, and yet Garner fancied him enough last season.

Is that a reflection on Garner's assessment of a player or a feature of the budget he was working with?

I don't know who's out there that we might be able to attract, but a poacher is essential if we are to be serious contenders this season.

Part of Garner's apparent appeal is his willingness/ability to develop and bring through younger players. Maybe he's seen something last season that makes him think he can get another level out of Davison.

I'm not necessarily saying that even if this IS his logic that he's correct to think so mind you, merely speculating. And even if Davison does end up being more integral than currently presumed (for better or worse) we'd still want at least one more striker in as there's a very good chance based on last season that at least one of Aneke and/Stockley will be injured or suspended for parts of the season and some depth is definitely required, preferably an actual upgrade.
  • Squad starting to take shape.
    Still hoping for a wow factor recruit - a Kermogant/ Taylor game changer.
    Up front doesn't thrill me and doesn't look ideal for possession based style.
    Stockley is limited, Chuks is super sub and Davison? Sweet Jesus
    I would be very surprised if we're not looking at other strikers, rumour has it that Marquis for example was indeed on the general radar but vetoed by Garner.

I'd be EQUALLY surprised if a striker isn't one of the last signings we make. Stockley is maybe limited but in his specific role he's good and his goal record holds up. To find and sign a player who is distinctly better but also affordable won't be easy. And we won't be the only ones looking.  

Kermorgant was the fairy dust that turned Powell's squad from a good team into champions. We absolutely need something or someone of that type again, but as with Yann himself I suspect we will be into the season before this player arrives, if he ever does.
  • Hopefully going back to the Theo Foley type football where we just set out to outscore the opposition. 
  • Hopefully going back to the Theo Foley type football where we just set out to outscore the opposition. 
    Tbf being in the champ aside i have always admired peterborough for this always entertaining high scoring games especially at there place for a good few years now
  • Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Defensive midfielders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Same sort of figures were bandied about last season & after the strikers the next best was 3 goals.......and that was Purrington. So unless there is a big change in either personnel or tactics I dont see the midfield chipping in with 24 goals !
    Fraser, JFC, Kirk, McGrandles all playing this season that weren’t last season, surely 4 new midfielders counts as big change in personnel?  
    Hmmm.....I'm sure I saw Fraser, JFC & Kirk out on the pitch last season. No goals sadly though. 

Try again. 
    Have a day off (or at least an hour or two). Was a kick about ffs. Man City went without scoring once 
    What was a kick about ?  I'm talking about last season - 21/22. Those 3 players all appeared in Charlton red during last season and none scored.

Morgan scored once (maybe twice) and Dobbo scored a screamer. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I doubt our midfield scored more than half a dozen between them. 

Woeful. 
    Apologies completely misread your post and thought you said last week. Fraser, JFC and Kirk never played together and their appearances do not total much. 

We only scored 15 less than Rotherham who came second. 
  • Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Same sort of figures were bandied about last season & after the strikers the next best was 3 goals.......and that was Purrington. So unless there is a big change in either personnel or tactics I dont see the midfield chipping in with 24 goals !
    Fraser, JFC, Kirk, McGrandles all playing this season that weren’t last season, surely 4 new midfielders counts as big change in personnel?  
    Hmmm.....I'm sure I saw Fraser, JFC & Kirk out on the pitch last season. No goals sadly though. 

Try again. 
    Have a day off (or at least an hour or two). Was a kick about ffs. Man City went without scoring once 
    Last season was a kick about?
    someone should have said!
    If you’d have watched the games you’d have noticed…
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    That's already a much better squad than the one that started last season, I think some are overlooking "returning" players like JFC and Kirk because they aren't new signings. Adding say 3 more (a few) to that squad and it should be very competitive.
    A good point regarding JFC, if he can get back to anywhere near his previous levels then he should be a great player at this level. Barely featured last season for obvious reasons and is still only 28.

Kirk i'm less convinced of, but there were some promising glimpses in the Kilmarnock friendly and he probably suits the way Garner wants to play.

So if they both click then yes these 2 are effectively 'new' signings for us.
  • I make you right @supaclive however the makings of a competitive squad is forming and with 2-3 more decent additions I think we will be up there. I would hope we buy a decent striker and a couple more defenders. Our midfield is sorted imo
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Still not enough goals. Until that’s addressed we won’t get out of this division.
    Correct.

Why is aneke scoring 15 wishful thinking? He has done it for us before 
  • Do we think he’ll promote anyone from the under 23s? Or anyone has a chance? 

Ive only watched the liverpool final and thought Jeremy Santos was a decent looking midfielder. Leaburn has to start banging them in sooner or later lol. 
  • edited July 2022
    AndyG said:
    I make you right @supaclive however the makings of a competitive squad is forming and with 2-3 more decent additions I think we will be up there. I would hope we buy a decent striker and a couple more defenders. Our midfield is sorted imo
    No goals from that midfield, need an attacking CM and a better winger. 
    The attacking MF's underperformed last season and lacked confidence. Playing to a more progressive system, I expect to see a bigger return from them, unless the coaches don't work more with them on creating chances and improving their finishing, but I'm sure they will.

A striker to partner Stockley must be the priority now, with others in after that determined by future outgoings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have to say I’m personally not on board with the not sure where the goals are coming from crowd. On the main it’s because it’s been a long time since we have had a manager and coaching set up which has been this focused and positive on having attacking intent. 

Always going to be hard to score goals when you play a turgid one dimensional brand of football which is overly reliant on one player (CBT) to do any of the attacking. 

We already have a progressive CB and attacking full backs signed for one, which I think will make a massive difference to how our midfield can link up attacks. 

Now don’t get me wrong I’d like to see another quality striker and winger come in at the very least. But my hope is that BenBall will have the same effect on Charlton that BazBall has had on the England cricket team.
    Exactly this. It's hard to score when your plan is to pass sideways and backwards and then smash it up field hoping that the opposition might make a mistake
    And we ended up mid table in the 3rd division , where we are now.
  • edited July 2022
    Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Try again. 
    Between the four of them there was 184 league games, they played what, 12 between em?  And many of them weren’t starts and most of the time they weren’t even available for us.  

You can count them if you want to make some petulant point, but the adults in the debate understand they are practically new signings.  
  • swordfish said:
    Have to say I’m personally not on board with the not sure where the goals are coming from crowd. On the main it’s because it’s been a long time since we have had a manager and coaching set up which has been this focused and positive on having attacking intent. 

Always going to be hard to score goals when you play a turgid one dimensional brand of football which is overly reliant on one player (CBT) to do any of the attacking. 

We already have a progressive CB and attacking full backs signed for one, which I think will make a massive difference to how our midfield can link up attacks. 

Now don’t get me wrong I’d like to see another quality striker and winger come in at the very least. But my hope is that BenBall will have the same effect on Charlton that BazBall has had on the England cricket team.
    Scott Fraser alone bagged 14 for MKD in 2020/21 so he's a proven goal scorer at this level. 
    His other seasons at this level though saw him score 6, 5 and 1.

I'm not quite sure he can be classed as a proven goalscorer, more that was just a very good season in a side playing a way that suited him. I'd personally be happy if we can get 7-8 goals from him.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    "As it stands" the attacking improvement, on last season, comes from Kirk, Fraser, JFC and Aneke.  Is that enough?

IMO we are now at about the stage we finished the 2020/21 season.
    About where I am, good point.
  • Chunes said:
    Vfrf said:
    Chunes said:
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a few more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.
    What six teams will have a higher budget?
    Sheffield, Derby, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Peteborough, Barnsley. Unless we're planning some pretty(extremely) decent players for the 'few more' incomings.
    What are their budgets?

You might want to have a look at the Portsmouth squad.
    Portsmouth are bang in trouble. Dinosaur manager and owner isn't investing.