Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Defensive midfielders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Same sort of figures were bandied about last season & after the strikers the next best was 3 goals.......and that was Purrington. So unless there is a big change in either personnel or tactics I dont see the midfield chipping in with 24 goals !
    Fraser, JFC, Kirk, McGrandles all playing this season that weren’t last season, surely 4 new midfielders counts as big change in personnel?  
    Agree but apart from Fraser I'm not sure I can see the others chipping in many goals between them.
    Kirk has got 7/8 a season plenty of times, JFC usually hits 5, all counts but agree not expecting double figures.  
  • J BLOCK said:
    We're building a team here lads 
    Agreed .. We need a couple of strikers, send Davison out on loan and a couple of quality prem league youngsters on loan akin to Bielik and Cullen plus a couple of others and bob’s ya uncle
  • _MrDick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Agreed .. We need a couple of strikers, send Davison out on loan and a couple of quality prem league youngsters on loan akin to Bielik and Cullen plus a couple of others and bob’s ya uncle
    Without strikers , I can’t see it improving all that much .
  • wmcf123 said:
    _MrDick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Without strikers , I can’t see it improving all that much .
    Are you the missing "forth brother"?
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’m hearing rumours that this bloke might suddenly become available. 

Great news, I've always been a fan of David Perkins
  • JamesSeed said:

He was always a player I really wished we had signed, the closets we will get is Will Hughes when he is about 37.
  • edited July 2022
    RedRobin said:
    Just an observation but am I the only one that thinks Cawley has some kind of agreement with the club? The last couple of announcements he’s waited for the club to confirm first. 
    Yep... @Henry Irving was right all along eh WIOTFOSFFS... B)
  • Scoham said:
    Barring long injuries and suspensions, we should be able to count on Stockley and Aneke for 25 minimum. Hopefully they both have good seasons and can get closer to 35. We do most definitely need that first choice option who can score 15 himself to play alongside/compete with Jayden, allowing Aneke to be at his most effective off the bench. What this does make me realize is that keeping Davison as a 4th choice option might not be the worst thing in the world if he can chip in with 5 himself.

Midfield is a concern. We'll need 25-30 goals from that area of the pitch. Will Fraser, Kirk, JFC, CBT, McGrandles, Morgan be able to contribute those between them? As a group, I'd be hopeful that Fraser, Kirk, JFC and CBT can get to 20 but at the same time, that feels like a push. A goalscorer here in the Jacko(13)/Aribo(9) mold would be handy... Fraser is the most likely of the current bunch if he can replicate his form of a couple years ago but he needs a Hollands (7) or a Reeves (4) alongside him to take some of that goal threat pressure off his shoulders.

Goalscoring defenders are the least of my worries with this team. Getting defenders into scoring positions is more on your set pieces and tactical set up. I trust Garner to have that in hand and we should take care of those 5-10 goals comfortably.
    Any stats on how many of Swindon’s goals were from set pieces? Or at least those scored by CBs?

I wouldn’t expect set pieces to be Garner’s focus since he wants a very possession based style.

Lots of goals to be scored from set pieces though. And being able to defend them effectively is important too.

Promotion winning teams are often very good at set pieces. 

• Garner had a dream to build a football team....
    Def and Mid is starting to look very good.
  • Garner had a dream to build a football team....
    Def and Mid is starting to look very good.
    Might need a bit of tinkering with to make this in to a song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Barring long injuries and suspensions, we should be able to count on Stockley and Aneke for 25 minimum. Hopefully they both have good seasons and can get closer to 35. We do most definitely need that first choice option who can score 15 himself to play alongside/compete with Jayden, allowing Aneke to be at his most effective off the bench. What this does make me realize is that keeping Davison as a 4th choice option might not be the worst thing in the world if he can chip in with 5 himself.

Midfield is a concern. We'll need 25-30 goals from that area of the pitch. Will Fraser, Kirk, JFC, CBT, McGrandles, Morgan be able to contribute those between them? As a group, I'd be hopeful that Fraser, Kirk, JFC and CBT can get to 20 but at the same time, that feels like a push. A goalscorer here in the Jacko(13)/Aribo(9) mold would be handy... Fraser is the most likely of the current bunch if he can replicate his form of a couple years ago but he needs a Hollands (7) or a Reeves (4) alongside him to take some of that goal threat pressure off his shoulders.

Goalscoring defenders are the least of my worries with this team. Getting defenders into scoring positions is more on your set pieces and tactical set up. I trust Garner to have that in hand and we should take care of those 5-10 goals comfortably.
    Any stats on how many of Swindon’s goals were from set pieces? Or at least those scored by CBs?

I wouldn’t expect set pieces to be Garner’s focus since he wants a very possession based style.

Lots of goals to be scored from set pieces though. And being able to defend them effectively is important too.

We have got Stockley and Aneke who are decent in a set play but we really need someone to fill the Jackson role of making those later runs from deep to attack a ball or pick up a rebound.

Defensively as well I think it's fair to wonder if we need a Pearce style scrapper who can lump it/header away under physical pressure. I like that O'Connell, Egbo a d Sessegnon are comfortable playing a passing game but sometimes an almighty hoof is absolutely the right thing to do.
  • thenewbie said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

We have got Stockley and Aneke who are decent in a set play but we really need someone to fill the Jackson role of making those later runs from deep to attack a ball or pick up a rebound.

Defensively as well I think it's fair to wonder if we need a Pearce style scrapper who can lump it/header away under physical pressure. I like that O'Connell, Egbo a d Sessegnon are comfortable playing a passing game but sometimes an almighty hoof is absolutely the right thing to do.
    We have two? Maybe one too many if anything? 
  • Martin is doing a great job 👏😉
  • Like, Lavelle, bless him, is quite high up my list of players I wouldn't be sad to see us offload; watching him try to knock it about vs Kilmarnock was extremely un-Garnerball
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

He was always a player I really wished we had signed, the closets we will get is Will Hughes when he is about 37.
    Always like Barnsley Boris too, especially as that nickname was one we created!
  • I'm perhaps more cautious that others here about our new signings, but am looking forward to seeing them at Dartford and Sutton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Quite funny how everytime someone pipes up with a ‘its been 5 days and nothing’ comment we announce someone. People making themselves look silly, great entertainment. 
    I think they were all signed in advance and we're announcing them each time the whinging starts up  :D
  • Folks we are putting together a team here me thinks
  • edited July 2022
    Only expecting a few more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
  • ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a couple more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
    If true then we have no chance.
  • edited July 2022
    ButtleJR said:
    Reallllyyyy 🤨 still need fullbacks a left cb

and deffo another striker at least if not 2

and mayb a winger/ attacking mid …
  • ButtleJR said:
    Think we need double that but let’s see what happens.
    We definitely need more than 2. Good foundation now but still lacking depth in some important positions 
  • ButtleJR said:
    If true then we have no chance.
    I personally don’t think we are as far aware as people think. But I would be very shocked if we just bring two more in when we are so close to getting things right.