Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• As much as I respect the info from buttle jnr let’s not take that as gospel anyway. If this window has taught us anything is that we don’t know what’s gonna happen.
  • edited July 2022
    I remember at the end of last season and very early into this pre-season (I think it was SG) said that we are going to focus on the defence and midfield as a priority.

I think those area's are looking decent now. This is what I suspect we will see happen between now and then end of pre-season.

1-2 players loaned out or sold. (Clayden,Davidson)

We will have to see what happens in the window in regards to Kirk and Gilbey. I think BG may want to keep Morgan around, lets see.

Most likely incomings-
    Loan: cover for FB/CB
    Loan: cover for W/ST
    Loan: CM

And that will be us done.

• edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    No idea on how they might line up beyond a vague back 4.
    Does not feel like we are currently going for a 2 up top, so I’m leaning towards some variant of:

4-3-3
    3-4-2-1

Maybe with a sprinkling of 4-2-3-1 thrown in.
  • I think 4-3-3 is the plan personally, that or 4-2-3-1
  • Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a few more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.

A top six budget doesn’t equal a top six finish (which for me is the minimum requirement this season). We had a top six budget for last 2 seasons, but it didn’t do us much good.

What we need is players that fit the system we play. Garner is doing that…..hopefully.

• As much as I respect the info from buttle jnr let’s not take that as gospel anyway. If this window has taught us anything is that we don’t know what’s gonna happen.
    That actually happened with the JoJo signing I believe. 
  • edited July 2022
    paulfox said:
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.
    We’ve just finished mid div.3, what players are we going to get?, would you prefer the pick of possible up and coming lower league or the worst of the championship players? I think the recruitment team have a plan and a budget and seem to be implementing it. So far so good but as I’ve said all along, no final judgement from me until the season starts.
    Personally I'd like a mixture, I've been slightly optimistic with recruitment because our signings have been half promising league-two players and half proven (albeit lower) L1 players. I fully expected there to be some quality for fees later in the window. That *could* still be the case, I know. But I don't think we're *a few more* away from contending at the top of the table. Especially when you consider the amount we would've paid for our signings, we're massively underspending compared to last year (as we ditched most of our highest paid players).

In terms of being a mid div3 team, true but Derby have been in admin for 8 months and can sign up Mendez-Laing and Barkhauzien - both of whom would walk into our team. I guess my main concern is we're putting a hell of a lot of our ambition on Garner's style of play, something he's never achieved above League Two with players who so far aren't a massive upgrade on last years crop. For us to really be contenders we still need to sign a Cole Stockton level striker, another ball-playing CB, a natural LB and another winger. If we go into the season with Davison one of our three key strikers, it's just not happening.

• I'd be very surprised if the squad that we start the season with is "complete" or entirely balanced. The amount of work that needed to be done even without considering the change in playing style/philosophy under a new boss was never realistically going to be sorted in one window IMO.

I expect there will be some still here who Garner is not particularly enthused by and probably a couple of positions that are relatively weak but I don't see that necessarily as a sign of bad management or that the window was a failure overall. I think we'll be very much closer to a genuine promotion challenge with a few more tweaks in January and maybe some Academy prospects eased in gently over the season.
  • So based on the perception TS is a big American show off I’m expecting to continue with the freebies for a bit, then a big spunking of money on a extravagant signing introduced with a guitar riff and fireworks!!!!…….. or we go with the other angle and don’t do that because he’s skint!!. Or maybe he’s just learning on the job and keeping it low key. 
  • Still need the sparkles. 

A very decent goal scoring striker and a proper CB.  Innis I completely discount, Lavelle is slow and poor on the ball and Elerwre a prospect.

Add a goal scoring midfielder, a LB and ideally another striker.

• Sponsored links:

• That's already a much better squad than the one that started last season, I think some are overlooking "returning" players like JFC and Kirk because they aren't new signings. Adding say 3 more (a few) to that squad and it should be very competitive.
  • Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Defensive midfielders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Same sort of figures were bandied about last season & after the strikers the next best was 3 goals.......and that was Purrington. So unless there is a big change in either personnel or tactics I dont see the midfield chipping in with 24 goals !
    Fraser, JFC, Kirk, McGrandles all playing this season that weren’t last season, surely 4 new midfielders counts as big change in personnel?  
    Hmmm.....I'm sure I saw Fraser, JFC & Kirk out on the pitch last season. No goals sadly though. 

Try again. 
  • Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Same sort of figures were bandied about last season & after the strikers the next best was 3 goals.......and that was Purrington. So unless there is a big change in either personnel or tactics I dont see the midfield chipping in with 24 goals !
    Fraser, JFC, Kirk, McGrandles all playing this season that weren’t last season, surely 4 new midfielders counts as big change in personnel?  
    Hmmm.....I'm sure I saw Fraser, JFC & Kirk out on the pitch last season. No goals sadly though. 

Try again. 
    Have a day off (or at least an hour or two). Was a kick about ffs. Man City went without scoring once 
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a couple more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...

Another striker and winger seem the obvious gaps. Left back too if they intend to loan Clayden out.

Still wouldn't surprise me if any of MacGillivray, Morgan, Gilbey, Kirk or Davison move on.

Would guess they see the squad something like this:

GK: Wollacott, MacGillivray

RB: Egbo, Clare
    CB: O'Connell, Lavelle, Inniss, Elerewe
    LB: Sessengnon, Clayden

DM: Dobson, Forster-Caskey
    CM: McGrandles, Fraser, Morgan, Gilbey

W: Jaiyesimi, Blackett-Taylor, Kirk

ST: Stockley, Aneke, Davison
    We simply can’t go in to a season with those 3 strikers. Can’t rely on Aneke to play more than thank hour a week and Davison just isn’t good enough.  If Stockey get injured, we are £ucked. Hopefully Kanu will break though, but we need at least one more striker. 
    This.

Happy so far with the signings made but still lacking up front. Currently we are weaker in that area than we were last season.....and we finished 13th  !!

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Try again. 
    Have a day off (or at least an hour or two). Was a kick about ffs. Man City went without scoring once 
    Last season was a kick about?
    someone should have said!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Don't see why people are writing Kirk off , think he'll be a key part of things under Garner and with Sessengon behind him , I hope we start to see the best of him. Would rather be moving on the likes of Morgan and Davison than Kirk. 
    100% - big season for Kirk if we can fend off Blackpool.
  • Personally, I don’t know if it’s any better than what we had last season on the basis I don’t know enough about the signings to pass judgment.  Based on overall comments on here, it seems we’re heading in a better direction, but I won’t offer up my thoughts as to whether or not I think that’s the case until I’ve seen them.

I’m indifferent to all signings so far but that’s not because I don’t think they will do the job, I just have to see it, such has been the lack of quality over the last 2 years 

I really hope this is the start of something better, but I do think we need more in to make a real go of it, purely on the basis of where we finished last season, and not being as enthusiastic at the likes of Stockley, DJ, Aneke & JFC as others 
  • Sponsored links:

• The fact Kirk played at a higher level last season, if used properly and if he is going to knuckle down with us, he should be an asset to the team. I hope he proves to be better than what we see last season.
  • The business has been very decent so far - and looks like there’s a plan.
    If there is cash to be spent then I hope we use it on a really smart centre forward like Max Watters.
    Then can start to get excited. 
  • Valley11 said:
    The business has been very decent so far - and looks like there’s a plan.
    If there is cash to be spent then I hope we use it on a really smart centre forward like Max Watters.
    Then can start to get excited. 
    There’s all those fivers from the new shirts !!!

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Try again. 
    What was a kick about ?  I'm talking about last season - 21/22. Those 3 players all appeared in Charlton red during last season and none scored.

Morgan scored once (maybe twice) and Dobbo scored a screamer. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I doubt our midfield scored more than half a dozen between them. 

Woeful. 
  • paulfox said:
    The fact Kirk played at a higher level last season, if used properly and if he is going to knuckle down with us, he should be an asset to the team. I hope he proves to be better than what we see last season.
    He was hardly a massive success for Blackpool though, 7 starts and 2 sub appearances out of 19 games with 0 goals and 3 assists.
  • Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Don't see why people are writing Kirk off , think he'll be a key part of things under Garner and with Sessengon behind him , I hope we start to see the best of him. Would rather be moving on the likes of Morgan and Davison than Kirk. 
    100% - big season for Kirk if we can fend off Blackpool.

I'm hoping the Appleton connection means they go for someone like Morgan Rogers on loan as opposed to Kirk. Still would like another winger in the building as an option , I don't think it will be someone like a McKirdy though. 

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Try again. 
    What was a kick about ?  I'm talking about last season - 21/22. Those 3 players all appeared in Charlton red during last season and none scored.

Morgan scored once (maybe twice) and Dobbo scored a screamer. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I doubt our midfield scored more than half a dozen between them. 

Woeful. 
    To be fair those three only made 12 league starts between them and all have got a decent goal return in previous seasons. I think any of those three are more likely to repeat that than Morgan and Gilbey step up.
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    What six teams will have a higher budget?
    Sheffield, Derby, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Peteborough, Barnsley. Unless we're planning some pretty(extremely) decent players for the 'few more' incomings.