Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• We need another striker, possibly two and another left back. I'd be happy with that in all honesty.
    I’d add a winger better than Jaiyesimi to the list personally, he was played out of position for the most part last year but I can’t see him playing a major role in a promotion-winning side.
  • Aneke in league one for us:

Apps 47 (most of which are from the bench)
    Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:
    38 appearances (11 starts + 27 subs) - 1522 minutes. 15 goals.

Last season:
    9 appearances (4 starts + 5 subs) - 444 minutes. 4 goals.

Total: 19 goals in 1966 minutes. A goal every 103 minutes.
    Well this backs up my point and even surprises me.

To add some quantitive info to the numbers, most of his goals come when we are chasing games, which is tougher than hanging onto a lead.
  • We need another striker, possibly two and another left back. I'd be happy with that in all honesty.
    I’d add a winger better than Jaiyesimi to the list personally, he was played out of position for the most part last year but I can’t see him playing a major role in a promotion-winning side.
    I wonder if he’ll play more central. It wasn’t clear what the formation was in the first half vs Kilmarnock but it could be argued it was a 3-4-2–1 with Aneke and DJ as the 2.
  • I'm perhaps more cautious that others here about our new signings, but am looking forward to seeing them at Dartford and Sutton.
    I'm "cautious" too  :D

Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    Correct.

Goals 19

We need another as washington left and another to replace davison as he is no good for this level
  • AndyG said:
    With Kirk I think it will depend if he wants to be here himself. IF he can settle in London then I honestly believe that under this new style of play we will see a different player than last season. If he doesnt want to be here then I guess he will be off this window. Personally I hope he stays and shows the player we thought he was when we bought him
    Agree with this 100% Andy…….however, I’m not holding my breath. 🫤
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a couple more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...

Another striker and winger seem the obvious gaps. Left back too if they intend to loan Clayden out.

Still wouldn't surprise me if any of MacGillivray, Morgan, Gilbey, Kirk or Davison move on.

Would guess they see the squad something like this:

GK: Wollacott, MacGillivray

RB: Egbo, Clare
    CB: O'Connell, Lavelle, Inniss, Elerewe
    LB: Sessengnon, Clayden

DM: Dobson, Forster-Caskey
    CM: McGrandles, Fraser, Morgan, Gilbey

W: Jaiyesimi, Blackett-Taylor, Kirk

ST: Stockley, Aneke, Davison
    I think we’re still thin at CB as we know Innis will miss games. Need at least one forward, probably two. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a few more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.
    Let's wait and see. Was told to me "a few" but not in the next few weeks as it stands. Any one that moves on will of course add to that number. I am positive about next season. Think youth will be given a chance too which isn't a bad thing. 
    Youth ? A bit like last season ? Pathway for under 23s to first team, pity they weren't good enough leading to last minute scrabbling for whatever was left.
  • Looks to me like we’re working our way into a budgetary surplus, with expensive players going and relatively inexpensive ones being recruited from league two. 
    I think we clearly need improvements up front if we’re serious about promotion, but now perhaps after all the wage trimming we can afford to splash the cash a little. This would also help with loans which can also put pressure on the wage bill.
  • edited July 2022
    I'd like to see Gilbey and Davison go. Then we need as a minimum:

LB/LWB cover
    Goal scoring midfielder
    Striker (preferably pacing/willing to run the channels, to offer some contrast to the the others)

If I'm being greedy:

A left sided centre back who can cover left back
    Allowing for a LWB/LW instead of the LB/LWB
    Creative midfield/RW cover
    Another attacking option

So that's 3 in at a minimum (which I think we'll get), 6 in and 2 out would be nice
  • Sign a couple of under 21 loans, and we don't need to worry about the squad cap.

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

What about his time at Birmingham ?
    “Aneke in league one for us”

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

His time at Birmingham has absolutely nothing to do with his record for us at League One level.

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

We are a League 1 club and Chuks will be up against League 1 CB's and not Championship CB's this season. We can only deal with League 1 stats and Aneke has a goal every 103 minutes of football in this division. We need players who can do the business in this mediocre division. A better service and Chuks will get to a goal every 90 minutes; the challenge is to get him playing the minutes. Tomorrow and the Championship is a pipe dream until a 46 game plan to garner more points comes to fruition.
    Still a very tough gig for Ben but I can see the template with fitter and quicker players coming to the club. 
  • Sage said:
    doronron said:
    Ellis Simms,think he was at Blackpool,loaned to Millwall 
    who was banging on about him on here last season. Was it @Sage ?   From Everton.
    Indeed I was.

Watched loads of U23 and U18 football during initial lockdown. Mentioned him to Gallen in the December of 2020, said he never heard of him. Went to Blackpool in the January 2021 and done really well, went to Hearts last season and done okay, could have done better, but now he joins Millwall and should do well to be honest. Simms needs a good season in the Championship, but he's still only 21.

Genuinely think if we signed him in that January instead of Blackpool we would have finished top 6 and not missed out on GD. Then anything could have happened.
    Interestingly I also mentioned him to SG and had a similar response. Totally agree with all of that

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

Keep him fit and he keeps that record up, even if he only plays a third of the minutes in a season, that's 14 goals
  • A clean slate for Charlie Kirk but I'm struggling to see at the moment what his strengths are. His main claim to fame was he was good at giving the pass to an overlapping Pickering at Crewe. He needs to get sharper and work hard as we can't afford any passengers this season.
    Cafc gave him a 4 year contract to get the signing done so talent is there but it is latent talent so far and Charlie deserves another chance as the bereavement happened just before he signed and his partner was probably unsettled as she had her dog grooming business up north. She has travelled down with him so a new start again.

Every single players that puts on a Cafc shirt I want to succeed and Charlie is no different. Some players will and some won't.
    I really hope this second chance works out for Kirk, partner and all Cafc supporters/critics.

From reading about his time at Crewe, his strength is his decision making in the final third. He is composed and makes the right pass or decides to shoot at the right moment and that means he will get plenty of assists and a good number of goals. The problem with last season is he barely got the ball in the final third as we were set up so badly under Adkins. If we get Garner-ball right he will be getting the plenty of the ball in the right areas 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Looks to me like we’re working our way into a budgetary surplus, with expensive players going and relatively inexpensive ones being recruited from league two. 
    I think we clearly need improvements up front if we’re serious about promotion, but now perhaps after all the wage trimming we can afford to splash the cash a little. This would also help with loans which can also put pressure on the wage bill.
    Budget surplus?
    No chance, getting rid of Gunter, Matthews etc won't save £8M.
    We couldn't even run a surplus if we went part time (transfer profits apart).
    In fact we would still make a loss if we had no players to pay.
  • If both Sage and CAFCDAZ are telling the truth ? Then Steve Gallen must be telling a Porkie pie to whichever of those two posters told him last 🤔

I'm not a top detective for nothing.  I'm mustard at guessing the killer at Cluedo and watching Midsomer murders I'm on a better winning streak than Nadal.

I will email Steve to get to the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 
    The right of reply is paramount in British Justice. 
  • Sign a couple of under 21 loans, and we don't need to worry about the squad cap.
    Or promotion. 
  • LoOkOuT said:
    Sign a couple of under 21 loans, and we don't need to worry about the squad cap.
    Or promotion. 
    Bielik, Gallagher, Maatsen, Millar, Dasilva just a few examples to show it is possible to get good players that are under the squad cap age. We will definitely need to do this or we won’t have enough players to cover our injury prone squad 
  • I'd like to see another centre back. Innis will miss 2/3rd's of the season. Lavelle didn't really impress me last season 
  • I'd like to see another centre back. Innis will miss 2/3rd's of the season. Lavelle didn't really impress me last season 
    I wonder if they see Ness breaking through this season given he signed a new 2 year deal.