Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Only expecting a few more before the deadline now. Squad almost complete...
    It would unfortunately give a lot of credence to those going against Sandgaard recently from a budget perspective. We've got rid of high wages in Watson, Leko, Arter, Gunter, Pearce, Washington & Souare and replaced them with mostly League Two or bottom half League One players. I'm all for poaching the best of League Two but it hardly screams top six budget to me this year.
    Let's wait and see. Was told to me "a few" but not in the next few weeks as it stands. Any one that moves on will of course add to that number. I am positive about next season. Think youth will be given a chance too which isn't a bad thing. 
    True, I'm more optimistic this year, sometimes a manager and a philosophy is better than just signing players. That said, it's a huge error in judgement to expect to spend 1/3 of what Derby and Sheffield are on wages/proven players and perform better than them. If Sandgaard does end up exclusively signing lower league/loan players and it doesn't work out, what his gameplan would be next year. I don't think most of the fanbase would stand for it tbh.
    If we only concentrate on signing division 4  players I worry that we are more likely to end up there rather than getting promoted.
  • sam3110 said:
    Centre backs, I'm hoping we can utilise Lavelle, O'Donnell, Elewere, Inniss and Clare, and if we're playing 3 at the back I'd expect one more in, preferably left footed and comfortable on the ball. 

I want another left back, a striker, a goalscoring midfielder and a winger in as well, with 3 leaving to make room for that. I think the 3 leaving should be Morgan, Gilbey and Davison. 
    pretty much where I'm at. If the plan is 433, one out and out striker is enough. If the plan is 352, we probably need 2 strikers and either forget the winger, or offload DJ and replace. 

Definitely need a left-footed LB, left-footed CB and a goalscoring midfielder on top. I'd probably keep one of Morgan or Gilbey for a bit of depth in midfield. 
  • What we have had every season for the last few years, even the promotion one under Bowyer, is a few injuries and fielding a team you expect to lose. We have a weakness up front here that we need to cover.
  • Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

It's 1 more goal scoring winger that we really need.
  • Been away for a couple of days so after catching up on a few hundred posts there are loads banging on about the areas where we still need strengthening. Now although I don't disagree with this, it does become very tedious reading the same thing over and over again when we are pretty much all in agreement as to what is needed. Unless amongst all this repetitiveness I have missed TS saying our transfer business is now concluded can't we just wait and see how it pans out?
  • edited July 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Looks to me like we’re working our way into a budgetary surplus, with expensive players going and relatively inexpensive ones being recruited from league two. 
    I think we clearly need improvements up front if we’re serious about promotion, but now perhaps after all the wage trimming we can afford to splash the cash a little. This would also help with loans which can also put pressure on the wage bill.
    Budget surplus?
    No chance, getting rid of Gunter, Matthews etc won't save £8M.
    We couldn't even run a surplus if we went part time (transfer profits apart).
    In fact we would still make a loss if we had no players to pay.
    Sorry, I meant the player budget rather than the overall budget, should have made that clear.
    Players like Leko and Lee would also have added to the wages bill, and we have seen a decent number leaving, including Pearce and Washington who would both have been on relatively high wages.
  • Charlton want to sign Tyreeq Bakinson from Bristol City. #cafc #BristolCity saw this on twitter, another midfielder.
  • Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

I think we'd be more looking at a "forward" than a winger per se personally, a player who is nominally out wide but can cut in and attack directly instead of/as well as crossing it in, or drops deeper between midfield and striker positions - a bit like Kermorgant or Taylor did to great effect.
  • edited July 2022
    Aneke in league one for us:

Apps 47 (most of which are from the bench)
    Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:
    38 appearances (11 starts + 27 subs) - 1522 minutes. 15 goals.

Last season:
    9 appearances (4 starts + 5 subs) - 444 minutes. 4 goals.

Total: 19 goals in 1966 minutes. A goal every 103 minutes.
    What about his time at Birmingham ?
    “Aneke in league one for us”
     That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  
    The nearest was a goal every 144 minutes I think. But his minutes tended to be as sub against tiring defences. Not that I don’t rate him, I do. Just wish he could start matches and still be as effective.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Aneke in league one for us:

Apps 47 (most of which are from the bench)
    Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:
    38 appearances (11 starts + 27 subs) - 1522 minutes. 15 goals.

Last season:
    9 appearances (4 starts + 5 subs) - 444 minutes. 4 goals.

Total: 19 goals in 1966 minutes. A goal every 103 minutes.
    What about his time at Birmingham ?
    “Aneke in league one for us”
     That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  
    The nearest was a goal every 144 minutes I think. But his minutes tended to be as sub against tiring defences. Not that I don’t rate him, I do. Just wish he could start matches and still be effective.
    Agree I’ve no comeback to those saying they don’t want Aneke due to his injury record, that makes sense, but suggesting he won’t score (if he plays) is nonsense when you look at his previous.  

I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
  • Would still argue we need 2 more forwards in even if we do play 433/231 every game.  Aneke might play 30 games next season, he might only play 12, just don't know. Then you're back to stockley and one other with a kid on the bench much like the end of last season. Stockley throws his back/hip out again and you've got kanu playing more than he probably should.

1 out and out striker
    1 wide forward 

Don't agree on CBT, think he's got the potential to be a very good wing-back, especially with someone like Fraser and hopefully a better back 3 behind him. Agree on DJ and Kirk, although we could keep one of them with 433 being a option on certain games too. 
  • Charlton want to sign Tyreeq Bakinson from Bristol City. #cafc #BristolCity saw this on twitter, another midfielder.
    5 goals in 54 appearances for Brizzel, 10 in 132 across his career. Not sure we need another non-scoring midfielder?
  • Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
    I agree. Kanu is a child.
    I'll be astonished if he is part of first team plans.
    Might get a sub appearance in Pizza cup maybe.
    Anyway, I fully expect him to be sold before he makes a first team league appearance.  ;)
  • sam3110 said:
    Centre backs, I'm hoping we can utilise Lavelle, O'Donnell, Elewere, Inniss and Clare, and if we're playing 3 at the back I'd expect one more in, preferably left footed and comfortable on the ball. 

I want another left back, a striker, a goalscoring midfielder and a winger in as well, with 3 leaving to make room for that. I think the 3 leaving should be Morgan, Gilbey and Davison. 
    Would like to see DJ go as well, he’s crap. 
    5 goals in 54 appearances for Brizzel, 10 in 132 across his career. Not sure we need another non-scoring midfielder?
    Agreed, don't think we need Bakinson aswell as McGrandles
  • Read that Bristol City were looking to offload Bakinson, not sure we need more CM’s unless someone goes? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO
    Feel this way too. Similarly with Kirk.

One additional wide player that can complement them both plus CBT and I think we are set in that area of the pitch.

Don’t forget that both Egbo and Sessegnon can also play further up the pitch as well.

My wishlist at this point is a left back, a left sided centre back, a winger (either side) and a striker.

Past those additions, I’d expect outgoings before any incomings.
  • DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO

I like DJ. None of our managers got a tune out of him but I think Garner can. Plus he was the Swindon advance party paving the way for the rest to follow.
    He's shit
    Another for the May 2023 'opinion comparison' thread.
  • I think a problem for the past few years is that our movement off the ball was non existent. We relied on our couple of fast players skinning their man to open up. With a new way of playing, some of those players (Kirk, DJ) might find themselves with more space and more options. I wouldn't rule them out yet.
    "There is no me and you"
    I agree but he adds height to the side, which our midfield lack.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Another for the May 2023 'opinion comparison' thread.
    Why this opinion but not this one?

I like DJ. None of our managers got a tune out of him but I think Garner can. Plus he was the Swindon advance party paving the way for the rest to follow.
    He's shit

• Leuth said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

Don't agree on CBT, think he's got the potential to be a very good wing-back, especially with someone like Fraser and hopefully a better back 3 behind him. Agree on DJ and Kirk, although we could keep one of them with 433 being a option on certain games too. 
    Don't do this to poor CBT. Don't make him defend. He shouldn't have to 
    I think if we have a back 3 plus Dobson and McGrandles in midfield, then the wing-backs won't be expected to do much defending. I'd prefer him to play down the wing in 433 but I just don't agree that 352 renders CBT useless. Possibly does to the other 2, more so Kirk but we also need the option to switch formations on occasions.