Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Aneke in league one for us:

Apps 47 (most of which are from the bench)
    Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:
    38 appearances (11 starts + 27 subs) - 1522 minutes. 15 goals.

Last season:
    9 appearances (4 starts + 5 subs) - 444 minutes. 4 goals.

Total: 19 goals in 1966 minutes. A goal every 103 minutes.
    What about his time at Birmingham ?
    “Aneke in league one for us”
     That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  
    Just wading into this debate.

Aneke is a beast & his figures for the season before he left showed his goals per minutes was in the top 3.

HOWEVER 

That season he couldnt play even 90 mins, let alone sat/tues/sat. It's no good having a great striker if he can only play 50% of the time. Stockton I believe played 45 league games last season. 

If you are going to have Aneke at your club you are going to need at least 4 strikers.....and that doesn't include Davison. 

You want us to sign three strikers?
  • NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DJ was a case where we signed him because he was doing well, didn't fit into any sort of tactical system, as our managers who managed him didn't have one. 
    I think it was just a panic deadline day signing. We sold Williams that day and then bidded for pretty much every league 1 player that can play out wide. I don’t think we really wanted to sign him it was just the best that we could get on the day. Fortunately our transfers seem to have more long term thought to them now as before it was always short term 
    We signed him because of who his agent was.
  • edited July 2022
    Aneke in league one for us:

Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:

Last season:

That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  

Aneke is a beast & his figures for the season before he left showed his goals per minutes was in the top 3.

HOWEVER 

That season he couldnt play even 90 mins, let alone sat/tues/sat. It's no good having a great striker if he can only play 50% of the time. Stockton I believe played 45 league games last season. 

If you are going to have Aneke at your club you are going to need at least 4 strikers.....and that doesn't include Davison. 

You want us to sign three strikerI'm s?
    We definitely need to offload Davison and sign 2.
    Just my opinion 
    I'm expecting one and Davison to stay, personally. Maybe one and a half if we're after a winger that can also do a job up front.

Agree that we definitely need two if Davison goes.

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

HOWEVER 

Just my opinion 
    Maybe 3 if we offload Davison! One being a winger/forward and offer something like Leko was meant to.

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

HOWEVER 

Just my opinion 
    I'm expecting one and Davison to stay, personally. Maybe one and a half if we're after a winger that can also do a job up front.

Davison is not a promotion winning forward imho. Aneke comes off the bench, not Davison, and no way will he start. So what’s his role?
  • Any signings about to happen ? 
  • edited July 2022
    JamesSeed said:

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

HOWEVER 

Just my opinion 

Davison is not a promotion winning forward imho. Aneke comes off the bench, not Davison, and no way will he start. So what’s his role?
    Be fourth choice. Not every forward has to be promotion winning standard. Josh Parker, Paul Hayes & Dany N'Guessan proved that. Making 15-20 appearances off the bench and score 5 ish goals will be a good contribution from a fourth choice striker. I don't know any striker signing up for that role that the fans will be excited about signing so may as well keep Davison on hand for it.
  • What business is it of ours? 🙂
  • Sponsored links:

• Famewo looks to be going to Sheff Weds
  • edited July 2022
    How did that happen?! ⬆️

@Callumcafc Fair enough, I guess we need a fourth choicer. But I’m still hoping for a new striker to fit the ‘new’ style of play. 
  • edited July 2022
    JamesSeed said:

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

HOWEVER 

Just my opinion 

Impossible to read into, and will be interesting to see if there is anything different against Dartford.

But Davison played up front in a similar Stockley role last Saturday

Aneke on the other hand played as the attacking midfielder / support striker in the 4-2-3-1 type role, rather than as a Striker himself.

If thats the case its Davison vs Stockley for the starting spot against Accrington - So we definitely need a third Striker to compete with those two at the very least... If 4-2-3-1 became the first choice approach, then Aneke is almost there to compete with Fraser.

Unless of course thats going to be a change with DJ going back to the role he played for Swindon - As he pretty much played alongside Davison on Saturday.
  • edited July 2022
  • JamesSeed said:
    How did that happen?! ⬆️

@Callumcafc Fair enough, I guess we need a fourth choicer. But I’m still hoping for a new striker to fit the style of play. 
    I only lean towards keeping Davison as Garner will know what he's all about.

Perhaps BG knows enough and we are trying to offload... I have no idea.

But I get the feeling the priority is to find a Washington replacement before we look into moving on from Davison.
  • mendonca said:
    Am sure Famewo will turn into a beast at another club.
    He 'should' be good, he's big, pace etc but terrible judgement and feels the need to Cruyff turn on the back line multiple times a month. Maybe having better players around him might make him look less like a liability.
  • J BLOCK said:
    mendonca said:
    Am sure Famewo will turn into a beast at another club.
    Just can't see it. His all round game is no where near good enough.
    He does have a lot of work to do, that's for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good player but when the going got tough he started to try and prove how good he was with the ball at his feet and got caught out. 
    I didn’t like that. Came over as a really poor attitude. As if he was too good for League 1.
  • JamesSeed said:

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

HOWEVER 

Just my opinion 

Be fourth choice. Not every forward has to be promotion winning standard. Josh Parker, Paul Hayes & Dany N'Guessan proved that. Making 15-20 appearances off the bench and score 5 ish goals will be a good contribution from a fourth choice striker. I don't know any striker signing up for that role that the fans will be excited about signing so may as well keep Davison on hand for it.
    Hayes would certainly have been good enough for top six, if we hadn't signed Yann.  He was good enough as a starter for Scunthorpe. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO
    Another for the May 2023 'opinion comparison' thread.
    Why this opinion but not this one?

DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO

I like DJ. None of our managers got a tune out of him but I think Garner can. Plus he was the Swindon advance party paving the way for the rest to follow.
    He's shit

Most comparisons depend on two opinions, so both would be included.
  • If Swindon fans are anything to go by then Ben Garner is a big fan of Davison. I’d be surprised to see him leave.
  • Yeah can’t see Davison leaving, he was pretty good for Garner who I think will get the best out of him. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Yeah can’t see Davison leaving, he was pretty good for Garner who I think will get the best out of him. 
    Hopefully the best is good enough for what we need. 
  • edited July 2022
    If Swindon fans are anything to go by then Ben Garner is a big fan of Davison. I’d be surprised to see him leave.
    BG will have took many training sessions by now and will know he’s not to the standard required now he’s worked with Stockley/Aneke you'd of thought.  
  • RedRobin said:
    Yeah can’t see Davison leaving, he was pretty good for Garner who I think will get the best out of him. 
    Was he i swear i have seen most swindon fans glad to see the back of him saying he was pretty useless and thats in league 2….