Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• This right winger available soon

Sorry Admin, delete away
    WIOTOS Henry, you know the rules...😎
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

It's 1 more goal scoring winger that we really need.
    I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
    He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
    He got 41 goals and continued scoring at u23 level. I don't get the whole "he's 17, he's not ready", he is clearly too good for our youth levels. We are in league 1. Rooney was playing for Everton at this point, if you're old enough, you're good enough. would like to see him given a go in pre-season, the kid clearly knows where the goal is.
    Rooney was a freak.  Kane, Shearer, Ronaldo, Henry, RVN etc etc weren't playing regularly at 17.

It is also worth noting how quickly Rooney's body and career went downhill in his early 30's. A 17 year old is not meant to be playing that much men's football at that age, yes they may be good enough but they will likely end their career earlier.
    The same happened to Cesc, who didn't have the genetic challenges Rooney had either.
  • This right winger available soon

Sorry Admin, delete away
    You’re a couple of days late with that one. 
    Typical museum type!
  • Will today be the day I can check for my morning rumours without seeing a photo of Boris Joh- never mind.
  • If he was our player I would get exit done.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
    He got 41 goals and continued scoring at u23 level. I don't get the whole "he's 17, he's not ready", he is clearly too good for our youth levels. We are in league 1. Rooney was playing for Everton at this point, if you're old enough, you're good enough. would like to see him given a go in pre-season, the kid clearly knows where the goal is.
    Rooney was a freak.  Kane, Shearer, Ronaldo, Henry, RVN etc etc weren't playing regularly at 17.

It is also worth noting how quickly Rooney's body and career went downhill in his early 30's. A 17 year old is not meant to be playing that much men's football at that age, yes they may be good enough but they will likely end their career earlier.
    I think this is an excellent point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    I have seen kids play too much football and then drift out the game. When you pick up regular knocks and play through them, it is not good for a young body. And the more games you play, the more knocks you get. I can think of a great example of a player who was terrific when he was around 12/13. But he was playing too much football. I was a parent and could see this and spoke to the manager about it and he agreed but it was difficult to stop him as the parents wanted him to play. You have to remember that they pay for their son to be part of the club.

He left us, poached by another club, and in our final U18 season, we had the chance to have him back. I jumped at it because we had been put up 3 divisions and I knew he was a good player. But sadly he was playing through injuries and not effective at all. I told him to take a break and at least miss training but he would still turn up for it. Then he would be out for two to three weeks then try to come back too quickly and I had to just play him less, but it wasn't really a loss anymore and he became a bit part player. It bothers me that an 18/19 year old can be fcuked up because issues weren't managed properly.

I take some responsibility too because maybe I wasn't forceful enough, but he would probably have gone somewhere else.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

Explain that to James Milner, Billy Bonds and many other.
    There will always be exceptions, but if you need to go as far back as billy bonds when the game was completely different then that probably tells you something.

For a significant portion of players, if they play too much high level mens football as a 16, 17, 18 year old they will end their careers early.
  • edited July 2022
    I think Mumba would have been a decent signing at LB. Perhaps a bit similar to Sessegnon, being able to play both flanks. Maybe both us and Plymouth had both players on the list and took one each. I’d like us to be in for Bishop too
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

There will always be exceptions, but if you need to go as far back as billy bonds when the game was completely different then that probably tells you something.

For a significant portion of players, if they play too much high level mens football as a 16, 17, 18 year old they will end their careers early.
    Rooney is a double edged sword, the reason he was so good at 17 is the same reason he was finished in his early 30s.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

Yes there are far more examples of careers being cut short from starting/ breaking through at a young age than not. Obvious to say but the development of the body has a big say, be it early or late. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

Michael Owen is a better example of a young player than Rooney as Owen's career was over quicker than Wayne Rooney.

I believe Daniel Kanu is 18 in November so at some time in the 22/23 season if Kanu has the talent that he appears to have he will be involved with the first team Squad even if it's in the new year. We are League 1 and special 18 year olds will be involved.

I also appreciate that if bids come in for Kanu or Deji similar to Mason Burstow then they will go. A million or so is small fry for Premier clubs. How we get 18 or 19 year olds to be good enough to be involved in our squad but not get sold is difficult. Both Alfie Doughty and Dijksteel (Dutch guy !) Were half decent and were away in no time to Championship sides.
  • Kanu at 17 is obviously not ready but if he’s as good a prospect as people seem to think then to me it makes sense to have him in and around the first team squad and  give him a bench place here and there and a few minutes of game time. Create an atmosphere where he feels comfortable to step up when the time comes. We don’t want to push him too far too quickly but I’d hope he gets a few sub appearances in suitable games this season.
    Burstow didn’t really pop on to the first team scene until December time. Plenty of opportunities in cup matches to force himself into the 1st team squad by when we start playing twice a week over Christmas. Nothing wrong with Gavin or Kanu being 5th choice.
  • Kanu is this seasons Burstow. Too much foisted on him to be our striking saviour, will then flatter to deceive for 3 months & then sold to a club higher up the football pyramid. 

If we are going to rely on him to be the 3rd or 4th choice striker then I'm afraid we'll be stuck again next season in league 1.
  • Colby Bishop is definitely someone we should be interested in.
    I think he would a good signing! Different to what we have
    Totally agree we should be.
    But I don't believe we will spend any money this window on a transfer fee.
    It will be free transfers and loan deals so I can't see it happen. 
    I'd love to be proved wrong Tommy so get yer check book out.