Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Colby Bishop is definitely someone we should be interested in.
    Totally agree we should be.
    But I don't believe we will spend any money this window on a transfer fee.
    It will be free transfers and loan deals so I can't see it happen. 
    I'd love to be proved wrong Tommy so get yer check book out.
    Do you think Tommy can resist not having a bit of a show off signing? I’m hoping people are right with there assumption it’s all about him and he can’t help splashing out on someone once he’s got his freebies. 
  • It's very rare for 17 year olds to force their way into the first team and stay there - the only two that spring to my mind in modern times are Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot, both of whom were very exceptional talents.

I'm sure Daniel Kanu will be around the first team in training and I expect that he'll feature in the Papa Johns games, which are very useful for introducing youngsters in a non-pressurised environment. With 5 subs next season and the inevitable injuries, he's also sure to get a taste of league action off the bench. I imagine the same will apply to the likes of Tyreece Campbell, Aaron Henry and Deji. 

In addition to a left back and central defender, the club will be acutely aware of the need for another striker, although everybody wants one of those and it's probably the hardest position to fill. If it proves possible, a permanent signing would obviously be so much better, not least because loanees can often be recalled in January, disrupting the team and leaving us back at square one. 

I’m surprised you think so. How come?
  • Blucher said:
    It's very rare for 17 year olds to force their way into the first team and stay there - the only two that spring to my mind in modern times are Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot, both of whom were very exceptional talents.

I'm sure Daniel Kanu will be around the first team in training and I expect that he'll feature in the Papa Johns games, which are very useful for introducing youngsters in a non-pressurised environment. With 5 subs next season and the inevitable injuries, he's also sure to get a taste of league action off the bench. I imagine the same will apply to the likes of Tyreece Campbell, Aaron Henry and Deji. 

In addition to a left back and central defender, the club will be acutely aware of the need for another striker, although everybody wants one of those and it's probably the hardest position to fill. If it proves possible, a permanent signing would obviously be so much better, not least because loanees can often be recalled in January, disrupting the team and leaving us back at square one. 

Paul Konchesky(16) and Lee Bowyer(17)
  • How old was Shelvey on debut? 
    Also 16
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Would cost a fee Bishop, 6 figure one I imagine but still, 

feel he would suit Garners style more than Stockley, can play a bit more from what I remember and a bit more mobile 
  • I thought Bowyer was 18 but you're certainly right about Konchesky, although I don't think he really established himself until 2000/01. I recall that Parker also played against Bury early in 97/98 as a 17 year old but really entrenched himself after he came back from his Norwich loan a couple of years later.

The other really notable youngster who became a regular from pretty well the outset was JonJo Shelvey. He really did the decent thing by signing a pro contract on his 17th birthday, despite interest from the Premier League, especially given our desperate financial position at the time. Sadly, the increasing influence of agents and that blasted  Elite Player Performance Plan sees a lot more young talented EFL players jumping ship these days, with minimal compensation for the clubs that nurtured their development.
    I’m surprised you think so. How come?
    I think he's trying to do things on the cheap in an attempt to break even.

It's his money so he can do as he likes. 

I just can't see us paying say 3 or 4 hundred grand on a player 
  • Sponsored links:

Also 16
    Thank you
  • Blucher said:
    I thought Bowyer was 18 but you're certainly right about Konchesky, although I don't think he really established himself until 2000/01. I recall that Parker also played against Bury early in 97/98 as a 17 year old but really entrenched himself after he came back from his Norwich loan a couple of years later.

The other really notable youngster who became a regular from pretty well the outset was JonJo Shelvey. He really did the decent thing by signing a pro contract on his 17th birthday, despite interest from the Premier League, especially given our desperate financial position at the time. Sadly, the increasing influence of agents and that blasted  Elite Player Performance Plan sees a lot more young talented EFL players jumping ship these days, with minimal compensation for the clubs that nurtured their development.
    Apart from Bowyer, they all spent quiet a bit of time out of the team or went on loan
  • swordfish said:
    Although TS has paid fees in past transfer windows,  only by shelling out again now will some be convinced he doesn't lack ambition or isn't skint. 

I'm confident that, within reason, he'd be prepared to pay out to secure a target high on the priority list, probably a striker of proven L1 standing, but until he does, the doubts will remain.
    Think it will more likely be a winger than a striker. Don’t think anyone of value will want to play second fiddle to Stockley if we are playing 1 up top and can’t see us splashing the cash to have someone on the bench.
  • paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

It's 1 more goal scoring winger that we really need.
    I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
    He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
    He got 41 goals and continued scoring at u23 level. I don't get the whole "he's 17, he's not ready", he is clearly too good for our youth levels. We are in league 1. Rooney was playing for Everton at this point, if you're old enough, you're good enough. would like to see him given a go in pre-season, the kid clearly knows where the goal is.
    Rooney was a freak.  Kane, Shearer, Ronaldo, Henry, RVN etc etc weren't playing regularly at 17.

It is also worth noting how quickly Rooney's body and career went downhill in his early 30's. A 17 year old is not meant to be playing that much men's football at that age, yes they may be good enough but they will likely end their career earlier.
    Explain that to James Milner, Billy Bonds and many other.
    There will always be exceptions, but if you need to go as far back as billy bonds when the game was completely different then that probably tells you something.

For a significant portion of players, if they play too much high level mens football as a 16, 17, 18 year old they will end their careers early.
    Yes there are far more examples of careers being cut short from starting/ breaking through at a young age than not. Obvious to say but the development of the body has a big say, be it early or late. 
    Name them all to prove it.
    Reminds me of that time you said "Find it" ...
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
    He got 41 goals and continued scoring at u23 level. I don't get the whole "he's 17, he's not ready", he is clearly too good for our youth levels. We are in league 1. Rooney was playing for Everton at this point, if you're old enough, you're good enough. would like to see him given a go in pre-season, the kid clearly knows where the goal is.
    Rooney was a freak.  Kane, Shearer, Ronaldo, Henry, RVN etc etc weren't playing regularly at 17.

It is also worth noting how quickly Rooney's body and career went downhill in his early 30's. A 17 year old is not meant to be playing that much men's football at that age, yes they may be good enough but they will likely end their career earlier.
    There will always be exceptions, but if you need to go as far back as billy bonds when the game was completely different then that probably tells you something.

For a significant portion of players, if they play too much high level mens football as a 16, 17, 18 year old they will end their careers early.
    Yes there are far more examples of careers being cut short from starting/ breaking through at a young age than not. Obvious to say but the development of the body has a big say, be it early or late. 
    Ok how about fu:k off👍
    He'll start complaining soon enough when people start digging him out for trolling yet again.
    I suppose people are what they are and won't be changing now.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

He'll start complaining soon enough when people start digging him out for trolling yet again.
    Yes, sorry probably a bit over the top, but he along with uboat seem to have a thing for me, now they just get on my tits😂😂😜
  • edited July 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

Yes, sorry probably a bit over the top, but he along with uboat seem to have a thing for me, now they just get on my tits😂😂😜

Sorry, thought i'd lighten the atmos a bit... B)
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

Sorry, thought i'd lighten the atmos... B)
    Lol, would be a disappointment my tits aren’t that big!!!!, do love a Kenneth gif though, always room for that!!.👍😂
  • is Joe a loan?

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:

Thought so. You can't 🙃
    Well fairs fair. You had better write every single player who played senior football at 17 and still played 20+ games in a season professionally at 36. Then we can see which there are more of.
  • I wonder if there is many on trial with us, just there hasn't been much social media from the club this week regarding pictures of training!!!