Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• DDOUBLEE said:
    If Josh Davison is one of our 4 striking options this season, then we won't be making the top 6. Simple as that.
    I’m not saying Davison is the answer or in anyway the guy to get us up.  But he can be a 4th choice striker and we can still go up, if we’re only playing one recognised striker there’s a chance he’ll get little or no minutes.  
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    If Josh Davison is one of our 4 striking options this season, then we won't be making the top 6. Simple as that.

Great, so you think our entire season and any chance of promotion/top six is in the hands on ONE player...what's the point of bloody turning up if that's your take on our team, and the good additions so far..🤦‍♂️
  • Davison being 4th choice is fine. Any higher up the pecking order and we are in trouble. Last time we were promoted we played the whole play offs with Josh Parker up front and he was 3rd choice for the second half of the season.

If we get the new striker signing right then Davison being 4th choice isn’t going to make or break our season and it’s also unlikely we will be able to sign anyone who is better that agrees to sign for a team that already has stockley, Aneke and another new striker 
  • edited July 2022
    DDOUBLEE said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

Great, so you think our entire season and any chance of promotion/top six is in the hands on ONE player...what's the point of bloody turning up if that's your take on our team, and the good additions so far..🤦‍♂️
    Not at all, but the fact of the matter is, he isn't good enough to be cover for when Aneke and/or Stockley inevitably get injured. Not got any issues with any of the signings far

We still need another striker, but think Davison will still be here, he is an ok 4th choice cover, but agree not a starter
  • If Swindon fans are anything to go by then Ben Garner is a big fan of Davison. I’d be surprised to see him leave.
    According to Charlton fans Jackson loved half the squad and they would all follow him to Wimbledon and hated Gunter who he wouldn't piss on if he was fire, let alone sign....... 
  • Sheffield Wednesday interested in Akin Famewo, no future at Norwich
  • edited July 2022
    We will see. Josh Parker was our second/third choice for half a season in 2019... successful teams don't tend to have their top quality strikers sitting on the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• When Washington and Stockley were injured last season we could’ve done without Davison being on loan at Swindon.
  • What about taking a chance on this striker, he's 43 so wouldn't cost a lot and is a prolific goalscorer at non league level.  I have followed this strikers career for years, always believing he would become a prolific goalscorer one day
    Never realised (or remembered maybe) that he went to millwall 
  • Yet to see any performance from Davison that even comes close to how well Parker played in that play-off final tbh
  • edited July 2022
    Sage said:
    We will see. Josh Parker was our second/third choice for half a season in 2019...
    Where he was in a team full of players better than League One level and many of whom either play in the Championship now, or better. Using Parker as an example is not comparable when Davison will be part of a team, where majority have failed for the last 1 or 2 seasons.

Two times we have been promoted from this league we have had BWP, Yann, and Haynes for half a season, 2 of which full season, and Taylor, Grant, and Igor for half a season, 2 of which full season. You need 2 or 3 top quality forwards for this league to get out of it. 
    Agreed. We have two in Stockley and Aneke. We need a third and Davison can be fourth choice. He won't get you out of your seat but he's a known quantity to both the rest of the squad and the new manager. Where's the problem with keeping him around?
  • At the moment if Stockley is injured and Aneke unable to start games then we are reliant on Davison. He tries hard but is nowhere near good enough. I know this is likely to change but rumours are other signings are going to be late in the window so if Stockley gets an injury in pre season then it’s likely Davison would start. 
  • If Davison stays there is no logic in Washington leaving unless we bring in a striker/ forward better than the latter we'd be weaker up front than we ended the season.
  • edited July 2022
    Sage said:
    We will see. Josh Parker was our second/third choice for half a season in 2019...
    Where he was in a team full of players better than League One level and many of whom either play in the Championship now, or better. Using Parker as an example is not comparable when Davison will be part of a team, where majority have failed for the last 1 or 2 seasons.

Two times we have been promoted from this league we have had BWP, Yann, and Haynes for half a season, 2 of which full season, and Taylor, Grant, and Igor for half a season, 2 of which full season. You need 2 or 3 top quality forwards for this league to get out of it. 
    Agreed. We have two in Stockley and Aneke. We need a third and Davison can be fourth choice. He won't get you out of your seat but he's a known quantity to both the rest of the squad and the new manager. Where's the problem with keeping him around?
    Bit of pre-season optimism at play here? The first time I saw Davison, I thought he would never make it here. Then he looked OK under Adkins, but there were times last season where he looked so out of his depth that I genuinely felt embarrassed for him. So while I'm not going to say he must go, I do have some sympathy with people who feel he shouldn't be around the squad. 
  • If Davison stays there is no logic in Washington leaving unless we bring in a striker/ forward better than the latter we'd be weaker up front than we ended the season.
    Washington doesn’t suit a system that plays with 1 striker, Davison does. So it makes sense if that is how we are going to play. Also Washington is probably on at least double his wage so might have made more sense to not spend big on what will hopefully be a 4th choice striker and we can use that money elsewhere on 1st/2nd choice players 
  • J BLOCK said:
    mendonca said:
    Am sure Famewo will turn into a beast at another club.
    Just can't see it. His all round game is no where near good enough.
    Sheffield Wednesday away he looked like he'd never played football before. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

It's 1 more goal scoring winger that we really need.
    I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
    He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Sage said:

Bit of pre-season optimism at play here? The first time I saw Davison, I thought he would never make it here. Then he looked OK under Adkins, but there were times last season where he looked so out of his depth that I genuinely felt embarrassed for him. So while I'm not going to say he must go, I do have some sympathy with people who feel he shouldn't be around the squad. 
    We played five different strikers in 18/19. Aside from Taylor and Grant, Vetokele was the top goalscorer with three goals.

We played with six different strikers in 12/12. Aside from BWP and Kermorgant, N'Guessan was the top goalscorer with four goals.

I would back Davison to score 4 or 5 himself if he's here for the whole season.

You don't need as many free scoring forwards as you think. Just a couple of decent ones that can stay fit - for me that's Stockley and one other.

Half the calls for two or three top quality players read to me like a contigency plan incase of x, y or z. That's great, but it's not something we can afford as a third tier club. And honestly, once someone does come in, we're in unfamiliar territory by having someone as good as Aneke waiting in the wings.
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Sage said:

We played five different strikers in 18/19. Aside from Taylor and Grant, Vetokele was the top goalscorer with three goals.

We played with six different strikers in 12/12. Aside from BWP and Kermorgant, N'Guessan was the top goalscorer with four goals.

I would back Davison to score 4 or 5 himself if he's here for the whole season.

You don't need as many free scoring forwards as you think. Just a couple of decent ones that can stay fit - for me that's Stockley and one other.

Half the calls for two or three top quality players read to me like a contigency plan incase of x, y or z. That's great, but it's not something we can afford as a third tier club. And honestly, once someone does come in, we're in unfamiliar territory by having someone as good as Aneke waiting in the wings.
    I'm not advocating for any of that. It's not the end of the world if he stays but at the same time there are genuine concerns about whether he's at all good enough to play in this league. And if Stockley and Chuks are both out (not unfeasible) then a period with Davison up front could end up costing us crucial points. We saw similar last season even though the points ultimately ended up meaning nothing.

• I’m afraid Davison is in the same category as DJ.
    As an earlier poster succinctly put it
    He’s shit.
  • edited July 2022
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

Problem is he takes up a squad place instead of someone with the quality we need to get out this league. Aneke won’t start many games so we need 2 more good additions and Davison to leave. Without that, we will struggle up top again, even with Stockley and Aneke likely to get 30-35 goals between them.
    If Stockley and Aneke got 30 goals, the new bloke got 10, that's 40 goals which betters the totals from BWP/Kermorgant and Taylor/Grant from previous promotion seasons. Why do we need a fourth striker with that same goalscoring ability that won't get many minutes but is going to cost a chunk of money that could be better used elsewhere?

If they decide it's in the budget that Davison should be moved on and replaced, I'm onboard with it because I don't think he's fantastic either. Just trying to temper expectations because we never end up with as many signings as everyone wants. It's a fact of life supporting Charlton.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

It's 1 more goal scoring winger that we really need.
    I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
    He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
    He got 41 goals and continued scoring at u23 level. I don't get the whole "he's 17, he's not ready", he is clearly too good for our youth levels. We are in league 1. Rooney was playing for Everton at this point, if you're old enough, you're good enough. would like to see him given a go in pre-season, the kid clearly knows where the goal is.
    Rooney was a freak.  Kane, Shearer, Ronaldo, Henry, RVN etc etc weren't playing regularly at 17.