Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Players who can play in each position (so some names may appear twice) (X will be where I think we need further additions, bolded players I wouldn't be against moving on and replacing with better):

GK: MacGillivray, Wollacott, Harness

Full back/wing back: Egbo, Sessegnon, X, Clare, Blackett-Taylor

Centre back: O'Connell, Lavelle, X, Inniss, Elerewe, Clare, Dobson

Defensive mid: Dobson, McGrandles, Forster-Caskey, Clare

Midfield: Fraser, Forster-Caskey, McGrandles, Gilbey, Morgan, Clare

Winger: Kirk, DJ, Blackett-Taylor, X, Sessegnon, Egbo

Striker: Stockley, X, Aneke, Davison
  • DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO
    Completely agree. I'm looking forward to watching him this season. 
  • What about taking a chance on this striker, he's 43 so wouldn't cost a lot and is a prolific goalscorer at non league level.  I have followed this strikers career for years, always believing he would become a prolific goalscorer one day

He probably still looks about 19!
    He looks younger than his kids!
  • Scoham said:
    We need another striker, possibly two and another left back. I'd be happy with that in all honesty.
    I’d add a winger better than Jaiyesimi to the list personally, he was played out of position for the most part last year but I can’t see him playing a major role in a promotion-winning side.
    I wonder if he’ll play more central. It wasn’t clear what the formation was in the first half vs Kilmarnock but it could be argued it was a 3-4-2–1 with Aneke and DJ as the 2.
    Scoham said:
    We need another striker, possibly two and another left back. I'd be happy with that in all honesty.
    I’d add a winger better than Jaiyesimi to the list personally, he was played out of position for the most part last year but I can’t see him playing a major role in a promotion-winning side.
    I wonder if he’ll play more central. It wasn’t clear what the formation was in the first half vs Kilmarnock but it could be argued it was a 3-4-2–1 with Aneke and DJ as the 2.
    Ir was a 433 but it was very unsymmetrical.  
  • Aneke in league one for us:

Apps 47 (most of which are from the bench)
    Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:
    38 appearances (11 starts + 27 subs) - 1522 minutes. 15 goals.

Last season:
    9 appearances (4 starts + 5 subs) - 444 minutes. 4 goals.

Total: 19 goals in 1966 minutes. A goal every 103 minutes.
    What about his time at Birmingham ?
    “Aneke in league one for us”
     That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  
    Not if he only manages 17 games and plays for about 25 mins in each. And you can't build an incomplete stat as you have done. He did play in Birmingham very recently.  He was also sd on quick by Bowyer. 
    That’s literally what everyone in here has said, “if” he’s fit he will score goals, based on his history in league one.  

There is no incomplete stats, myself and Chris_Sidcup posted his stats from league one because we are in league one, in the same fashion that I’ve ignored Kirk’s stats from league two and Aneke’s stats from the championship because we are not in those respective leagues, this isn’t difficult logic.  
    Was Garner’s assistant at Swindon when DJ was playing for them? 

Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:

Last season:

That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  
    Not if he only manages 17 games and plays for about 25 mins in each. And you can't build an incomplete stat as you have done. He did play in Birmingham very recently.  He was also sd on quick by Bowyer. 
    That’s literally what everyone in here has said, “if” he’s fit he will score goals, based on his history in league one.  

There is no incomplete stats, myself and Chris_Sidcup posted his stats from league one because we are in league one, in the same fashion that I’ve ignored Kirk’s stats from league two and Aneke’s stats from the championship because we are not in those respective leagues, this isn’t difficult logic.  
    Difficult logic for trolls 
    Was Garner’s assistant at Swindon when DJ was playing for them? 
    No he went to Swindon with Garner 
  • edited July 2022
    DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO
    Anyone said gilbey yet? If not I will take ‘Gilbey will thrive under garner’ if only Chris Gunter was here too, probably would’ve thrived under Garner too! 
    I can see it with DJ because he's a trickier winger that relies on skill and ball control to beat his man rather than a traditional speed merchant (like Blackett-Taylor for instance). Kirk has similar strengths to DJ which is what makes me excited for them both.

Gilbey is going to have to prove himself to be a lot more competent passing the ball before he thrives in a Ben Garner system.
  • Sponsored links:

Anyone said gilbey yet? If not I will take ‘Gilbey will thrive under garner’ if only Chris Gunter was here too, probably would’ve thrived under Garner too! 
    I can see it with DJ because he's a trickier winger that relies on skill and ball control to beat his man rather than a traditional speed merchant (like Blackett-Taylor for instance). Kirk has similar strengths to DJ which is what makes me excited for them both.

Gilbey is going to have to prove himself to be a lot more competent passing the ball before he thrives in a Ben Garner system.
    I get that but I feel way Too much hope is being put on players to turn it around, who quite simply haven’t performed for us. Expecting them to miraculously find end product or churn out performances, just cause of a change of manager is a lot to predict and expect.  
  • the thing that I don't get re Gilbey is that we got him from MKD who play passing attacking football and Gilbey was player of the year. So why shouldn't he thrive under BG now that he is over Coved and is fully fit? 

I get that but I feel way Too much hope is being put on players to turn it around, who quite simply haven’t performed for us. Expecting them to miraculously find end product or churn out performances, just cause of a change of manager is a lot to predict and expect.  
    Absolutely it is and I'm not expecting them to be world beaters but on the other hand, I also don't believe DJ or Kirk have had a fair chance to show what they can do in their favoured positions and I think some are writing them off (especially DJ) too soon.

Bowyer hardly played DJ before he moved on. He then played really well as part of the Adkins 4-3-3 team towards the end of that season.

Last season he played pretty much exclusively as a wing back. Kirk only made a few appearances where his heart wasn't in it before being sent out to Blackpool.

There's no reason to believe they can't contribute in an environment more suited to their talents.

It's not just a change of manager though,it's a complete change of system and style and arguably one that suits certain players a lot better than the roles they had last season.

Both DJ and Kirk struggled under Jackson's favoured tactics but it seems harsh to blame square pegs for not fitting round holes. At the very least I'd argue they deserve a chance to try before we wrote them off. If they really don't get any better under Garnerball then January/next summer off they go.
  • J BLOCK said:
    DJ was a case where we signed him because he was doing well, didn't fit into any sort of tactical system, as our managers who managed him didn't have one. 
    I think it was just a panic deadline day signing. We sold Williams that day and then bidded for pretty much every league 1 player that can play out wide. I don’t think we really wanted to sign him it was just the best that we could get on the day. Fortunately our transfers seem to have more long term thought to them now as before it was always short term 
  • I think Garner might get a tune out of DJ .
    Bloody frustrating player though .
  • Am I making this up or was somewhere it said that we wanted a smaller but better squad with more opportunities for young players to come through. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I making this up or was somewhere it said that we wanted a smaller but better squad with more opportunities for young players to come through. 
    I think it was said.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    experienced journeyman midfielder that can score goals... Awful photoshop. 

Is that our Fanny modelling the new ladies team shirt ?
    Oi ! 

I know I'm old but not THAT old ! 

Cheeky young b*gger! 
    Sorry FF . I meant to say our Raelynn .
    I think it was said.
    Thanks. Cant remember who said it was a good while ago but with some outgoings of the players that have been mentioned, I can see they will try and justify this as the tactic and position with proposed incomings as mentioned by Mr Buttle earlier
  • Players who can play in each position (so some names may appear twice) (X will be where I think we need further additions, bolded players I wouldn't be against moving on and replacing with better):

GK: MacGillivray, Wollacott, Harness

Full back/wing back: Egbo, Sessegnon, X, Clare, Blackett-Taylor

Centre back: O'Connell, Lavelle, X, Inniss, Elerewe, Clare, Dobson

Defensive mid: Dobson, McGrandles, Forster-Caskey, Clare

Midfield: Fraser, Forster-Caskey, McGrandles, Gilbey, Morgan, Clare

Winger: Kirk, DJ, Blackett-Taylor, X, Sessegnon, Egbo

Striker: Stockley, X, Aneke, Davison
    Agree with most of this, Callum, but don't think you can count CBT as a wing back, let alone a full back. The man doesn't know how to defend. Great going forward though. DJ looked much better in that role last season in my opinion. I am really hoping that the X up front is an up-grade on Washington, otherwise I think we are weaker up front than last year - hardly what is needed for a promotion challenge. I am still also concerned that we will struggle to score goals. We certainly need a huge improvement in the contribution from midfield to stand any chance.
    I think it was said.
    Thanks. Cant remember who said it was a good while ago but with some outgoings of the players that have been mentioned, I can see they will try and justify this as the tactic and position with proposed incomings as mentioned by Mr Buttle earlier
    I think TS said it.

I like DJ. None of our managers got a tune out of him but I think Garner can. Plus he was the Swindon advance party paving the way for the rest to follow.
    He's shit
    Very well put.

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

Just wading into this debate.

Aneke is a beast & his figures for the season before he left showed his goals per minutes was in the top 3.

HOWEVER 

That season he couldnt play even 90 mins, let alone sat/tues/sat. It's no good having a great striker if he can only play 50% of the time. Stockton I believe played 45 league games last season. 

If you are going to have Aneke at your club you are going to need at least 4 strikers.....and that doesn't include Davison. 

This!

Goals 19

In 20-21:

Last season:

Just wading into this debate.

Aneke is a beast & his figures for the season before he left showed his goals per minutes was in the top 3.

HOWEVER 

That season he couldnt play even 90 mins, let alone sat/tues/sat. It's no good having a great striker if he can only play 50% of the time. Stockton I believe played 45 league games last season. 

If you are going to have Aneke at your club you are going to need at least 4 strikers.....and that doesn't include Davison. 

Completely agree and have already said “if” concerning his chances of completing a reasonable amount of minutes.