Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Sage said:
    Sage said:
    We will see. Josh Parker was our second/third choice for half a season in 2019...
    Where he was in a team full of players better than League One level and many of whom either play in the Championship now, or better. Using Parker as an example is not comparable when Davison will be part of a team, where majority have failed for the last 1 or 2 seasons.

Two times we have been promoted from this league we have had BWP, Yann, and Haynes for half a season, 2 of which full season, and Taylor, Grant, and Igor for half a season, 2 of which full season. You need 2 or 3 top quality forwards for this league to get out of it. 
    Agreed. We have two in Stockley and Aneke. We need a third and Davison can be fourth choice. He won't get you out of your seat but he's a known quantity to both the rest of the squad and the new manager. Where's the problem with keeping him around?
    Problem is he takes up a squad place instead of someone with the quality we need to get out this league. Aneke won’t start many games so we need 2 more good additions and Davison to leave. Without that, we will struggle up top again, even with Stockley and Aneke likely to get 30-35 goals between them.
    If Stockley and Aneke got 30 goals, the new bloke got 10, that's 40 goals which betters the totals from BWP/Kermorgant and Taylor/Grant from previous promotion seasons. Why do we need a fourth striker with that same goalscoring ability that won't get many minutes but is going to cost a chunk of money that could be better used elsewhere?

If they decide it's in the budget that Davison should be moved on and replaced, I'm onboard with it because I don't think he's fantastic either. Just trying to temper expectations because we never end up with as many signings as everyone wants. It's a fact of life supporting Charlton.
    BWP, Yann, Taylor and Grant largely stayed fit all season. I agree we won't end up with four quality strikers but with Aneke as one of our strikers we need more depth than we had in those seasons. We also no longer have the luxury of being able to sign short term loans like Powell did.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Aneke in league one for us:

Apps 47 (most of which are from the bench)
    Goals 19

I don’t have the minutes per goal stats but I can assure anyone it’ll be very good.  If Chuks is fit, Chuks scores, at this level.  It’s only because of his terrible record with injury that we need another forward.  
    In 20-21:
    38 appearances (11 starts + 27 subs) - 1522 minutes. 15 goals.

Last season:
    9 appearances (4 starts + 5 subs) - 444 minutes. 4 goals.

Total: 19 goals in 1966 minutes. A goal every 103 minutes.
    What about his time at Birmingham ?
    “Aneke in league one for us”
     That is ignoring a part of his career that actually makes wose your already poor figures. 
    It’s ignoring a part of his career which is not in league one because we are not in league one.

Also, poor figures?  A goal every 103 minutes is superb, it was the best strike rate in league one 20/21.  This isn’t opinion, just basic maths.  
    Just wading into this debate.

Aneke is a beast & his figures for the season before he left showed his goals per minutes was in the top 3.

HOWEVER 

That season he couldnt play even 90 mins, let alone sat/tues/sat. It's no good having a great striker if he can only play 50% of the time. Stockton I believe played 45 league games last season. 

If you are going to have Aneke at your club you are going to need at least 4 strikers.....and that doesn't include Davison. 

You want us to sign three strikerI'm s?
    We definitely need to offload Davison and sign 2.
    Just my opinion 
    I'm expecting one and Davison to stay, personally. Maybe one and a half if we're after a winger that can also do a job up front.

Agree that we definitely need two if Davison goes.
    Davison is not a promotion winning forward imho. Aneke comes off the bench, not Davison, and no way will he start. So what’s his role?
    Impossible to read into, and will be interesting to see if there is anything different against Dartford.

But Davison played up front in a similar Stockley role last Saturday

Aneke on the other hand played as the attacking midfielder / support striker in the 4-2-3-1 type role, rather than as a Striker himself.

If thats the case its Davison vs Stockley for the starting spot against Accrington - So we definitely need a third Striker to compete with those two at the very least... If 4-2-3-1 became the first choice approach, then Aneke is almost there to compete with Fraser.

Unless of course thats going to be a change with DJ going back to the role he played for Swindon - As he pretty much played alongside Davison on Saturday.
    nothing impossible about it - sure he's a nice lad and he works hard but davison is not up to it and we need 2 strikers in
  • DJ will thrive under Garner IMHO
    Anyone said gilbey yet? If not I will take ‘Gilbey will thrive under garner’ if only Chris Gunter was here too, probably would’ve thrived under Garner too! 
    I can see it with DJ because he's a trickier winger that relies on skill and ball control to beat his man rather than a traditional speed merchant (like Blackett-Taylor for instance). Kirk has similar strengths to DJ which is what makes me excited for them both.

Gilbey is going to have to prove himself to be a lot more competent passing the ball before he thrives in a Ben Garner system.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Blackpool come in with a late bid for Kirk
  • Am I making this up or was somewhere it said that we wanted a smaller but better squad with more opportunities for young players to come through. 
    That's all very well if we had under 23s at a Joe Gomez level, we don't (to my limited knowledge) & just as we had the same idea last year the youth wasn't up to it so we then had to make panic signings to bolster the squad.
  • Is Stockley 100% fit & over his back problem?
    Last I knew he had no feeling in one of his legs, when he returned to the team. 
  • Rylo said:
    RedRobin said:
    Yeah can’t see Davison leaving, he was pretty good for Garner who I think will get the best out of him. 
    Hopefully the best is good enough for what we need. 
    He was hardly prolific in League 2. Expecting him to he better in League 1 is mystifying. 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    If Josh Davison is one of our 4 striking options this season, then we won't be making the top 6. Simple as that.
    Currently we only have 3 striking options. We've yet to get to 4. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    Surely not 3-5-2. It consigns DJ, Kirk and CBT to the bin. 4-3-3 must be the plan, so striker-wise Stockley, Chuks, Kanu and 1 more is enough, as I assume Davison will either be sold or go on loan.

It's 1 more goal scoring winger that we really need.
    I am not convinced that Kanu is ready to step up to the first team just yet.
    I am expecting a loan from a Prem club
    He's 17 & as I've said a couple of times JJ commented at the end of the season that Kanu is nowhere near ready for first team football. Mind you if Martins black box came up with Marquis until Garner vetoed that one who knows who else we are looking at. 
    He got 41 goals and continued scoring at u23 level. I don't get the whole "he's 17, he's not ready", he is clearly too good for our youth levels. We are in league 1. Rooney was playing for Everton at this point, if you're old enough, you're good enough. would like to see him given a go in pre-season, the kid clearly knows where the goal is.
    I've not seen him live, However JJ & his coaches have so although his tactics etc might not have suited us I'm happy to trust his judgement of a young player coming through. Yeah right Rooney was playing for Everton, how many other 17 year olds have you seen come through taking the game by storm ?  :D
  • The big unknown is what formation we will mainly play up front

Play with 2 strikers, then we need strikers who can play with the likes of Stockey and Aneke
    Play with a front 3, then we need forwards who can play in wider areas. We can't have wingers who don't score many goals there, they need to be more like Liverpool's wide forwards.
    Exactly
  • edited July 2022
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    We will see. Josh Parker was our second/third choice for half a season in 2019...
    Where he was in a team full of players better than League One level and many of whom either play in the Championship now, or better. Using Parker as an example is not comparable when Davison will be part of a team, where majority have failed for the last 1 or 2 seasons.

Two times we have been promoted from this league we have had BWP, Yann, and Haynes for half a season, 2 of which full season, and Taylor, Grant, and Igor for half a season, 2 of which full season. You need 2 or 3 top quality forwards for this league to get out of it. 
    Agreed. We have two in Stockley and Aneke. We need a third and Davison can be fourth choice. He won't get you out of your seat but he's a known quantity to both the rest of the squad and the new manager. Where's the problem with keeping him around?
    Problem is he takes up a squad place instead of someone with the quality we need to get out this league. Aneke won’t start many games so we need 2 more good additions and Davison to leave. Without that, we will struggle up top again, even with Stockley and Aneke likely to get 30-35 goals between them.
    If Stockley and Aneke got 30 goals, the new bloke got 10, that's 40 goals which betters the totals from BWP/Kermorgant and Taylor/Grant from previous promotion seasons. Why do we need a fourth striker with that same goalscoring ability that won't get many minutes but is going to cost a chunk of money that could be better used elsewhere?

If they decide it's in the budget that Davison should be moved on and replaced, I'm onboard with it because I don't think he's fantastic either. Just trying to temper expectations because we never end up with as many signings as everyone wants. It's a fact of life supporting Charlton.
    You are comparing apples with pears.....or certainly the number of each. You are saying 3 strikers (Stockley, Aneke + 1 other) could score more than just 2 strikers (BWP & Yann and Taylor & Grant).......and bearing in mind Grant left half way through the season. 

I'll confidently predict that Stockley & Aneke wont get more than the aforementioned 2 pairings of strikers that got us promoted. And you can also add in Mendonca & Hunt from 99/00 as another pairing that wouldn't be troubled.
  • edited July 2022

• edited July 2022
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

You are comparing apples with pears.....or certainly the number of each. You are saying 3 strikers (Stockley, Aneke + 1 other) could score more than just 2 strikers (BWP & Yann and Taylor & Grant).......and bearing in mind Grant left half way through the season. 

I'll confidently predict that Stockley & Aneke wont get more than the aforementioned 2 pairings of strikers that got us promoted. And you can also add in Mendonca & Hunt from 99/00 as another pairing that wouldn't be troubled.
    That would make sense if you were making the opposite point... of course I'm saying three strikers can outscore two and hence our situation isn't as dire as some are making out.

11/12: BWP + Kermorgant = 34 goals
    18/19: Taylor + Grant = 35 goals

Last two seasons, we had 28 & 34 from Stockley, Washington and Aneke. Going against the grain here but lack of goalscoring forwards hasn't been what's holding us back. 
    Agreed but we need to add more options. I'm not sure Stockley is capable of being our Ross Stewart, Will Keane or Michael Smith. Aneke would be capable of 20 goals but doesn't have enough minutes in him. If we can't get the goals from the forward line we need more from midfield/down the flanks. But yes, if we're smarter with possession and create a more settled defence then hopefully we won't need to score more than around 75 to go up. 
  • TEL said:
    Title needs to be changed.

Guess the formation and argue the toss thread

No it shouldn't.

• edited July 2022
    limeygent said:
    TEL said:
    Title needs to be changed.

Guess the formation and argue the toss thread

No it shouldn't.

I would suggest "futile and protracted formation guessing bollocks"

Play with 2 strikers, then we need strikers who can play with the likes of Stockey and Aneke
    Play with a front 3, then we need forwards who can play in wider areas. We can't have wingers who don't score many goals there, they need to be more like Liverpool's wide forwards.
    Nail on the head.

If we're playing a 433 then we don't need to worry about whether Davison will play (as he rarely will), we need to worry about signing a player like McKirdy.
  • Sponsored links:

• ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ! So where are the strikers ???

Very much agree with the Liverpool point.

Ive had a look at Swindon’s various teams throughout last season, it’s predominately 352 and 433, the reason most are saying it will likely be 433 is because that’s what he played consistently for the last quarter of the season and they found decent form.

If he goes with 433 we need a left back and winger/forward as a priority.

If he goes with 352 we need a centre back and a striker as a priority because you’d assume he’ll find use for our current wingers at wing back.

A decent coach will certainly have more than one formation up their sleeve so let’s see.  I know I sound like a broken record but Harry McKirdy ticks all the boxes in both formations, it just depends if Garner likes working with him or not.
  • Lots of unread posts, can’t see any rumours?
  • edited July 2022
    DDOUBLEE said:
    If Josh Davison is one of our 4 striking options this season, then we won't be making the top 6. Simple as that.
    Currently we only have 3 striking options. We've yet to get to 4. 
    We've got two Strikers... Davison and Stockley

Aneke is an attacking midfielder / support striker
    Jaiyesimi (the other to have played up front this summer) is a winger.
  • ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ! So where are the strikers ???
    Shurley its DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND CONCEED!